• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Here's what double edged sword is used for.
In and out.
Assassins. Or ones with burst like vi jarvan lee etc.

Ad carries don't do that, better masteries available with that one point (LIKE WARLORD :D ) and if you're getting attacked by more than one person (which you usually are as adc) then uhoh, you're dishing out 1.5 damage on one target but 2-3 others are dishing out that exact same to you too.
uhoh
And I did interact with your point but alright :^)

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The debater icon means you people will argue to the ends of the earth till you win. It's quite annoying really.
I'd rather someone argue back than just be condescending and toxic all the time

Also isn't it funny how you're allowed to respond all the time, insults included. But if someone with a debater icon responds back with mathematical proof you resort to 'can't debate with the icon, they always argue back'

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I give mathmatical stuff too... just lazy and don't wanna argue math the next 5 hours with debaters :(
At 6 in the morning no less.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The reason is twofold:

1. Bot lane is all about making advantageous trades

2. You will get ganked and you will get dived in teamfights.

3. You will occasionally have tight fights,

Sure, it's a bigger damage increase then warlord, but you're subjectively arguing that it's better based on what YOU value and the fact is the subjective valuing of the extra damage dealt over the amped damage taken. Sinister Slush disagrees with that valuation, viewing a weaker damage increase without the downside as more valuable.

I won't say whose right, but due to that damage having the ability to make to make the difference between surviving and not in a number of situations whereas warlord is always a net benefit makes it entirely justified.

Characterizing sinister's issue with it as arguing with basic math is entirely wrong, it's an issue of what sinister is valuing.

Last edited:

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
The reason is twofold:

1. Bot lane is all about making advantageous trades

2. You will get ganked and you will get dived in teamfights.

3. You will occasionally have tight fights,

Sure, it's a bigger damage increase then warlord, but you're subjectively arguing that it's better based on what YOU value and the fact is the subjective valuing of the extra damage dealt over the amped damage taken. Sinister Slush disagrees with that valuation, viewing a weaker damage increase without the downside as more valuable.

I won't say whose right, but due to that damage having the ability to make to make the difference between surviving and not in a number of situations whereas warlord is always a net benefit makes it entirely justified.

Characterizing sinister's issue with it as arguing with basic math is entirely wrong, it's an issue of what sinister is valuing.
No, you forget how he started antagonizing in between my civil conversation with cherilee, by saying double edge sword does negligible damage. I then showed, well if this is the case, then warlord does even less damage. He then ignored everything I said and just stated AS I'M SO BIG DIAMOND FACT that warlord > double edge sword - and without justification. No, I'm not arguing subjectively based on what I value, what I subjectively value brought forth the discussion which lead to discussing the merits. "I won't say whose right" what makes you the authority now?

Look, I know that warlord always is a net benefit (well, incrorect - actually not in the case of start of game where it's +0ad) and I know the that DES always gives more damage but with negative consequences. But that doesn't change your mischaracterisation of the progression of the conversation.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No, you forget how he started antagonizing in between my civil conversation with cherilee, by saying double edge sword does negligible damage. I then showed, well if this is the case, then warlord does even less damage. He then ignored everything I said and just stated AS I'M SO BIG DIAMOND FACT that warlord > double edge sword - and without justification. No, I'm not arguing subjectively based on what I value, what I subjectively value brought forth the discussion which lead to discussing the merits. "I won't say whose right" what makes you the authority now?

Look, I know that warlord always is a net benefit (well, incrorect - actually not in the case of start of game where it's +0ad) and I know the that DES always gives more damage but with negative consequences. But that doesn't change your mischaracterisation of the progression of the conversation.
You're assuming that the initial post's intended meaning was that the damage was negligible relative to other options as opposed to that the damage increase was too negligible to offset it's downside AND beat other options. We all know that it has the damage received attribute and it's trivial to recognize the extra damage from warlord is less then the extra damage from double edged sword, why do you assume that he was stupid rather then simply assuming you'd understand that he meant that it didn't sufficiently offset the downside?

But if you actually believed his initial post was because he was ignorant, he made it clear the next post, yet you continued to harp on strict construction of his initial post in the discussion.

His complaint with debators seems to be that they attempt to cage you in with sophism rather then actual content. Right now you're a good illustration of this, try to understand what the other person is trying to say before you attempt to hammer it to death.

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he made it clear at all in the next post, especially as he didn't explicit engage with much of the things i said at all.

