• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gotta Catch 'em All - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::pt:

I think the most painful cut for me was the Pokémon Trainer from Brawl.

I still remember when I checked Smash's website the day they were announced. That was one of the few times I actually was excited and surprised about an addition, and I fell in love with them in gameplay. They also had one of the most unique gimmicks (stamina), which made them really fun to play as. Also that Red was in the background of every stage directing his 'mons to fight - how cool was that?

Since then, I've always tried to get a team of those three in my main series Pokémon games, just because I liked their dynamic together.

Charizard was back, but Squirtle and Ivysaur were nowhere to be found, possibly because they cut the transformation mechanic. It's time for the rest of the team to join back up!

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I really would like to see Squirtle and Ivysaur return...as their own individual characters. No more shifting between them. They'd only have to come up with two new moves, one for each of their down-Bs. Why not do it?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I honestly do not see Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back, unless they cut Greninja.
Then again, I did not think it make sense to bring Roy back. And I still do not.

But I agree with you 100 percent, OP. The release of Pokemon Trainer was truly one of the most magical reveals- it was an obvious choice for a character of which not many people actively preconceived. It was the main character of the games, and was a perfect inclusion. Not to mention, he was the only Pokemon series character to not be ... just a Pokemon. The representation in Smash will always feel incomplete to me with just the monsters in the game. Smash lacks the Essence of Pokemon- the strategy in using Pokemon as a team, the fun of catching monsters, training and evolution.

Without that the characters are just characters. I truly hope they bring back Pokemon Trainer. Even with a completely different moveset. But I have preached this for 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom