• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabbing with a bomb (Don't get too exited yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Alright, so today I was playing some matches with my friend and I somehow managed to grab while holding a bomb. The match went too long so I could not record it.

I will continue looking for ways to do this, but for now, post your suggestions

Below is a list of failed ideas. Please tell us what you did that failed and it will be added here. Also, if any form of progress is made, it will be added here.

-Canceling the zair into a grab
-Dash canceling into a grab (picking up the bomb with the dash)
-Dash canceling into an Usmash then grab
-Pulling out a bomb instantly holding grab and trying to grab with A and the C-stick
-Pulling out a bomb instantly holding A and trying to grab
-Trying to sheild grab with A and C-stick
(Fox Is Openly Deceptive)

-Grab next to a bomb on the floor
-Running grab next to a bomb on the floor
-Sidestep then grab with bomb in hand (like airdodge zair)
-Grab immeadiatly after an auto cancelled zair
-Throwing a bomb up and catching it with grab
(Toondiddy)

-Being Santi (Closest we've come so far...)
(Santi)

Alzi

Smash Master
What. Did you just say you grabbed with a bomb X_X OMG GUYS HE FOUND OUT HOW TO GRAB WITH A BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You must try and grab with a bomb again and record and show us. Did you know what you did or did it randomly happen?

NearZzz

Smash Lord
I've had things like this happen before. Grabbing, smashing, and arieals (Without catching the bomb) with a bomb. It usually only seems to happen if your holding a bomb, and preform a command RIGHT after your hit by an attack.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
*link shoots to top tier*

*I stop playing him*
What a lame reason to stop playing him.

Anyways, awesome. If this can be recreated and the technique can be mastered (without it being too situational), this will help you get the kills earlier.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I've had things like this happen before. Grabbing, smashing, and arieals (Without catching the bomb) with a bomb. It usually only seems to happen if your holding a bomb, and preform a command RIGHT after your hit by an attack.
You can reatingly use aerials in the air while holding a bomb by catching it, then leaving no room between aerials (just spam aerials the entire time)

Not sure about grabbing and smashes though, can't think of anything

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
You need to figure out how you did it! I've been trying for so long now to grab with a bomb. If this is for real then the possiblities are endless!
Ok I'll help you firgure out what happened. First of all, tell me exactly what happened. lol too easy. But seriously what did Toonlink do, what were you trying to do and what happened to you right before you grabbed. I need to know everything you can remember (buttons pushed, If you got hit just before you grabbed and if so were you in the air when it happened or on the ground etc..), then I'll help try to figure out how you did it.

In short, more info please!!

Alzi

Smash Master

You know how people drop a bomb on the ground?
You know how people can dash and do an up smash then while sliding still do a grab??

Could someone Drop the bomb then dash and slide up smash then follow up with a grab. Someone please test this i can't go on my wii atm.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Nope.

Sliding grab after Usmash?

Who does that? and how can you do that? <_<

Alzi

Smash Master
Nope.

Sliding grab after Usmash?

Who does that? and how can you do that? <_<
No drop the bomb on the ground slide and up smash then do a grab. I'll show you a video:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FUGQMD1F1pE

At 1:25 after he drops the bomb then does an up smash could you grab after that or will toon link throw the bomb. I would be testing this before saying it but i can't get on my atm.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You can't grab with a bomb in your hand. >_<
Thats like, it.

Even if that DOES work, come on.
Usmashing then a grab. ********.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
You can't grab with a bomb in your hand. >_<
Thats like, it.

Even if that DOES work, come on.
Usmashing then a grab. ********.
You still don't understand the possibilities, and what Alzi is trying to point out.

If you have a bomb while your opponent is grabbed, and your bomb goes off, you don't get stunned, but your opponent does, allowing you to use any smash attack you want. If this trick becomes practical, it'll help greatly with mind games and confusing your opponent. They'll be thinking you'd go for the finishing hit while you can pull out a bomb. They'll either dodge too early or shield thinking it'll be a bomb throw instead of a grab.

