• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I know for a fact that I just hope we can get at least one fan favorite in this fighters pass and that sakurai and Nintendo are considering assist trophy promotions on the table like at all with the Waluigi situation and hypothetically the backlash the Isaac assist trophy brought. do You guys think nintendo is aware of how many golden sun fans are really out there now?
If they didn’t before, they are starting to now. At least, I hope so. The more we keep Golden Sun (and Isaac for Smash) in the spotlight, the sooner Nintendo will notice more. I’m not giving up on this series. Nor will I ever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know for a fact that I just hope we can get at least one fan favorite in this fighters pass and that sakurai and Nintendo are considering assist trophy promotions on the table like at all with the Waluigi situation and hypothetically the backlash the Isaac assist trophy brought. do You guys think nintendo is aware of how many golden sun fans are really out there now?
I really can’t imagine this first pass will change the role of any character already in the game, considering it was (in all likelihood) decided before the game even went gold.

But I do think Nintendo is aware of the louder backlash to AT reveals. What, if any effect that will have remains to be seen. NoA may not even relay it up the chain, and Japanese reactions weren’t so histrionic.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. But the question is, were they aware on time.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I really can’t imagine this first pass will change the role of any character already in the game, considering it was (in all likelihood) decided before the game even went gold.

But I do think Nintendo is aware of the louder backlash to AT reveals. What, if any effect that will have remains to be seen. NoA may not even relay it up the chain, and Japanese reactions weren’t so histrionic.
There are Nintendo people all over the place. I know without a doubt Nintendo checks Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and even ResetEra. I have even met Nintendo staff at Game Developer meets back when I did Indie (gave it up to prioritize having a great life)

Based on how there are Nintendo NY Reaction videos, they'll have noticed BIG time.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There are Nintendo people all over the place. I know without a doubt Nintendo checks Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and even ResetEra. I have even met Nintendo staff at Game Developer meets back when I did Indie (gave it up to prioritize having a great life)

Based on how there are Nintendo NY Reaction videos, they'll have noticed BIG time.
This is true for the western divisions of Nintendo. Who I doubt are the ones that got to pick the DLC, unless someone there was able to inform NoJ at the very last second.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Perhaps, but they were allegedly blindsided by the performance of K. Rool on the ballot despite intense online demand for the better part of the decade (and even if they weren't - they made no actions to prove otherwise). So even if they are aware, that doesn't inherently correlate to anything being done...

Tetiro

Smash Ace
This is true for the western divisions of Nintendo. Who I doubt are the ones that got to pick the DLC, unless someone there was able to inform NoJ at the very last second.
True but I can confirm things of NOTABLE interest do get pushed upwards. This is why I am investing in the GS Support. With enough effort, we become notable. Like Mother 3 for example.

Perhaps, but they were allegedly blindsided by the performance of K. Rool on the ballot despite intense online demand for the better part of the decade (and even if they weren't - they made no actions to prove otherwise). So even if they are aware, that doesn't inherently correlate to anything being done...
No, but what it does do is it starts conversations. And when that starts, they start to think. All we can do is keep shoving the support for GS in Nintendo's face

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, but what it does do is it starts conversations. And when that starts, they start to think. All we can do is keep shoving the support for GS in Nintendo's face
Well let's hope it does and they do. The K. Rool point is that that's not always the case, despite alleged internet scouring.

Anthess

Smash Rookie
I'm not adding any water to the windmill (what ?) here. Just a message to tell how disappointed I was when I saw Isaac as an AT.

Because... Echoes... It was made for Isaac and Felix, as it was made for Sonic and Shadow. I love the Golden Sun series and it's such a waste to see that Ultimate has seven spirits from this series but no playable character... I always hope for Golden Sun 4, it would give a new breath and a new hope. But it has to be better than the third episode.

For now, I think that it's over for Isaac in Smash Ultimate. It was now or never for me. The case is very different from K. Rool, because K. Rool comes from a very popular series that already had two protagonists into Smash Bros. Donkey Kong series was, is and will be. And well, Golden Sun today, it's only "was", and continues to live thanks to the references in Smash Bros. I have the bad feeling that Sakurai has given his all for the fans of GS with the AT of Isaac.

