• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Golden Sun franchise discussion thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

SPEN18

Smash Champion
GS1+2 operate and control so amazingly smoothly, that and being like the pinnacle of sprite-based graphics make it age so well. It also helps a lot that anyone who enjoys other Nintendo games like Zelda or Pokemon will have an easy time picking it up. I hope everyone who tries it out for the first time through this rerelease has a blast with it.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I really love they went the extra effort to make such a cool looking trailer, really goes to show how much love the marketing team whipping it up has for the games:love:

If you guys didn't know the Japanese press release mentioned some cool things the NSO service will allow us to do

Nintendo Japanese Press Release for Golden Sun 1+2 on NSO

For one it'll allow us to emulate the link cable method in terms of transferring data from TBS to TLA negating the need to write the long passwords!
1705190423968.png
1705190440530.png

This press release also confirmed that the overlooked PvP battle mode will now be possible to play online with friends thanks to NSO's online multiplayer capabilities.

I can only imagine the crazy things the community will do with multiplayer Golden Sun battles when it's available 🌞
1705190588260.png
1705190605359.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This press release also confirmed that the overlooked PvP battle mode will now be possible to play online with friends thanks to NSO's online multiplayer capabilities.
Haven't been able to play GB/GBA Online due to my banned Switch, but have any other games' MP functions worked on it before?

Smash Lord
1705296711392.png

It's been a while but I'm officially bringing back Golden Sunday to celebrate the NSO release and to generally create hype for it from Wednesday when it drops through to the weekend.
(I screenshotted the tweet because Smashboard's tweet embed feature has been broken lately)

Haven't been able to play GB/GBA Online due to my banned Switch, but have any other games' MP functions worked on it before?
Yeah online play is a feature available for pretty much all the games that have some multiplayer functionality.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gonna get the Online + thing purely for Golden Sun. This was much needed! Shame this is probably all we're getting, but I'll take it.

Smash Lord
Happy #GoldenSunday everyone, it's been great seeing all the love people have for Golden Sun finally releasing on NSO

How do other NSO releases compare?
In terms of views the YouTube upload is currently at 370k views and the Nintendo of America upload on Twitter has 3.9M views with 29k likes.

A lot of NSO trailers for more popular games on Nintendo's Twitter didn't get this much attention in comparison
1705533791049.png
1705533595175.png
1705533631383.png
1705533819796.png
1705533851042.png
1705533981767.png
1705534033876.png
1705534094126.png
1705534147047.png

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hope Nintendo will remake Golden Sun 1+2 for the next Nintendo console like they did for Advance Wars 1+2 for Switch. They deserve better than being on an online subscription service.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Hope Nintendo will remake Golden Sun 1+2 for the next Nintendo console like they did for Advance Wars 1+2 for Switch. They deserve better than being on an online subscription service.
Indeed. I gotta say that I don't really share the enthusiasm that I seem to perceive around this re-release: it's still better than nothing, yes, but I suppose that if they had plans for a remake or a sequel, they wouldn't have done that. So I'm actually kinda bummed.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Indeed. I gotta say that I don't really share the enthusiasm that I seem to perceive around this re-release: it's still better than nothing, yes, but I suppose that if they had plans for a remake or a sequel, they wouldn't have done that. So I'm actually kinda bummed.
I don't think these rereleases are going to affect anything regarding the next console, unless it launches with all of these previously drip-fed legacy games already on there. For example we've had multiple Switch remakes for games that were available on the Wii U VC (though I admit this does ignore the smaller Wii U installbase). Though I'm not quite sure how they will plan out the transition of NSO subscriptions to the next console; it's possible we could see the NSO games available on the new system straightaway. But even in that case, I don't think a GS1+2 rerelease would stop a potential GS4, even if it were to rule out a remake.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
So I played the original Golden Sun a few years ago on an emulator and never really got a chance to play the second, so I was left wanting more and never got that. I bought Dark Dawn when it came out, but got maybe a few hours in and stopped playing. But with the releases of Golden Sun and Golden Sun The Lost Age on the NSO, I said to myself I was going through the whole series and I'm thrilled to say I'm so glad I did. I had so much fun playing all of them and I've just been wanting to gush about how much fun they were. The puzzles and combat were both huge highlights and I truly felt like they were a crossover of Legend of Zelda's puzzle mechanics with Final Fantasy's combat/story building (both of these games were heavy hitters for me growing up). Even Dark Dawn I thought was fantastic, despite not being highly regarded. Sure, maybe there are some flaws, but as a whole great game.

So despite always rooting for Isaac, I now have my own attachment. I'm officially on the Isaac for Smash train, and my god give us Golden Sun 4. I'm 32 now, and I haven't felt this way for a new RPG in a long time. But these past three weeks I've been riding the Golden Sun high. It was a fantastic experience.

Top Bottom