• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Golden Sun franchise discussion thread

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
I was asking myself but I don't think there is anything new about those new trademarks at all since the time we discovered them?

Still hoping to see the Sun rising again, but with the time going, man, I don't know if I can believe it to the end.

I mean Live A Live came back from the abyss of being unknown to almost the entire planet and that's cool. But GS should have been showing something about it..and here we are with nothing but hope that someday maybe it'll return. And with the GBA NSO rumor..

We'll see I guess.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Well, you're on the clock if you're wanting to snag them off Virtual Console.
True but considering that my WiiU Cables are all starting to break i rather stick to emulation!
I would buy them if they were on Switch tho!

SPEN18

Smash Lord
True but considering that my WiiU Cables are all starting to break i rather stick to emulation!
I would buy them if they were on Switch tho!
Well, it is best to keep it legal and the purchase does more to show Nintendo the interest in the series.

--

Anyway, GS for Switch online remains fairly likely.

Although personally I much prefer the single-game purchase model of Virtual Console, which unfortunately they may not ever go back to...

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Well, it is best to keep it legal and the purchase does more to show Nintendo the interest in the series.

--

Anyway, GS for Switch online remains fairly likely.

Although personally I much prefer the single-game purchase model of Virtual Console, which unfortunately they may not ever go back to...
I mean i guess i could purchase it and Than play it emulated! just a Question do Nintendo E Shop CArds still work on Wii U?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Well the purchase doesn't make the emulation legal unless the ROM is acquired legally

but yes, the eShop cards should still work, at least in the US but I imagine also in other countries.
That makes me think why tf cant nintendo have Virtual Console on Switch its really ANnoying!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That makes me think why tf cant nintendo have Virtual Console on Switch its really ANnoying!
Because we didn't realize what we had until it was gone. People WANTED Nintendo to ditch the Virtual Console in favor of a subscription service because they didn't wanna pay for old games. But the moment VC was gone, everybody acted like Nintendo committed a crime against humanity.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Because we didn't realize what we had until it was gone. People WANTED Nintendo to ditch the Virtual Console in favor of a subscription service because they didn't wanna pay for old games. But the moment VC was gone, everybody acted like Nintendo committed a crime against humanity.
Well that's because of how slow NSO receives new games compared to Virtual Console. If it got them at a similar rate, and had as many systems as VC had, people would have less issues.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Virtual Console on Switch
Yeah it's unfortunately just not as successful a business model as the subscription service, as much as I dislike the subscription stuff.

People WANTED Nintendo to ditch the Virtual Console in favor of a subscription service
There were many who were like that, but I was never one of them.

--

Not that it would happen, but it would be nice if they provided both options: buying individual retro games for Switch or getting availability as a package deal with the service.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
We recently had the #GoldenSun20 event for The Lost Age. Here's a lot of the cool stuff the Golden Sun fans on Twitter made.🌞

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Smash Lord
And here's some more awesome stuff from the day

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Posting here for to commemorate my 1000th message on this site.

GS was a big reason for me making an account here, and the Ultimate cycle was quite a wild ride for Isaac.

Looking back, there are plenty of things to be glad about, and as a result of everything that happened leading up to base Ultimate, Isaac and GS have gained a lot of respect from the Smash community. These days around the internet, I see way less of people saying GS is not big enough to have a Smash character, and more people are realizing that GS actually compares very favorably to where many other Nintendo series were when they were first added to the roster (in terms of iconicness, popularity, sales, recognizability, and the like).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Posting here for to commemorate my 1000th message on this site.

GS was a big reason for me making an account here, and the Ultimate cycle was quite a wild ride for Isaac.

Looking back, there are plenty of things to be glad about, and as a result of everything that happened leading up to base Ultimate, Isaac and GS have gained a lot of respect from the Smash community. These days around the internet, I see way less of people saying GS is not big enough to have a Smash character, and more people are realizing that GS actually compares very favorably to where many other Nintendo series were when they were first added to the roster (in terms of iconicness, popularity, sales, recognizability, and the like).
You're right about everything here. Whilst it's sad Isaac got overlooked, Golden Sun got a lot of love in Ultimate for an IP that's as good as dead. I held out hope for a while, especially with the Rathalos battle formation Tweet, but alas. Glad that Isaac was confirmed to be a AT very early so we where put out of our misery, unlike say the Geno fan base.

