• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gothic Bloody Climax Tournament - Official Thread (Update 8/22/2016)

Should we stick to the Smash "Knock out of arena" system or try our "worth"/health based gameplay?

• Stick to Smash's "Knock your opponent out of arena" system

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Try the new "Worth"/Healt based gameplay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Gothic Bloody Climax Tournament
(Project in Temporary hiatus until a team is made & a tablet is aquired {and a few other things as well})
NOTE: EVERYTHING YOU SEE HERE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! ESPECIALLY SENSE THE PROJECT IS STUCK IN PRE-DEVELOPMENT AT THE TIME!

Hiya everyone! I know I have made similar posts to this one and you might think I'm just bull crapping you one this. But this has been a life long dream of mine. I have been making content on the internet sense 2008, and for while I may not be the biggest content creator out there, but I do have a bit of history and characters to show off. From cringey skits I made when I was 12 to unfinished Smash "machinimas" to an upcoming web comic series, I have made a line of rather...strange yet fun characters. Which is why I am officially announcing this project! Gothic Bloody Climax Tournament! A competitive platform fighter bringing some of my oldest and newest characters together and make them fight for the fate of the multiverse!

Backstory
This is a tale believed to be made at the beginning of time, for it was written when 2 beings were born. The Mortals and the Gods. The mortals were clueless and unpredictable, but the Gods (despite being just born) knew what had to be done. They had to protect the beings down below! That didn't last long however; as the humans saw starts fall from the sky. But these were not stars, they were corpses. Corpses of the Gods killed by one of their own; the God of fear itself. When all was lost, a woman in black used 10 Condemned Keys & a Gem of Envy to seal the God of Fear in a place where he did not rule. But the damage has already been done. The God of Fear's destruction and using these holy weapons in such a way shattered this single plain of reality into what's now known as the Multiverse. The keys were believed to be lost, but it's rumored that the Gem floats through out the multiverse, broken but no shattered. Whenever the door to this corrupted God's prison is weak, the Gem collects not the strongest but the worthiest of warriors to fight. The victor then makes a choice; they will either gain immortality and the title of a true god as the door to Fear's prison finally opens and the multiverse becomes his property or the could reject the power and use to keep the door closed until the next tournament. But for the first time, someone found the Gem of Envy...someone with dark intentions of revenge!

What is Gothic Bloody Climax Tournament?
Gothic Bloody Climax Tournament is a new type of Platform Fighter, unlike any other. Most of you are probably already assuming that this going to use the "knock you opponent out of the arena" concept like Smash, Cartoon Network PTE or Rivals of Aether right? (No insult to them) But This game is going to use a different system! A health based system! Much like traditional fighters; if a character loses all of their health then they die. But this STILL isn't the case with GBCT! When characters loses ALL of their health then they explode as if they were hit by an Allstar Move from Playstation Allstars Battle Royale! But if they have enough lives or if it's a time based match then they will regenerate back on the stage.

Knockback system?

This has been bugging me for quite some time. In other Platform fighters not using the Smash system (Outfoxies, Tales of Vs, Playstation Allstars) then the knockback will be set to either certain moves or physics. In my opinion; this is one of the biggest reasons why these games can't rival Smash. Combos become to formulaic. Here Knock back will only be similar to Smash. If a character is at full health then their knockback will be as if a Smash character was at 0%. But if they're very low on health (like 10HP or something) then their knockback will be as if a Smash character was 50%. The knockback will not be chained to much when lowering health, but it will be enough to make it so some that combos will be harder to keep going yet still keep the health system we made!

Can characters be beaten out of the arena?

Yes...sort of. If a character some how falls off the stage then they will NOT lose a stock or life, but they will regenerate on the stage as they only lose a bit of health. BUT if a character is dangerously low on health (Like 10HP-15HP) Then they can die from the arena. But it's still a very rare thing. You can kick your enemy out of the arena but once again we will keep the same health system as best as we can!

Controls or Attacks?
Controls will be similar to Smash & Rivals of Aether. Only 2 buttons for attack, no grabs, not edge grabs, ect. You have standard moves (combos, air attacks, dash, tilts) & Specials! But there is something a little different here!

Replacement to Smash Attacks?!
Sense Climax is a health based game, Smash attacks (primarily used to finished off an opponent) just won't do. So we will replace them with Hybrid Attacks! They are accessed the same way as Smash attacks but are more like mini-special moves used to lower health! To unique to be a standard move, but not enough to be a special move!

Shield/The Rift! What is it?
Shields will act the same as they do in Smash! Except there will be an actual meter to show how much power your shield has left. We call this the "Rift Meter" It's called that because the dodges are called Rifts in this game. Side dodges act more like wavedashes and will be called "Slide Rifts" Down dodges will now be called "Reality Rifts" And the air dodge will be the only Rift that doesn't work with the Rift Meter. It's completely independent! It acts like Melee's air dodge but more focused on movement. Just like Melee it can only be used once in the air but will not send you into a helpless fall. In fact, helpless falls will be a thing of the past in Climax!

One more thing. If you run out of power of our shield, you will not become dizzy, you will just not be able to use the shield for a certain amount of time (Until it fully regenerates) You still have to be careful, but you won't have to worry about getting dizzy.

Glass Breaks? Not another attack!

I'm sure this may or may not be too complicated already but don't worry! Glass Breaks are NOT an attack but an effect. If a character is slammed to the ground by a meteor attack, slammed into a wall or a ceiling then they will suffer additional damage! (depending on how hard or fast the hit the surface and how much health they already have left) Climax will have some stages that have vertical walls so you might see this happen often!

The Climax! Finish Them!
Over the health meter is a red meter. This is a Climax. You can gain power on it by hitting attacks or even receiving damage! Once full; you can release you're most powerful attack or out Final Smash equivalent!

