• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gonna be honest. I’m a little salty about Hero.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I really enjoy Hero’s moveset and think he is a fun edition, but seeing him in action really makes me feel a little existential as a long time Robin main.

Here are my problems

-Both are resource based sword characters with a thunder, wind, and fire spells for special moves, along with a chargeable neutral B.

-One of Robin’s biggest strengths was their ability to deal a ton of damage early, and to also take stocks surprisingly early. This feels a bit invalidated by Hero’s massive damage

-While I think Thoron is more powerful than Hero’s neutral B overall, I’m still annoyed at how easily it charges and combos.

-Tier 2 of Side B does roughly the same amount of damage as Archthunder, but charges almost instantly, covers great range, and can’t be deleted by other projectiles.

-His recovery is much easier to mix up than Robin. Grant it, it uses the same resources as his other moves, but it is much better.

-Heres the biggest wound for me,Hero doesn’t have crap ground speed. I always remembered a tool tip saying that Robin was the slowest “because they make up for it with powerful spells” but look at Hero’s spells. Outside of Thoron they are just better.
-Robin did not get any buffs this patch to help set them apart .

To clarify I’m not calling for a nerf here on Hero, I think the character is really fun. I just feel like his existence is kinda a middle finger to Robin in their current state.

I know Hero has an element of luck, and Robin still has Levin plus a strong set up game, it just feels bad and I wanted to vent a bit about it and see other Robin player’s thoughts.

Last edited:

Stead

Smash Rookie
I was devastated about no mention of Robin in 4.0 patch notes. Just... nothing. Robin is a character that can be buffed in quite a few areas without making him too strong. Things like faster movement speed on the ground, Levin from the start of the game and the ability to use full Elwind even without the necessary charges (because that's how all other of their moves actually work) are the first things that come to mind. There's also the fact that your Levin/tomes lose the durability the very first frame you use them, so you can be hit out of your moves and still waste the resources even though you didn't really get to use a move in question.

Speaking of Hero, I was really not a fan of all those "luck-based mechanics" he has, and I'm still not, but fighting vs him as Robin may not be so bad: while his ground movement is sure faster than Robin's, his air speed doesn't seem impressive at all; combined with aerials that feel sooo slow, it looks like Robin can hold their own against Hero.

Last edited:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Speaking of Hero, I was really not a fan of all those "luck-based mechanics" he has, and I'm still not, but fighting vs him as Robin may not be so bad: while his ground movement is sure faster than Robin's, his air speed doesn't seem impressive at all; combined with aerials that feel sooo slow, it looks like Robin can hold their own against Hero.
Indeed, the hero seems to almost be like an 'inverse' of robin if you remove the command menu from the equation. His movement stats are almost opposite of ours, being average on the ground but almost slowest airspeed in the game. Additionally, all of the hero's special moves use the same resource, so when he runs out of MP he has to fight up close to replenish it, unlike our specials which all use separate durabilities (we also get compensation for depleting resources in the form of discards, whereas hero gets nothing).

I believe that due to the random nature of the command menu, hero players will have to play oppurtunisticly using whatever spells appear, likely defaulting to whatever buff spells may appear to augment their normal gameplay.

Overall, I think as long as robin is able to navigate around the hero's deadly magic, we should be winning the MU.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
So I just played a pretty good online session as Hero and my opinion has changed SIGNIFICANTLY. Heres my change of view.

-I greatly overestimated the recovery. While the distance is great, you are super vulnerable when you need to charge up. This combined with his terrible air speed makes his recovery one of the worst in the game IMO.

-His Side B is pretty delicate. Since you can’t store it you have to charge everytime, and that is quite dangerous when your dealing with rush down. Also if you hold it for too long you spend a TON of MP and you leave yourself open.

-His aerials are all pretty weak outside of Nair, and since Robin thrives on aerials, it really sets the two apart.

I still think hero is fun to play, but he is by no means a Robin replacement, which I gotta admit I was paranoid about.

Last edited:

Stead

Smash Rookie
His movement stats are almost opposite of ours, being average on the ground but almost slowest airspeed in the game.
Oh wooow, so he's that slow in the air? I did feel I had an easy time fighting Hero as Robin today, but I chalked it up to his aerials more than his air speed. I see...

So I just played a pretty good online session as Hero and my opinion has changed SIGNIFICANTLY. I still think hero is fun to play, but he is by no means a Robin replacement, which I gotta admit I was paranoid about.
I can totally share this sentiment! While I don't plan to ever switch from playing Robin, years and years of playing them without getting any real love from the balance team sometimes weights down on me pretty hard. And when you look up the patch notes and there's nothing for you to see, while the update itself brings the character many people named as New/Better Robin, well, that weights on you like a ton.
And yet now it seems that Robin may actually have a favorable MU against Hero. That irony is really sweet to me.

Last edited:

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
So here is a happy conclusion to this thread. Because Hero’s kit is basically a giant middle finger to zoners, he actually covers some of Robin’s worst match ups such as Belmonts and Duck Hunt, making him an excellent secondary to Robin!

His moves and play style are also similar enough to Robin that I feel quite comfortable playing him, yet I would much rather pick Robin against more aggressive characters, especially fast fallers like Wolf and Fox.

So I’m very happy to say that Hero and Robin might end up as best buds rather than worst enemies. At least for me personally. The only big issue I see with this duo is that both have pretty exploitable recoveries.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I am obsessed with spell casters and mages of all kinds, so I was super excited upon learning about Hero. The similarities in fire, lightning and wind spells are a bit silly to me but oh well, that's one thing I can look past. MMMMMM SO MANY SPELLS :demon:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
So here is a happy conclusion to this thread. Because Hero’s kit is basically a giant middle finger to zoners, he actually covers some of Robin’s worst match ups such as Belmonts and Duck Hunt, making him an excellent secondary to Robin!

His moves and play style are also similar enough to Robin that I feel quite comfortable playing him, yet I would much rather pick Robin against more aggressive characters, especially fast fallers like Wolf and Fox.

So I’m very happy to say that Hero and Robin might end up as best buds rather than worst enemies. At least for me personally. The only big issue I see with this duo is that both have pretty exploitable recoveries.
I find Hero's air game difficult to get past as Robin, his sword outranges Levin sword and comes out fast enough that it makes it difficult to challenge in the air.

D

Deleted member

----------

Last edited by a moderator:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I find Hero's air game difficult to get past as Robin, his sword outranges Levin sword and comes out fast enough that it makes it difficult to challenge in the air.
All of the hero's aerials are actually slower than ours, so ordinarily there should be no issue with challenging hero in the air. You probably just need to familiarize yourself more with the MU.

Top Bottom