As for Alzi, I don't think it'll work, simply because the bomb would get in the way of the grab...I think. Dunno. I'll have to try it myself the next time I play.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I didn't say it doesn't have possibilities.
I didn't say it can't be beneficial.

I said we have no way of doing it right now. At least, no practical way.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If you have a bomb while your opponent is grabbed, and your bomb goes off, you don't get stunned, but your opponent does, allowing you to use any smash attack you want.
This is why I want to be able to do this.
I posted this on Analysing projectile properties a while ago, (just for the record you still recieve damage but no hitstun = free hit, it's all in the other thead). You can get this free hit by having the bomb explode and interupt your grab in any other way but every other way is too situational.
Not only this but it also means that Tlinks grab game is all of a sudden worth looking into. It could lead to another grab by throwing the bomb at them right after you throw them or anything. The point is if someone (anyone) finds a way to do this it will be the biggest thing since the Ibomb.
(still waiting on Demonictoonlink's reply, until then keep trying everyone.)

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I like how people seem to fail at controller port priority.
Oh yeah, I'd forgoten about that. Could you remind me, does this mean that if we want the free hit option then we have to be a higher port (P4)? If so then the reason why I must have missed this is because I tested it on a CPU. Even though I was P1 it still worked. Have they made it so the CPU always comes out second best in these situations? Or have I got this the wrong way around?
Please explain Havokk.

SuSa

Step 1:

Go to Snake Boards

Step 2:
"Everything you ever needed to know" , it's a sticky. Find and open it.

Step 3:
Go to the guides section (first one) and find the Controller Port Priority thread.

Step 4:

Open the (CPP) Thread

Step 5:

Read

Step 6:

???

Step 7:

PROFIT!

__________ About CPU's

CPU's still fill a controller port spot. Eg; you can have a CPU in P1's spot, P2's spot, P3's spot, or P4's spot. That determines its priority. For Training Mode, I have reason to believe the CPU is treated as either P2 or P3.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok Havokk, I've been there and done that. I've got a quote here to prove it and to help explain to anyone who doesn't understand.
1)Faux Super Armor occurs when a player is grabbing another player and status effect of any kind (this includes explosives) hits both of them. If the player who is in a grab (grabbing or being grabbed has no difference) has a higher player slot (P4) then he will take the damage regularly but not be affected by knock back. Diddy is in the list because he can be hit once during his up-b by sonic then dash grabbed and the barrel won't hit him; pretty useless IMHO.
Ok this still doesn't explain why it worked when I was P1 against a CPU. It says here that 'If the player who is in a grab (grabbing or being grabbed has no difference) has a higher player slot (P4) then he will take the damage regularly but not be affected by knock back.' I was a lower player slot (P1) and did not get any knock back/hitstun.

I'm confused?!? Why did it work?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
You're not the actual Near are you. Anyway do you think this worked because he held A just during down-B and then grabbed? It's really weird

SuSa

I wouldn't have believed so anyway. Havokk, are you in favour of all characters? I sense your presence in almost all forum boards here. I haven't though in the Ganon board oo
I'm off/on in every board, I've been in the Ganon boards a bit, but they have things covered.

I used to main Random, but I'm going ALL Snake/Falcon mains, and Bowser/MK Secondaries from now on. I've finally made up my mind after all these months.

But I will brag and say I can use every character (except Yoshi) on a competitive level.

My Yoshi used to be able to....but recently? Hell no.... its horrid now.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Arc and LDPK on the job..... we'll tell you if anything comes up.

What stage were you on... it might make a difference...

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

Bomber7

Smash Hero
What happens if you sheild while holding a bomb and press A? Do you just throw the bomb or something? What if you pull out a bomb, and hold down A then press Z? Or what if you did the same thing but instead of Z pressed L/R and A? ok, third opotion is a wild guess. Ignore it if necessarry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom