• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grapple Beam recovery problem

Spleeman

Smash Rookie
I might be doing something wrong, and I am in no way a pro player, just an enthusiast. Almost every time I attempt the grapple beam recovery, the game interprets my z-button press as an aerial attack rather than an air grapple. Is there any way that this can be either fixed/that I can do something different such that the air grapple is more consistent?

Spleeman

Smash Rookie
No, it still happens even when I don't use the bomb jump. Thanks for the reply though.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
If you're in tumble, Z will trigger attack rather than grapple. I assume this is because the Z macro in Brawl/PM is hard press R/L + attack. And you can't air-dodge out of tumble.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
You need to be out of tumble animation before it works. Wiggle your stick until she's in normal falling animation, then you're fine.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Additionally, you should almost always air-dodge before tethering to maneuver yourself or get extra distance before latching. Just hold R/L->press A.

Spleeman

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will test these and come back if I'm still having issues.

Top Bottom