I'm not attempting to cage in at all, in fact I tried to be thorough in engaging in the actual content, especially with my point by point response. Seems ludicrous that since I've shown in the past to use reason to support my claims, that people won't properly engage with the justification I provide.

Well if I you're going to instruct me to understand what the other person is saying, I'm hoping you'll be consistent and also exhort them to be clear.

I mean look at it from my perspective, he says stuff like "Literally all the good players do this past gold." How am I meant to interpret this other than, you're a trash silver player I'm diamond, hur de hur. It's nothing other than antagonistic and totally not necessary, but I don't see anyone calling him out on it.

Not going to respond further on this matter, tbh, it just feels like there's a bias against me because I occasionally support Dre who everyone here hates lol. Probably go back to lurking and not engaging here since the sense of community is so off-putting.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Warning Received
This is why I despise people from the debater's group. Stay in there and don't leave. :applejack:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I never thought riot could make someone more frustrating to play against than akali or ekko, but they did. I hate new fiora with a passion. From her rng based free damage, her rediculous aoe healing on her ult, to her low cd dash+on hit, her steroid and free crit, and on top of it all a parry that's somehow more annoying than spell shields, windwalls, or her old parry. Shes so dumb.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I don't think he made it clear at all in the next post, especially as he didn't explicit engage with much of the things i said at all.
He said that you were forgetting about the fact that it increases damage done to you, your response was to say that of course you remember while blithely ignoring how that made it clear that his evaluation was based on that, not simply raw damage.

The fact that he used an exasperated tone for it because he thought it should've been obvious that's what he meant doesn't make it any less a clarification.

I'm not attempting to cage in at all, in fact I tried to be thorough in engaging in the actual content, especially with my point by point response. Seems ludicrous that since I've shown in the past to use reason to support my claims, that people won't properly engage with the justification I provide.
Information and analysis are great when they're topical. Problem is you were throwing it at a straw man. That makes it sophism over content.

Well if I you're going to instruct me to understand what the other person is saying, I'm hoping you'll be consistent and also exhort them to be clear.
I don't seem to remember stating that I view being initially a little vague as bad as strawmanning somebody, even if unintended.

I mean look at it from my perspective, he says stuff like "Literally all the good players do this past gold." How am I meant to interpret this other than, you're a trash silver player I'm diamond, hur de hur. It's nothing other than antagonistic and totally not necessary, but I don't see anyone calling him out on it.
Sure it was, doesn't make him wrong on the sophism.

Not going to respond further on this matter, tbh, it just feels like there's a bias against me because I occasionally support Dre who everyone here hates lol. Probably go back to lurking and not engaging here since the sense of community is so off-putting.
Have you considered that you're reversing causations? People dislike dre here because of his debating style, if you have a similarly sophist style you'd see nothing wrong with it therefore be more likely to defend him and similarly annoy people with your argument style.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
I never thought riot could make someone more frustrating to play against than akali or ekko, but they did. I hate new fiora with a passion. From her rng based free damage, her rediculous aoe healing on her ult, to her low cd dash+on hit, her steroid and free crit, and on top of it all a parry that's somehow more annoying than spell shields, windwalls, or her old parry. Shes so dumb.
Laning against her is remarkably annoying. However, she is absolutely useless in team fights. Especially when you pick a strong team fight oriented champion that provides a lot of AoE damage where she is forced to participate when you group mid and start pushing for objectives. With old Fiora you could really bring your leads in laning phase to teamfights by hitting that R button, hitting Ravenous Hydra, and chasing whoever is still alive with Q + W/E buffs. This new Fiora however seems absolutely lost in the middle of a teamfight and relies on following up on a catch out in order to actually be useful. I think that a source of her being so annoying in laning phase is because you can barely neutralize her with two forms of crowd control. However, if she is still able to parry the hard cc and gap close through a slow, you're still going to have to deal with her being in auto-range (which isn't an issue in a team fight because now she is in auto-range of your entire team).

I never tried laning against her with Darius. I did have a horrible laning experience with her as flash + smite Teemo (on-hit build) where she was calling me out for playing trash tier "AD Teemo". It was totally worth it in the super late game to finish Sated Devourer and Runaan's to proc Blade of the Ruined King + Toxic Shot. Not so much in the game with Fiora, but in the previous game where the enemy line was super tanky.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Ironically you didn't have to debate with anyone in order to get the debater post-bit. The sub-forum just attracted people who took a simple conversation and tried to scrutinize it for no reason. People tend to forget that you don't "win" a debate. The only reason to talk to someone is to embrace ideas to change yourself or to influence other people to make a change. In this sense, attempting to break down a conversation point by point is sophistry when you are attempting to win an imaginary debate when you should be deciding whether having this conversation will either help you or help them.

