• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Golden Sun franchise discussion thread

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
With the historical Isaac for Smash Ultimate thread about to close I think it'd be nice if we can have this thread as a way to keep the speculation going about whatever could lead to a future installment in the Golden Sun series and also just a great way to have somewhere to talk about this awesome franchise on this website. So gather forth adepts as we continue the talk about this beloved now 20 year old JRPG franchise and create more memories going forward.

You can also check on the latest developments, events and fanart through the Isaac's Allied Adepts Twitter account and r/GoldenSun
1634397723105.png

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's hoping the sun rises again sooner than later on a criminally overlooked series of Nintendo's. It's a testament to the series and the fanbase to have endured this far on little more than the dedication and hope, and yet still have a voice.

Much admiration for those who aren't going to give up until the games return and the series receives the attention it warrants, whether inside of Smash or not.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As I stated in the Isaac thread a good couple of months back, with the return of Advance Wars, I can very easily picture a return of Golden Sun happening. Both had similar big fan bases demand their return... And the Switch seems to gather strongly for both remakes, and RPGs, and remakes of RPGs. I think it's highly likely we'll see a remake of both the GBA titles at the very least.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Howdy new Isaac thread.

And yeah, I really do hope we see Golden Sun arise at some point, ideally while it could still be relevant for Smash. Seeing stuff like Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars come back give me some faith, but we will see I suppose.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Howdy new Isaac thread.

And yeah, I really do hope we see Golden Sun arise at some point, ideally while it could still be relevant for Smash. Seeing stuff like Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars come back give me some faith, but we will see I suppose.
Exactly this! If these games can come back after years of absence, Golden Sun definitely has a great chance to come back too. Especially now that Camelot has Tennis and Golf out of the way. They most likely been working on their new project by now.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Hello everyone I didn't had the chance to say in the newcomer thread that it has been years of fun with all of you. Been here since Smash 4 Era and the lack of GS content back day was really hard. Then I went in the ultimate thread and was here for the rathalos Pic (remember I pointed that Link could be Isaac since he is silent protagonist, Marth is Like Garet with the "Fire" Emblem) and of course the girnch leak. All that to say even if I didn't believed in Isaac getting in I will still support GS and this thread is perfect to continue talking with all of you.

As many of you said I'm sure we will get something new with GS. Hopefully this will come sooner than later. Anyway count me in for being here ^^

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i just wanted to let you know you can vote a character for smash crusade
Having Isaac would be great there
I actually discovered Isaac file back in the old version of Smash crusade file mugs pictures which I had to look into alongside many others but I don’t know if Isaac is still under development since that version was older than 2015

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Hey ! Last week, I went into a shop and found Golden Sun : The Lost Age ! Now I have all the - alas so small - collection, and I will finally know what happens after this goddamn cliffhanger from the first game !

But before, I have to finish Resident Evil Zero and Dragon Quest XI...

Smash Lord

Hm, can't help but wonder...
Yeah Golden Sun is the most likely pick for their next project, they've expressed wanting to make RPGs again as recently as 2017 and the success of Metroid Dread and existence of Advance Wars Reboot Camp, plus the success of JRPGs on Switch does help it's prospects.
Emily Rogers did say this at the start of the month so you guys can ponder on what the future will be

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yeah Golden Sun is the most likely pick for their next project, they've expressed wanting to make RPGs again as recently as 2017 and the success of Metroid Dread and existence of Advance Wars Reboot Camp, plus the success of JRPGs on Switch does help it's prospects.
Emily Rogers did say this at the start of the month so you guys can ponder on what the future will be
Well the inference here seems to be that despite Nintendo still caring about GS, they're keeping Camelot on Mario sports games since they're lucrative. Emily appears to be implying a new dev would have to take the reins of GS, which would mean that Camelot's next project isn't likely to be that.

If you want to look at the parallels to Dread and AW, new devs are leading those games as opposed to those who originally handled them.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well the inference here seems to be that despite Nintendo still caring about GS, they're keeping Camelot on Mario sports games since they're lucrative. Emily appears to be implying a new dev would have to take the reins of GS, which would mean that Camelot's next project isn't likely to be that.

If you want to look at the parallels to Dread and AW, new devs are leading those games as opposed to those who originally handled them.
So then the question becomes who would be the ones to do the honors..?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
So then the question becomes who would be the ones to do the honors..?
After Wayforward doing AW, who knows.