And... Well, I really hope I'm wrong :)
We really need Isaac AND Felix. (Come on, it's the perfect echo fighter.)

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Cosplay Update! (Sadly no photos)

The last two days have been seriously demanding. I was right to assume the gloves would be hard. The sewing templates alone took far more time than planned. But so far it is going very well! The thumbs are now down and the gussets (parts between your fingers) are ready to be stitched. The decor panels on the back of the gloves are drafted and ready to be made. Provided I got the finger lengths right, it should be clear sailing from now on!

My main concern now lies with the wig. It will be such an ordeal and my big concern is the weight of it. I will figure out it though! In terms of the costume (minus wig), Golden Sunday now can't come soon enough for me! I am 100% a lock for strutting my stuff!

MARCH
20th - J.2 (Prepare the Boning), Gusset Dart Reinforcement, Prep Work for the 21st-24th
21st - Step 13 (Seam Far Left+Right Edges), J.6 (Panel Decor), Step 15 Gussets to Finger Seams) (Hand Stitching Only!)
22nd - Step 15 Gussets to Finger Seams) (Hand Stitching Only!)
23rd - Step 15 Gussets to Finger Seams) (Hand Stitching Only!), Step 16 (Side Seams)
24th - J.1 (Steel Boning Sleeve) and J.3 (Insert Steel Boning) and J.4 (Boning Hem)

25th - Sewing Patterns (Plate Straps)
26th - Cutting Leather and Plate Straps (Step 1)
27th - Plate Straps (Step 2)
28th - Plate Straps (Step 3)
29th - Plate Washers
30th - Plate Sanding and Plate/Bucker/Washer Painting (Primer)
31st - Plate/Bucker/Washer Painting (Coat 1 and 2)

APRIL
1st - Plate/Bucker/Washer Painting (Coat 3)
2nd - Plate/Bucker/Washer Painting (Coat 4)
3rd - Plate/Bucker/Washer Painting (Coat 5)
4th - Plate/Bucker/Washer Painting (Coat 6)
5th -: Plate/Bucker/Washer Painting (Varnish)
6th - Washer-to-Jacket Attachment
7th - Weapon Harness Buttons Attachment

8th - Wig Making Practice
9th - Wig Making Practice
10th - Wig Making Practice
11th - Wig Making Practice
12th - Wig Making Practice
13th - Wig Making Practice
14th - Wig Making Practice + Isaac Cosplay Reveal Day

15th to MCM London Comic Con - Wig Making + Isaac Cosplay Reveal Day

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Doesn't really matter if there's loud backlash or not. It might simply be all what we're getting. And for a dormant franchise as Golden Sun, it's even more than many would expect.

I am not sure if DLC is even going to include first or second party characters anymore. I don't even have high hopes for a Three Houses Fire Emblem character, or a new Pokemon from Sword and Shield. In fact, they might think these franchises have enough characters already, which is a honest and fair point all of it's own.

I might sound pessimistic with that, but I do think there's potential for the popular ATs in Ultimate yet. Considering how many of the newcomers of Ultimate got major upgrades from last time, I do think that the current popular ATs are front runners for newcomers in the next game, if there's even gonna be a next Smash game with a roster as huge as Ultimate's (personally, I think we can expect at least 25-30% of the current roster cut).

Now the examples of newcomers who got a huge boost to playable status from their Smash 4 incarnation:

:ultridley:: Stage boss on Pyro Sphere
:ultdarksamus:: Assist Trophy and alt costume for Samus
:ultisabelle:: Assist Trophy and Mii Costume
:ultkrool:: Mii Costume to throw the fans some bones
:ultchrom:: Weirdly enough, still part of :ultrobin:'s Final Smash and straight up denied from playable status due to not being unique enough
:ultdaisy:: Was a alt costume to :ultpeach: ever since Peach came into Melee
:ultinkling:: Mii Costume for the Gunner

Well, look at that, that's basically all the newcomers but :ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter: and :ultincineroar:. The Belmonts are easy to explain why, Incineroar didn't even excist at the time, and Ken? Well, Ryu was already a DLC character in Smash 4 so having a second Street Fighter character would've been too much honestly.

