• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Release Regrab on More Characters

Luxor

Smash Champion
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291214

Bowser has 11 frames of advantage on a grounded grab release, and the only thing keeping him from regrabbing a few characters is the distance they end up from him. However, Bowser's pivot grab is 9 frames, meaning if you buffer a forward-facing pivot grab, you can regrab more characters with the pivot grab's enhanced range.

Now, what am I talking about? Self-quote from the DDD thread:

Code:
Frame_Time (milliseconds) __ Description

Grab opponent
00:00 input Dthrow
37:38 input back
38:36 input down
39:35 input back
40:33 input forward+grab
47:21 D3's IASA
53:11 regrab
The buffered inputs don't have to be input on those exact frames; anything frames 37-46 will work.
The actual frames are different for Bowser's grab release than for D3's Dthrow (obviously), but the underlying principle remains the same. Buffer a dash back, down input, dash back, forward pivot grab, and the pivot grab will immediately execute facing forward.

Discussion on how to execute it is on the same page as the post I just quoted, and another method here.

I'm not passing judgment on its utility, just sharing the knowledge. Here you go.

Stuff from Flayl that deserves being in the OP:

Using the method in the OP, Bowser can pivot-grab everyone he can klaw out of release except for Captain Falcon, Zelda and Pikachu.

This means he can pivot-grab (out of ground-release):
Bowser
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Ivysaur
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Mario
Marth
Meta Knight
Ness
Olimar
Peach
Popo/Nana
R.O.B.
Samus
Sheik
Snake
Sonic
Toon Link
Wario
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus

I should get a picture of Bowser pivot-grabbing Diddy because it's hilarious.

I don't know if I can test for the "regular" pivot-grab, it doesn't seem to work properly in frame-by-frame mode. The only way I've been able to pivot grab without the buffered down input is to wait 2 frames for Bowser to turn around and then inputting the other direction + Z.
Video of performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvdgwDAczNY

Easiest input for the pivot-grab found so far AFAIK:

Diagonal Down-Back
Down
Diagonal Down-Back
Diagonal Down-Forward + Z

You just need to rotate the control stick along the bottom.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
It's insanely hard. tried doing it now with Bowser. Failed. I honestly think we have even less reaction time to pull this off then D3.

Flayl

Smash Hero
We have 11 frames of advantage. And aww man, you didn't test which characters we could regrab this way.

Not really worth it's own thread without that info. I'll work on it.

It's possible that it's easier to do a regular pivot grab with Bowser, let's see.

Luxor

Smash Champion
I could test which characters it works on after school today, if you list all the ones standing grab doesn't catch. Just figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Using the method in the OP, Bowser can pivot-grab everyone he can klaw out of release except for Captain Falcon, Zelda and Pikachu.

This means he can pivot-grab (out of ground-release):
Bowser
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Ivysaur
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Mario
Marth
Meta Knight
Ness
Olimar
Peach
Popo/Nana
R.O.B.
Samus
Sheik
Snake
Sonic
Toon Link
Wario
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus

I should get a picture of Bowser pivot-grabbing Diddy because it's hilarious.

I don't know if I can test for the "regular" pivot-grab, it doesn't seem to work properly in frame-by-frame mode. The only way I've been able to pivot grab without the buffered down input is to wait 2 frames for Bowser to turn around and then inputting the other direction + Z.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Flayl, is there any way you can get vids of this?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Flayl, is there any way you can get vids of this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOvN3LtlKI

?????

I'd also like to note how a laaaaarge majority of those characters can be GR -> DTilt'd, so the assumption we had before was right.

and about the video, im not sure if luxor is talking about the same thing but...you know...we had that...

Flayl

Smash Hero
Have you seen KingKong's pivot grab video on the BowserReplays channel? It's pretty much that without the retreat I think.

edit: I'll make sure about the retreat tomorrow.

edit2: I should note that this new method has more range than the one used by KingKong. You can't pivot-grab Snake if you use the "old" method.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
So glad I'm coming home this Saturday...

I certainly need to practice that **** lmao.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yep, this'll be me between studying for finals over break.

Trouble King

Smash Apprentice
*assimilates* Now all I need to do is get wavebounce firebreath right without c-sticking. Then I'll be UNSTOPPABLE.

I'm not exaggerating at all. :awesome:

Flayl

Smash Hero
Easiest input for the pivot-grab found so far AFAIK:

Diagonal Down-Back
Down
Diagonal Down-Back
Diagonal Down-Forward + Z

You just need to rotate the control stick along the bottom.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It would be awesome if someone made a video of Bowser performing the buffered pivot grab alongside that person's hands actually inputting the pivot on their controller.

One of the PTs made a video like this for hydroplaning, and it's been a HUGE help in knowing what the timing and hand motions look like.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
congrats bowsers on getting some pretty **** infinites

may your grabs be gay and your klaw gently body your opponent to death :thumbs up:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Doing that new, buffered Pivot Grab out of D3's Dthrow is one thing,
but doing it out of Bowser's Ground Release (while you've got your *** full of concentration to make them Ground Release properly) is gonna be hard D:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Well, in order to get better, you have to have the patience to learn and the capacity to fail and improve upon those failures.

I don't even know how difficult it is to be honest...I'll find out on Saturday/Sunday. -.-

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'm going to be perfectly honest. Being able to do this after Jab 1 is far FAR more important to us than trying to "standing" infinite people.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
^ What he said.

Doing this consistantly is near impossible but to use this as a follow up is much more realistic.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
It would be awesome if someone made a video of Bowser performing the buffered pivot grab alongside that person's hands actually inputting the pivot on their controller.

One of the PTs made a video like this for hydroplaning, and it's been a HUGE help in knowing what the timing and hand motions look like.
This x1000

I might actually unpack my Wii for the first time in months to learn this.

Top Bottom