• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition is Releasing on Switch Later this Year

gta nintendo thumbnail.jpg

After lots of speculation, today it was confirmed that definitive versions of the first three 3D GTA titles will be releasing on all platforms, including the Nintendo Switch. The news comes just weeks before the 20th anniversary of GTA III, one of the most memorable titles of the early 2000's as well as the first 3D GTA game.

The games included in the trilogy are the three games that put Rockstar Games on the map and helped define the PS2 era of videogames. They are as follows:
  • GTA III (2001): The first 3D entry of the series, GTA III has silent protagonist Claude embark on a revenge story while doing odd jobs throughout Liberty City (based on New York City).
  • GTA: Vice City (2002): Set in 1986, Tommy Vercetti takes over different enterprises to become the underground ruler of Vice City (based on Miami).
  • GTA: San Andreas (2004): Set in 1992, Carl "CJ" Johnson returns to the fictional state of San Andreas (based on Western California/Nevada) to help bring the Grove Street gang back to power. Holds the distinct honor of being the best-selling game for the best-selling video game system in history (PS2).
1633744082072.png

It is currently unknown as to whether these will be complete reimaginings of the classic games or just simple touch ups. However, Rockstar Games has stated that all current versions of these games will be removed from digital storefronts next week. If you were planning on picking up a Steam copy of the original versions of one of these games, now is the time to get them.

The release of the trilogy's Definitive Edition marks the first time in history that 3D GTA games will be available on Nintendo systems. Past GTA outings on Nintendo consoles were limited to a Game Boy Color ports of the first 2D games (Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto II), GTA: Advance on the Game Boy Advance, and GTA: Chinatown Wars on the Nintendo DS. Hopefully the supply of Rockstar Games titles for Nintendo systems doesn't end here, as the company has many other hit games such as the Red Dead series, Bully, and all of the later GTA entries.

Author's Note: While I'm not letting my hopes get too high since this could just be a minor graphic update, I'm still super excited to play these games on Switch! What are your thoughts on this recent news? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

However, Rockstar Games has stated that all current versions of these games will be removed from digital storefronts next week. If you were planning on picking up a Steam copy of the original versions of one of these games, now is the time to get them.
This is garbage. I'd rather have the originals still up in case they force you to sign up to their dumb social club in order to play the remasters like they do with their other modern games. Hopefully they still honor those of us who bought the originals and don't remove them from our libraries.

Please tell the that this game will not censor content (aside from Hot Coffee of course, that one i understand)

AND PLEASE TELL THAT THIS ISN'T A ****ING CLOUD VERSION. THE DISSAPOINTMENT I FELT WITH THE KINGDOM HEARTS SWITCH REVEAL WAS IMMENSE.
But you cant even acsess it without modding and its the switch version!

This is garbage. I'd rather have the originals still up in case they force you to sign up to their dumb social club in order to play the remasters like they do with their other modern games. Hopefully they still honor those of us who bought the originals and don't remove them from our libraries.
Aren’t the versions on steam just the mobile ports moved to steam and often considered really crappy ports? I don’t really blame them for taking them off in this case since there’s a way better version and the old versions are still downlodable for phones

But you cant even acsess it without modding and its the switch version!
I know, that's why im not gonna lose sleep if Hot Coffe doesn't come back as it was not meant to make it into the final game. (that, and i don't think Rockstar wants their remaster to have an "Adults Only" label instead of the more mainstream "Mature".

Aren’t the versions on steam just the mobile ports moved to steam and often considered really crappy ports? I don’t really blame them for taking them off in this case since there’s a way better version and the old versions are still downlodable for phones
They aren't good yeah, but at least there are mods to help make them more stable.

As for the rest, it depends on what these remakes actually entail. If it really is just a straight remaster, as long as it can be run on older PCs, this wouldn't be a terrible thing. But if they add their modern bull****, such as forcing you to sign up to their social club as a piracy check or microtransactions, I would want the originals that still look decent enough to warrant not dealing with that nonsense. Same too if this is done in the vein of the Saint's Row remasters, where they change parts of the game to "suit modern tastes" or whatever term they use to justify censorship.

In other words, it is not a "way better version" if they decide to make unnecessary changes. I'd rather stick with my terrible PC port or simply emulate the PS2 version in that case. I'd love something like the Resident Evil remaster (2015), but I don't trust Rockstar not to pull something.

Ah this was and is my favourite game till date. this ones amazing.

After lots of speculation, today it was confirmed that definitive versions of the first three 3D GTA titles will be releasing on all platforms, including the Nintendo Switch. The news comes just weeks before the 20th anniversary of GTA III, one of the most memorable titles of the early 2000's as well as the first 3D GTA game.

The games included in the trilogy are the three games that put Rockstar Games on the map and helped define the PS2 era of videogames. They are as follows:
  • GTA III (2001): The first 3D entry of the series, GTA III has silent protagonist Claude embark on a revenge story while doing odd jobs throughout Liberty City (based on New York City).
  • GTA: Vice City (2002): Set in 1986, Tommy Vercetti takes over different enterprises to become the underground ruler of Vice City (based on Miami).
  • GTA: San Andreas (2004): Set in 1992, Carl "CJ" Johnson returns to the fictional state of San Andreas (based on Western California/Nevada) to help bring the Grove Street gang back to power. Holds the distinct honor of being the best-selling game for the best-selling video game system in history (PS2).

It is currently unknown as to whether these will be complete reimaginings of the classic games or just simple touch ups. However, Rockstar Games has stated that all current versions of these games will be removed from digital storefronts next week. If you were planning on picking up a Steam copy of the original versions of one of these games, now is the time to get them.

The release of the trilogy's Definitive Edition marks the first time in history that 3D GTA games will be available on Nintendo systems. Past GTA outings on Nintendo consoles were limited to a Game Boy Color ports of the first 2D games (Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto II), GTA: Advance on the Game Boy Advance, and GTA: Chinatown Wars on the Nintendo DS. Hopefully the supply of Rockstar Games titles for Nintendo systems doesn't end here, as the company has many other hit games such as the Red Dead series, Bully, and all of the later GTA entries.

Author's Note: While I'm not letting my hopes get too high since this could just be a minor graphic update, I'm still super excited to play these

Author's Note: While I'm not letting my hopes get too high since this could just be a minor graphic update, I'm still super excited to play these games on Switch! What are your thoughts on this recent news? Let us know in the comments below!
19216811.bid
panorama charter

Last edited:
Top Bottom