• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Grassroots PM side tournament. We can do it. It's just a matter of where and when.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
TL;DR I'm willing to head TO a side tourney at Apex and plan it ahead of time so it's good. But I seriously need help, because this is going to be a 100% grassroots effort. Who's interested? Who can bring set ups? Who wants to set up the set ups? Who wants to figure out where we can play? Who wants to help me organize it and run it?

PM players. This is a call to you. Our entire community. To anyone who wants to get a real competition going at Apex. Forget about your Nintendo salt. Forget about the Apex salt.

This tournament only happens once a year. If there is one tournament that smashers mark on their calendar to attend, it's this one. We have to make something happen.

We could just try and organize a side tourney on the day of. Or maybe the day before. And we actually could get one going. But would it be good? Would it take proper advantage of the sheer variety of talent that shows up to Apex? Would it generate real hype worthy of such a massive event? Would it provide the salt necessary for the poor peasants in the 20XX apocalypse to preserve their food?

No way. We need to start discussing details NOW so we can make this happen. I know in light of PM's exclusion at Apex, many in the PM community want to have a separate national as essentially our "Apex." I agree, but this exclusion was given on such short notice and committments to Apex have been made. Let's come through for those people.

For people who are well versed in running/organizing tournaments, you know what to do to help. For the rest of you who want to contribute but don't know where to start, read the spoiler below to get yourself up to speed.

[collapse= This is the majority (if not all) of what it takes:]

These are essentially all logistics. With my own TO experience, visiting big tournaments, and recent discussion with others, here are the biggest factors I've seen/dealt with

A. TO (Tournament Organizer) power. We need people who can organize and lead.

B. Set ups. Gotta have video games to actually play.

C. Venue. We need a place to play.

D. Scheduling. There are PM players who play other smash too. It would be perfect if we could schedule the side tournament so players don't have time conflicts with other games. It's impossible to determine this right now because the schedule for Apex isn't out yet, and the schedule won't be taking into account a PM side tourney.

The next set of factors aren't necessarily important for just getting a side tournament going, but they are quite necessary if we want to make it amazing.

E. Seeding. Organizing who will play who. This is the biggest smash event - people of all skills from so many regions will be in attendance. Many, if not all, are here to see how good they are compared to people from other regions. Obviously we want to make a fair tournament, where the best players don't have to play each other until the end. But we should also strive to ensure competitors play as many different people from different regions as possible. Great seeding that accomplishes this isn't possible without this next factor however.

F. Planning. Having the tournament already organized and set to go before the day of. Time at apex is valuable and there really isn't a lot of it. With great planning, the day(s) of the tournament can be so simple: competitors show up to the room and play their matches as directed until the tournament ends. Pre-regisration is a huge part of the planning stage and we absolutely should strive to have this. We want as much work done before tournament day as possible.

G. Number of entrants. This works in conjunction with all the above in figuring out ultimately if we can run things on time. The earlier we can know this, the better.

H. Tournament Format. Are we just going to do singles? Will we do singles and doubles? Are we gonna go straight double elim bracket, or maybe throw some round robins in there? If we do a straight bracket, and it's a huge bracket, will we break it up into waves so its easier to run? It's funny and kinda ironic that even though this is a tournament, the optimal way to pit the competitors against each other is the last thing you determine.[/collapse]

So how can you contribute? It's simple. You give your ideas/thoughts on how to get this thing going. And not just how to get it going, but how it can attain that premium quality.

What're really going to make or break this though are contributions. People who will organize. People who will bring set ups. People who will find places to play.

This is how grassroots we are: If four TOs post in this thread they're hungry for some real organization, and if 32 smashers post they can bring set ups, we're well on our way to something real. That's all it takes! Assuming they deliver of course.

While I don't want to think about it, there is a real possibility that given all the crazy activity at Apex (I volunteered there last year and got just a taste of it myself), we might not be able to host the amazing side tourney we want and have to deal with some horrible constraints. We may not have ideal space. We may not be able to avoid scheduling conflicts. Stay as grounded and as real as you can.