If there's gonna be another ballot, characters as Isaac, Skull Kid, Waluigi and others are probably gonna be the next most requested. I just have NO idea at all where this gaming franchise is going from Ultimate. It has a huge roster, and seems like the ideal "template" to build future Smash Bros. games around. Just add the modes which Ultimate didn't have, a couple of newcomers and that'd already sell.

With that said, I do think Isaac is pretty safe to expect for a future Smash, if they are gonna build off from Smash Ultimate (keeping the engine and characters exactly like their final patched versions of Ultimate barring possible moveset changes).

There wasn't even as much time in between Smash Wii U and Smash Ultimate's release dates as there was in between Melee and Brawl, or Brawl and Smash 4 3DS, so I do think it's possible that a new Smash Bros. will be made as soon as a next generation Nintendo console is in production.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Now the examples of newcomers who got a huge boost to playable status from their Smash 4 incarnation:
You can maybe add Ken there since he had a trophy in 4, which is more notable because he's third party.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You can maybe add Ken there since he had a trophy in 4, which is more notable because he's third party.
Well counting trophies we have even more characters who promoted from that, counting all the veterans who have been cut before. :ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultlucas::ultmewtwo::ulticeclimbers::ultwolf: all had individual trophies in Smash 4 before they became playable. Mewtwo and Lucas where even a trophy before they got back in THAT GAME as DLC fighers.

So there's that.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
The problem is not that isaac isn't popular or well know, but that the golden sun franchise is in a dormat place for 10 years and we don't know if the developers of the original golden sun and the lost age are still in camelot, not to mention that the budget of a new golden sun would be too high for nintendo to make one considering the disappointing performance of dark dawn both sales wise and critical wise.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
The problem is not that isaac isn't popular or well know, but that the golden sun franchise is in a dormat place for 10 years and we don't know if the developers of the original golden sun and the lost age are still in camelot, not to mention that the budget of a new golden sun would be too high for nintendo to make one considering the disappointing performance of dark dawn both sales wise and critical wise.
While this may have been true a few years ago, I think Golden Sun is more relevant than ever right now and the massive success of RPGs like Octopath Traveler and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 prove that the Switch has a huge audience for games like Golden Sun, and that the return would be great if they just put forth the effort.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey guys I need an opinion. I have two ways to attach the decorative panels to the gloves. One way is to stitch by machine. It will take me at most an hour but the stitching will be visible. Or I take 2-3 hours to hand-stitch it (which will make the stitching invisible)

Which do you think best suits the gloves?

EDIT: Nevermind. Handstitching looks so good!

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Well Matthew isn't canon anymore:p
Doesn't really matter if there's loud backlash or not. It might simply be all what we're getting. And for a dormant franchise as Golden Sun, it's even more than many would expect.

I am not sure if DLC is even going to include first or second party characters anymore. I don't even have high hopes for a Three Houses Fire Emblem character, or a new Pokemon from Sword and Shield. In fact, they might think these franchises have enough characters already, which is a honest and fair point all of it's own.

I might sound pessimistic with that, but I do think there's potential for the popular ATs in Ultimate yet. Considering how many of the newcomers of Ultimate got major upgrades from last time, I do think that the current popular ATs are front runners for newcomers in the next game, if there's even gonna be a next Smash game with a roster as huge as Ultimate's (personally, I think we can expect at least 25-30% of the current roster cut).

:ultridley:: Stage boss on Pyro Sphere
:ultdarksamus:: Assist Trophy and alt costume for Samus
:ultisabelle:: Assist Trophy and Mii Costume
:ultkrool:: Mii Costume to throw the fans some bones
:ultchrom:: Weirdly enough, still part of :ultrobin:'s Final Smash and straight up denied from playable status due to not being unique enough
:ultdaisy:: Was a alt costume to :ultpeach: ever since Peach came into Melee
:ultinkling:: Mii Costume for the Gunner

Well, look at that, that's basically all the newcomers but :ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter: and :ultincineroar:. The Belmonts are easy to explain why, Incineroar didn't even excist at the time, and Ken? Well, Ryu was already a DLC character in Smash 4 so having a second Street Fighter character would've been too much honestly.

If there's gonna be another ballot, characters as Isaac, Skull Kid, Waluigi and others are probably gonna be the next most requested. I just have NO idea at all where this gaming franchise is going from Ultimate. It has a huge roster, and seems like the ideal "template" to build future Smash Bros. games around. Just add the modes which Ultimate didn't have, a couple of newcomers and that'd already sell.

