• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if you could choose 5 assist trophies to promote to playable who would you pick?
Isaac: For obvious reasons.
Waluigi: Just to stop the annoying controversy.
Prince of Sable: Would have a unique moveset and reference a very obscure bit of Nintendo (and Zelda) history. Alternatively, Takamaru would be nice, though his moveset would be less unique, and people would complain about "another anime sword boy."
Dillon: I've never played any Dillon game, but I feel like he would be a really fun character.
Bomberman: Explosions everywhere.

As a bonus, 4/5 of these options would be new series in Smash Bros., which is always cool.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
You can add me to the supporters list. I've seen so much Isaac support for so long, and lately I've been playing Golden Sun on Wii U VC, at this point he's one of my top 2 most wanted. Fire Emblem is up to seven reps already, freeing up a single slot for a first Golden Sun rep doesn't seem like so much to ask for.

They really did him dirty with that Assist Trophy though, looks basically just like a lazy port from his Brawl AT. That being said, I don't see any reason to believe ATs are de-confirmation. There's no rule against it, and Smash DLC doesn't have enough history to even say there's a clear precedent against it.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
As for the five SSBU assist trophies I would promote-
-Isaac, for obvious reasons.
-Shadow, also for obvious reasons, and for the fact that most everybody expected him anyway.
-Takamaru, because I like to play as "anime" sword characters myself, and for the possibility of his game getting a sequel.
-Skull Kid, 'cause even though I would want Vaati much more, I'll settle for S.K. as the new unique Zelda rep.
-Ashley, because Warioware is fun and she seems to be the Warioware rep people want the most.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I found footage of Isaac's assist trophy in case anyone is curious about it and yes the name for the IsaacForSmash account has been changed to Isaac's Ultimate Allied Adepts. We are in the middle of making a new profile picture at the moment since we are rebranding to have a bigger focus on reviving the Golden Sun series while still pushing for his Smash inclusion of course
Why Sakurai took out his sassy hip pose though? lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I found footage of Isaac's assist trophy in case anyone is curious about it and yes the name for the IsaacForSmash account has been changed to Isaac's Ultimate Allied Adepts. We are in the middle of making a new profile picture at the moment since we are rebranding to have a bigger focus on reviving the Golden Sun series while still pushing for his Smash inclusion of course
Wow, they really outdone themselves with his assist, he looks so powerful. (without being annoying)

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if you could choose 5 assist trophies to promote to playable who would you pick?

It's harder than I thought at first, competition between assist trophies would be pretty fierce.

Isaac (duh)
Bomberman
Waluigi
Ashley
Krystal or Skull Kid (coin toss)

Consolations to: Riki, Shadow, Dillon, Shovel Knight, Starfy, Sukapon, Takamaru, Midna (there's actually a load of great candidates)

I'm basing it off Ultimate. (Otherwise Ray MK would probably be included)
Ooooh why you gotta make this hard, I would love to play almost all of the ATs. But since I have to pick 5...
1. Isaac
2. Shovel Knight
3. Bomberman
4. Zero
5. Dillon
I would play almost any of them but those we be my preference.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Love how he repositions with a teleport to better attack positions.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

It's harder than I thought at first, competition between assist trophies would be pretty fierce.

Isaac (duh)
Bomberman
Waluigi
Ashley

Consolations to: Riki, Shadow, Dillon, Shovel Knight, Starfy, Sukapon, Takamaru, Midna (there's actually a load of great candidates)

For me, the list is Bomberman, Krystal, Isaac, Shadow, and Lyn.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here's my list of Assist Trophies I would want to see get promoted in a future DLC pack:

1. Krystal

2. Zero

3. Isaac

4. Bomberman

5. Waluigi

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Isaac (duh)
Bomberman
Waluigi
Ashley