Now I am offering myself to head TO this whole thing. That doesn't mean I'm eager to run the whole thing myself (altho I would be quite comfortable doing so with up to ~100 entrants). Extra TO power goes such a long way. I'm a good candidate because of my overall experience this year. I lead TO a weekly that has had over 100 entrants during peak activity. I've participated in tournaments ranging from master level organization (Big House 4) to TOing nightmare (SKTAR 3) and the lessons of each are still fresh in my mind. Also I'm more devoted to PM than the other smash games, and we seriously need more TOs who'd prioritize PM over other smash games. But really, what matters more than skill and experience for this is the genuine desire to run it, which I have, and hopefully others as well.

For now, I would like to see how strong of an effort the community is willing to put in before I (and hopefully any other interested TOs) take the next steps to making this actually happen. If nobody can confirm or even express interest bringing set ups, then there's really no point in trying to plan this tournament ahead of time.

Direct anybody interested in a PM side tournament at Apex to this thread. Our discussion is scattered amongst so much social media and we need a unified place to share ideas. If people can't post on smashboards, speak on behalf of them, maybe even link to posts if they're public. I'll make a reddit/r/ssbpm post trying to get people here. My facebook isn't active at the moment, so if other people could go on facebook and direct people here that'd be amazing.

We must work as independently of the Apex staff as possible. Not because we hate them, nor to unleash pent up anger. They have made their decision to not be connected with PM. It might be a good idea to respect that.

We grassroots now, have been, and always will be. Let's embrace it and make something happen.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
In this post I'll post some of my own thoughts, record great ideas others have come up with that might get lost in a sea of posting, and keep a record of what contributions people can make.

Set ups: As a community, we should aim to be self-sufficient with our set ups. We shouldn't rely on extra wiis and/or CRTs from the Apex staff because those will more than likely be reserved for the other tournaments. I also hope that people will be open to playing on gaming monitors. The difference in lag with a proper HD set up vs a CRT is negligible, and these sorts of set ups are a lot easier to bring than CRTs. Really my only reservation with proper HD set ups is theft, one of my friends actually had her hd capture card stolen at apex last year. I can bring a set up. Edit: If people don't want to play on gaming monitors, I will respect that would not force anyone to do so.

Venue: Some ideas - We could go to a different venue nearby. We could use a bunch of peoples' hotel rooms if they're okay with that. A bunch of us could pitch in for a suite. If there happens to be a large empty room in the hotel, we could go there too.

Scheduling: Just as a thought exercise, we can try to work around last year's schedule to get ideas on minimizing time conflicts:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0rI_hFooBPdktDSEhqMEVCUzQ/edit
If Apex 2015 runs anything like Apex 2014, an obvious block of time to run a segment or the entirety (if we're really ambitious) of PM would be sunday before the top 8 of the earliest smash game. On friday and saturday, events tend to all end by 10pm, so we could try to run segments of PM starting at 10:30 pm. There were smash pools running at 10am on friday, so it might be safe to assume most people showed up thusday night. We could could use thursday evening for tournament time.

Also this updated schedule was posted on Jan 14th, just three days before the event. It's fairly common for smash tournaments to post their schedules just a few days before the event at best. This is a real constraint we're going to be working with for a long time and we will have to be able to function on a moment's notice.

Interest in contributing:

[collapse=TOs]
The NZA
Alex Colucci
The_Sir_Reginald
Umbreon
Fatality
Capps
[/collapse]

[collapse=set ups]

MLGF - A few
foxesOSGN - Around 6
The NZA - Potentially one
Steak House - Potentially a few
Samnitmar - Potentially a few
The_Sir_Reginald - Potentially one
Umbreon - Two
Fatality - One
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Sprawlers is a pretty stand-up guy so if you give him support, you can be sure he'll do his best.