Is this too much? Then turn them off!
If you don't like the ideas of Hybrid Attacks, The Rift, The Climax or Glass Breaks. Then don't worry, we will have an option to turn these off in the match menu! You can even turn off standard attacks, dashes, tilts, combos, air attacks & specials if you want. Just so you can have the match you desire! Give the players more options! (Glass Breaks will be off by default however; for competitive gameplay)

Character Types

Much like in the Pokemon games, Climax will have Types to separate each fighter. Everyone will have 2 types. The first determines the type of character they are competitively (Rush Down, Balanced, Projectile Zoning & Heavy) & the 2nd determines what they use in battle (Fire, Ice, Electric, Grass, Water, Metal, Earth, Light, Shadow, Soul, Blood, Wind, Brawler, Bullet, Space, ect) This is to help you find the character you'll main or even explore similar possibilities!

Stages?
The stages will be base one competitive Stage rules but sense this is a health based game, we may want to add some other types of stages you wouldn't even see in real smash game! Some will be completely closed off for a full health based experience! And best of all....No Hazards!

There will also 4 types of Stages!
-Open Stages: Stages we're you can fall out of the arena from all 4 sides of the Screen
-Bottom Fill Stages: Much like the Wii Fit Studio in Smash Wii U these stages will have the bottom be filled. If a character is about to be knocked out of the arena then it would be in left, right or higher part of the stage.
-Complicated Stages: While you can knock your opponent out of the arena with these stages, it would be very difficult to do so.
-Closed Stages: All sides of the screen are boarded up! ONLY HEALTH BASED DEATHS HERE!

Each stage type will be color coded. And in the hopeful future; we will also add a 2nd color to determine whether or not a stage is competitive legal, counter pick or is banned in tournaments.

Fun Fact/Did You Know Gothic?
We've also been experimenting with some ideas using the Smash Wii U Stage Builder!

Items?
No; we want to make this a new type of competitive title. Plus it would take more time in development to implement them. We'd rather focus on characters, stages, modes, balances & bug fixing!

How else are we going to make this different from Smash or other Platform fighters?

Well, we've noticed that in other indie platform fighters like Rivals of Aether, Brawlhalla & Indie Game Battle they seem to focus on more family friendly designs. But when it comes to the tradition fighting game genre there is something different; "Mortal Kombat" which has much darker designs and more bloody effects. We want this to be the Platform fighting indie equivalent to Mortal Kombat. With much more darker designs and bloody effects. But not %100 of the game will be like this as you may see from future concept art!

How will the game be released?

On Steam with 12 characters, all being based on famous types of fighters in the competitive Smash community (Balanced, Projectile, Heavy, Rush Down) there will Oslo be a character to be the Ryu/Mario like character to be the one to teach you how to play the game while still being a good character. The game will also come out with 14 stages, 12 to go with each character & the other 2 as a bonus! Multiplayer will be the main focus will Time, Stock, Stock/time & a new mode called "Point Battles" to be added in! Online as well!

Point Battles? What's that?
Well, you know in some games when you are making a wicked combo, sometimes the point system will multiply (X2 -> X3 -> x4) Well that's what this is! Every time you land an attack it's 100 points, but if you start a combo you earn more points. If you're able to continue the combo for a certain amount of moves then a X2 will appear. The bigger the combo, the bigger the X. Once the combo is finally over the points will merge with the X and whoever has the most points at the end wins! So if you are able to make a combo of 15 hits and you have a X5 then your points from that specific combo will be 7500 Points!

This is a lot of new stuff? Are you sure it's going to work out?
I'm sure it will! But not right away. The earliest versions will be considered "test" versions, even if they are the full release. This way I can determine how to fix or balance the gameplay even further from player input or suggestions. While it may not be the best platform fighter at first, sense this is a new way to play the platform fighting genre, it will be able to grow and evolve appropriately!

So future updates?
The game will have a FREE UPDATE SYSTEM like Street Fighter V & Splatoon. Not only will future updates include balance changes & bug fixes but they can also have NEW CHARACTERS, STAGES & MODES! I have dozens of characters designed for this project but I want to make the game grow appropriately. And that's why I'm adding this system!

So why is this project in Hiatus?
Well for multiple reasons...
1. I want to be the art director for the project, but I need a better computer, animation software, game development software & a tablet so I can make hand drawn graphics like in the King of Fighters series & Skullgirls
2. I need a development team to assist me in this project. But I can't form one just yet until I complete the first goal!
3. I want to grow as a developer first. I want to make other projects so I have more experience for this kind of game.

UPDATE 8/22/2016
I thought about this sense I made this post, but I still can't make a full decision. So I decided to add a voting poll for it! Do you guess like the idea of Climax's new gameplay style and want to give it a try? Or do you want the game to just be like Smash and use the "Knock your opponent our of the arena" gameplay. Removing everything we've talked about so far! The choice is yours!

Also I am in development of a presentation video, officially announcing the project on my YouTube account. There I will show extra concept art and reveal the first 6 fighters planned to be in the game and a few stages as well. So be sure to be on the look out for that!

So until then?
I will be releasing concept art for the game on this forum & on my DeviantArt page: http://hotel-room-ciii.deviantart.com/
You can follow for more info!

Any thoughts on what I've written down so far? Put them down below! Any constructive critism is accepted!

-Hotel-Room-CIII
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Gothicslenderman
DeviantArt: http://hotel-room-ciii.deviantart.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/GothicSlender
Tumblr: http://gothicslenderman.tumblr.com/
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/GothicStatic

CONCEPT ART (LASTLY UPDATED ON 8/5/2016):

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 08/22/2016 - Voting Poll
Added on to this Post! If this is your first time seeing this then welcome!

Top Bottom