With that said, I do think Isaac is pretty safe to expect for a future Smash, if they are gonna build off from Smash Ultimate (keeping the engine and characters exactly like their final patched versions of Ultimate barring possible moveset changes).

There wasn't even as much time in between Smash Wii U and Smash Ultimate's release dates as there was in between Melee and Brawl, or Brawl and Smash 4 3DS, so I do think it's possible that a new Smash Bros. will be made as soon as a next generation Nintendo console is in production.
If they go beyond the fighter pass and if they do add around 15 characters if that's what the empty WOL slots suggests than I highly doubt all of the characters would be third party then. Licensing costs would just add up to much at that point so they'll need to add characters that they own. And even better they might dive into the spirits and AT pool of characters if we're lucky

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I do think the developers of Golden Sun is sort of an unknown factor in the grand scheme of things, all we really have to go off of is what was stated in a 2012 interview that another Golden Sun would be made if enough fans demanded it, and even that had a 'maybe not' disclaimer on it.

Though I don't think Golden Sun faces any obstactles that seem too crazy to overcome. Like how Fire Emblem went from nearly dying sales to suddenly making it's first million seller when it was actually given proper advertisement. Or Rune Factory's company going bankrupt and that seeming like the end of the series, yet surprisingly it's now expecting a sequel to come out next year.

Even thinking about how long it's been since Dark Dawn's release. Tales of Vesperia comes to mind. It's sole original release was on the 360 back in 2008, then getting a PS3 Japanese only enhanced version the following year. Now ten years later this Japanese only version is finally seeing the light of day to other parts of the world. I was pretty hyped for the announcements for both of those games as I had chalked it up to, 'Never going to happen' and I'm crossing my fingers for Golden Sun to follow suit hopefully lol.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
Seems slow going right now. I hear rumors of more slots being discovered. Not sure what to think about this. Unless someone can hit me with a "it's fake and here's why" to convince me.
Or to give out a "actually it's true" instead.

I can only guess.
I'm sure if there are multiple passes each'll be themed. Probably. Maybe?

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Seems slow going right now. I hear rumors of more slots being discovered. Not sure what to think about this. Unless someone can hit me with a "it's fake and here's why" to convince me.

I can only guess.
Slot aren't too important. Nintendo can just stop at anytime or add more slots if they need to. They probably hasn't even planned that far right now.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

I can only guess.
It's 15 slots for characters that can be added to WoL, 5 which are for the pass including Joker. That leaves 10 that could perfectly be used or unused.
And if you're doubting, then you're not sure after all.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Cosplay Update!!!

I worked over a week on the gloves and they are now done! They came out really well for my first time making gloves!

20190323_221304 - Copy.jpg

20190323_221400 - Copy.JPG

Only three weeks until Golden Sunday and I am fully confident I will make it in time. I even now get a week to practice making wigs. All that is left is to make the plate straps, torso eyelets and paint all the parts that need painting

Can't wait for Golden Sunday!

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Takamaru was much earlier, never released outside of Japan, and was not made as big of a deal when it released, but still bigger than most of those other minor games, could be why we have an Assist Trophy of him but not much more. And Golden Sun, as previously stated, was an out of house development project, and those have a big uphill battle to deal with, as Nintendo doesn't often push for them as much as their in-house games (like you rarely see cameos and references to those games in their EPD and other partnered game releases, but you'll see in-house IP referenced and cameo'd all the time, just look at WarioWare, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, etc). Kid Icarus though, it got references... Remember the Tetris end screen? Heh.
This came from the banjo thread, but it revealed something to me that might be another reason Isaac was possibly denied from base game. It could be that golden sun in 2nd party and not developed in house.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's plenty of series not developed in house. Crucially, '10 ****ing characters' Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, are by external devs. So are Kirby, Earthbound, the DKC series, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Xenoblade, Smash itself...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm glad that "second-party" argument has fallen by the wayside as of late. It used to be more common, but I think people realize that with additions like Cloud, Ryu, and Joker... an IP being jointly owned between the dev and publisher (as is the case for almost all non-EPD IPs) wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There's plenty of series not developed in house. Crucially, '10 ****ing characters' Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, are by external devs. So are Kirby, Earthbound, the DKC series, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Xenoblade, Smash itself...
Monolith Soft aren't exactly "external", are they? They're a first party subsidiary of Nintendo, whereas companies like Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, Camelot, Treasure, etc are just partners they work with from time to time. Technically that would make Shulk more 'Nintendo' than Kirby or Pikachu.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Monolith Soft aren't exactly "external", are they? They're a first party subsidiary of Nintendo, whereas companies like Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, Camelot, Treasure, etc are just partners they work with from time to time. Technically that would make Shulk more 'Nintendo' than Kirby or Pikachu.
They still co-own the Xenoblade IP though, so even if it's not an identical situation, in practice it's still dealing with an additional party - much as it would be for those other companies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They are, so thanks for the correction. Still, N3ON's point stands, and even if it didn't there's still all the other IPs.

