• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab punishes with Link

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
It works against Fox. And on Marth, but with Down Throw. I do that a lot. Personally I tend to go for the regrab (I really like regrabs), but WD back and waiting might be good if they tend to roll/Jump.

Nice! It seems Fox couldn't escape from the Up-Throw's hitstun, but I'm not entirely sure if this is true or not. I see... I have to use this more.

garotis

Smash Cadet
Fox can shine Link out of up-throw hitstun at very low percents. I just think that alot of Foxes don't know that. If the Fox knows about it and goes for the shine, you can actually get your shield up before the shine connects, and you can counter with a SHFFL'd aerial.

If you want, I can post a gif of it later today once I get off of work.

I like to go for down-throw in case they know about it, just to be safe.

Last edited:

garotis

Smash Cadet
JOJO94 JOJO94 Stormghetti Stormghetti

See below.

Up-throw at 0% on Fox:

Up-throw at 0% on Fox w/ shffl'd Upair leaves you a bit vulnerable, but there's enough time to buffer a role to get out of there.

Another option:

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti

See below.

Up-throw at 0% on Fox:

Up-throw at 0% on Fox w/ shffl'd Upair leaves you a bit vulnerable, but there's enough time to buffer a role to get out of there.

Another option:
Alright! I'll keep this in mind, but I tend to start with Down-Throw instead of Up-Throw because it has more followups and it's a tech-chase starter against fast fallers.

garotis

Smash Cadet
Same here. Down-throw is usually the way to go until around 40% or so.

JOJO94

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vintage_Rider
I know its a super obscure MU, but do any of you have info against Bowser? I don't play Link but I'd like to know what to look for from Link in the MU because it's extremely difficult for me.
I am Good friends with Synnett, a Bowser main in Montréal. I am glad to tell you I have Good knowledge on the matchup.

Link is, for Bowser, according to Synnett, one of Bowser's top 5 or 6 hardest matchups. Apparently harder than Young Link because of the sword's range and just as efficient projectile considering Bowser's insanely slow mouvement options to go around projectiles. Grab rang is also an issue due to his slow landing and Jump squat, combined with his aerial attack landing lag. This makes landing next to Link in his Grab range extremely dangerous. Combined with his huge size, it's even worse.

Bowser is , of course, a very defensive character. Landing an aerial on shield, whatever it is, will always get you punished and lose the trade, his Grab has OK range and comes but faster than yours, not to mention his best option; UP-B out of shield. Which has invincibility frames at the start.

Bowser mains must litteraly outsmart you to win every exchanges. Shielding when he is landing will lead you to getting Koopa Clawed. He might also be fishing for an Up-Tilt, so you have to be careful. UP-B OoS, NAir, DThrow UTilt to UAir are, IMO, your best tools in this matchup.

You must be careful because Bowser is always trying to punish your approaches. And they often have the upperhand in defensive play experience (assuming he is around your skill level or higher). So simply dont get outplayed, because you should win neutral everytime. It's a horrendous matchup for Bowser.

Or just camp him and force him to approach. But be careful of his landing FAir/Klaw, if he is good enough with Bowser, he will tend to juggle from ground to platform to create feints.

Your grab game is extremely powerful in this matchup.

On the SSBMontreal YouTube, I have 2 sets of this matchups. Watch the newest one and ignore the ****ty commentaries.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I am Good friends with Synnett, a Bowser main in Montréal. I am glad to tell you I have Good knowledge on the matchup.

Link is, for Bowser, according to Synnett, one of Bowser's top 5 or 6 hardest matchups. Apparently harder than Young Link because of the sword's range and just as efficient projectile considering Bowser's insanely slow mouvement options to go around projectiles. Grab rang is also an issue due to his slow landing and Jump squat, combined with his aerial attack landing lag. This makes landing next to Link in his Grab range extremely dangerous. Combined with his huge size, it's even worse.

Bowser is , of course, a very defensive character. Landing an aerial on shield, whatever it is, will always get you punished and lose the trade, his Grab has OK range and comes but faster than yours, not to mention his best option; UP-B out of shield. Which has invincibility frames at the start.

Bowser mains must litteraly outsmart you to win every exchanges. Shielding when he is landing will lead you to getting Koopa Clawed. He might also be fishing for an Up-Tilt, so you have to be careful. UP-B OoS, NAir, DThrow UTilt to UAir are, IMO, your best tools in this matchup.

You must be careful because Bowser is always trying to punish your approaches. And they often have the upperhand in defensive play experience (assuming he is around your skill level or higher). So simply dont get outplayed, because you should win neutral everytime. It's a horrendous matchup for Bowser.

Or just camp him and force him to approach. But be careful of his landing FAir/Klaw, if he is good enough with Bowser, he will tend to juggle from ground to platform to create feints.

Your grab game is extremely powerful in this matchup.

On the SSBMontreal YouTube, I have 2 sets of this matchups. Watch the newest one and ignore the ****ty commentaries.
Lol I know @Synnett too, we share Bowser stuff all the time

The MU is hard but I would not say top 5. Maybe top 10.

I meant Bowser versus Link, I don't play Link lmao. This was also pretty old. I've given Synett plenty of advice on Bowser, and vice versa.

Thor

Smash Champion

See below.

Up-throw at 0% on Fox:

Another option:
That nair followup... could it lead to a landing double nair? Would do an extra 10% and allow you to read whether he goes for an offensive option (shine, jab, grab) or defensive (crouch, shield, roll), and potentially get another grab or a dsmash or something.

The SHFFL uair is useful as well... just be wary of Fox attempting to just land and immediately grab you... not likely but it is an option he had.

One hilarious thing when I uthrow'd a Falco at 0 was they would airdodge away... it only happened like 3 times and the third time I missed the input, but if someone does (where the airdodge ends airborne) it should be a free regrab. Obviously airdodge away isn't a good option but people can be scared of late up+b near the ledge or whatever...

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Marth players sometimes DI d-throw behind me and slightly up in the 30-40% range. Do I just turn around u-tilt, since I feel that turn around d-smash would not connect?

Last edited:
Top Bottom