• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good GC controllers

Cam30

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any good recommendations for controllers other than the official ones?

Sdhy

Smash Rookie
If you really want, you can buy a $10 3rd party controller and see how that goes.
If it doesn't work, you barely wasted any money.

Oh, I think arcade Street Fighter style controllers exist. But I dunno if they're tournament legal.

But yeah, Nintendo GC controllers seems to be the gold standard. But even the Smash4 controllers are known to have problems (though I see people irl using them seemingly no problem...?)

Any specific reason you want a 3rd party one?

Last edited:

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
NEVER get a 3rd party knockoff, my brother did that and the joystick snapped off almost immediately into playing with it. He got another, different brand and the same thing happened.

I know Nintendo brand Gamecube controllers are almost impossible to find but you're better off searching the dark net for it before you waste your time and effort with 3rd party.

Qwerty2084

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
QTY#396
Besides possible alternates like B0XX, First party controllers are pretty much the only way to play.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Just buy one used. They are plenty cheap, and with UCF becoming standard, it's easier than ever to find a suitable controller.

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
Use resources like craigslist, vintage video game stores, pawn shops, etc... you'll need an original controller at some point soon if not just yet.

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
Don't get a third-party controller!

:?:

I had one and after a month of playing with it, the joystick got so loose it didn't count left or right as an input. I opened it up and the insides were made of cheap plastic that was rubbing off.

So yeah...
Just get an official one.

:starman:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
You should be able to look around online for some, spending 25~35 dollars for an in-package/new official one. I spent 30 dollars on my white one and was totally happy with it. Also iirc, the white one has a longer cable than the normal official ones. It doesn't really matter that much, but eh, just something to keep in mind.

Knock offs will cost you 10~20 dollars, so you may as well go with the boots theory and spend double that to have the real deal that'll last for a very long time vs a knock off that might not even function 100%. Gamestop's GC controllers, for example, aren't "as fast" as normal controllers (milliseconds, but still, it might matter for competitive play) and their analog sticks are prone to being stuck in one direction even when at neutral position.

Last edited:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
You should be able to look around online for some, spending 25~35 dollars for an in-package/new official one. I spent 30 dollars on my white one and was totally happy with it. Also iirc, the white one has a longer cable than the normal official ones. It doesn't really matter that much, but eh, just something to keep in mind.

Knock offs will cost you 10~20 dollars, so you may as well go with the boots theory and spend double that to have the real deal that'll last for a very long time vs a knock off that might not even function 100%. Gamestop's GC controllers, for example, aren't "as fast" as normal controllers (milliseconds, but still, it might matter for competitive play) and their analog sticks are prone to being stuck in one direction even when at neutral position.
Are you Fuujin? You post exactly like that guy. Brawl Zelda main?

:144:

DragonRogue

Smash Rookie
I use the oculus rift touch, honestly a superior controller all you gamecube users can suck a cactus

DonOwens

Smash Cadet

Can you please route me to your source for 35 dollar new in package OEM gamecube controller? :050:

ControllerChaos

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys,

I thought we should post this and show you guys what we are working on over here at Controller Chaos. We are about 85% into designing and developing a pro level GC controller to help solve the community controller problem.

We have got great feedback on the prototype units we have put out into the field thus far. We have improved shield drops, snap back, quality shell and button molds (not resin), and some other goodies. Before every controller leaves CC the along sticks will be calibrated to the actual shell your controller is assembled with. Once we finish and perfect these controllers they will act and feel like a quality GameCube controller should and you will be able to find them! :)

Can read a bit more here:

https://www.controllerchaos.com/beta-testing-nintendo-gamecube.html

- Controller Chaos Team

Last edited:

TheMarioMaster128

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3571 7701 7810
Hey Guys,

I thought we should post this and show you guys what we are working on over here at Controller Chaos. We are about 85% into designing and developing a pro level GC controller to help solve the community controller problem.

We have got great feedback on the prototype units we have put out into the field thus far. We have improved shield drops, snap back, quality shell and button molds (not resin), and some other goodies. Before every controller leaves CC the along sticks will be calibrated to the actual shell your controller is assembled with. Once we finish and perfect these controllers they will act and feel like a quality GameCube controller should and you will be able to find them! :)

Can read a bit more here:

https://www.controllerchaos.com/beta-testing-nintendo-gamecube.html

- Controller Chaos Team
I'm Going to apply

Top Bottom