• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good secondary for Wario?

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Rosa still loses to Cloud and MK. I wouldn't call her the best secondary, especially because of the style overlap. Like you said, you may as well just play her, but it sounds like you don't like her.
Yes, she loses to MK. But I don't think MK is that bad for Wario. Maybe 60:40 at worst if not even. Wario boards say 45-55 in MK's favor, I don't see why you couldn't use Wario in that matchup.

I don't see how you can be convinced that Rosa loses to Cloud at this point. I think it's even. We don't have near enough data yet but Dabuz's results against top Clouds have been pretty decent. He's beat M2K, lost to Tweek last weekend.

Rosa beats lots of Wario's losing matchups like :4diddy::4mario::4rob:

and goes even with other losing matchups like :4pikachu::4sheik:

Honestly I think :4sheik::4diddy: are the only matchups so bad for Wario as to require a secondary though. Still early but it looks like :4cloud:might be joining the list too.

No I don't enjoy her but I'm playing Wario because he's fun, Rosa is the character I'm learning so I can win those trouble matchups. And I might enjoy her more as I get better with her.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Wario's main weaknesses are his short range, and his need to be defensive. I think a good option would either be a sword user (Cloud, Corrin, or Ike, probably), or a rushdown character of your own (Fox or Diddy don't overlap Wario very much).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Do you guys think :4ryu: is a good secondary for Wario?

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Do you guys think :4ryu: is a good secondary for Wario?
No, but mainly because he's insanely hard to pick up and takes a ton of work you're probably better spending on your main.

Last edited:

Vader614

Smash Cadet
NNID
andyvader
Hey guys. Name's Vader and I've been playing Sm4sh competitively since 04/25/15 (almost 10 days from being officially been playing in tournaments for a year) and my signature main is :4gaw: . For about less than a month, I've recently picked up :4wario: to be my secondary and I also have a pocket :4miibrawl: (although on rare occasions depending on tournaments), both of them as well as :4gaw: as my tournament picks.

I've got two questions to ask relating to :4wario: :

1.) What stages benefit Wario the most as well as stages that I should avoid going to when playing as Wario?

2.) Is there any good/bad MUs that I should know for Wario? I ask because I would like to know when it's best to go for Wario whenever G&W has trouble some of the harder MUs for the character (Ex. Sonic, Fox, Corrin, Greninja, etc.)

I appreciate the help.

-Vader

giglfoosm

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. Name's Vader and I've been playing Sm4sh competitively since 04/25/15 (almost 10 days from being officially been playing in tournaments for a year) and my signature main is :4gaw: . For about less than a month, I've recently picked up :4wario: to be my secondary and I also have a pocket :4miibrawl: (although on rare occasions depending on tournaments), both of them as well as :4gaw: as my tournament picks.

1.) What stages benefit Wario the most as well as stages that I should avoid going to when playing as Wario?

2.) Is there any good/bad MUs that I should know for Wario? I ask because I would like to know when it's best to go for Wario whenever G&W has trouble some of the harder MUs for the character (Ex. Sonic, Fox, Corrin, Greninja, etc.)

I appreciate the help.

-Vader

I personally think lylat is the best for wario, short hop bite can grab opponents off of the short platforms and I also believe an extended waft (from hitting the bike) can reach someone on the platform as well but I could be wrong (its been a while since I played). Generally I like stages with platforms to do bike tricks with, like wheeling in the air for a surprise kill or doing the full speed bike from the ledge (don't know what the name of the tech is called) into waft combo. Also stages with big blast zones like battlefield help you to life insanely long due to your weight and recovery.

As for match ups I'm not too sure as in my scene I don't play against the whole cast, but in general I find difficulty against characters with alot of range ie (donkey kong, zss, marth) or really fast rush down like falcon or fox.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796

I appreciate the help.

-Vader
Stages doesn't matter for Wario, because he does well with any stage. If you're asking which stage is the best, it depends on your opponent's character and sometimes the opponent himself/herself.

Wario's hardest MU's are those with both long range and fast frame data (Cloud for a example). Wario has the power to win against any MU, because of the waft. If you're asking which MU's you should avoid with him are probably Cloud and Sheik. It's probably better if you go as G&W against those two.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311

I appreciate the help.

-Vader
In my opinion Wario has no particularly good or bad stages. His "best" if I had to pick one I'd say is duck hunt since you can camp for waft all day there. But generally I'd go with personal preference stage picks or counterpick stages for your opponent.

In my opinion Wario's worst matchups are Cloud and Diddy. Many seem to agree those are really bad. And of course Bayonetta as she's broken currently (who doesn't she beat?). Most seem to agree Wario also loses to Mario, who is a very common character.

Of the notable top tiers, many say Wario does well against Rosalina. Reflex has said he thinks Wario wins, and Tweek was using Wario for the Rosalina matchup before he picked up Cloud. Dabuz listed the matchup as even in his matchup chart.

Of the matchups you listed I wouldn't say Wario does particularly well or particularly poor against any of them. Although on paper it's probably somewhat even, many Sonic players seem to loath the Wario matchup because bite > spindash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom