• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Tmacc

Smash Lord
As Irelia, I find that I generally have the most trouble with Rivens. She beats Riven pretty soundly in every area.

:phone:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ok so, Mpen vs AP.

For brand I've been using All MP and then manaregen yellows, and it's worked amazing well. Since I play a ton of AP's though I was wondering what the benefits of ap vs mp are. I feel like Mpen is useful all game while the Ap kind of falls off mid-late game. Especially for brand considering how good his early game is. Overall though, should I go for more ap or mp?
Anyone????

Vyke

Smash Champion
I agree with all of these, but especially the bolded one. I don't care if you're a godmode 2400-material player, if you're a little ***** who won't go hard I don't wanna play with you, :laugh:.
What about Azen? He's like the most careful person I've ever seen.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Ok so, Mpen vs AP.

For brand I've been using All MP and then manaregen yellows, and it's worked amazing well. Since I play a ton of AP's though I was wondering what the benefits of ap vs mp are. I feel like Mpen is useful all game while the Ap kind of falls off mid-late game. Especially for brand considering how good his early game is. Overall though, should I go for more ap or mp?
Most champions have base 30 MR. The extra little bit of damage from going straight AP probably isn't worth it.

I don't get why Veigars don't build bulky considering the way he scales.
I don't see the benefit, really. You could either go in, use your combo, and then runaway since all your skills are on cooldown, or you could use your combo and then stick around for some more Qs with extra tankiness.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Mogwai, as a Riven player I would highly recommend against choosing Riven against Irelia. You can't really trade with her b/c she has innate sustain and stupid true damage.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
What about Azen? He's like the most careful person I've ever seen.
There's a reason I go out of my way to duo with Dphat and not Azen :p. Dphat goes in deep.

Mogwai, as a Riven player I would highly recommend against choosing Riven against Irelia. You can't really trade with her b/c she has innate sustain and stupid true damage.
really? low level trades are so lopsided in riven's favor and then riven scales like a mother****er. I find the matchup impossible unless I get early jungle help. Same with vs. Pantheon. But both are fine if your jungler camps top hard enough that Irelia gets to Wriggle's without being too far behind.

Dekar173

Justice Man
really? low level trades are so lopsided in riven's favor and then riven scales like a mother****er. I find the matchup impossible unless I get early jungle help. Same with vs. Pantheon. But both are fine if your jungler camps top hard enough that Irelia gets to Wriggle's without being too far behind.
Just wanted to say this.

Seriously, as Riven you basically have to try to lose your lane.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Not true. She has counters, it's just that Irelia doesn't seem to be one of them in my experience.
Name one and I'll tell you how to beat them with her lol. Her kit is absurd for generic top lanes, and the new lifesteal quints definitely help her "lack of sustain"

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Name one and I'll tell you how to beat them with her lol. Her kit is absurd for generic top lanes, and the new lifesteal quints definitely help her "lack of sustain"
Pantheon. Can't remember losing Pantheon vs. Riven ever short of serious jungle camping.

I'd argue that Yorick, Rumble, Teemo, Ryze, Swain and Kennen all beat her too, but I haven't played these matchups enough to say for sure with certainty, they just have kits that should beat Riven quite soundly.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Ah ya I forgot about Panth. You have to max shield in order to not get harassed out the *** early game, but around ult time you start winning trades if you've kept up.

Yorick really isn't that difficult, most people just have difficulty laning against him :p

Rumble build lots of MR, and jump on him as often as possible and you should be golden.

Teemo I wouldn't doubt he beats riven, due to how fast he moves.

Swain, his slows don't effect her movement and he's ridiculously squishy until 6/catalyst so Riven just poops on him early :p

Kennen, they just have to be good and they'll **** you regardless of who you're laning, except a select few.

Ryze flat mana they'll beat you hard in lane, mana/level and meh not really.

Riven's just OP.

@Dan- how the hell do you lose to cho damnit

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I tried Yorick vs Riven last night and I lost pretty bad, she pushed her waves easily since our jungler had no presence top and I couldn't do much to push back since I just go oom. Granted it was only one game though, maybe I just missed something

Lovage

Smash Hero
it depends

things that put u on my ghey list:

-ghey emo rager

-annoying

-delusional --> some people literally warp the situations in their head where I tell them where they went wrong and they claim they did it correctly. wtf??

-unwillingness to go hard

-really freaking bad (dont care about this so much esp if u are willing to learn)
co-signed 100%

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
ask dangr what my cho did to his riven
Yeah, uh... not sure my Riven counts as actual Riven lol.

Edit: also, there's a difference between going in hard at smart times and at bad times. no names. <_<

edit2:

One more thing.

If you look like you actually wanna get better, I'll play with you regardless. :o But wanting to get better kinda implies you'll do all that stuff s2j said.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Riven loses to anybody who can poke her without getting poked back, or making her eat a ton of creep damage for an equivalent poke.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Hardest counter to Riven is Tiger Udyr, hands down.

Also Irelia that starts with armor + 5 can easily trade with a Riven. What answer does Riven have to true damage? She's going to lose that exchange and then can't sustain it back (comparatively).

I mean, I've beaten most Irelias I've played as Riven, but I played against someone who was legitimately good with her and I couldn't go in for trades until Wriggles (though I can also avoid trades and just farm. Whether you want to consider that winning or not is up to your discretion. Both champs are good late game).

fkacyan

Smash Hero

Also Irelia that starts with armor + 5 can easily trade with a Riven. What answer does Riven have to true damage? She's going to lose that exchange and then can't sustain it back (comparatively).

