• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SPEN18

Smash Champion
By the way guys, remember some pages back I said about Golden Sun fan merch? I just got some of my holographic mini standees in and would like to know how would you feel with something similar but all GS related? Right now what I have planned is: Acrylic (charms, keychain or standees), Enamel pins and Magnets.
But I would love extra input. My current acrylics have a mini base to show them that is removable to keep as keychain + they have holographic finish (but it could be either plain clear acrylic, other model of holos such as cracked, glitter and also could make some with metallic accents). Was planning to open pre-orders too so I can figure out how many to make
I think they look dope

Really, though, that's impressive work

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
If you end up doing it and want help, count me in! I have a lot of random facts that would love to have organized too.

By the way guys, remember some pages back I said about Golden Sun fan merch? I just got some of my holographic mini standees in and would like to know how would you feel with something similar but all GS related? Right now what I have planned is: Acrylic (charms, keychain or standees), Enamel pins and Magnets.
But I would love extra input. My current acrylics have a mini base to show them that is removable to keep as keychain + they have holographic finish (but it could be either plain clear acrylic, other model of holos such as cracked, glitter and also could make some with metallic accents). Was planning to open pre-orders too so I can figure out how many to make
These look awesome! Been wanting GS merch for a real long time. I've really wanted to have the GS symbol as a small keychain and a bummer sticker/magnet for my car.
The symbol would have to be like the Dark Dawn one, only without the shade. Or at least the middle half shade part removed. And more like this too:
image.png

Just maybe without the outer (and inner?) circle.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
What do you mean by that? The way you phrased it makes it seems like pushing for Isaac in Smash to be able to revive our franchise is a "Wrong reason".

Because it's not selfish. Smash is a huge franchise that has been able to introduce players to a franchise, so it's not like the goals of Isaac in smash and another Golden Sun aren't completely seperate.

Whether you like to think about it or not, Isaac in smash leads to a new Game. And a new game leads you isaac in smash. (At least that's what people like to believe.)

No matter what, our goal is to get as many people to know about Golden sun. To get this franchise back in the spotlight, and we'll do it by whatever means in nessasary.
I had once assumed that a request of Isaac for smash was the direct equivalent of asking for more official golden sun content. But until the third game in the Returns trilogy is eventually announced, and K rool returns. I don't believe that idea anymore. The cold reality of this situation is that camelot operates off the demands of it's users. And if it see's it's users asking for Isaac in a crossover fighting game, and not for a new RPG, that will naturally and simply not lead to a new RPG. So...in essence if you want a new RPG. Asking for Isaac in smash will not immediately accomplish that. And nintendo fan's will not instantly take interest in the series. In fact, being a xenoblade and shulk supporter during smash 4, I know with first hand experience, than many among those exposed will face Isaac with large resentment. Calling him a "Wasted slot" or "Another worthless anime swordsman" put simply, that goal and ideology was fundamentally flawed from the outset. Our objective now is simply to introduce as many people to the series as possible. And use that support to create significant enough demand for GS4.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I think they look dope

Really, though, that's impressive work
I am so honored, I had never shared my work so publicly and reading this actually means the world, thank you!
These look awesome! Been wanting GS merch for a real long time. I've really wanted to have the GS symbol as a small keychain and a bummer sticker/magnet for my car.
The symbol would have to be like the Dark Dawn one, only without the shade. Or at least the middle half shade part removed. And more like this too:
View attachment 178273
I was going to do this in an enamel pin! But could also do a magnet with the design!

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Well, I went ahead and did it. I may be missing some stuff as I did it all mostly from memory alone, but if you guys have things to add or change, feel free to do so! I’m not very good with google docs, but hopefully this is alright.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18EUiDlsZonX2wiqX-sShYMCg_-AB0QAEiE4_xz89NT0
Wow.....seeing all that information is just....wow.

That trademark information is probably the most curious to me. I mean, 9 times out of 10, trademark renewal means nothing, but that particular information stands out as curious.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Well, I went ahead and did it. I may be missing some stuff as I did it all mostly from memory alone, but if you guys have things to add or change, feel free to do so! I’m not very good with google docs, but hopefully this is alright.

Out of all the characters we have (PC, AT and Spirit) Isaac is the most strange and bizarre of them all. This theory is so crazy you feel delusional to believe it, yet it makes a lot of sense when you take a good look at it all. And even then, I have a feeling that we are going to get some kind of Golden Sun content next year.

And may I remind everyone that Motoi Sakuraba is STILL MIA in the website?!? Of course, there are three outcomes to that:

1) A song he's worked on has yet to be shown off on the site

2) His song is for "Tales of" series (Lloyd)

3) Golden Sun music is being saved.