I also don't understand why people act offended when someone from a higher elo is taking time out to give advice. You may disagree with them, however acting like they're taking advantage of you is ridiculous when they are spending time to give you advice on how to positively impact your game from their mind regardless of how they say it. Expecting people to sugar-coat freelo information is absurd. Arguing about it is absurd. We have team builder where you can play literally the same champion and change one mastery value to determine whether changing it makes a difference or not. We may not have a sandbox mode, however Team Builder comes close to being used as a concentrated form of practice on one champion with minor variations.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Speaking about higher elo players using their time to inform the uninformed masses reminds me of something silly I saw in my city's smash fb group.
Someone from leap of faith trying to give smash lessons that pays like absurd dumb prices. But then I remember league lessons for a few hours is in the hundreds too while ELO boosting is in the thousands so nvm.

Enjoy my free quality diamond ELO advice, FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK TWITTER TWITCH AND SUBSCRIBE TO MY YT, DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THAT DONATE BUTTON :^)

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Speaking about higher elo players using their time to inform the uninformed masses reminds me of something silly I saw in my city's smash fb group. Someone from leap of faith trying to give smash lessons that pays like absurd dumb prices. But then I remember league lessons for a few hours is in the hundreds too while ELO boosting is in the thousands so nvm. Enjoy my free quality diamond ELO advice, FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK TWITTER TWITCH AND SUBSCRIBE TO MY YT, DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THAT DONATE BUTTON :^)
I hate people who complain about being victims.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Speaking about higher elo players using their time to inform the uninformed masses reminds me of something silly I saw in my city's smash fb group.
Someone from leap of faith trying to give smash lessons that pays like absurd dumb prices. But then I remember league lessons for a few hours is in the hundreds too while ELO boosting is in the thousands so nvm.

Enjoy my free quality diamond ELO advice, FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK TWITTER TWITCH AND SUBSCRIBE TO MY YT, DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THAT DONATE BUTTON :^)
See smash lessons in az are really cheap. Just buy Tai Chipotle and he will grind sets with you and point out all your weaknesses for hours.

Leauge isn't even that hard, it's just small optimizations with how you get your numbers, then standing in the right spot and aiming well. You make mostly long term decisions, and short term interactions are normally small trades until late game, and you have a free blink every 4 min if you ever do mess up. I guess staying focused for long times in long grind sessions can be hard. Pro/ranked teams is just the same planning and micro but on a map wide scale I feel.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Leauge isn't even that hard, it's just small optimizations with how you get your numbers, then standing in the right spot and aiming well. You make mostly long term decisions, and short term interactions are normally small trades until late game, and you have a free blink every 4 min if you ever do mess up. I guess staying focused for long times in long grind sessions can be hard. Pro/ranked teams is just the same planning and micro but on a map wide scale I feel.
Eliminating team risk when you have people who never drop the free ward or sell an un-upgraded hunter blade and face check dragon pit after the enemy team cleans up mid and bot lane in order to obviously do dragon and now give the enemy two towers because waves were pushed can involve more soul searching than anything else.

How about mid Fizz staying in top lane with Yasuo for the first three minutes of the game with tp/ignite giving Ahri free waves despite you pinging him to stop being a jackass. And this is after you told the team you are doing a level 3 dragon and need lane presence mid and bot. You know what's surreal is the fact that the selfish **** doesn't even use TP but walks back down with Ahri having a level 3 advantage to his level 1 and getting chunked out twice.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
We extended a game by ten minutes after getting Baron with two inhibs down because Yasuo tried to get the last lane with all tier towers and last inhib calling me a scrub for explaining to him there was only one inner tower left at 1/3 health and we could just end by using Baron empowered super minions to push the enemy team in.

However, I decided to give up because the worst thing to do was to act selfish and try to split push mid with Baron powered superminions alone so I followed Team Yasuo and we wasted the baron buff before we could get the inner tower with my team getting impatient and dive bombing them leading us to wait 40 seconds before we could end the game without the Baron buff.