I do think Ultimate was the best bet for Isaac though. I doubt Smash is gonna have such a huge roster again soon for the next couple of games, and there's still nothing new under the sun in terms of a new entry for Golden Sun, and frankly am losing hope for it. We'll get the GBA games on Switch, and that's that, and honestly... I guess that's fine too. The GBA games where the best entries anyway, and it'll feel good to play the games again after such a long time, so I really won't complain. It's better than nothing, or a remake that's half-assed.

I doubt Camelot is ever gonna be up for the task anyway. I mean, in all honesty, why would they if they consistently can make Mario games? Mario is the biggest brand in gaming, it's a huge honor, and they seem to love making these games. The classic RPG game remakes seem to be entirely covered by Square, so unless Nintendo pays them to make a remake of Golden Sun, am not really seeing it as a possibility for the Switch anymore. And again, why would they if they can remake their own huge library of classic RPGs?

We ought to face reality on the matter of Golden Sun, whilst the first games where very ambitious it seems Camelot was ordered to make such titles purely cause Nintendo lost access to previous big IPs as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and it's no wonder Golden Sun has some nods to these games. Sure the unique puzzle fragments are a major unique selling point, and the world and lore of Weyard was well above average in quality, but after this all the games sort of fell flat. I honestly doubt Golden Sun would be able to compete with the bigger RPG IPs accessible to Nintendo in the modern age. And honestly, it's fine like this, it happens, and am glad to be able to play the first two games whenever the GBA app launches for the Switch.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but the stars don't seem to align for another rise of Golden Sun. I'll remember the games fondly, but currently the only IP am actually worried about falling off is Donkey Kong, which is a series that has no reason to be in this position logically. Sadly, it's all too clear for me why Golden Sun is in this position right now, and probably forever will be...

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Glad that Isaac was confirmed to be a AT very early so we where put out of our misery, unlike say the Geno fan base.
Well, actually I was glad he wasn't revealed to be an AT until the last Direct before base was released; that way all the visibility from speculation really helped his long-term chances. But the first few DLC characters made it very clear that Isaac is more of a base game addition than a DLC one (bar a new GS to promote). So in that sense the band-aid was ripped off early in the DLC cycle, but personally I wasn't taking the AT as a hard disconfirmation for DLC; he was just always gonna be considered unlikely for DLC regardless of the AT.

I do think Ultimate was the best bet for Isaac though.
Without EiH and with a normal crop of newcomers, yeah, he would have had a fantastic chance even with the current state of the series. But with a very limited number of unique newcomers in base and all the vets to bring back, he unfortunately wasn't as high in perceived popularity as Ridley or K. Rool (even though at least with K. Rool I think some other characters like Isaac, Dixie, etc. were just as worthy in terms of other merits).

I doubt Smash is gonna have such a huge roster again soon for the next couple of games, and there's still nothing new under the sun in terms of a new entry for Golden Sun, and frankly am losing hope for it. We'll get the GBA games on Switch, and that's that, and honestly... I guess that's fine too. The GBA games where the best entries anyway, and it'll feel good to play the games again after such a long time, so I really won't complain.
Well, a lot of things could end up happening in terms of the roster size, but as I've said in the general speculation thread, I don't think they'd try to sell us anything with a smaller roster than, like, base 4.
As for a new GS, these last however many years of the Switch's lifecycle might be the best chance of it happening, with Golf/Tennis out of the way and no confirmation of what Camelot's next project is going to be. If we get to the next console without GS, however, then things get more precarious as Camelot will likely be motivated to a get another fresh batch of sports games out. Hopefully they made enough on the Switch iterations that they could take a bigger risk with an RPG.
The GBA games on NSO will help the visibility of the series quite a lot, just as the VC releases used to do, though for me personally it doesn't do much as I am content to play them on my Wii U (and am more of a home gamer these days, which makes the portability less of a draw).

I doubt Camelot is ever gonna be up for the task anyway. I mean, in all honesty, why would they if they consistently can make Mario games? Mario is the biggest brand in gaming, it's a huge honor, and they seem to love making these games. The classic RPG game remakes seem to be entirely covered by Square, so unless Nintendo pays them to make a remake of Golden Sun, am not really seeing it as a possibility for the Switch anymore. And again, why would they if they can remake their own huge library of classic RPGs?
Fair points. It is questionable whether Camelot would ever have the resources to justify a big JRPG over the Mario-branding sports titles (although this is why several people have suggested having another studio work with Camelot on a hypothetical new GS). I also am in the camp thinking Square doing GS is pretty outlandish as a possibility. The main things that can help, though, are them having a strong urge to make a full-fledged RPG (which they might have, based on various interview comments that have popped up over the years) and continued shows of the demand.