Most likely the 1st choice is the correct one, but it does make you wonder how the "Composer Theory" is still going strong this late into the cycle of Ultimate.

Edit: I also need to mention that, if it happens, Isaac being both an AT and then a DLC fighter later would be the biggest "Gotcha!" troll move by Sakurai in history. It would be legendary.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
View attachment 178273
Seeing the transcription of the text reminds me, I never found any translation of the glyphs. I only found that someone managed to make it into a windows font, but impossible to find it.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman

Nice, thanks! I'd like to ask/point out a few things though:

- for the trademark renewal, I couldn't find the August one. On the date you specified, what I did find was a trademark for Golden Sun from "Nothing To Weak Inc." for clothes:
https://www.trademarkia.com/golden-sun-88167997.html
- for the trademark renewal (again), how can you tell what was added? You mention phone-related stuff but... here's what I had:
https://www.trademarkia.com/golden-sun-77749719.html
- Rathalos is a boss as well as an assist trophy?! I didn't know that, definitely a good point for us!
- About Isaac's moveset as a trophy, it made me think of this:
https://youtu.be/tkCazOFVuvk?t=116
Isaac can push, pound and... scoop. I guess they decided lift would be better but otherwise that's another "coincidence" to add to the mix. And that kit dates back to early 2017.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717

Just some things to add:

Golden Sun was trademark in Japan with its English name, something which has only been done with new game releases iirc. This should be added.

Also it is 6 unique newcomers not 5.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman

Hey, nice work. I don't have any belief in Isaac's DLC chances (not getting my hopes up again lol) but there are a few things I have to add:
  • Something that I haven't seen anyone mention yet is that Isaac's design has been updated. I'm not just talking about the updated model; he's sporting some kind of leather straps over his shoulders. This is a new asset of his design that he's never had before. It seems weird that they would update his design at all just to add him as an Assist Trophy. It's not a significant change to his design, but it's something to consider.
  • Also, you should point out that Isaac is the only Assist Trophy not introduced with new music.
  • You should back up some of your claims a bit more. For example, you say Ultimate seems rushed, but never mention the smaller development cycle or reused assets.
  • This isn't necessarily more evidence, but adding and citing sources in the document would be nice for people who aren't in the loop, especially for things involving the trademark.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey, nice work. I don't have any belief in Isaac's DLC chances (not getting my hopes up again lol) but there are a few things I have to add:
  • Something that I haven't seen anyone mention yet is that Isaac's design has been updated. I'm not just talking about the updated model; he's sporting some kind of leather straps over his shoulders. This is a new asset of his design that he's never had before. It seems weird that they would update his design at all just to add him as an Assist Trophy. It's not a significant change to his design, but it's something to consider.
  • Also, you should point out that Isaac is the only Assist Trophy not introduced with new music.
  • You should back up some of your claims a bit more. For example, you say Ultimate seems rushed, but never mention the smaller development cycle or reused assets.
  • This isn't necessarily more evidence, but adding and citing sources in the document would be nice for people who aren't in the loop, especially for things involving the trademark.
Ultimate is *kinda* rushed but I just things it's because it was too ambitious. They had to cut back on some things, namely additional characters. And most of the DLC is probably cut characters (hence no Rex).

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Let’s look at this way.

Now that Ridley and K.Rool are in and out of the way, Isaac will now easily become the most requested Nintendo character for Smash of all time.
Unless Waluigi (Who I also support) will become his competition

On a side note, is Golden Sun is still on the Wii U Eshop?
It’d be great for me to find a chance to finally play it and grow my support for Isaac without having to do an emulation or buy a GBA online.
Playing catch up so sorry if this has been answered. But yes the first 2 games are on Eshop

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let’s look at this way.

Now that Ridley and K.Rool are in and out of the way, Isaac will now easily become the most requested Nintendo character for Smash of all time.
Unless Waluigi (Who I also support) will become his competition

On a side note, is Golden Sun is still on the Wii U Eshop?
It’d be great for me to find a chance to finally play it and grow my support for Isaac without having to do an emulation or buy a GBA online.
If anything, he and the Wah will end up being bedlam buddies in terms of support, if Stoic Seraphim's art is any indication.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
You could argue Isabelle isn't fully unique I guess. But yeah, officially it's 6 uniques.