Last edited:

alex colucci

Smash Cadet
If I go I'd be more than happy to help TO. I have TO'd SSS, UGC, E-Sports Arena League Viewing Party Smash Event, Vaporium Monthlies and my weekly tournament series called "Smash at SoCal Pizza"

I may be going to Apex with Sky, Xzax, Zex, Tyrant and all of them but need to talk to my sponsor first to see whats up :)

The_Sir_Reginald

Smash Rookie
I have nothing to really contribute (I've only TO'd very small events) except my support and possibly a setup. However, I strongly add my support in this and will do whatever I can to help!!!

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
The best way to show support for the PM community at the moment is simply to not attend APEX at all. Someone with money and influence, be that Nintendo or another third party, is clearly pulling strings and does not think we are worthy of being at the event, so we simply should not attend at all. I will not be going, and I will not be watching any streams or videos of the event. The only thing that matters to people who would treat a large portion of the community this way is money. They are afraid of PM's presence because they fear a mod overshadowing any of the "actual games". If you REALLY want to hold a PM tournament, I suggest finding a separate venue nearby to hold it at. Separate completely from APEX and show whoever is behind PM's exclusion that we would rather play the game we love than attend a big flashy event. Make it hurt their bottom line to exclude us, and they will take notice.

I know it sucks, but earning respect often requires sacrifices.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
The best way to show support for the PM community at the moment is simply to not attend APEX at all. Someone with money and influence, be that Nintendo or another third party, is clearly pulling strings and does not think we are worthy of being at the event, so we simply should not attend at all. I will not be going, and I will not be watching any streams or videos of the event. The only thing that matters to people who would treat a large portion of the community this way is money. They are afraid of PM's presence because they fear a mod overshadowing any of the "actual games". If you REALLY want to hold a PM tournament, I suggest finding a separate venue nearby to hold it at. Separate completely from APEX and show whoever is behind PM's exclusion that we would rather play the game we love than attend a big flashy event. Make it hurt their bottom line to exclude us, and they will take notice.

This is a terrible idea. How is the best way to show support to not attend Apex? Apex had it last year, and the reason they can't is most likely due to a sponsorship with Nintendo. "So we simply should not attent at all. I will not be going" No one really cares if you're going or not, or if you will support the games being present. Are you somebody in the community that is known and well liked? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard of you.

They have already taken notice that Project M isn't present by people issuing DEATH THREATS

Support the games that made Project M a reality. Its ONE tournament. Calm down.

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet

Have you ever heard of the phrase "Don't shoot the messenger?" In this scenario it's very likely that the APEX organizers are the messenger.

The best way to support both PM and APEX is to go to the tournament in the OP and play whatever game you're looking to play in the "real" Smash lineup during APEX.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Thanks for the word-of-mouth support Vigilante.

Updated the second post, noting contributions people that have posted on reddit/this thread can or potentially make.

Spread the word.

I've gotten satisfactory confirmation on set ups, so I'm going to take the next steps and figure out venue options. Stay tuned.

I heard on Twitter they can't even do a grassroots side one.

Is this true?
If by "they" you mean the Apex staff, then yes, 100%. They can't be associated whatsoever with a PM tournament. It's up to PM players to do it, and luckily, it can be done. And not only can it be done, it can be done in a way that the Apex staff and Nintendo have absolutely no association with it. In fact if we're really good, we could get it done in a way that Apex/Nintendo could feign ignorance or be actually ignorant about it. It could happen right under their nose and they wouldn't know. That's being overly optimistic, but it'd definitely be a fun goal to achieve.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
What I was asking was if you tried to host there, they would let it go and not shut it down due to sponsorship and the like?

