• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good doubles partner?

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Been a while, Roys.

I've taken quite a liking to doubles lately with one of my friends, and I feel most comfortable in this format with my secondary - Roy. I don't particularly like tink in doubles because from what experience I have, it seems you need to have really good synergy with your teammate to play efficiently with him, due to the sheer amount of random **** that gets thrown around. So I guess I'll keep my tink out of it for now at least, and just stick to Roy.

My problem here is that we don't know who can compliment Roy very well. Seeing as, as far as I know, Roy's main weaknesses are his poor neutral and kill confirms, I would assume a good partner for him should be able to go in and start the combos by themselves, then lead into Roy's amazing kill power. Of course, I'm by no means a Roy expert, so don't just take my word for these things; I could easily sound like for glory roy #249 right now and be completely ignorant to it, but that's why I'm asking.

Who do you guys think compliments Roy's weaknesses well in doubles? It seems that doubles is a pretty underdeveloped aspect of the game, so I'd love to see some discussion on this. I might start being more active around here; might not... expect more of me around here...?

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hello. ~

Roy is an excellent doubles character because he's very versatile. He has the mobility to run in and aid your teammate, or work with what hits your teammate is able to land for team follow-ups. Roy dthrow > teammate footstool > Roy fsmash is an interesting setup to try out at some point for 2v1's. If his teammate has good shield pressure as well, he can set up for the opponent to either get hit for good damage, or get their shield broken in this format as well, which sets up interesting trap scenarios as well. Roy is versatile enough that he can work with most characters as a partner, so you and your teammate will have some room to work with on what character to pair with. His throws and sourspots are all good for sending an opponent to your teammate for a followup. Pairing him with a character that can help him get out of combos, that can help him recover back to the stage if someone tries to gimp him, or that can feed him the opponent (with a move that hits the opponent towards Roy with a beneficial angle) so he can KO them work well.

Here is some footage with a Roy/Yoshi team to get a feel for how they played.

Vs Gregs + iStudying

Vs S1 + Longouw

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Hello. ~

Roy is an excellent doubles character because he's very versatile. He has the mobility to run in and aid your teammate, or work with what hits your teammate is able to land for team follow-ups. Roy dthrow > teammate footstool > Roy fsmash is an interesting setup to try out at some point for 2v1's. If his teammate has good shield pressure as well, he can set up for the opponent to either get hit for good damage, or get their shield broken in this format as well, which sets up interesting trap scenarios as well. Roy is versatile enough that he can work with most characters as a partner, so you and your teammate will have some room to work with on what character to pair with. His throws and sourspots are all good for sending an opponent to your teammate for a followup. Pairing him with a character that can help him get out of combos, that can help him recover back to the stage if someone tries to gimp him, or that can feed him the opponent (with a move that hits the opponent towards Roy with a beneficial angle) so he can KO them work well.

Here is some footage with a Roy/Yoshi team to get a feel for how they played.

Vs Gregs + iStudying

Vs S1 + Longouw
Cheers for the info. I messaged my mate this thread so he can see your post, and we'll probably discuss some dubs stuff later, if we can.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I am also trying to get more into doubles, but since most players around my region already have doubles partners, all I have to work with is :4marth: and :4cloud2: and occasionally :4dedede: and :4bowserjr:, Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Elray

Smash Rookie
When I play doubles I usually play Marth cause I don't like getting grabbed in a potential 2v1 situation.
Roy has his moments though in doubles, he can punish easier when opponents are paying attention to your teammate instead of you.

Top Bottom