• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Grabs are way too strong

foussi

Smash Cadet
NNID
foussi
I dont want to complain or anything but some of the grabs IG do pretty high damage. An example machops grab pulls like 300 kp of my braixen.
It would be fair if all grabs would do the same damage.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I dont want to complain or anything but some of the grabs IG do pretty high damage. An example machops grab pulls like 300 kp of my braixen.
It would be fair if all grabs would do the same damage.
Except machamp is waaaay stronger than braxien and it wouldn't make sense to give them the same damage. Also, just hit a button when you think they will grab.

foussi

Smash Cadet
NNID
foussi
Thanks i am pretty new to the tekken universe and its difficult for me the grab counter block system.

The only thing that really destroys the fun in online matches for me are the spammers. Worst pikachu and garchomp grrrr
I even thought about quitting playing online.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Thanks i am pretty new to the tekken universe and its difficult for me the grab counter block system.

The only thing that really destroys the fun in online matches for me are the spammers. Worst pikachu and garchomp grrrr
I even thought about quitting playing online.
Adapt, if they are spamming the same option over and over predict it and punish accordingly.

They keep grabbing? Use basic attacks to beat those.

They keep spamming attacks? Use your counter

They keep spamming counter? Use your grabs

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Were you trying to counterattack in that situation, or did Machamp have a stat boost? Landing a grab during either of these can result in a critical hit, which causes way more damage than usual.

foussi

Smash Cadet
NNID
foussi
Were you trying to counterattack in that situation, or did Machamp have a stat boost? Landing a grab during either of these can result in a critical hit, which causes way more damage than usual.
He had a stat boost.

shboke

Smash Journeyman
And,never give up online play, just don't play randoms
Most people you play with(from here for example) won't spam and just want fun

Deaga

Smash Cadet
I honestly have the exact opposite issue: I think grabs are way too underpowered and are the worst part of the attack triangle. They have very limited range and come out pretty slow. Heck, you can even release your counter soon (rather than charging up) to beat grabs!

If you're having trouble against grabs, maybe you're blocking a lot? I know that I sometimes just sit there holding up shield, which I guess is a holdover habit from Smash (where shield is super safe)... Shield less, attack more. If you're using a character with good range, try to stay out of grabs' range too.

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
Agreed! Plus you get a huge boost to your synergy gauge. I don't know about other characters but Gengars "Sucker Punch" true combos into grab thus making it unavoidable. That alone is upwards of 250 damage.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Its to make up for all that block damage we machamp mains have to endure as we make our way towards you.

You have no right to complain about grabs when you're playing a spammy character like braixen.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Command Grabs usually have exceptional range (Pika Libre's Elecroweb and Garchomp's Sand Tomb can grab people even if they jump), but can be punished hella hard. Usually you need a good read to land them (best if you can predict they'll shield on wake up in my opinion)

Top Bottom