• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good character against Toon Link?

Jack20XX

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zurruh
3DS FC
1736-2419-8396
I have a friend who is a Toon Link main and had played only as Toon Link for about 6 months since he started playing, the only exception being Crew Battles, in which he would choose Toon Link as well as Link, Marth, and sometimes Pikachu. He has only been playing Smash about 2 months longer than I have, him having about 8 months and me with about 6.

I would constantly play his Toon Link every time we hung out, and I would constantly lose. Since it was his only character and didn't enjoy playing other characters aside from Link from time to time, I started having less and less fun playing with him, after constant losing. I would change mains very often just to try to find a way to beat him. I tried Wolf, Roy, Marth, Falcon, Luigi, Falco, etc., with no luck except for maybe one fluke where he would SD 2 or 3 times.

What was very interesting about all of this is that he didn't use any techskill, and used projectiles to his full advantage, and with the knockback from said projectiles he would open up grab combos or follow ups very easily. I picked up L canceling and wavedashing about 3 months into playing, and still, no results. I was starting to think I just couldn't beat him. But recently he started playing Captain Falcon very often, more than his Toon Link. After a few games warming up, I could beat his Falcon maybe 3 out of 5 times with Luigi. Atleast now I knew I could beat him at Smash in general (atleast sometimes), but that was satisfying for me to realize. But after trying his Toon Link right after beating his Falcon a handful of times, I simply couldn't preform like I did against his Falcon. My biggest problem is the Projectiles. I almost 90% of the time get baited into them and they throw me off.

Now, Fast forward to maybe 4 weeks ago. I had been practicing my Fox a bit, and he came over. We played the Luigi v Falcon match up for a while, each of us kind of trading off wins between each other. Then, he went Toon Link and I went Fox. I lost the first game, but took 2 stocks and like 80% off him. The next game, I picked Fountain of Dreams (a rather bad stage for Fox). I managed to shine spike him twice and get 2 regular kills, and I won. I will admit, I had felt kind of cheap in doing so for some reason, but nonetheless I finally beat his main. We played Fox v Toon Link throughout the night and I found that pretty much the only way I beat his Toon Link is with 2 or sometimes 3 of Fox's shine spike.

LONG STORY SHORT: I can't consistently beat his Toon Link even with my Fox. I am more than willing to have a pocket character specifically for the Toon Link match up. PLEASE! Reccommend a character that would suit this match up!!!

Narpas_sword

from my limited experience, noone is really a major counter, toon link has a good set of tools vs virtually anyone. Stick with your best and learn to fight him.

Changing around mains all the time will just give you more losses.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Falcon, ROB, Mario and Sheik all do pretty well vs TL. It sounds like your main issue is getting around his projectiles, perhaps work on your OOS game more? Smart shield usage works wonders vs them.

Jack20XX

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zurruh
3DS FC
1736-2419-8396
from my limited experience, noone is really a major counter, toon link has a good set of tools vs virtually anyone. Stick with your best and learn to fight him.

Changing around mains all the time will just give you more losses.
I've been trying to play mostly Fox for about 3 weeks now and doing well and having fun, so I think he'll be my main. I really like PM fox compared to Melee fox, ironically.

eskimoparade

Smash Apprentice
toon link can be rather difficult to fight, but something to keep in mind is spacing. think about which stages make it hardest for you.
if you find the easiest ones are smaller stages the answer might be rather simple, the smaller stages are forcing you to stay close to toon link, making it harder to keep you out with projectiles, so even on big stages if you maintain a similiar distance from him making it harder to throw out a projectile without risking just getting hit during the animation, you should do better.

Instead of thinking about WHO to beat toon link with, just focus on HOW to beat toon link.

Last edited:

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
anything rly fast is a bit hard for tink. Falcon and Fox come to mind in that they combo tink super hard due to medium weight. What's neat is that Toon Link can also combo them super hard, but the opening can be a bit hard to get.

What I'm getting at is Tink's hardest matchup is likely spacies and semi spacies (minus wolf, wolf is in Toon Link's favor due to 3.0 level of autocombos), but it's still not too harsh of a MU

DethM

Smash Apprentice
Fox is Tink's biggest counter, probably.

Imo his worst matchups (not in order): Rob, Falcon, Fox, Wolf.

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
I know this is old, but like others said, focus on how to beat him instead of trying to find a character that wins the matchup. Catch his bombs, clank his boomerang, and powershield all three of his projectiles. Especially catching bombs. They'll hitconfirm for you just as well as they do for him.

McLefty

Smash Rookie
The only character that you can beat toon link with, is Young Link him self.

Top Bottom