• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I just don't understand the Isaac reference photo. If he is not a playable character that picture is incredibly mean spirited of Sakurai. Like really really mean. The Isaac/Golden Sun community has not been hostile even after Smash four stripped almost all the Golden Sun Content away. So if Isaac isn't in why get our hopes up to crush it again. Especially since a lot of Isaac supporters have been wanting him for almost two decades. It doesn't make sense to me unless he wanted to use the fan base to promote discussion of Isaac before his inclusion.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Sm4sh had 7 DLC characters.

The hope for Isaac and other highly voted characters is not over.

Yes I want him in base, but until he is an AT or we hear no DLC

Then the dream aint dead.
And I dunno how many of you watched the direct live, but while I was waiting the last 7-8 minutes of music was all GS remixed tracks except for 1. I heard Judgment and a lighthouse (Venus if I remember right) and I dunno if a character has ever been hinted at in that way. But I for one got pretty hyped by that, and I think I am still very hopeful for the next Direct.

If I am wrong that is fine, but if they are going to be doing alot of semi-echoes like Isabelle that, to me, means they had more time to work on more unique characters. Stay positive guys, nobody wants to watch a thread devolve into a pity party.
Edit: spelling.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
And I dunno how many of you watched the direct live, but while I was waiting the last 7-8 minutes of music was all GS remixed tracks except for 1. I heard Judgment and a lighthouse (Venus if I remember right) and I dunno if a character has ever been hinted at in that way. But I for one got pretty hyped by that, and I think I am still very hopeful for the next Direct.

If I am wrong that is fine, but if they are going to be doing alot of semi-echoes like Isabelle that, to me, means they had more time to work on more unique characters. Stay positive guys, nobody wants to watch a thread devolve into a pitty party.
You most likely were viewing a third party stream.

Unless it was the official one, but I didn't hear anything. It just sort of started.

I just don't understand the Isaac reference photo. If he is not a playable character that picture is incredibly mean spirited of Sakurai. Like really really mean. The Isaac/Golden Sun community has not been hostile even after Smash four stripped almost all the Golden Sun Content away. So if Isaac isn't in why get our hopes up to crush it again. Especially since a lot of Isaac supporters have been wanting him for almost two decades. It doesn't make sense to me unless he wanted to use the fan base to promote discussion of Isaac before his inclusion.
Yes, the angle is very Golden Sun. I think it means he's in, the base or DLC game.

That being said Sakurai does like to tease fanbases. Tom Nook just now. Waluigi earlier this year. Of course those characters are from light hearted series so they could take the blunt of the joke. The only one he teased from a more serious franchise was Chrom (who I'm still surprised made it in)

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman

If I am wrong that is fine, but if they are going to be doing alot of semi-echoes like Isabelle that, to me, means they had more time to work on more unique characters. Stay positive guys, nobody wants to watch a thread devolve into a pitty party.
Ok thank you for that confirmation. They were playing nothing but golden sun music before the direct too I thought I was going crazy because no one else has mentioned it.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
we were prolly looking too far into it and looking very very stupid to people in the process. (hell one of my friends thinks isaac supporters are kinda crazy) all the tweet said was that the picture looked cool. no mention of the camera angle, the rpgness of it, no mention of hunters nothing. we prolly never had any "clues" to begin with!

nintendo doesn't play music for their directs

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion

I don’t know much about gs so I didn’t recognize any music of it, but now that you mentioned that it makes me curious if maybe sakurai is teasing y’all Isaac fans before his big reveal in the next smash focused direct.

I also get the nagging feeling they’re doing the same with us geno fans by the bombardment of ff/square games revealed near the end of the direct. Maybe my original theory was true that they’re saving both our favorite characters for a rpg character focused smash direct?

....though I’m possibly also just clinging to any hope i can as this uncertainty is killing me...

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

Edit: spelling.
I've heard multiple people mention this, but I didn't hear any music before the direct started while watching it on Youtube. Does anyone have any evidence that this happened?

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Hey what do y’all on the Isaac board think the chance for a smash focus direct at the end of the month or very start of October is?
It's hard to say, we've been blessed with so many smash directs and stuff the past few months I kinda feel bad asking for more.
Still there's a lot we still don't know about the game and new fighters.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hard to say. My gut says the next big Smash Direct will be early to mid November. Being used as a means to push sales for the holidays. As much as I want it October, it makes more sense in November.
Well actually I ran statistics for that. November is a lock. Nintendo in the last 6 years have NEVER missed a November Direct. So it is a lock.

As for days, I have jotted down the past days and noticed trends

07/11/2012 - Wednesday
13/11/2013 - Wednesday
05/11/2014 - Wednesday
12/11/2015 - Thursday
02/11/2016 - Wednesday
07/11/2017 - Tuesday

They clearly prefer a Wednesday Direct in November and within the first 14 days of the month. As a result, these are likely dates

Tuesday: 6th, 13th
Wednesday: 7th, 14th (Most Likely)
Thursday: 8th

Hope this clears things up!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've heard multiple people mention this, but I didn't hear any music before the direct started while watching it on Youtube. Does anyone have any evidence that this happened?
I clicked on a link someone had posted to the stream they were talking about and it was playing Golden Sun music however it definitely wasn't the official stream.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
guys. nintendo doesn't do the play music while waiting thing. it was probably through someone else. on ninty's site it was dead silent before it started like it always.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
If one is putting lots of stock in Sakurai's 'Don't expect too many newcomers' words. I don't see why Sakurai saying he's relying on the ballot this roster edition is being viewed as any less credible.

This puts Isaac in a more favorable position than any character that we can check off a list because we're paranoid of Isaac not being in and forcing ourselves to believe that someone took his spot. He has a pre existing Brawl model to work off, he has the long requested popularity that Ridley and K. Rool had, he has the fan demand that I'm sure no doubt increased when his assist was cut, and on top of that he's a new IP with unique move potential that no one else on the roster can replicate. Also he's a jrpg protag that Sakurai has a thing for.

If Isaac's not in the game, of course it'll hurt like a you know what cause this felt like his best chances ever. I'm still excited for this game as a whole, I even have my work vacation planned around it's release. But I'll say I honestly fear Isaac not being in the game for the sake of the mentality of this thread alone. If the aftermath of Isabelle's reveal is what there is to look forward to upon Isaac's deconfirmation, oh boy I'm certain this is the last place I'll want to be to rub more salt in the wound.

I understand disappointment but after a while it becomes a flat out chore to read through. I prefer to optimistically wait for the next Smash direct in anticipation of Isaac and what his appearance can potentially mean for Golden Sun's revival, than dwell on Isabelle's reveal killing Isaac's chances of getting in Smash or that Golden Sun has no future.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
What did you wish they explored more in Golden Sun?

For me it was Xian / Fuchin Temple, most notably the chi stuff. Martial Artists mention that chi comes from a force/energy from within the body (which is why they do a lot of physical conditioning and meditation), while the magic adepts used are drawn from outside forces, like water, grass, electricity, gravity, etc.

I think it makes the monks look badass, cause they weren't born with adept magic, yet they trained themselves to be able to do things like Force. I was disappointed Dark Dawn had no such character. Martial Artists are usually pretty cool in JRPGs too... like Yang from FF4 or Regal from ToS. cause they literally just punch and kick dragons and such.

I tried to look for a trailer hint in the Isabelle trailer but couldn't find anything.
There’s a few things they could have touched up on. I, for one, would have loved more lore and possible event regarding Anemos.

I find it so intriguing that, if the stories are to be believed, Weyards Moon is the underside of an ancient city of Jupiter Adepts and that Sheba may come from there.

But we still don’t have any solid confirmation aside from a giant hole in the ground and Sheba’s mysterious falling from the sky bit.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
guys. nintendo doesn't do the play music while waiting thing. it was probably through someone else. on ninty's site it was dead silent before it started like it always.
Sorry bout that, I just had 4 options come up to watch it live and that had the largest viewing so I assumed it was the official.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
There’s a few things they could have touched up on. I, for one, would have loved more lore and possible event regarding Anemos.

I find it so intriguing that, if the stories are to be believed, Weyards Moon is the underside of an ancient city of Jupiter Adepts and that Sheba may come from there.

But we still don’t have any solid confirmation aside from a giant hole in the ground and Sheba’s mysterious falling from the sky bit.
Oh yeah that stuff was interesting. I love the geography of Weyard, I would love to find out more about it. I bet you all of these lost civilizations gave a lot of kids a sense of adventure at release.

Weyard it seems to be flat, but there appears to be a moon and moons have orbits...that's a mystery in of itself

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I think the thing that most disappointed me about Isabelle being revealed might also be the reason everybody went all doom and gloom. It isn't that is was her per say, she is a very liked character and AC having another rep isn't a bad thing.

It was that she killed the hype train...let me explain.
Ridley: bam out of the floor after killing 2 people.
Simon: bam killed death! (Can you even do that?)
K. Rool: bam b**** smack DeDeDe!
Isabelle: lalala cleaning the office...

See? Hype train derailed! No more good characters! We are all gonna die!
Everybody should chill out a little bit.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
So people I have been wondering about what do you prefer for Isaac if he should focus on one aspect for his moveset ?

- Earth base moveset
- All around elemental moveset
- Utility psynergy moveset ("Move" and so on)

I'd personally choose the second option. Not really hyped about utility psynergy though, just one or two at maximum would be enough.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I think the thing that most disappointed me about Isabelle being revealed might also be the reason everybody went all doom and gloom. It isn't that is was her per say, she is a very liked character and AC having another rep isn't a bad thing.

That's the thing ! We expeted too much of what was a simple general direct. The smash train was just making a stop there to refuel. We can only blame ourselves for assuming everything is smash centered.
That said it's only natural and human thing to be hyped, let's just not blame ourselves too much and learn from it !
And there's a bright side in this, we got a great character and thank god Amiibo festival 2 wasn't announced.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace

I completely agree! And even if it was a hyped trailer, I think the Hype Train would have slowed down anyway. After all we went from Simon (third party) and K Rool (heavily requested) down to Isabelle. Isabelle is amazing but the poor gal had no chance against the King and the Vampire Killer.

EDIT: To put it short, here were my reactions.

Inklings: Predictable
Ridley: Ah awesome!
Simon: WHAT!?
K Rool: WHAT!?!?! AWESOME!
Isabelle: Oh ok. That's pretty cool. But after K Rool...

I think my hype for Isabelle would have been so much higher had she been after Inklings. K Rool and Simon is a real tough act to follow.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
If one is putting lots of stock in Sakurai's 'Don't expect too many newcomers' words. I don't see why Sakurai saying he's relying on the ballot this roster edition is being viewed as any less credible.
/QUOTE]
I think people are worried because of Smash 4.

A lot of the characters weren't ballot. Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Corrin, Greninja, and Bowser Jr. Megaman, Villager, and Little Mac definitely did well on the ballots though and I do welcome a lot of the characters I mentioned too, but it felt like there was less fan input than right now or during Brawl when it came to the characters.

Ridley and King K Rool were missing. Isaac as well.

Also there the representation was weird. I love Kid Icarus Uprising, but it received so much content while F-Zero, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Wario were pretty barren. Then there was Fire Emblem where a lot of its new content was just from Awakening.

Also a lot of established rules were broken. Final Fantasy had a pretty huge Nintendo precense, but Cloud? Not really. Bayonetta was a 3rd party, and while she is an icon, she wasn't Ryu, Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Snake, and Megaman level.

All of this made it seem like it was a mix of advertising and Sakurai's own personal tastes influencing what the game received. Also it added an element of unpredictability to the roster. For Brawl, all of the choices seemed more or less obvious besides for Snake.

So people I have been wondering about what do you prefer for Isaac if he should focus on one aspect for his moveset ?

- Earth base moveset

I'll personally chose the second option. Not really hyped about utility psynergy though, just one or two at maximum should be enough.
Earth. The cool thing about Golden Sun is an element isn't just one note. Water isn't just water... its mist, fog, mud, snow, ice, etc.

Earth is even more diverse in GS. Rocks/Minerals, Salt, Death/Life, Ground, Sand, Plant Life, controlling animals, etc.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
i may not like animal crossing but isabelle is really cute :3 but also the thing about that is she's a semi clone. which means she takes up a "spot" now who's to say shadow won't either if he comes? or impa as a sheik semi? leaving less and less room for isaac.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
They really mishandled the series (Advance Wars)... in their own country. Its baffling.

Late releases for EVERY non Famicom entry in the series. It makes no sense.
Well actually Dual Strike made it on time. And mind you that was the game that was going to shape AW's future in Japan.

...And it failed...miserably.

One of the reasons why I don't look back fondly on that game. Granted it was fun an all but it was a marketing disaster that spelled the franchise's demise.
Except Vergeben said that Minecraft content was in the game....and whether it's Steve or Banjo & Kazooie I don't really see them making a deal with Microsoft and not getting a character out of it.

I'm hoping Sakurai announces his plans for dlc in the November direct, he did say he plans to reveal the "designs" of every character before release. I'm thinking this could be the form it'll take. If what I'm thinking happens then we'll probably get renders of all of the planned dlc characters in the final Smash direct. So even if Isaac doesn't make it on to the base roster, maybe we'll still know his fate before release.
I think the deal could have been for Minecraft to have a stage and Banjo to be DLC. But I don't agree with the notion of planned DLC characters being shown off at once. They're going to spread out the reveals like they usually do.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
i may not like animal crossing but isabelle is really cute :3 but also the thing about that is she's a semi clone. which means she takes up a "spot" now who's to say shadow won't either if he comes? or impa as a sheik semi? leaving less and less room for isaac.
I'm pretty sure there are no spots. Sakurai is the sort of guy who will keep on adding until the last minute. I think Sakurai is trying to make everyone happy. We are still on track to having a very generous number of newcomers.

After all we are at 9 newcomers now (echo + unique). At the rate Sakurai is going we could actually make 12+ or even 15 if we are lucky. It all depends on two factors

1, does October get a single character reveal? (1+ characters)
2, does Smash get another Direct to itself and will it have the same number as the August one (2+ newcomers, 3+ echoes)

If the answer to both is yes, that is still a very nice number! (We could have 8 uniques and 7 echoes)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I feel like it was also because she was unique and not an echo. I think due to Vergeben most people were expecting her, so it's not like people are acting like she's an unexpected character.

I think her reveal as a unique character ended up clashing with peoples view that we're already not getting many unique newcomers. Arguably people were already feeling pretty pessimistic about that so Isabelle being unique certainly wasn't going to help them become more optimistic about it.

I think it also doesn't help that she didn't bring a new stage with her, so the no more stage argument still stands strong.

Still with all that said I do think there are still surprises in store, there always are so I won't pretend to know how this is all going to pan out in the end. I think at this point that's the healthiest attitude you can have.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
My guess atm :
- First a pokemon direct focusing on Let's go and possibly Pokemon 2019 with a pokemon smash rep annouced.
- Then another smash direct with 2 newcomers and a bunch of echoes just like the last one.

Or maybe reversed idk.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I still believe in the hero villain theme. I think there will be something in October which will start off with Skull kid. then I bet the 7th gen Pokemon will be announced with some other smaller things.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
People are still gloom? Guys we knew that Isabelle was in the game because of missing AT, it's the same for Shadow and Isaac. + Isaac was hard tease.

We still have plenty of echoes and newcommers, no worries there, which character would be as hype to end it all? Isaac, Geno and Banjo. We all know that Isaac is the more likely because he's first party and Nintendo needs more then one new first party Ip in Smash5.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Well actually Dual Strike made it on time. And mind you that was the game that was going to shape AW's future in Japan.

...And it failed...miserably.

One of the reasons why I don't look back fondly on that game. Granted it was fun an all but it was a marketing disaster that spelled the franchise's demise.
I have so many hours in Dual Strike, but yeah I wonder why it was marketed so terribly.

Like the game has elements that would be popular amongst Japanese gamers and Nintendo fans.

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
I'm just looking forward for the next Smash Direct at this point.
Hopefully we'll have one on October and Im pretty sure we'll finally see who we want make his return. 50 Cent.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure there are no spots. Sakurai is the sort of guy who will keep on adding until the last minute. I think Sakurai is trying to make everyone happy. We are still on track to having a very generous number of newcomers.

After all we are at 9 newcomers now (echo + unique). At the rate Sakurai is going we could actually make 12+ or even 15 if we are lucky. It all depends on two factors

1, does October get a single character reveal? (1+ characters)
2, does Smash get another Direct to itself and will it have the same number as the August one (2+ newcomers, 3+ echoes)

If the answer to both is yes, that is still a very nice number! (We could have 8 uniques and 7 echoes)
I wonder if the blog post theory regarding there being three character trailer posts on average each week until release will end up being accurate.

Back then we decided that it would mean we'd get 9 more characters, excluding Isabelle that puts us at another 8 characters potentially. (give or take one or two I guess)

People are still gloom? Guys we knew that Isabelle was in the game because of missing AT
I don't think anyone is upset because they're surprised Isabelle is in the game. :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I have so many hours in Dual Strike, but yeah I wonder why it was marketed so terribly.

Like the game has elements that would be popular amongst Japanese gamers and Nintendo fans.
The JPN boxart for that game was a disgrace and Intelligent Systems should be ashamed of themselves for even letting it happen. It's no wonder the game did so badly there. Especially considering how fun it is to play.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
My guess atm :
- First a pokemon direct focusing on Let's go and possibly Pokemon 2019 with a pokemon smash rep annouced.
- Then another smash direct with 2 newcomers and a bunch of echoes just like the last one.