Isaac
Prince Sable
Waluigi
Takamaru
Knuckles

Though I could probably name 20 or more I'd passionately support to be promoted. As painful as the snowglobe consolation prize may be, it really does bring along a great cast in and of itself.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
They really did him dirty with that Assist Trophy though, looks basically just like a lazy port from his Brawl AT. That being said, I don't see any reason to believe ATs are de-confirmation. There's no rule against it, and Smash DLC doesn't have enough history to even say there's a clear precedent against it.
Isabelle was an assist trophy in Sm4sh, her assist trophy has been removed in Ultimate. Not playable in Sm4sh, playable in Ultimate. There has yet to be a character who is both fighter and assist trophy within the same game. So that is pretty much a rule: assist trophy and fighter are mutually exclusive. Can be one or the other (or neither) but not both. Isaac can't get in Ultimate.

... That said! I've been searching around and found this:
https://twitter.com/DominicHaigh/status/1058111758370566144

The sales are actually showing potential for that series. Dark Dawn may have underperformed, but that's to be expected with some controversial decisions the dev team took... #MakeThoseTutorialsSkippable #StopTalkingSoMuch #NoNoReturnPoints ...That and Isaac and Garet's sons being slightly modified copy/paste versions of their fathers.

Back on track! Because despite this, the game still performed reasonably well all things considered and its puzzles were quite enjoyable. Which means there is hope for a sequel one day. No reason to kill a potentially profitable series. I'm not putting too much stock into the recent rumours - they only started because of a renewed trademark, which could simply be to include Isaac's assist trophy. But Nintendo has tried rebooting a few series on Switch already and it's not unthinkable they'll try the same for Golden Sun. They have more than enough money to cushion a failed attempt anyway, yet stand to gain more than to lose given the franchise's previous sales. And if a sequel does happen on Switch... one of the DLC characters could either be Felix or the new MC, either serving to promote awareness of the series as a whole and generate hype.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You can add me to the supporters list. I've seen so much Isaac support for so long, and lately I've been playing Golden Sun on Wii U VC, at this point he's one of my top 2 most wanted. Fire Emblem is up to seven reps already, freeing up a single slot for a first Golden Sun rep doesn't seem like so much to ask for.

Lazy port? It doesn't even look like his old assist, does new stuff and can you even port stuff from Wii to Switch? Don't let your emotions cloud your objective judgement.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
1) Isaac
2) Shadow
3) Waluigi
4) Skull Kid
5) Any other AT that's highly requested

Seriously, there are so many great choices! Nintendo would be making bank if they promote ATs instead of trying to find more new 3rd parties for DLC.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
How would you feel if they made a mobile Golden Sun game? (similar to Dragalia Lost)
I would be ok with a The World Ends With You Solo Remix style mobile game. It’s a remaster of the original DS game, but for phones. And it was great. So great, in fact, that they ported it to the Switch and tripled the price.

But a gocha Golden Sun game.... eeeeew. What’s terrible is I can actually see it working. Really. Really. Reaaaally well.

Think about it. Loot box based system. You can get materials, weapons and armor via lootboxes, but most importantly, Djinn.

You can use Djinn to boost stats Grant and new Psynergy/alter classes, just like in the games. Have a smorgasbord of new cute little creatures. Special ones can only be obtained for a limited time. They’ll give you powerful Psynergy spells.

If done right Djinn can be hella marketable. And it’s disgusting just thinking about it.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I would be ok with a The World Ends With You Solo Remix style mobile game. It’s a remaster of the original DS game, but for phones. And it was great. So great, in fact, that they ported it to the Switch and tripled the price.

But a gocha Golden Sun game.... eeeeew. What’s terrible is I can actually see it working. Really. Really. Reaaaally well.

Think about it. Loot box based system. You can get materials, weapons and armor via lootboxes, but most importantly, Djinn.

You can use Djinn to boost stats Grant and new Psynergy/alter classes, just like in the games. Have a smorgasbord of new cute little creatures. Special ones can only be obtained for a limited time. They’ll give you powerful Psynergy spells.