I just hope, should the time come, it's a dev with a strong enough track record. Nintendo's oversight helps but GS can't afford any more setbacks.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Interesting comments there if true. One would think that some kind of arrangement would be workable where another company works on GS but the Takahashis have some creative control. In such a scenario I wouldn't be too concerned about who is doing most of the dev work.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
If Live A Live managed to come back, even being a real niche game
Well, it's a Square game so not really the same situation. We're in somewhat uncharted waters here where both Golf and Tennis have already been made by Camelot for the most current hardware, and that hardware might still have a few good years left, even. We'll have to wait and see what Camelot's next project is going to be.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Well, it's a Square game so not really the same situation. We're in somewhat uncharted waters here where both Golf and Tennis have already been made by Camelot for the most current hardware, and that hardware might still have a few good years left, even. We'll have to wait and see what Camelot's next project is going to be.
Yes I know it's à Square Game but à game that never released out of Japan and a very niche game jus comes out in a few months. This and the comeback of Chrono Cross too makes more and more evidence that GS will come back one day. I'm sure of it

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If Live A Live managed to come back, even being a real niche game, then there is no f... way that Golden Sun won't come back.
It was hard enough to get Metroid back, and we haven't had a new DK game in like eight years... Nintendo isn't the best company to be equating to others.

Smash Lord
Well at the very least we know there is a market for lesser known RPGs getting remakes since we've gotten quiet a few in the last couple of years and Nintendo is on a streak with bringing back dormant IPs with the reveal of Mario Strikers in this direct. In my eyes Golden Sun returning is just a matter of time

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Well at the very least we know there is a market for lesser known RPGs getting remakes since we've gotten quiet a few in the last couple of years and Nintendo is on a streak with bringing back dormant IPs with the reveal of Mario Strikers in this direct. In my eyes Golden Sun returning is just a matter of time
Square has certainly been putting in work on the Switch. Almost like the preceding four gens didn't exist.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
It was hard enough to get Metroid back, and we haven't had a new DK game in like eight years... Nintendo isn't the best company to be equating to others.
I get that and agree. But if Nintendo brings back Advance Wars after quite the same time he went missing like GS, Front Mission came back also, The World Ends With You got a sequel after +10 years more of silence. Then we have Live A Live releasing for the first time worldwide and with a remake after almost 30 years !!

I mean ok Nintendo keeps Camelot working essentially in Mario Sports games. But with all these rpgs and even others like Klonoa making his come back too. There is definitely no way one day Golden Sun doesn't receive the same treatment.

Be it next year, next console whatever.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, Clemps did a review of the first Golden Sun, so I figured I'd share it. Note that there's a good bit of swearing and adult humor, so I'm just gonna post a link to the video, just to be safe.

Smash Lord
Our friends at VGO were nominated for their awesome Golden Sun 20th anniversary tribute they released in August, do them a solid and give them a vote (it's Prologue Book One)

Here it is if you haven't seen it already, it's fantastic stuff!
(EDIT- THEY WON!!!)

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
So SMTV has passed a million units in five months, making it the best-selling in the series, up from the previous best of, I believe, 600k. That's always great to hear when a franchise exceeds itself.

But it's such a bummer to see other, often nicher or unproven JRPGs find success due to the Switch effect and have Nintendo ostensibly just sitting on their hands with GS. There's such a thriving ecosystem for JRPGs on Switch, if there was to be any time to roll the dice on the IP again, it'd be in these few years.

Unfortunate. :/

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So SMTV has passed a million units in five months, making it the best-selling in the series, up from the previous best of, I believe, 600k. That's always great to hear when a franchise exceeds itself.

But it's such a bummer to see other, often nicher or unproven JRPGs find success due to the Switch effect and have Nintendo ostensibly just sitting on their hands with GS. There's such a thriving ecosystem for JRPGs on Switch, if there was to be any time to roll the dice on the IP again, it'd be in these few years.

Unfortunate. :/
Well it might be getting some good news
...it's better than nothing I guess

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Well it might be getting some good news
...it's better than nothing I guess
Yeah, I'm sure GS will be part of the selection when GBA arrives on the NSO (and GS2 will follow sometime after). I just wonder when it actually will touch down, because I'm sure this has been Nintendo's intention for a while, so I don't think this leak necessarily reflects an imminent drop.

Hopefully September, when they typically add new systems to the service, brings GS. Not holding my breath for sooner.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Well I'll be happy if it's true ( and it seems to be) but also a bit pissed also that it's only the virtual console...with all we have seen and everything GS just finally being a NSO game...meh.. like someone said above, seeing the switch being one of the best consoles to sell Jrpgs a lot. GS returning only this way would be sad as f.. Well we'll see.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
Well it's cool to finally see signs that Golden Sun is on NSO but it just puts us back in the same position we were in the Wii U era in that regard. On the bright side the larger Nintendo audience can now give the game a try which is a plus in getting more people into the series. Regardless the main goal should still be getting a full fledged modern installment in the series to really count as a true revival.

Also I'm doing another #GoldenSun20 for the 20th anniversary of the Lost Age which will take place on June 28th. Of course the usual, get some tributes ready and share it around 🌞

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If anything, the GBA app launching on Switch with Golden Sun means that if we get another Golden Sun, it might not even be a remake but a sequel to Dark Dawn.

If only...

Jibunzo

Smash Rookie
After many moons, I came back... to see the speculation threads were all closed!

But, it does my heart good to see this topic here. Supporting Isaac in Smash since Brawl's announcement in 2005... and it shan't stop.

Today feels like a Sakuraba-listening kind of day.

Top Bottom