Also, you should point out that Isaac is the only Assist Trophy not introduced with new music.
Shocking if true

adding and citing sources in the document would be nice for people who aren't in the loop, especially for things involving the trademark.
Absolutely

Ultimate is *kinda* rushed but I just things it's because it was too ambitious. They had to cut back on some things, namely additional characters. And most of the DLC is probably cut characters (hence no Rex).
Yeah I think they leaned heavily on the "Everyone is Here" gimmick and, as I feared, it took away from other parts of the game.

----------

In terms of the game being rushed, remember that planning started in December 2015 and so the dev cycle was actually almost 3 yrs. So "shorter dev cycle" isn't really an argument for the game being rushed, but regardless I agree that the game does indeed look rushed.
I saw an ad for the game that was boasting about having new characters and stages, but lol we only got 4 new stages and 5 characters along with a bunch of clones. In general, this game actually has a ton of clones (of course, clones and returning stuff are all fine and dandy, but they aren't a substitute for truly new content). Plus there's a severe lack of singleplayer content outside of the new Classic mode (which is only slightly different than before) and Spirits mode (which is really just a glorified event mode with more complicated Stickers), with presumably few to no minigames like Home Run Contest, Trophy Rush, etc. (lol I played so much of Coin Launcher in Brawl it was probably unhealthy). Lack of Stage Builder is also a shame. A number of models like Wolf, Chrom, and Isaac's AT look like they need polishing, and there are some lazy design choices like giving Young Link Triforce Slash and leaving Chrom in Robin's FS. Most of the newcomers have fairly straightforward moves aside from Inkling, which again isn't a bad thing but could indicate that they weren't going the extra mile with gimmicks and special abilities like they did in Smash 4 (could have hurt Isaac's chances a tiny bit).
The short of it is that they threw all their effort into bringing all the vets and old stages back and rolling all the old singleplayer stuff into one new wacko mode and had barely any time for anything else.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

Excellent write-up, but I have to mention that it's not a trademark renewal, but a brand new trademark, which is even better. The trademark is for "Golden Sun", not the traditional 「黄金の太陽」that's been used in previous Japanese trademarks. The renewal took place in 2017 in America. The reason this new trademark is important is that it lends credence to the theory that Golden Sun will be relaunched as "Golden Sun" worldwide, uniting it under one brand for name recognition.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You could argue Isabelle isn't fully unique I guess. But yeah, officially it's 6 uniques.

Shocking if true

Absolutely

Yeah I think they leaned heavily on the "Everyone is Here" gimmick and, as I feared, it took away from other parts of the game.

----------

In terms of the game being rushed, remember that planning started in December 2015 and so the dev cycle was actually almost 3 yrs. So "shorter dev cycle" isn't really an argument for the game being rushed, but regardless I agree that the game does indeed look rushed.
I saw an ad for the game that was boasting about having new characters and stages, but lol we only got 4 new stages and 5 characters along with a bunch of clones. In general, this game actually has a ton of clones (of course, clones and returning stuff are all fine and dandy, but they aren't a substitute for truly new content). Plus there's a severe lack of singleplayer content outside of the new Classic mode (which is only slightly different than before) and Spirits mode (which is really just a glorified event mode with more complicated Stickers), with presumably few to no minigames like Home Run Contest, Trophy Rush, etc. (lol I played so much of Coin Launcher in Brawl it was probably unhealthy). Lack of Stage Builder is also a shame. A number of models like Wolf, Chrom, and Isaac's AT look like they need polishing, and there are some lazy design choices like giving Young Link Triforce Slash and leaving Chrom in Robin's FS. Most of the newcomers have fairly straightforward moves aside from Inkling, which again isn't a bad thing but could indicate that they weren't going the extra mile with gimmicks and special abilities like they did in Smash 4 (could have hurt Isaac's chances a tiny bit).
The short of it is that they threw all their effort into bringing all the vets and old stages back and rolling all the old singleplayer stuff into one new wacko mode and had barely any time for anything else.
I agree with all of this, but I’m glad that characters don’t have the gimmicks of 4’s newcomers. I appreciate the simplicity.

And I also played Coin Launcher way too much. I can hear the song in my head right now.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
That blank page at the bottom is perfect for this

:awesome:

I'm afraid I won't join you guys up on that hill, nice work on the doc though.
How could I forget? Every crazy theory needs that image!

Just some things to add:

Golden Sun was trademark in Japan with its English name, something which has only been done with new game releases iirc. This should be added.

Am I the only one who constantly forgets about Inkling?

Excellent write-up, but I have to mention that it's not a trademark renewal, but a brand new trademark, which is even better. The trademark is for "Golden Sun", not the traditional 「黄金の太陽」that's been used in previous Japanese trademarks. The renewal took place in 2017 in America. The reason this new trademark is important is that it lends credence to the theory that Golden Sun will be relaunched as "Golden Sun" worldwide, uniting it under one brand for name recognition.
Whoa whoa whoa, really? Wow, I thought it was a renewal this whole time! Holy moly if that's true, I am so much more confident that we're getting something Golden Sun related sometime soon!