Being chat restricted though has honestly made me realize how pointless it is to even try communicating with your teammates when you tell them jungler is in the bush for a 3 v. 2 and they face check it to see if you are right. Then tell you to shut up because you're shot calling and throw them off. You just have to light up the map for them and pray that when you ping a visible gank from your ward that they actually run away. Again a coin flip as sometimes they choose to fight just to spite you and ask if you're mad.

It's not that you make bad macro decisions. The game is about making the best decisions while the team is making bad macro decisions which is not easy and causes you to always change your play to adapt to the worst case situations.

That's the appeal of Solo-Q. Working with a new deck of strangers and seeing how they play things out and playing your hand accordingly.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
If you makeb another wall....:applejack:
He who fights walls :p

Ironically you didn't have to debate with anyone in order to get the debater post-bit. The sub-forum just attracted people who took a simple conversation and tried to scrutinize it for no reason. People tend to forget that you don't "win" a debate. The only reason to talk to someone is to embrace ideas to change yourself or to influence other people to make a change. In this sense, attempting to break down a conversation point by point is sophistry when you are attempting to win an imaginary debate when you should be deciding whether having this conversation will either help you or help them.
I don't think breaking down things point by point is inherently sophistry, it depends on the objective. Breaking down point by point is effective at illustrating central points but can be used to obscure them as well by battering down with irrelevant information.

I also don't understand why people act offended when someone from a higher elo is taking time out to give advice. You may disagree with them, however acting like they're taking advantage of you is ridiculous when they are spending time to give you advice on how to positively impact your game from their mind regardless of how they say it. Expecting people to sugar-coat freelo information is absurd. Arguing about it is absurd. We have team builder where you can play literally the same champion and change one mastery value to determine whether changing it makes a difference or not. We may not have a sandbox mode, however Team Builder comes close to being used as a concentrated form of practice on one champion with minor variations.

Well just because somebody is at a higher elo doesn't necessarily make them right on each individual point, Elo illustrates skill overall, it doesn't mean complete knowledge. In the end, logic should carry the day. The issue is the use of sophism to obscure.

Because this isn't a contest of skills, it's about what's right and when a person realizes they're incorrect or that they misunderstand what the other person is saying they should acknowledge it if they still disagree, deal with their opponent's actual argument.

Granted, sometimes it can be a subconscious misunderstanding of their opponent's argument (eg I think Jaswa wanted to believe that only damage was meant because it would make the discussion so much easier so even after it was clarified he dismissed it) but it still comes from a mentality of caring about you being right instead of what's right.

Not like it can't happen in the opposite situation, but DH does tend to cultivate that mentality.

Also decency in delivery > all, being great at the game doesn't excuse being a jerk, though what was said was less being a jerk and more venting at the "DH mentality".

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
We extended a game by ten minutes after getting Baron with two inhibs down because Yasuo tried to get the last lane with all tier towers and last inhib calling me a scrub for explaining to him there was only one inner tower left at 1/3 health and we could just end by using Baron empowered super minions to push the enemy team in.

However, I decided to give up because the worst thing to do was to act selfish and try to split push mid with Baron powered superminions alone so I followed Team Yasuo and we wasted the baron buff before we could get the inner tower with my team getting impatient and dive bombing them leading us to wait 40 seconds before we could end the game without the Baron buff.

Being chat restricted though has honestly made me realize how pointless it is to even try communicating with your teammates when you tell them jungler is in the bush for a 3 v. 2 and they face check it to see if you are right. Then tell you to shut up because you're shot calling and throw them off. You just have to light up the map for them and pray that when you ping a visible gank from your ward that they actually run away. Again a coin flip as sometimes they choose to fight just to spite you and ask if you're mad.

It's not that you make bad macro decisions. The game is about making the best decisions while the team is making bad macro decisions which is not easy and causes you to always change your play to adapt to the worst case situations.

