• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good day for a swell battle! - CUPHEAD rolls the dice!

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Cuphead in Smash would be awesome! He looks really fun, and I smile every time I see him. I would definitely like to support.

D

Deleted member

Would he be a 2D character or a cell-shaded 3D one?
I would love to see Cuphead in Smash, but I feel like he needs to keep the cartoon-aesthetic in a form that fits Smash.

Although maybe Sakurai manages to pull something better than expected with a 3D model.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Hey guys, sorry that i'm not on as much, personal issues, don't worry though! I'll definitely get you on the list soon!

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Got Cuphead on pre-purchase and played it some before I called it a day. Geez, it's difficult. Only defeated the Root Pack and the first Run and Gun stage. I knew whwt I was getting into.

Would he be a 2D character or a cell-shaded 3D one?
I would love to see Cuphead in Smash, but I feel like he needs to keep the cartoon-aesthetic in a form that fits Smash.

Although maybe Sakurai manages to pull something better than expected with a 3D model.

Anyhow, based on what I've seen, I think he should be 3D but he had a texture that mimics his cartoony look.

His trailer, I could see happening, would be similar to the actual game where a book opens. You think it is a trailer for Cuphead DLC, but it isn't. I wonder what the title of the book would be. "Cuphead in The Pink Puff Encounter"?

Last edited:

hposter

Smash Apprentice
With how many special little details Joker got, the whole 'Cuphead Pre-Battle Quotes in the Announcer Voice' thing doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility at this point.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing the Switch port of Cuphead non stop lately and am loving every second of it. Which bosses gave you the most deaths? I surprisingly beat the Grim Matchstick and Dr Kahl's Robot in under 10 attempts, and I was expecting a lot more considering the reputation of those bosses haha.

So my list starting with most deaths:
1. Wally Warbles
2. Beppi the Clown
3. Rumor Honeybottoms
4. Grim Matchstick
5. Hilda Berg

I have yet to fight King Dice, the Devil, the Phantom Express or Sally Stageplay. Currently struggling with Cala Maria haha.

Edit: Also, sign me up as a supporter!

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 184539

This is a late April Fools Joke?
Nope, the title wasn't a joke, i genuinely believe that Cuphead might have a clear shot (hahahaha) of being in the Fighter Pass, and as to why i think this is because of two major reasons.
Those two reasons being that Sakurai has both played and respected the game, and that most of, if not all of the characters will be unexpected surprises, while someone like Banjo or Steve would be would fit the "Surprise" part of this well, they would be pretty expected. But Cuphead would fit the bill for BOTH pretty well. Sure, he's a bit of a pipe dream considering he has ZERO relations with Nintendo, but hey if Miss Splosion Man, A previously Xbox 360 Exclusive game, can appear on The Switch... Then the idea of a Microsoft character in smash doesn't sound far off, and i know that someone like Master Chief or Steve would fit the Microsoft rep bill well. But considering Cuphead's massive popularity in both the east and the west, He's become as popular as them in terms of Microsoft characters.​

Now that i have given you my reasoning, Care to sign the Devil's contract with me, and support Cuphead?

People who've signed the Contract
SquashiniKun SquashiniKun
@Idon
@LetterO
@Tetrin
@RealPokeFan11
@War Anvil

@Toucan_Man
@Flyboy
@Gazorpazorpfield
@KIRBY MAIN
@GothFluttershy
@MagnoliaMidna
TheCJBrine TheCJBrine
hposter hposter
@Wario Wario Wario
Dreamking Dreamking
I'll go ahead and write my signature here. What could possibly go wrong with these types of contracts!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This game deserves me paying full price, but I'm gonna wait for a sale and finish some of my other purchases.

--but if someone wants to send me a message when this game goes on sale, it will be greatly appreciated.
I love the design. I just know it is going to take me a few hundred hours to beat.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This game deserves me paying full price, but I'm gonna wait for a sale and finish some of my other purchases.

--but if someone wants to send me a message when this game goes on sale, it will be greatly appreciated.
I love the design. I just know it is going to take me a few hundred hours to beat.
Well, there's going to be a physical edition once the DLC is out, so why not wait for that instead?

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Just 100%'ed the game for the first time. The feeling of accomplishment when the 'knockout' screen jumped up against the Devil was something else. Absolutely loved the game and already wanting to replay it over again.

Still need to do the pacifist runs though, I want that black and white filter. Wish me luck...

TheSkillMythos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
I know that I am a Banjo and Waluigi supporter, but I think Cuphead could be in the Fighters Pass

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mug just looks... happier. More welcoming. Maybe it's the nose.
His eyes are a lot cuter too. Cuphead has almost that sort of Sonic fused eyes thing going on which makes him look a little less innocent and more of a cynical edge. Maybe just me over analysing the design. It's probably a callback to Felix the Cat's look honestly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
His eyes are a lot cuter too. Cuphead has almost that sort of Sonic fused eyes thing going on which makes him look a little less innocent and more of a cynical edge. Maybe just me over analysing the design. It's probably a callback to Felix the Cat's look honestly.
Also, Cuphead's the reckless one that gets into trouble, Mugman is the more reasonable one.