D

Deleted member

i love grassroots. the first melee nationals had people flying in from all over the country and they were still under 100 entrants.

i can help you TO and i'll bring two full setups

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
If this is legally possible you have yourself an organizational talent right here. I've organized countless events involving smash and outside of smash (I helped organize the Circus World Museum Gala for 4 years). I'm not sure I can attend Apex, but I can definately help settle all of the logistics involved in running the event including registration, setups needed, booking venue space if needed, the whole shibang. I don't want to see one of our games not at Apex so count me in to help in any way possible! I'll even ship my wii to someone to use it if I gotta :D

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
Nintendo specifically asked that PM not be at the event and you guys want to have it there any ways, this is a great idea, could not backfire, 10/10

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
I used to be Georgia's premier TO for PM, I don't really do it anymore, but I'd be happy to help you with small things like seeding, pool captaining, yelling for people's matches, and such during my down time. I'll bring a PM setup of course, and I'll also start sharing this thread with lots of different groups. Best of luck with this man, I've got faith in you :)

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I didn't read the article, nor do I care.
You miss the point, they are figuring out the best course of action here. If holding it at the same event, which is obviously ideal, doesn't pan out they are discussing alternatives. I don't see 10/10 backfire... because we're dealing with people who are open to change. This is home made fun they're cooking up in the absence of something they hoped for, not entitled children complaining.

Good luck all,
I don't play PM but hope you guys can make something out of this.

BombsOnBombs

Smash Cadet
Its kinda obvious you did not read it, try reading slowly and go line by line
RELIABLE SOURCES HAVE TOLD ESPORTS HEAVEN THAT THE ALREADY-CONTROVERSIAL APEX SERIES EVENT IN JANUARY 2015 WILL BE DROPPING PROJECT M FROM ALL AREAS, INCLUDING THE SALTY SUITE, AT THE REQUEST OF JAPANESE GAMES GIANT NINTENDO. THE COMPANY IS INVOLVED WITH APEX IN AN ATTEMPT TO PROMOTE SMASH 4 TO THE COMPETITIVE AUDIENCE, AND AS A RESULT THE NEW PM BUILD HAS BEEN EXPUNGED FROM THE SCHEDULES ENTIRELY.

Oh, cool, so nothing confirmed, so tl;dr you linked us to an article that knows as much as we do. Thanks for that!

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
yeah sure i'll come. Guaranteed I'll bring a setup and a large TV ; might also bring a couple more of each as well as some smashers from montreal.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I'll let all the pm players in my area know about this, we were super bummed when pm got removed from apex but this community's biggest strength is the ability to overcome any road block and keep moving forward.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly willing to come from Florida with a full setup using a CRT. Hell, if this is actually going to happen, I know that I could get a whole car filled with players and setups to match.

Despite that however, I believe the first course of action isn't checking availability, but rather, checking if this is something that could be done without repercussions. I'm going be real here, from what I know, this is the situation:

Nintendo DOES NOT want PM associated in any way with Apex 2015.

It goes without saying that if Nintendo wants no sort of PM at Apex, that having a PM tournament in the same venue would only cause problems. After all, Nintendo has the power to pull the plug on PM whenever they want. Let's no forget that guys. Remember, this is one tournament, pissing off Nintendo could result in them killing our game for all the tournaments to come.

Here's what I propose we do:

-Ask someone organizing Apex if this is ok-
I say this because they have an inside perspective into whether or not this is a bad move for PM's life. Like I mentioned before, we want to insure we avoid pissing off Nintendo.

-Find a completely separate venue-
We want this tournament be completely disassociated with Apex 2015 in every way except relative location and timing. Nintendo is a lot less likely to care about it if it's in a different place, even if it's nearby. We need someone, particularly that lives in the area, to look around for a place to host. Distance from Apex, price, and space are all of key importance. Right now we need to evaluate what the options are, so getting a variety would be best.

-Evaluate potential participation-
A poll should be made to determine what sort of attendance would be expected with our options of hosting laid out, assuming Apex crew doesn't say that this could be the tournament that kills PM. From this point, the decision can be made about location and numbers can be generated on things like how many setups we'll need for time available, people needed to run, etc.

