• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab followups

CtrlC

Smash Rookie
What's yall's favorite/most consistent combo out of grab? Personally I tend to default to dthrow, if your opponent doesn't know it's techable (which most people don't) you can get a guaranteed dtilt kill at high percents on non-spacies and jab reset into pretty much anything in other situations (my personal favorite janky kill combo at the moment is grab -> dthrow -> jab -> 9-hammer). Once they start teching it consistently you can tech chase with a DACUS or a bair or just switch to fthrow/bthrow -> nair.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Dthrow is in fact my least used one, it's really good but i prefer to go for an Uthrow, because i can get the most of it. Uthrow-> Up B is amazing. Bthrow is also good for this..

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
Usually I just throw them in whatever direction suits me and then react to their DI. F-Throw and B-Throw are pretty wonky when it comes to the sending angle.

When my input just so happens to be forward throw, they usually are DI'ing up and for some reason doing that on a forward throw sends them straight upwards. The DI might not actually be up, but I've noticed that I'm sometimes throwing people directly upwards off of a forward throw. Regardless, if they go above me I can Up-Air > Up-B > Up-Air > DJ > my choice of N-Air, F-Air, or D-Air depending on position and enemy fall speed. A simple N-Air at high percents works too though. When they go in front of me like they're supposed to, N-Air works on heavies at lower %s and works well for keeping them in hitstun for further attacks. On not-heavies or mid %s F-Air flub can keep them close enough for more stuff. Otherwise a good F-Air KO's pretty reliably. Side-B is also an option if you wanna go for it, I really recommend this if they got thrown offstage. Even more reason to do so if you know the next hammer will be an even number, it gimps pretty hard and offstage there's nothing that they can really protect themselves with.

Back throw on fast fallers sets up for easy chain B-Airs. They might still go directly upwards depending on DI but this is unlikely because they'll typically be DI'ing into you and will end up getting some distance off of the throw.

Down throw is hard to use effectively when the opponent techs but DACUS really seals the deal if they try rolling away. The same opponent rarely falls to this twice though and will learn to do something else, usually stationary teching into shield/grab. I love it when I can read a roll towards me because they usually find themselves in the middle of an F-Smash by the time they can act again. SHUFFL B-Air works better for combos though.

Up throw is difficult to influence and is fairly consistent as a result. It also grants the most combo options and is usually what should be used in nearly every situation.

Last edited:

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
Usually I just throw them in whatever direction suits me and then react to their DI. F-Throw and B-Throw are pretty wonky when it comes to the sending angle.
What he said. I don't care too much for Fthrow because of this, but playing Melee G&W has gotten me to practice a pretty easy bthrow>nair combo, which is pretty easy to hit off at low percents.
And of course everyone knows about how solid dthrow and the faux-chaingrab is. But consider changing up the throws if they start predicting the dthrow and initiate rolls easily.

Sushiroks

Smash Rookie
It's kinda derpy, but bthrow>DACUS can hit fastfallers at mid percents. Fun to catch people off-guard with.

flame&watch

Smash Rookie
One of my favorites is down throw ----> up tilt -----> up b -----> F-air

but of course the most exciting end with a nice 9

Top Bottom