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
I had fever dream last week about Cuphead being in smash LOL
Basically I saw Cuphead animated like G&W but hand drawn instead (think Skullgirls for example; hand drawn fighting game) which would be unique and a delight to see (as an animator myself). Even though I relentlessly support an undertale/deltarune rep (Sans memes aside) for the indie rep I would still be hyped if I see Cuphead in smash :V

I'd make a moveset list myself but it will take a day to complete asfdghg
But the gist of his gameplay is Cuphead is like Megaman..... cranked up to 11, run and gun gameplay. He would also have moves referencing the violent 80-90s looney toons era cartoons (ie: falling acme anvils, cloud of violence, etc etc)
Neutral B: Weapon Switch
Side B: Smoke Bomb
Down B: Parry Slap
Up B: Airplane
FS: Energy Beam

PS: I cant find a fanmade icon for cuphead, also I want to be a supporter teehee :3c
NOW GO!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, considering Joker has a lot of unique aesthetics, here are a few ideas for Cuphead aesthetics:

If Cuphead knocks out the last opponent, instead of the traditional "GAME!", it will instead say "Knockout!", complete with the ringing bell, just like in the original source. And his victory theme could be his Victory Tune, which lasts longer than normal, but eventually the results screen music will play when it's over.

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
You know, considering Joker has a lot of unique aesthetics, here are a few ideas for Cuphead aesthetics:

If Cuphead knocks out the last opponent, instead of the traditional "GAME!", it will instead say "Knockout!", complete with the ringing bell, just like in the original source. And his victory theme could be his Victory Tune, which lasts longer than normal, but eventually the results screen music will play when it's over.
or maybe after "A Knockout!" the screen just fades to black instead of the usual Smash transition and when the screen fades in we already see Cuphead's victory loop animation pointing at his victory screen like in the original game complete with his looping victory theme (like Joker's) and all those 80's grains and effects LOL,

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m interested in the new show.

Something about the promo image makes me think they’re claiming “1930s style” only because of the pied-eyes, though.

link2702

Smash Champion
I hope the promo image isn’t truly reflective of the actual animation. The whole premise of cupheads existence was as a love letter to old 1930s cartoons. If you remove that, you do a disservice to the game.

It also needs to capture the feeling in the “plots” it can’t have a huge overarching plot line. Every episode needs to be it’s own thing, with a theme that begins, and ends in that episode, and with no real reference to anything in the past.

An example of a modern toon doing this right is the modern Mickey Mouse toons. He is a bit more edgy, silly, and filled with more slapstick, but also every episode is self contained, with only the occasional minimal reference to something in the past (and usually it’s not to this series, but old classic Mickey, or old disney). Also sometimes it doesn’t even happen in America, but the episode and characters take place in completely different countries, and the characters when they speak, (which is sometimes very little, and the visuals push the plot along), it’s in that country’s language.

Sorry drifted a bit off point. Main point is, a cuphead cartoon, in order to do justice to the character and what the character was created for, needs to also capture the spirit, plots, and animation style of the 1930s, much like the game did. If it doesn’t do this, then it will fail.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I can’t believe nobody posted this yet

Wave 2 is officially confirmed

Cuphead now on switch and the creator wants him

We might be hitting a homerun

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can’t believe nobody posted this yet

Wave 2 is officially confirmed

Cuphead now on switch and the creator wants him

We might be hitting a homerun
Also, with the Shovel Knight AT and the Sans costume, that's two indies out of the running. Shantae's still in a grey area, but things are shaping up nicely.

Last edited:

Guidodinho

Smash Rookie
Like Spencer said, it would be amazing to have a character that's 2D-ish or flat like G&W. Especially to have a videogame character that's a homage to classic hand-drawn animation, in a game that's a homage to videogame characters itself (like a tribute in a tribute).
The only way to do the character right too I think. Not even sure if a 3D model would actually look good. I'm sure the smash team could make it look nice, certainly with their good slighty more cartoony artstyle they got going in Ultimate. But it would certainly miss the mark.

He'd deffinetly be a much more ambitious and expensive character to develop if really done right I suppose, if animated like that. But classic K.O.F and StreetFighter games used to pull of some really great 2D character animation as well. So deffinetly possible.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
imo the best way to implement Cuphead and Mugman is to just use the 2D frames from the game and paste them onto a flat 3D Model like Game & Watch. Making a 3D render of the characters would immediately make the characters lose most of their appeal.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I mean... Brothers in Arms, right? I'd deal with the devil for this to happen!

Top Bottom