• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab release -> UpSmash

_LINK3N_

Smash Rookie
[I know there's already a thread for grab release follow-ups, but it's really old, and I want to dedicate this one entirely to UpSmash]

So I'm sure we've all seen Dabuz's Grab release to UpSmash. And after a bit of labbing from myself and others I just want to contain what we know about this combo in one thread.

To do a grab release to UpSmash, two conditions need to be met:
-Luma has to be the right distance away from Rosa (by charging and releasing NeutralB any amount, then waiting)
-The opponent has to be air-released

For some opponents simply grabing, and not pummeling them is enough to get an air-release (Chars with a 'Yes' on the list). Others need to mash out, and press jump/up on the stick while mashing, to get air-released (Chars with a 'No' on the list).

The UpSmash seems to connect easier if Luma faces away from Rosa, tho it's not always necessary.

If anyone knows something else, fell free to comment :)

List (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/RosalinaMains/comments/41k18i/dabuzs_grab_release_up_smash_from_genesis/)

• Browser: No

• Bowser Jr.: Yes

• Capt. Falcon: Sometimes?

• Charizard: No

• Cloud: No

• Diddy: No

• Donkey Kong: No

• Duck Hunt: No

• Falco: No

• Fox: No

• Ganon: No

• Greninja: No

• Ike: No

• Jiggs: No Yes (Flick upsmash as soon as grab is released)

• King D3: No

• Kirby: Yes

• Link: Yes

• Little Mac: No

• Lucario: No

• Lucas: Yes

• Luigi: Yes

• Mario (and probably Doc): Yes

• Marth (and probably Lucina): No

• Mega Man: No

• Meta Knight: Yes (strict timing)

• Mewtwo: No

• Miis: No

• Mr. G&W: Yes

• Ness: Yess

• Olimar: Yes (Flick right away)

• Pac-Man: No

• Palutena: No

• Peach: No

• Pikachu: Yes (Timing is strict, flick cstick up as soon as grab is released)

• Pit (And most likely Dark Pit): No

• R.O.B.: No

• Robin: No

• Rosa: No, opponent's Luma would've been able to interrupt it anyway.

• Roy: No

• Ryu: No

• Samus: No

• Sanic: No

• Sheik: Maybe

• Shulk: No

• Toon Link: Yes

• Villager: Yes

• Wario: Yes

• WFT: No

• Yoshi: Yes

• Zelda: No

• ZSS: No

Last edited:

Royug

Smash Cadet
For the characters that are always air-released when grabbed (short characters), look at the list at the start of this thread. There's also Toon Link and Lucas. I've also tested them all myself to make sure, and it works. Link and Sheik are NOT always air-released.

Also, some people including me talked about it some days ago in the Q&A thread (link). But it's still a good thing for this tech to have its own thread.

I can also add this : for a tall character (one that is not on the list provided) to be air-released, the player has to mash, yes. But they have to input at least one jump or up with the analog stick at some point during the mashing for this to work. If they only mash with the A or B button for example, they will always be ground-released. But I don't know if the inputs I mentioned have to be made anytime during the mashing or just before the release for this to work. I tried mashing with only one jump, many jumps, rotating the stick in different manners, combining both, with different timings... Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, it seemed random. But it looks like Dabuz pulled-off the trick pretty consistently during Genesis 3, so I wonder if there's a way to force an air-release.

Also : Luma doesn't need to face away from Rosa for the U-smash to connect, it depends on the distance between the two. But if Luma is not too far from Rosa during the grab and has the time to get in position, then yes, an U-smash facing away from Rosa is better. But a fat character can be hit both ways pretty easily.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
...oh. So someone already made a thread on Rosalina's Grab Release Up Smash. Well shoot... well either way, I guess I could also add some things worth mentioning. Yoshi despite being air released, his extreme aerial mobility allows him to escape the up smash by just jumping out. Most other characters that are grab released are guaranteed to be hit. Yoshi though is a special case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom