• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goku, the Martial Arts Master monkey around!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well, I still support the little monkey. Even if he'd just be a troll addition from Sakurai. Honestly, no matter what Smash game it is, I see Goku being added as a surprise unlockable. Although, considering Sakurai's recent statement about possibly revealing all characters before launch... Well...

Oh, yeah! I almost forgot that Donbe and Hikari could easily fill that kind of role. Still though, I hope Chao makes SOME sort of appearance alongside Goku. I don't think she should be left out.
I did put in my old moveset that Chao would be a part of his victory animation I think, but there definitely could be other ways to implement her into his character.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I'm afraid this has a shot at being the last time I post on this very thread so I'll sum up every thought I can possible and with respect.

1. Bringing in Kakarot (DB Goku) would only be celebrating the manga and anime. His games are popular for the very reason of recreating moments from the manga and anime or see new fights that would never be on source material. Were this a video game by origin franchise, we wouldn't have this point brought up and I wouldn't have objections. If the Smash team's vision is to celebrate video games strictly, Kakarot doesn't make sense. If this was a celebration of Japan as a whole, this point is moot and I wouldn't object to this idea. Problem is we don't know the Smash devs' vision for Smash at times. That's one point of speculation, because we want to know.

1.5. Let's stipulate (or a special agreement to make a point) that Smash is indeed video game focused. If I were hypothetically a game developer who just started allowing guest properties to show up in my IPs, I would personally announce my intention for said guest properties without ambiguity. Keeping with the hypothetical, let's say I wanted any video game by origin character from Capcom. I would not consider Cloud Strife, Batman, or even Mario and I would ignore these requests. I would listen to those who'd give me video game by origin characters owned by Capcom like Street Fighter's Ryu, Dante from Devil May Cry, or even go for something obscure. I could in this situation have some sympathy towards the Smash devs who get requests for things running counter to their vision in spite this point being a fallacy of author appeal. I believed it's justified by the creator of the work having the major say in what comes into a work being a factor. Breaking from hypothetical, this point merely an addition to point 1.

2. I believe it was stated that getting characters (both guest and non-guest characters) was really difficult this time around. Licensing and budgeting does play play a factor in relation to characters (as well as the the rest of the game). It's theoretically much cheaper to go for a guest character with only 1 IP holder entity than say 4-6 companies that own a guest character IP. This does take in the account of voice acting and other financial stresses involved. Kakarot is has Bird Studios(Toriyama's company) and Shueisha for the source IP rights while the Toei Animation holds the anime rights to DB. Bandai Namco currently has the video game IP rights to DB. The financial costs would be massive for DB and has a shot at draining the budget. I personally would avoid DB for this reason.

3. This is merely a collection of small, quick points. No character deserves anything in Smash or needs to be in, but they are only wanted. Ultimately, this is a video game and the best way to make a statement about this is to either get the game or don't. Treating popularity as the only factor is a mistake and there's more to Smash characters than popularity. There's moveset potential, possible uniqueness, demand, and reasonable limitations that comes with mere popularity. I don't hate the DB franchise, but I really like it.

4. This thread is dedicated to Yuyuki Goku, a Nintendo character I have some interest in. I'd like to see how Smash would use this character if he were to get in. I'd like to see more discussion on Yuyuki Goku himself and what he could bring to the table, here. Interactions, costumes, trivia, and moveseet ideas. Sadly, I only see arguments get repeated and it's not really fun for me on this thread.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm afraid this has a shot at being the last time I post on this very thread so I'll sum up every thought I can possible and with respect.

4. This thread is dedicated to Yuyuki Goku, a Nintendo character I have some interest in. I'd like to see how Smash would use this character if he were to get in. I'd like to see more discussion on Yuyuki Goku himself and what he could bring to the table, here. Interactions, costumes, trivia, and moveseet ideas. Sadly, I only see arguments get repeated and it's not really fun for me on this thread.
Sucks that you probably won't go on this thread anymore because I definitely have more ideas for what Smash can do with Goku's inclusion (like a reference to how he appeared in a Kirby game at one point).