If done right Djinn can be hella marketable. And it’s disgusting just thinking about it.
I'd even take a gatcha game at this point. That's how desperate I am.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I'd even take a gatcha game at this point. That's how desperate I am.
I mean, on one hand, it’ll open up Golden Sun to a wide audience, making the possibility of an actual GS more likely....

On the other it’s literally turning my favorite thing in the world into my least favorite thing in the world.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I tell you, Isaac AT is going to be one of the most popular ones, he's easy to identify, useful (even OP it seems) and we made noise about him.
He is going to leave a big, shining mark.

D

Deleted member

Has anyone spotted an Isaac Spirit? He's probably gonna have one, but I wonder what his battle is gonna be like

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Has anyone spotted an Isaac Spirit? He's probably gonna have one, but I wonder what his battle is gonna be like
It could possibly be his AT with an Ike or Roy being Garet, a Shulk being Ivan and a Zelda being Mia for example.
Or for Felix Spirit you fight alonside an Isaac against Saturoy and Lucinardi on a stage were fire rains etc (with Lucina having death scythe).
For Fusion Dragon or Doom Dragon you could fight Ridley, Charizard and Bowser always stacked together, or replacing each other as you progress into the fight.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Isaac (duh)
Bomberman
Waluigi
Ashley

Easy honestly.

1. Isaac
2. Skull Kid
3. Krystal
4. Black Knight
5. Lyn

How are we all holding up?

I came to a conclusion that even if Isaac is again a AT, he at least has a far more diverse attack pattern. And it seems that a few of these moves would work as Specials, or even grab attacks. That's at least... something? Considering Little Mac had less in Brawl and became playable in Smash 4, and in Smash 4, Dark Samus had less and she becomes playable in Ultimate.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
It could possibly be his AT with an Ike or Roy being Garet, a Shulk being Ivan and a Zelda being Mia for example.
Or for Felix Spirit you fight alonside an Isaac against Saturoy and Lucinardi on a stage were fire rains etc (with Lucina having death scythe).
For Fusion Dragon or Doom Dragon you could fight Ridley, Charizard and Bowser always stacked together, or replacing each other as you progress into the fight.
Please no Felix spirit! If there's a Felix spirit, chances for a Golden Sun character as DLC will plummet even further down. *cries in a corner*

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Felix is a spirit, sorry.
And i don't think it changes anything since most playable characters have a spirit too.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Isabelle was an assist trophy in Sm4sh, her assist trophy has been removed in Ultimate. Not playable in Sm4sh, playable in Ultimate. There has yet to be a character who is both fighter and assist trophy within the same game. So that is pretty much a rule: assist trophy and fighter are mutually exclusive. Can be one or the other (or neither) but not both. Isaac can't get in Ultimate.
I doubt that they would ever plan from the start for a character to be both an Assist Trophy and a playable fighter in the base game, so I agree with you on that much. What I don't think is so certain is that Sakurai and Nintendo rule out Assist Trophy characters from consideration when planning DLC down the road.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Felix is a spirit, sorry.
And i don't think it changes anything since most playable characters have a spirit too.
I believe the playable characters’ spirits are unequippable though. The Felix spirit is equippable.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I believe the playable characters’ spirits are unequippable though. The Felix spirit is equippable.
Not hard to change with a patch. Not that I think Felix has a chance of an ice cube in hell.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still say, they can model swap Matthew over Isaac, and then still make Isaac playable. He needs major work on that sword of his though. It looks way too square and not fitting for any iconic sword Isaac carries in either Golden Sun or The Lost Age, those being the Gaia Blade and Sol Blade of course.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I still say, they can model swap Matthew over Isaac, and then still make Isaac playable. He needs major work on that sword of his though. It looks way too square and not fitting for any iconic sword Isaac carries in either Golden Sun or The Lost Age, those being the Gaia Blade and Sol Blade of course.
Tbh i'd prefer if they adjusted it to be closer to his battle sprite, rather than using DD's sword design.
mainly because there his no way he could sheathe it. Isaac lets out a howl.jpg

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The sales are actually showing potential for that series. Dark Dawn may have underperformed, but that's to be expected with some controversial decisions the dev team took... #MakeThoseTutorialsSkippable #StopTalkingSoMuch #NoNoReturnPoints ...That and Isaac and Garet's sons being slightly modified copy/paste versions of their fathers.