-Assemble TO team-
From here, an appropriate team can be assembled and the remaining steps will should obviously be determined by them.

Take it as you will, these are my two cents on the matter;.

Best Asura ARAD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gyran_ssb
I thought the major issue with PM being at APEX was that Nintendo sponsored it and their terms of services goes against modifications to their games; aka legal reasons prevented it. I've yet to hear about...death threats, jesus. I really hope that didn't happen.
Also, in the case that the issue IS legal reasoning, we do have this to chew on, although I'm not quite certain on what this could mean for PM's presence or lack thereof at APEX; http://www.gamnesia.com/news/ninten...icially-be-used-for-fan-projects#.VGvp_MlNcs1
I'm actually a little surprised no one mentioned this here yet.

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
Also, in the case that the issue IS legal reasoning, we do have this to chew on, although I'm not quite certain on what this could mean for PM's presence or lack thereof at APEX; http://www.gamnesia.com/news/ninten...icially-be-used-for-fan-projects#.VGvp_MlNcs1
the same day PM got removed from salty suite. All this article means is that PM is likely, but no certainly, in the green of a C&D, nothing more.

That being said, if we keep organizing bigger and bigger side events / main events of project M, we might pull off a Counter-Strike / Team Fortress / DotA.

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
So do we have confirmation that this is happening? It basically will make or break it if I decide to go to Apex.

Going just for Melee wouldn't cut it.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Ever thought about running it out of your hotel rooms? Pretty sure there's no reason you can't do that ;)

Spralwers

Smash Ace
So do we have confirmation that this is happening? It basically will make or break it if I decide to go to Apex.

Going just for Melee wouldn't cut it.
I feel ya. Unless we find a separate venue and confirm it, it'll be hard to get an early confirmation about running this thing. There are definitely enough people who'd bring set ups and whatnot that I would go ahead and host this thing. Just a matter of where and when at this point.

Ever thought about running it out of your hotel rooms? Pretty sure there's no reason you can't do that ;)
Definitely an option - just a matter of how many people are open to do this.

same date as apex btw ?
Date is hard to confirm right now, but the day before would probably be the best assuming people can get there early enough.

Pretty much, you've echoed a lot of my ideas and I agree with the rest. I'll try to add a poll to this topic.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Definitely an option - just a matter of how many people are open to do this.
I would bring a TV down for you guys if I wasn't going by greyhound. :( If you guys run it out of your hotel rooms, it's onsite which makes it great for people that are also entered in other games, and is probably outside the jurisdiction of the actual event itself. Plus... hotel smash, dude!

Hopefully things work out for the PM players.

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
Date is hard to confirm right now, but the day before would probably be the best assuming people can get there early enough.
I wanna get my train ticket asap, I don't mind arriving a date early if it means I can buy my ticket now. Just need to be 100% sure that the event will happen and need the approx date.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I wanna get my train ticket asap, I don't mind arriving a date early if it means I can buy my ticket now. Just need to be 100% sure that the event will happen and need the approx date.
When's your deadline for getting tickets?

Overall, it's looking like we'll have to run this side tournament through hotel rooms, or at a separate venue.

Rizner

Smash Ace
How would you schedule this so there aren't conflicts with other event times? What is the plan if apex staff says stop partway through?

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
When's your deadline for getting tickets?

Overall, it's looking like we'll have to run this side tournament through hotel rooms, or at a separate venue.
I have no true deadline, but I'm a college student paying for his own tuition and rent so asap would be nice.

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
I can't personally do anything to help this, but you can ask the texas players if they are willing to help. Oracle would be a great person to help you TO if he was willing to do so because of his experience and love for pm over all other games

Oracle

Smash Master
If I were going to Apex, I would help out. But logistically, it seems nearly impossible. My advice would be to just save your money and time going to a different national that actually has PM as a main event. It does suck that PM isn't on the lineup, but at the end of the day its not our decision, and Apex isn't the only national in the world.

Top Bottom