• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabbing in Melee.

DongleDude

Smash Rookie
Whenever I play Melee when I go for a grab sometimes it’d light shield instead of grab. I don’t really know why this happens and how to find the rhythm of doing one or the other on purpose. I just want to know “How can I do a grab with no chance of doing a Light Shield”

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
You are grabbing too early. Remember that when z is pressed, you do a lightshield. That means that you press Z too early for the grab to come out.
To practice the proper timings, give yourself a lot of time until the Z-Press and gradually speed up the timing in practice.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Basically, the z-button works like this; the initial press tell the game to 'grab', and every frame of input after that tell the game to 'light shield'. If you press the z-button while still in the endlag of another action, the inital z input is not performed, and thus you light shield because you are still holding the button by the time you are back to actionable frames.

Top Bottom