Or maybe reversed idk.
Now that's quite realistic. I like this a lot. Especially as Pokemon always gets a new rep. And considering Sun and Moon sold buckets, it's pretty much a lock at this point.

So that leaves 2 uniques. Hmmm...It's tough. 2 more uniques and 3 echoes. Because now while I think about it, it is even more a fact that Isabelle would be highly requested and that she would get in because of New Leaf.

Uniques - Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Rayman, Elma, Dixie(?) or Bandana Dee(?). (2 of them)
Pokemon Rep
Echoes - Shadow, Ken, Dixie (?), Bandana Dee(?), Impa, Jeanne or Octolings

You know, I'd actually be contempt with any of them. The fact I am contempt with Isaac not even being in is just how awesome a job Sakurai is doing this time

Last edited:

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
My guess atm :

Or maybe reversed idk.
I actually can get behind this train of thought.
Nice.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice

- Earth base moveset

I'd personally choose the second option. Not really hyped about utility psynergy though, just one or two at maximum would be enough.
All three! Call me greedy.

I mean most of his base attacks could be more revolved around his earth psynergy. They could give him a Shulk like Djinn cycle system, allowing you to alter his specials a little such as he could get Astral Blast instead of Ragnarok if he switches to a Jupiter Djinn, and just give them slightly different properties such as greater knockback for Astral Blast and higher damage for Ragnarok and have these attacks come from the same arc or direction. His utility psynergy will be in his grabs and maybe a couple of his standard moves. Also similarly to Shulk, (but not to the same quality) they could enhance his movement speed or his weight depending on what Djinn hes using at the time.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Tetiro Tetiro We could also have a livestream or special smash event like a week before launch to celebrate the release and boom the last newcomer(s) / echoes revealed. It's not usual but Smash is that big so why not !

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I think people are worried because of Smash 4.

A lot of the characters weren't ballot. Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Corrin, Greninja, and Bowser Jr. Megaman, Villager, and Little Mac definitely did well on the ballots though and I do welcome a lot of the characters I mentioned too, but it felt like there was less fan input than right now or during Brawl when it came to the characters.

Ridley and King K Rool were missing. Isaac as well.

Also there the representation was weird. I love Kid Icarus Uprising, but it received so much content while F-Zero, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Wario were pretty barren. Then there was Fire Emblem where a lot of its new content was just from Awakening.

Also a lot of established rules were broken. Final Fantasy had a pretty huge Nintendo precense, but Cloud? Not really. Bayonetta was a 3rd party, and while she is an icon, she wasn't Ryu, Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Snake, and Megaman level.

All of this made it seem like it was a mix of advertising and Sakurai's own personal tastes influencing what the game received. Also it added an element of unpredictability to the roster. For Brawl, all of the choices seemed more or less obvious besides for Snake.

Earth. The cool thing about Golden Sun is an element isn't just one note. Water isn't just water... its mist, fog, mud, snow, ice, etc.

Earth is even more diverse in GS. Rocks/Minerals, Salt, Death/Life, Ground, Sand, Plant Life, controlling animals, etc.
Smash 4 had a clearly different ball game for how the roster was decided. The moment you saw the website say, 'Find out more about them in this game!' for every character, the likes of characters who didn't have a recent game were on thin ice. Heck even Marth and Ike's website profiles directed you to Awakening and not even their own home games.

Ultimate is where the ballot is coming into play and you can see the influence it has on it already. Sakurai a year ago proclaimed how Ridley wouldn't work in Smash and now he's made a full playable character. K. Rool's overwhelming pefeoramnce in the ballot was enough to make him playable. Even Chrom being teased in a final smash got him highlu requested for playability. Every cut veteran has been highly requested to make it back, he brought a few in 4's dlc and the ballot likely made him just bring everyone back, including Snake who was thought to be pretty much done for.

We're only choosing to look at the negatives and not the positives. Like how Metroid and Donkey Kong got their long requested villains in, that K. Rool broke the recency rule, that Isabelle is yet another assist trophy upgrade where in 4, Little Mac was the only one who made the jump.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Tetiro Tetiro We could also have a livestream or special smash event like a week before launch to celebrate the release and boom the last newcomer(s) / echoes revealed. It's not usual but Smash is that big so why not !
The likelihood in December isn't that great sadly. It is a 50% chance. And the last one was in 2015. But if were to happen before Smash it would be on the 5th. That is what is the most likely date (the Wednesday before Smash gets released)

Top Bottom