I mean, I've beaten most Irelias I've played as Riven, but I played against someone who was legitimately good with her and I couldn't go in for trades until Wriggles (though I can also avoid trades and just farm. Whether you want to consider that winning or not is up to your discretion. Both champs are good late game).
Irelia loses early wayyyyyy too hard to win that MU. Riven can force a recall / zone her really well early and prevent her from getting to wriggles fast enough to sustain.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Unless the Irelia straight up commits to a fight, she is not going to lose :\ She has a longer duration hard CC, her auto attacks hit just as hard as Riven's passive empowered ones (except the bonus damage isn't mitigated by anything) and she can blink to you.

If you don't beat the Irelia at level 1 she will win/break even.

No one has to believe me here of course, but you'll see when/if you run into a good Irelia.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Unless the Irelia straight up commits to a fight, she is not going to lose :\ She has a longer duration hard CC, her auto attacks hit just as hard as Riven's passive empowered ones (except the bonus damage isn't mitigated by anything) and she can blink to you.

If you don't beat the Irelia at level 1 she will win/break even.

No one has to believe me here of course, but you'll see when/if you run into a good Irelia.
The difference here is that Irelia has mana, which is huge in terms of being able to sustain her damage.

EDIT: Streaming some 1400 level ranked shenanigans.

http://www.justin.tv/thiocyanide

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ah ya I forgot about Panth. You have to max shield in order to not get harassed out the *** early game, but around ult time you start winning trades if you've kept up.

Yorick really isn't that difficult, most people just have difficulty laning against him :p

Rumble build lots of MR, and jump on him as often as possible and you should be golden.

Teemo I wouldn't doubt he beats riven, due to how fast he moves.

Swain, his slows don't effect her movement and he's ridiculously squishy until 6/catalyst so Riven just poops on him early :p

Kennen, they just have to be good and they'll **** you regardless of who you're laning, except a select few.

Ryze flat mana they'll beat you hard in lane, mana/level and meh not really.

Riven's just OP.

Agree with most of this. Swain vs her is especially tricky and hard for him because she has a lot of ways to avoid the snare, and he loses HARD if he can't keep her off him. Unless you are MUCH faster than her (she starts cloth you start boots and you have some movement boost) you can't harass her with E/auto attacks before she can leap in. Leading with Snare is 90% useless due to dash or hopping everywhere (stupid mobility on the character for free, you would think they would learn. Same with Shyvanna). Snaring her once she gets on you is also a bit risky besides catching her after last hop, but then you're trading about same damage while she has no mana costs and you're getting ***** for burning at least Snare and E. You can't spam E alone and expect to win, especially since E is damage over time and she can shield it easier than insta nuke 9000. You also have to worry about Mana costs vs her unless you get Blue. THAT'S the only time I feel 100% confident in that MU pre and post 6 laning. Oh and like level 1/2 **** where she can't deal with his range very well but that's an incredibly small window to abuse. If you're gonna do Swain vs her, you would have to practice the MU, spec specifically vs her, and even then I doubt he could really manage anything better than even and that's being generous. There are a lot of characters I would choose vs Riven over Swain hands down. You better be really good at that MU or good with Swain before I would be trying that lol.

Kennen is gay top Riven is gonna lose to him regardless. He unlike Swain has the ability to zone her and deal with her once she commits to going in. Rumble feels bad but he absolutely cannot fall behind under any circumstances. He can't afford a 10-15 CS gap or a EXP gap or else she will WALK all over him. He also loses the damage trade very early on vs her if she goes in and gets out quickly. Sustained after awhile yeah he can do a lot but if she only eats 1 fire at level 3, gets 70% of her combo off on you and gets to shield/get away, you don't win that at all.

I hate Riven top because she's mobile enough to deal with a lot of bull****. If you catch Irelia off guard early on, chances are she's gonna eat the ****ing ****. If you catch Riven off Guard, you better hope her CD's are down because she's just gonna bunny hop away like a little ******. Seriously I get tired of that ****ing **** she doesn't need this much **** going on. Hop Hop Hop AND Dash and shield. Don't forget the almighty Flash, I don't even bother chasing her half the time it feels so ****in pointless unless you're Sion grade stun bot and she doesn't have merc treads yet.

IDK. ****** character vs ****** character, 1 of them is bound to do something gayer post Wriggles. My money is on Irelia, but then again I hate her even more than Riven so that's just bias talking.

(If you can't tell by now, I ****ing hate Riven and Irelia as champs and I'd rather Master Yi be a better solo top than them hands down. Bruiser/Wriggle/sustain top is incredibly boring imo, I'd rather lose to Pantheon or Morde early than "Oh I fall behind a tiny bit I now lose the lane and the game because Irelia Riven etc will snowball uncontrollably and even if they lose the lane it's not risky to throw them top 90% of the time"

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
If you look like you actually wanna get better, I'll play with you regardless. :o But wanting to get better kinda implies you'll do all that stuff s2j said.
tight. but yea i dont/wont do any of that stuff. pretty much the same applied to me when i was training people in Melee/Brawl in my region. accept that you suck. no buts. no qq'ing. etc.

ironically, this is a picture of the board next to my office which happens to be well relevant:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's ok dan, you can say my name. my feelings can't be hurt by you any worse than they've been every time you refuse to play Pantheon + Leona with me.
Dan turns it down because he no play Leona

WEEOOOWEEOOO

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't like panth/leona lane cuz if you go in hard, you have like 0 disengage if their jungle comes and ruins your party. Also, you have to position yourself in lane so far up to threaten aggression. Also, since you gotta run defensive spec masteries/runes on leona, so you can't afford too many wards. You just die if Lee Sin shows up. It's so risky when ranged harass lanes are way safer/effective/consistent at pressuring your opponent safely, and scale significantly better out of laning phase.

edit: omni what's your ign?

Top Bottom