But it is also important to consider, yeah, what to do if the series is indeed just done. In such a case where, for example, Camelot straight up says they won't ever make another GS, I'd still be asking for Isaac in Smash. Thankfully, Isaac's longstanding history of being on the Smash speculating map has legitimized him as a fan pick/candidate, so a lot of the work has already been done. For now, however, no such statement from Camelot or Nintendo is out there and so IMO the best course of action for GS fans would be to keep pushing both for a new game and for further Smash representation.

the first games where very ambitious it seems Camelot was ordered to make such titles purely cause Nintendo lost access to previous big IPs as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and it's no wonder Golden Sun has some nods to these games
Somewhat of an inaccuracy there. Camelot had a history with RPGs through Shining Force prior to GS, and their passion for the project was one of the reasons the game got so big it had to be split into two! I don't think the original conception for GS just boils down to Nintendo ordering Camelot to help them replace FF and DQ support.

I honestly doubt Golden Sun would be able to compete with the bigger RPG IPs accessible to Nintendo in the modern age
Also a fair point except in the relatively unlikely scenario where Nintendo is able to get another, bigger studio to help Camelot make GS. Idk if GS necessarily has to compete with the likes of FF and DQ, though, and I don't think Xenoblade levels of success are completely unattainable even with a smaller budget than the Xenoblade games typically have.

honestly, it's fine like this, it happens, and am glad to be able to play the first two games whenever the GBA app launches for the Switch.
It is a relatively unpopular opinion among GS fans to just be content with the series being finished. But to an extent I agree that if the series is just done, then I could be okay with that, though as I said I would still like for GS to be properly recognized for what it did with a full PC in Smash and would continue pushing for that.

the only IP am actually worried about falling off is Donkey Kong
Well, hopefully all the year-plus-long rumors of a new DK game end up amounting to something real. But it has been a while and you're right that DK is worth more than late-lifecycle filler. A big new DK game is the sort of thing, however, that could help keep the Switch afloat for a few years longer, as it has more potential casual draw than most other titles Nintendo could release at this juncture; in that sense bigger series like DK helping the Switch last longer could indirectly give GS a longer window.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
The official Camelot website was recently updated and they inserted Isaac and the elemental djinn all over the site (also the highest quality version of these djinn artworks we've gotten too)! https://www.camelot.co.jp/wp/
1658161701336.png

1658161726615.png
1658161720210.png

1658161709242.png
1658161783095.png

Also there's some other cool things I found is they're now hiring designers and game planners while it previously was only just programmers!
1658162025676.png

And now for their representative works they added Tennis Aces and Super Rush and replaced TLA with Dark Dawn which is pretty interesting
1658162126440.png

Attachments

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The official Camelot website was recently updated and they inserted Isaac and the elemental djinn all over the site (also the highest quality version of these djinn artworks we've gotten too)! https://www.camelot.co.jp/wp/
View attachment 356825
View attachment 356828 View attachment 356827
View attachment 356826 View attachment 356830
Also there's some other cool things I found is they're now hiring designers and game planners while it previously was only just programmers!
View attachment 356831
And now for their representative works they added Tennis Aces and Super Rush and replaced TLA with Dark Dawn which is pretty interesting
View attachment 356832
Hm, interesting. It would seem something is happening, though exactly what is hard to tell ATM...

SPEN18

Smash Lord
View attachment 356825
View attachment 356828 View attachment 356827
View attachment 356826 View attachment 356830
View attachment 356831
View attachment 356832
Awesome find!

Just for future reference, do we know the exact date these changes were made and/or have a source verifying it?

Also, they very easily could have excluded Dark Dawn from the representative work section, given that the game is over 10 years old. Hopefully a strong indication that they still view themselves as RPG makers (or, more specifically, Golden Sun makers).

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I know GS speculation has taken a hit since the Golf announcement, but here in the presumed latter half of the Switch's lifetime, with Aces and Golf already done, is a pretty good window for GS to potentially return if that is the interest Camelot and/or Nintendo (as I mentioned in my earlier, longer post).