Edit: Thinking about it even more, Camelot released Mario Tennis Aces in late June. Since the new trademark for Golden Sun was made in August, that would make total sense if Golden Sun was their next project.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think the point would be moreso that Smash Ultimate is "rushed" relative to how ambitious it is.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How could I forget? Every crazy theory needs that image!

Am I the only one who constantly forgets about Inkling?

Whoa whoa whoa, really? Wow, I thought it was a renewal this whole time! Holy moly if that's true, I am so much more confident that we're getting something Golden Sun related sometime soon!

Edit: Thinking about it even more, Camelot released Mario Tennis Aces in late June. Since the new trademark for Golden Sun was made in August, that would make total sense if Golden Sun was their next project.
I also forget about Inkling. I think it’s the fact that they were announced with the game and didn’t even get a trailer. Or the fact that they were very obvious picks.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

I just remembered another thing. It probably means nothing, but very interesting to take note of.

You mentioned the DLC and Phone stuff in the trademark. Well, remember when they had a preview of the phone app? Guess what photo happened to be in the preview? The Rathalos Picture. First time watching the Direct, that caught my eye the most during that segment, but then I brushed it off until now. Hmm?

Again, probably means nothing, but strange they used it again...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just remembered another thing. It probably means nothing, but very interesting to take note of.

You mentioned the DLC and Phone stuff in the trademark. Well, remember when they had a preview of the phone app? Guess what photo happened to be in the preview? The Rathalos Picture. First time watching the Direct, that caught my eye the most during that segment, but then I brushed it off until now. Hmm?

Again, probably means nothing, but strange they used it again...
Maybe the nod is towards a future game project after all, though nothing so obvious as Luigi's new Poltergust model in the Simon reveal.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I’m glad that characters don’t have the gimmicks of 4’s newcomers. I appreciate the simplicity.
Oh I didn't like the gimmicks in 4 either. That's why I said the simplicity wasn't a bad thing, just that it might point to them being a bit rushed that they kept it simple with most of the new fighters.
To further support this, Inklings were obviously the highest priority of the newcomers, so it makes sense that they got a gimmick (they probably could have gone without the ink gimmick if they really wanted to save time).

Well, remember when they had a preview of the phone app? Guess what photo happened to be in the preview? The Rathalos Picture. First time watching the Direct, that caught my eye the most during that segment, but then I brushed it off until now. Hmm?
Wait, where?! Which Direct was this? I wanna see it

I mean, that's kinda how the Big N has always operated, with the whole "keep everyone on their toes and guessing" type deal.
Yeah and they're actually smart to do that. Things are much more fluid in the early stages of development and a lot more can go wrong, so it's a natural safeguard to not announce stuff when you've just decided on it. Of course, it kinda stinks for us to have to wait longer but I see why they do that.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for you all: how would you feel about a new Golden Sun title... as an Action RPG? I've been thinking about how they could innovate and the idea struck me (dunno if it's a good one though). FF7 was turn-by-turn yet its remake is going to be an Action RPG for instance. Do you think Golden Sun should do the same?

Edit: wow that Rathalos pic is pretty big in that screenshot. Half feels like it wanted to draw the attention. You have videos in there (shouldn't it be the highlight?), yet the picture is the biggest thing on screen.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Wait, where?! Which Direct was this? I wanna see it
At 21:45 in the last Smash Direct, before they started talking about ATs, there was a segment about a phone app and it had pics in it with the Rathalos pic.
image.png

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I have a question for you all: how would you feel about a new Golden Sun title... as an Action RPG? I've been thinking about how they could innovate and the idea struck me (dunno if it's a good one though). FF7 was turn-by-turn yet its remake is going to be an Action RPG for instance. Do you think Golden Sun should do the same?

Edit: wow that Rathalos pic is pretty big in that screenshot. Half feels like it wanted to draw the attention. You have videos in there (shouldn't it be the highlight?), yet the picture is the biggest thing on screen.
This has come up before, and my view on this will never change: no. Not only does Xenoblade take the role of Nintendo's Action-RPG, but I don't really think Golden Sun's model of setting Djinn, using Psynergy and attacks/unleashes translate to ARPGs. Not to mention, I just don't want another Action-RPG - tried Xenoblade 2, didn't enjoy it, don't wanna see Golden Sun go down the same path. I just want a traditional RPG for Nintendo.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I think it's fine as a Turn-Based RPG. It really doesn't need to compete with others that do similar mechanics like Xenoblade. What makes it stand out as a unique Turn-Based is that it's simple, fast paced and straight to the point which I loved about it (especially with the kickass music too) and doesn't bog you down on other things you're doing.

