• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Yoshi Maps?

colerino

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to get into Yoshi and I was wondering what good maps were.

I know that Yoshi's Story is his best map, but what maps after that if it's striked? I've also heard that he is good on dreamland vs Sheik

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman

I know that Yoshi's Story is his best map, but what maps after that if it's striked? I've also heard that he is good on dreamland vs Sheik
Now of course each map varies on who exactly your fighting against.

C-Falcon for example would be Battlefield and FOD (to fight him on)
or fighting peach imo best stages are dreamland and final destination.
fox/falco (FOD and Battlefield) there's so many combinations so your gonna have to be a bit more specific

Esther

Smash Rookie
Now of course each map varies on who exactly your fighting against.

C-Falcon for example would be Battlefield and FOD (to fight him on)
or fighting peach imo best stages are dreamland and final destination.
fox/falco (FOD and Battlefield) there's so many combinations so your gonna have to be a bit more specific
Why in the world would you counter pick to Dreamland as Yoshi vs Peach lmao. Same goes for Fox/Falco.... They could easily meteor cancel your meteor attacks and live for ever on that stage... Please explain lmao.

Stax_Machine

Smash Rookie
Peaches up-B sucks for vertical gains, if you get an off stage fair Peach usually dies even if they meteor cancel because the hit lag and knockback are good on that thing (assuming they are not at uber low percents). If you get the dair they usually panic and meteor cancel early (because they can't afford to loose vertical height) and get locked out of meteor cancel and die. Peach also struggles at fighting yoshi when you're on plateforms so the extra hight makes it hard for Peach to cover platform option because she can't atk through them without jumping/turnup. Up-air still kills surprisingly early (a good gimp is if they recover high, egg them while jumping up the platforms, and when they try to dair you as you approach them armor it or trade up-air (Peaches dair wont kill you, its the move that dair combos into that kills you). Also Peach struggles getting down from platforms so you can tac on a lot of percent with eggs (if you're beating Peach at the percent game you're in a good position). I always think dreamland is Peaches stage and I still think it is in her favor for the matchup but not by much, I leave it open on banning and almost always take game one. I also like it for game one so I can figure out how down smashy the peach is; you're less likely to lose your double jump and get gimped randomly since the stage is bigger. Its not a perfect counter pick to Peach but its not as bad as you might think.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Why in the world would you counter pick to Dreamland as Yoshi vs Peach lmao. Same goes for Fox/Falco.... They could easily meteor cancel your meteor attacks and live for ever on that stage... Please explain lmao.

while it's true that peach lives to amazing percentages on dreamland so does yoshi. A yoshi player if D.I'd right can live to almost 200% (I once lived to 250) Yoshi also is a lot heavier then peach is just generally. Remember Peach is a float charecter not a heavyweight like captain falcon or fox/falco. Peach's biggest weakness is the air. While your saying "What about float cancelled fair" while i do agree on that aspect. Yoshi's bair actually beats her priority in the air. Also Eggs is a great pressure projectile when trying to recover as peach.

https://youtu.be/MG1AkR17p98?t=135

This is me ^ I forced the peach player to recover high and i punished with a upair which killed her at 150-160. Yea peach lives long on this stage but it comes down to the patience factor and tacking on as much damage as possible getting in and out.

Also this same video my 2nd stock went up to 180%. Besides dsmash Peach doesn't have that many gimps on yoshi except for a stitch or doteyes if pulled.

I also fought two other peach's the same tournament. and as far as dreamland goes i only lost one time on dreamland that entire weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for Fox and Falco while they win on just about any stage because their so good in melee. Taking them to FOD makes the fight a little bit better especially if the fox and falco your fighting isn't that good at the multishine. Despite popular believe the ceiling on FOD is a lot higher then what people give it credit for.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
I don't like DL vs. Peach unless your plan is to win by timing her out through egg stalling and top platform camping. Peach's recovery is better than Yoshi's and competent Peach players won't let Yoshi back for free once her aerials start penetrating double jump armor. If you have to air dodge to get back to the edge, you should be dead because Peach can just float near the edge and catch you with N-air or D-air > N-air.

No offense to Dinowulf, but I think you're playing incompetent Peach players. Yoshi's B-air doesn't beat any of Peach's aerials - it's too slow and there are too many inactive frames between individual hits. You trade half the time and those trades are no good because B-air's individual hits are so weak. Edgeguarding her is basically impossible because of her fall speed and aerial drift.

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I don't like DL vs. Peach unless your plan is to win by timing her out through egg stalling and top platform camping. Peach's recovery is better than Yoshi's and competent Peach players won't let Yoshi back for free once her aerials start penetrating double jump armor. If you have to air dodge to get back to the edge, you should be dead because Peach can just float near the edge and catch you with N-air or D-air > N-air.

No offense to Dinowulf, but I think you're playing incompetent Peach players. Yoshi's B-air doesn't beat any of Peach's aerials - it's too slow and there are too many inactive frames between individual hits. You trade half the time and those trades are no good because B-air's individual hits are so weak. Edgeguarding her is basically impossible because of her fall speed and aerial drift.
None taken. Honestly this is only my opinion. I feel super comfortable on DL vs peach. So thought I'd share what I thought was okay. Playing against peach by eggs is the way I play against peach though.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
My quicks thoughts on stages is this:

Good:
Battlefield:
-spacies can't wallride recovery here, you can even knock them under the stage with well placed aerial, this slight spacie recovery nerf is a bonus
-not too big to be camped out
-high top platform buffs Yoshi's not that great up air for reaching higher off the top platform
-this is a personal opinion, but I find platform height and spacing to be ideal for Yoshi, on par with Yoshi's Story even, especially the side platforms

Yoshi's Story:
-Randall timing knowledge can be hugely beneficial to Yoshi recovery mix-ups
-mall stage boosts Yoshi's platform movement which obviously is a huge part of his game
-eggs from ledge cover the entire stage
-small blast zones benefit Yoshi since usually Yoshi can't get kills off side or top till fairly high percents

Neutral:
FoD:
-inconsistent platform placements mean you can't really muscle memory your platform movement
-high ceiling makes uair juggle kills harder

Stadium (personal bias on this one, it's my favourite stage):
-Yoshi's heaviness means he doesn't die off top as easily to low ceiling
-eggs can't reach entire stage from ledge
-rock transformation lets you egg from cliff ledge
-windmill transformation and fire are just difficult

Bad:
Dreamland:
-Floaties can time out Yoshi extremely easily here, and characters like Sheik and Falco and Fox can play a runaway camping game as well
-Yoshi tends to kill more off the bottom than off the sides, and against floaties here getting kills can be next to impossible without a hard movement read and if they don't come in then good luck
-wide spaced platforms slightly slows movement and makes it more predictable

FD:
-no platforms
-wide enough to give Yoshi trouble with a run and gun

SpaceCowboy35

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SPAC#649

always ban fd
I always try to FoD or Yoshis
PS is weird for yoshi but is polarizing as it changes matchups quite a bit sometimes

Top Bottom