I know a lot of people wanted GS to come back before the end of the Switch's lifetime, but (1) the Switch might still even have a few years left in it and (2) if GS has to earn being more of a front-end console seller, then that's fine as long as the fans show up for it if/when the time comes.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
So no GS from the Direct. While it was far from an expectation, I was thinking it at least had a nonzero chance to show up. On the bright side, though, I don't think there was anything else from Camelot shown.

Smash Lord
Check out this fanmade trailer for Isaac in PMEX REMIX:

Was just about to post this, PMEX Remix is doing amazing work in general. That trailer from King Bob was so well done it gave me chills.

Feels really great to see Project M Isaac being given this much love after the PM team disbanded and never got to finish him back in 2015.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double post, but for anybody interested in Death Battle, one of the show's composers did a commissioned track for a hypothetical matchup between Saturos and Magus from Chrono Trigger:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Yo long time no see.

Like always i put a coin in my GS Hope Box but meh..i'm kinda confident we won't see him today.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Looks like Camelot's next project is still unrevealed. My guess is that if the Switch has enough juice left in it for it to be worth Camelot's effort to get another release out, then Golden Sun has a strong chance. If the Switch is already on its way out, then Camelot might already be working on something for the next hardware. Let's take it easy and see how things go in the next Direct.

Great for NSO subscribers to eventually get to experience the original GS on Switch. I don't think this disconfirms a brand new GS on Switch like some have been suggesting, to be clear. If anything it makes GS4 more likely than a GS1 or GS1+2 remaster, again if that.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Looks like Camelot's next project is still unrevealed. My guess is that if the Switch has enough juice left in it for it to be worth Camelot's effort to get another release out, then Golden Sun has a strong chance. If the Switch is already on its way out, then Camelot might already be working on something for the next hardware. Let's take it easy and see how things go in the next Direct.

Great for NSO subscribers to eventually get to experience the original GS on Switch. I don't think this disconfirms a brand new GS on Switch like some have been suggesting, to be clear. If anything it makes GS4 more likely than a GS1 or GS1+2 remaster, again if that.
I'm impressed by your optimism.

Smash Lord

Yeah I'm on the same train right now, Camelot might prefer to get to the next installment quicker for all we know. A Dark Dawn remaster would be an interesting prospect and I'd welcome it to make the entire series playable on Switch before the fourth game even though the fanbase would be split about it due to it's varying reputation across many Golden Sun fans

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm on the same train right now, Camelot might prefer to get to the next installment quicker for all we know. A Dark Dawn remaster would be an interesting prospect and I'd welcome it to make the entire series playable on Switch before the fourth game even though the fanbase would be split about it due to it's varying reputation across many Golden Sun fans
Tbh my gut says that Camelot, after waiting so long to get the opportunity to do anything with GS, would prefer to jump straight to a sequel and just make it followable for people who haven't played the other three. Though if it was somehow a DD remaster, it wouldn't be bad if they do a good job with it; the things people don't like about that game are pretty fixable IMO.
I don't recall seeing TLA announced for NSO? It could still come later.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, they only showed the first Golden Sun among the quick preview. Being it's one full story, we're pretty likely getting the second later on.

Dark Dawn getting a remaster or whatever is another story.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

I don't want to catastrophize, but if Nintendo's next thing releases by next year, it's not inconceivable they may just start the Tennis/Golf loop again and release one of those maybe in 2024.

I certainly hope not. This next Camelot game could go either way, system-wise. But whatever it is, if it releases for the Switch after the new system is out, I worry about how well it will perform. If it's Mario something, that wouldn't really be a big deal, Mario will always continue. If it's Golden Sun... that'd be really disadvantageous timing for a series that... isn't inherently an assured success. And has already had its fair share of bad timing.

Ideally it would be Golden Sun, and release within the successor's launch window, giving it that boost (which GS1 also probably benefitted from). That would still give them time for Tennis and Golf within that system's lifespan. And there's probably already going to be both another Mario Kart and high-profile Mario platformer (probably from the Odyssey team) coming close to launch on that thing (especially since they won't have a launch Zelda) given both those teams have clearly been working on something for a while, so yet another Mario wouldn't exactly be needed.

Top Bottom