It's why I can't get into RPGs like Xenoblade, Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem for example. They just...make me bored/frustrated. Golden Sun is fine as it is.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
I actually agree with both of you. I must have missed this previous debate, thought it had never been asked. My bad!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I actually agree with both of you. I must have missed this previous debate, thought it had never been asked. My bad!
No worries. I mean, with over 33,000 posts in this thread, it would be hard to look everything up in a matter of minutes.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I know this will generate debate, but given the fact that Sakurai said in the last direct that the 5 Newcomers for DLC will be done from scratch and the rumors I have heard about from Hitagi about a new sword wielding nintendo owned character getting in as dlc, I think Isaac getting promoted is unfortunately not a chance at least for wave 1. Do you guys think Felix or Matthew have a shot now to promote a future game? I am hoping dearly we get a new golden sun game announced in 2019.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I know this will generate debate, but given the fact that Sakurai said in the last direct that the 5 Newcomers for DLC will be done from scratch and the rumors I have heard about from Hitagi about a new sword wielding nintendo owned character getting in as dlc, I think Isaac getting promoted is unfortunately not a chance at least for wave 1. Do you guys think Felix or Matthew have a shot now to promote a future game? I am hoping dearly we get a new golden sun game announced in 2019.
I don't think him saying from scratch changes anything. It is just a saying to say they will have completley unique movesets.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
At 21:45 in the last Smash Direct, before they started talking about ATs, there was a segment about a phone app and it had pics in it with the Rathalos pic.
Wow nice catch! Maybe they just put the Rathalos picture in there because it "looks quite aweseome"......

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
This is silly, but why the freak when I google 'Smash Ultimate Isaac assist trophy' it doesn't even bring up Ultimate's model render? Like the first day of Isaac's assist announcement it was way easier to find in web searches, heck I googled it easily for the 'Delete This' meme. Now I'm getting Smashified Isaac and even the Brawl model more. This makes no sense lol.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Unfortunately this isn't true. They've trademarked Golden Sun in Japan in English several times already. In fact, those trademarks are still active, but they filed a new one for Dark Dawn anyway. They filed "Golden Sun" before Dark Dawn's title was confirmed, then filed "Golden Sun Dark Dawn" later (in English).

Regardless, they do file a new trademark every time instead of renewing an existing one. I don't know if that's just a thing they do for new titles or if that's just Japanese law in general where a trademark lasts X years and you file a new one rather than "renewing" an existing one.

The American Golden Sun renewal was because I believe if a trademark isn't used in X amount of time, you have to verify a renewal at the 5th or 6th anniversary. They renewed it on the 6th. Keep in mind, that's of the registration date. Golden Sun was filed in America in 2009, but it wasn't registered and active until 2011 for whatever reason. Because of this, the 6 year renewal was in 2017.

Another argument people bring up against trademarks in Eternal Darkness.

So, Nintendo America filed for 3 Eternal Darkness trademarks after the first one. The second trademark was to replace the first. The third trademark was filed three years after the second, with -no reason- at all to file a new one. In 2016, they filed Eternal Darkness again, which went live in 2017. Between it being filed and being registered in 2017, the last two active ones (2010 and 2013) were marked as DEAD. Honestly, I think they probably did plan Eternal Darkness a couple of times, but it ended up getting cancelled.

I don't think him saying from scratch changes anything. It is just a saying to say they will have completley unique movesets.
Sakurai says its built "from scratch" / "the ground up" literally all the time. Its not true. They always start with a basis and build off of that. They said every fighter was built "from the ground up" last time, yet all returning characters basically play the same. All DLC characters last time were built off of existing characters, and tbh, I think that's how they do it for every new character in general.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Unfortunately this isn't true. They've trademarked Golden Sun in Japan in English several times already. In fact, those trademarks are still active, but they filed a new one for Dark Dawn anyway. They filed "Golden Sun" before Dark Dawn's title was confirmed, then filed "Golden Sun Dark Dawn" later (in English).
It's not that I don't trust you on this, but I would like to see these trademarks. I spent quite a bit of time researching this stuff and never found a "Golden Sun" trademark in Japan, only 「黄金の太陽」and I want to know if I missed something.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know, after a prolonged time spent on other threads, now I understand why Isaac fans get called ‘the chill ones’.

Top Bottom