Back on track! Because despite this, the game still performed reasonably well all things considered and its puzzles were quite enjoyable. Which means there is hope for a sequel one day. No reason to kill a potentially profitable series. I'm not putting too much stock into the recent rumours - they only started because of a renewed trademark, which could simply be to include Isaac's assist trophy. But Nintendo has tried rebooting a few series on Switch already and it's not unthinkable they'll try the same for Golden Sun. They have more than enough money to cushion a failed attempt anyway, yet stand to gain more than to lose given the franchise's previous sales. And if a sequel does happen on Switch... one of the DLC characters could either be Felix or the new MC, either serving to promote awareness of the series as a whole and generate hype.
Removing AT's who become playable in a new game *is* a rule. But being unable to promote AT's to playable via DLC is *not* until Sakurai himself says so. We've had exactly one set of DLC to go on as a track record. And the same type of picks are impossible to make this time because half of those fighters were veterans.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Does anyone have some inspiration movie quote or tv or game clip where a hero was just defeated (maybe even killed) but they (or other characters) talk about the future with hope? Super specific I I know, but I’m looking for something like that for my golden Sunday video.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Well, truth to be told. Chrom is both a part of Robin's Final Smash, and a playable character. :ultchrom:

This isn't saying much of course in regard to Isaac. But there's at least one exception here.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
sakurai has failed once again. can't trust the guy to make the right choices. wonder what chance isaac has for the next game.
None whatsoever, so long as his fans have this poor attitude you're demonstrating. I dare you to tell Sakurai that he's a failure who can't make the right choices and then see if he happily hands you the characters you want.

Spoiler alert: it won't happen.

Fight for Isaac with perseverance and patience. Throwing slanderous rhetoric around only hurts your cause.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Isaac
Lyn
Takamaru
Waluigi
Skull Kid

Honorable mentions to Sukapon, Spring Man, and....Dr. Kawashima.

If we include cut Assists:
Isaac
Infantry & Tanks (as part of an Advance Wars CO moveset)
Lyn
Saki
Ray MK III

If the Advance Wars thing doesn't count, then throw Takamaru back into the mix.

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have some inspiration movie quote or tv or game clip where a hero was just defeated (maybe even killed) but they (or other characters) talk about the future with hope? Super specific I I know, but I’m looking for something like that for my golden Sunday video.
Can't think of any off the top of my head, but maybe look for some said by (POTENIAL SPOILERS) Zack Fair in final fantasy?

Well, truth to be told. Chrom is both a part of Robin's Final Smash, and a playable character. :ultchrom:

This isn't saying much of course in regard to Isaac. But there's at least one exception here.
Speaking of which, I read up on Jon from Gameexplain's twitter after Isaac was deconfirmed as an assist and was kinda ticked off how he more or less was saying Isaac and other assist trophies wouldn't have been DLC character regardless of whether or not they reprised their roles as such. Not to bash on insiders, but man do some of them come off as pompous folks.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace

Isaac (duh)
Bomberman
Waluigi
Ashley

Isaac
Zero
Lyn

That’s it... yeah I don’t really have any attachment to any other assists.

Apparently I like swordfighters...

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
https://mobile.twitter.com/DominicHaigh/status/1058111758370566144
This guy did a sales comparison of Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade.

While VGCharts is not completely accurate, it does make you wonder what is going on.
Honestly I feel if camelot didn't wait so long in making the third game then just maybe Golden Sun could have been more established with more subsequent releases and keep interest going. What IntellSys did right at least was not stopping fire emblem after mediocre sales. At the same time, it's not like the sales for Dark Dawn were so bad if we go by that figure and the ratings were at least above average. *shrugs* I really do wonder what is going on behind scenes.

Edit: Also sucks considering the staff situation too

Last edited:
Top Bottom