That's the appeal of Solo-Q. Working with a new deck of strangers and seeing how they play things out and playing your hand accordingly.
My solution to super baddies has been to place in high silver every season and climb from there

Idk man I just enter each lobby and say fill. So much easier, I normally end up with not adc so I can play a comfort pick who will always be decent, then I make plays if I recognize the opponent lane is horrible, or just stay safe and help other lanes. More often than not I get support, which is great. I'd rather be a great support with a bad adc than be a good adc with a bad support. Bad leos will engage when you have a fresh wave on your turret, die or bait you to give their Cait the double, then blame you/the jungler for farming instead of fighting. A bad adc will still just CS under turret while you baby sit and help them prep casters. Then you get the added benefit of making the plays, setting up the ganks, etc. You get to make huge impacts to the game by building utility and slapping vision around. Support/jungle most important rolls

Player-3

Smash Hero
tbh the best advice i (as a former top 50 league of legends north american player from the EAST COAST WITH !0 BEILLION PING) can give u poor underlings, is to just pick cancer characters like rengar shaco thats what i did

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
My solution to super baddies has been to place in high silver every season and climb from there

Idk man I just enter each lobby and say fill. So much easier, I normally end up with not adc so I can play a comfort pick who will always be decent, then I make plays if I recognize the opponent lane is horrible, or just stay safe and help other lanes. More often than not I get support, which is great. I'd rather be a great support with a bad adc than be a good adc with a bad support. Bad leos will engage when you have a fresh wave on your turret, die or bait you to give their Cait the double, then blame you/the jungler for farming instead of fighting. A bad adc will still just CS under turret while you baby sit and help them prep casters. Then you get the added benefit of making the plays, setting up the ganks, etc. You get to make huge impacts to the game by building utility and slapping vision around. Support/jungle most important rolls
Playing around with Zzgot portals and banner of command on Malphite / Nautilus gave me so much macro control of the game that I never had before and felt amazing to not just have waveclear, but the ability to waveclear and get gold while primary engaging in a 5 v 5 teamfight or to cs top lane when your top lane riven decides to just roam 24/7.

In a more traditional sense I feel that mid lane and jungle are core positions to influence the game. Especially since I started with Malz a couple days ago. The champ has so much utility it's insane and his base ms and ranged aoe spells give him enough room to deal high dps and set up picks for the team. Not to mention the mana sustain he gets from E it's like Riot created an AP roamer.

Last edited:

jaswa

Smash Journeyman
Granted, sometimes it can be a subconscious misunderstanding of their opponent's argument (eg I think Jaswa wanted to believe that only damage was meant because it would make the discussion so much easier so even after it was clarified he dismissed it) but it still comes from a mentality of caring about you being right instead of what's right.
I don't like the fact that my motives are being assumed upon, especially since I wasn't trying to be obscure, and was actually attempting to clarify at multiple points.

Again, he made the statement warlord > DES without clarification, and what I was continually doing was seeking clarification. Look, people seem to be scared to concede certain points because they think it would undermine their whole argument (if there was one there...). He nowhere conceded that it did more damage at all stages in the game, and so we couldn't move on to the discussion of weighing up the pros vs. cons. Instead the point was just asserted without explicit detailing of what he meant, or countering things I said. I can't be expected to read his mind...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I don't like the fact that my motives are being assumed upon, especially since I wasn't trying to be obscure, and was actually attempting to clarify at multiple points.

Again, he made the statement warlord > DES without clarification, and what I was continually doing was seeking clarification. Look, people seem to be scared to concede certain points because they think it would undermine their whole argument (if there was one there...). He nowhere conceded that it did more damage at all stages in the game, and so we couldn't move on to the discussion of weighing up the pros vs. cons. Instead the point was just asserted without explicit detailing of what he meant, or countering things I said. I can't be expected to read his mind...
Your purpose was to debate as such you assumed the worst and ignored his clarification, hence he beat on the "DH mentality" because you exemplified it.

As for being a mindreader, we all play the same game, we all know what these abilities do. It's not being a mindreader to recognize context.

I'm not saying you chose to do it on purpose, but you were clearly approaching as a debate which led you to ignore context and not recognize clarification, with the result of creating a wall of text tat didn't even remotely touch his point. It's that sort of attitude that causes people to get pissed off at the "debators".

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
>try to get D4 promos
>cait ad I have to support
>as per the nature of the wild cait players, must push all day and harass but somehow have lower cs still
>level 5 decide to go ward, cait full health vs 10% health vayne 1v1 both level 5 as well
>she dies while I'm warding
"**** support"

How does this happen... she didn't even get stunned.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
>try to get D4 promos
>cait ad I have to support
>as per the nature of the wild cait players, must push all day and harass but somehow have lower cs still
>level 5 decide to go ward, cait full health vs 10% health vayne 1v1 both level 5 as well
>she dies while I'm warding
"**** support"

How does this happen... she didn't even get stunned.
its because you weren't there, obviously

but if you stayed and fought and it was a gank and you both died, it would have been your fault too

Top Bottom