• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Spamming

JonJon

Smash Cadet
NNID
jonjon_phelps
It really annoys me when all people do is grab spam. Grab then throw, grab and throw and so on. Especially with characters who's grab seem to have amazing range on their grabs. Has anyone else had this happen? And what is the best way to deal with it? Thanks

BBC7

Smash Ace
It's like people will always tell you, spam can be countered. If you don't find out what to do against it, then you can't proceed to be a better player because you lose to an other ineffective strategy. If grabbing really becomes a problem, try to sidestep more often or space yourself more effectively.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Nobody spams grab on me, It happens about twice a match. And grabbing so easy to get around since it can only happen while on the ground.

I use it alot however.

Vade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vade
3DS FC
4296-3320-8652
I don't know if this really qualifies as good advice, but when you fight someone you know is constantly grabbing occasionally(especially near ledges I noticed) they have to dodge behind you or go straight towards you for the grab, a well timed regular attack, side tilt, or even down smash could prove effective. This is what I normally do, or I play an aerial based characters like Captain Falcon and focus on my bair to whittle their shields down.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
I'll take the grab over getting hit by a strong dash attack or smash. Most of the cast cannot follow up with grabs at high percents so it isn't the end of the world.

To deal with it you can try spot dodges or fade-away tilt / f-smashes (I don't know the term, someone can correct me). You can roll too, but you have to roll way in advanced to be able to punish the whiffed grab.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Grabs are great to keep pressure at low %'s. You get to take time to think of what to do next and you're in complete control of the situation. People practice their grab follow ups and sometimes it's to go into another grab. Be glad you're not playing Brawl with those chain grabs... RIP IC's

@ R Roko Jono - First thing I thought of when you said "Fade-away tilt" --> http://giant.gfycat.com/HorribleAssuredAnt.gif

PS: I'd call it a retreating tilt/smash, but I doubt that's the correct term either.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
@ Locke 06 Locke 06 now that you mention it I suddenly remembered the thread that talked about it, I think they called it pivot-tilt/smash since it's similar to pivot f-smashing in the previous games.

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
Grabbing is pretty weak if they know you're going to do it long before. Just disrupt them with some jabs or aerial attacks.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Ehhh grab spam doesn't really bother me. It's actually usually a nice chance to get some aerials in. I mean, if he's focusing on grabbing so much, it's very noticeable and predictable during the match. Predict when they'll go for the grab and counter grab instead.

Edit - Just realised how ironic it is that your avatar is DeDeDe and we're discussing grab spammers :)

Last edited:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Grabbing is pretty weak if they know you're going to do it long before. Just disrupt them with some jabs or aerial attacks.
Oh right, excellent point I forgot about. Grab's have low priority so in the case of your opponent getting a grab and you hitting them with anything, they will take the damage and the grab will break.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
@ Locke 06 Locke 06 now that you mention it I suddenly remembered the thread that talked about it, I think they called it pivot-tilt/smash since it's similar to pivot f-smashing in the previous games.
Then we'll save fade-away for retreating aerials. That way they can be fade-away jumpers. B)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can't really spam grab CPUs without any kind of resistance from them. Ironically, they have absolutely no problem trying to grab you at just about any stage.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It really annoys me when all people do is grab spam. Grab then throw, grab and throw and so on. Especially with characters who's grab seem to have amazing range on their grabs. Has anyone else had this happen? And what is the best way to deal with it? Thanks
I've actually never heard of grab spamming before, it seems that you're either too predictable in your approach so they know to just shield grab or you're being too defensive while also being too close to your opponent in which they'll just garb you. Try to find moves that cross your opponent up making it safe from grabs, also try to keep your cool when being grabbed because a lot of people seem try and be more aggressive when they get grabbed a lot thus making them more reckless its also a problem that I had to over come

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Usually you'll see someone spamming grab if they're desperate and just fishing for damage, especially if they have a tether. Plus I tend to see a lot of Ness users getting grab happy, though considering just how powerful his grabs are it's understandable. Can be a bit of a nightmare if you're using a heavyweight.

It's not too hard to counter act overly grabby players. If you've got some decent close range options you can get by easy, like with Dedede using Inhale or his crouch attack will usually make a good punish. If you don't have anything of that sort, you're best off just backing off and thinking over the approach.

Plus don't be disheartened if you end up losing a match from the grabs. In the rematch you'll at least have the knowledge of what kind of approach they'll go for and you can adjust accordingly. If all else fails, just pick a character with good ranged normals.

(Also let me know if anything I'm saying is bad advice, I'm far from an expert.)

Last edited:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
It depends a bit on what kind of grabs you're being hit by, I suppose...
  • If it's shield-grabs, scale back on hitting shields with punishable attacks (dash attacks and f-smashes in particular). Grabs of your own as mixups work well, as do shield-punishes that'll potentially break said shields (infinite jab combos can sometimes work, while many like DK or Marth have actual shield-busting moves).
  • If it's dash-grabs, sidestepping or a quick, fair-range hit (jab combo, f-tilt, d-tilt, projectile) can help immensely-- interrupting their attempt is simple enough when you know it's a grab incoming (but avoid laggy attacks like f-smashes in case of feints, of course). When in doubt, a panicked short-hop Nair can get you out of a lot of things.
  • If it's roll-grabs, anything that helps with roll-chasing can come in handy (Dsmashes often work, as do some projectiles and most Nairs). Go for quick, high-range moves (Ganondorf's f-tilt or Megaman's lemons), or a move that gives you some mobility (Dedede or Megaman's d-tilts) to create some space if you can explicitly punish their rolling, though.
As mentioned, aerials are one of the best ways to take advantage of a grab-happy player, but so much of it's character-dependant-- I mean, if you have a better grab, you can always just beat them to the punch. If you want the most ridiculous answers, though, you could just play Jigglypuff and never touch the ground, or even just play Rosalina and let lumas save you. ^^"

Top Bottom