Tetiro

Smash Ace

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Cosplay Update! (Last One before Golden Sunday)

Firstly, thank you guys so much for keeping me motivated through this. Thanks to the fantastic support of the Golden Sun community, a dream cosplay for me is finally going to happen. I have learnt how to tailor, sew and use various materials to make an awesome cosplay. Admittedly it will be lacking the wig for Golden Sunday. But fear not! That is now in progress.

And YES. I am going attempt an actual spike wig akin to Issac's do. Between April 14th and May 27th that is the only project I am working on. It will be a huge ordeal!

But between now and Golden Sunday, I will be in the Painting Phase. That means the Armor Plate, Eyelets, Belt Buckle and Buttons will be taken from In Progress to complete. This will also let me finish the Weapon Harness (I need to paint the buttons)

After that, I immediately start work on the wig. Last night I started work on the wig cap and tonight I finish the template and start work on making a wig cap with craft foam. When I said I wanted to make the best Isaac cosplay I could do, I meant it! :)

I've really enjoyed making Isaac. He was the perfect choice for a first costume project for sewing. 5 months experience in sewing and I have come so far!

Just a bit further adepts!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Cosplay Update! (Last One before Golden Sunday)

Firstly, thank you guys so much for keeping me motivated through this. Thanks to the fantastic support of the Golden Sun community, a dream cosplay for me is finally going to happen. I have learnt how to tailor, sew and use various materials to make an awesome cosplay. Admittedly it will be lacking the wig for Golden Sunday. But fear not! That is now in progress.

And YES. I am going attempt an actual spike wig akin to Issac's do. Between April 14th and May 27th that is the only project I am working on. It will be a huge ordeal!

But between now and Golden Sunday, I will be in the Painting Phase. That means the Armor Plate, Eyelets, Belt Buckle and Buttons will be taken from In Progress to complete. This will also let me finish the Weapon Harness (I need to paint the buttons)

After that, I immediately start work on the wig. Last night I started work on the wig cap and tonight I finish the template and start work on making a wig cap with craft foam. When I said I wanted to make the best Isaac cosplay I could do, I meant it! :)

I've really enjoyed making Isaac. He was the perfect choice for a first costume project for sewing. 5 months experience in sewing and I have come so far!

Just a bit further adepts!
Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
It's 15 slots for characters that can be added to WoL, 5 which are for the pass including Joker. That leaves 10 that could perfectly be used or unused.
And if you're doubting, then you're not sure after all.
Quick qualifier here: each slot can also be used for alternate characters, like Alph or the rumored "Jane", since they require separate announcer calls/sound effects. Not positive if this affects our chances, since I can't imagine another character needing 8 total slots like Bowser Jr. does, but it's worth mentioning nonetheless.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Quick qualifier here: each slot can also be used for alternate characters, like Alph or the rumored "Jane", since they require separate announcer calls/sound effects. Not positive if this affects our chances, since I can't imagine another character needing 8 total slots like Bowser Jr. does, but it's worth mentioning nonetheless.
There is also a database with 30 extra slots in it. This combined with the WoL 15 slot thing makes me think that they're merely accommodating for a situation where they make 15 more fighters, all of which have a model-changing costume.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That doesn't apply to the 'WoL slots' of which there are 15. We know that because Plant uses 2 regular slots but only one WoL slot.

Top Bottom