When I first started the thread during SSB4's development (or when the ballot was announced, don't remember), I mainly started it because I thought it was funny how Nintendo had their own version of Goku that they could put into Smash. As I've matured and researched the actual character of Yuyuki's Goku, I've grown fond of this Goku and would be genuinely excited if he were put into the game's roster. Plus I really want to see Goku meet the DK Crew. Not many people tend to focus on obscure characters which is a shame and probably why this thread won't last long. I'm all for bigger names getting in like Dixie and Isaac, but I still want to be shocked in the same way I was when I first saw Mr. Game and Watch in Smash.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Sucks that you probably won't go on this thread anymore because I definitely have more ideas for what Smash can do with Goku's inclusion (like a reference to how he appeared in a Kirby game at one point).

When I first started the thread during SSB4's development (or when the ballot was announced, don't remember), I mainly started it because I thought it was funny how Nintendo had their own version of Goku that they could put into Smash. As I've matured and researched the actual character of Yuyuki's Goku, I've grown fond of this Goku and would be genuinely excited if he were put into the game's roster. Plus I really want to see Goku meet the DK Crew. Not many people tend to focus on obscure characters which is a shame and probably why this thread won't last long. I'm all for bigger names getting in like Dixie and Isaac, but I still want to be shocked in the same way I was when I first saw Mr. Game and Watch in Smash.
The 4th point is the driving factor of me potentially leaving the thread. I've tolerated the Kakarot talks only some of times, but when the same points get brought up repeatedly, I find it just getting out of hand. Doesn't really matter who gets it brought up. This is the thread for Yuyuki Goku, not Kakarot.

I want to avoid the petty reasons and focus on the good reasons for bringing in the Yuyuki Goku. But, that's getting challenging at this point in regards to keeping the good reasons the only ones for both in and out of this thread.

Normally, I would not be mad on the boards, here. For this case, I had to say something about the thread's state.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really hope he gets his nimbus cloud mount as that really makes the character.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I support, would love to see the reactions

And Sakurai is a troll, he might include this Goku just to troll the people who may have voted for Dragon ball Goku

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, this thread has seen much less activity than I would have expected, considering who it is we are talking about. Anyway, I do support this version of Goku because:
A. I want to see the world burn, and
B. I think he has a lot of potential as a staff user.
Also, I can't help but feel like his Final Smash would be him summoning the other characters and using the Mallet of Light to knock out anyone close enough to him.

NukeA6

Smash Master
This is not the Goku I was hoping I'd find. Still, a Sun Wukong character has got to be good especially if he hit someone across the screen with the pole.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've been wondering... what would you all say to the idea of Goku's granddaughter (NO, NOT PAN) being added to Smash?

Just like how SonSon in MvC is the granddaughter of Capcom's original SonSon character and all, Goku's hypothetical granddaughter (or any relative he happened to have, for that matter) would be in Smash rather than him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've been wondering... what would you all say to the idea of Goku's granddaughter (NO, NOT PAN) being added to Smash?

Just like how SonSon in MvC is the granddaughter of Capcom's original SonSon character and all, Goku's hypothetical granddaughter (or any relative he happened to have, for that matter) would be in Smash rather than him.
I... don’t see a reason to do that. Smash doesn’t really do original characters, and I don’t see Sakurai aping character concepts from Capcom.

toonito

Smash Ace
I support, would love to see the reactions

And Sakurai is a troll, he might include this Goku just to troll the people who may have voted for Dragon ball Goku
this is my reasoning as well especially after seeing dedede in k rool's trailer and the reactions to piranha plant lol

supports yuyuki goku for smash

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys! Been a while, huh? Do you all think someone like Goku has a shot at being one of the additional DLC characters past the Fighter's Pass? I doubt it, but Sakurai done some crazy stuff before...

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Trollish reasons aside, I'm actually really fond of this funky little monkey fella. I think it'd be funny and he'd actually be a cool, substantial character. Staff wielders are seldom seen, and he's one of Nintendo's antiques. It'd be cool to see some more FDS love.

The way I see it, this is how you incite rage with style.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, my Lord... I'd LOVE to see this happen. Bonus points if they can get Masako Nozawa (Goku's JP voice actress) to voice Nintendo's Goku.
I mean, we already have Ryo Horikawa in here, so. :ultfalcon:

Now that there is more DLC approved, he could show up at any point, not necessarily this pass.

The only downside is (besides Nintendo currently being unsure whether text-based adventure games would sell well abroad in this age, and the whole "must have had their game released abroad" rule (yes, I know about Fire Emblem in Melee, but at least that has an entire series to fall back on to mitigate the risk)), didn't one need to point out the series a character is from, in the ballot?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Trollish reasons aside, I'm actually really fond of this funky little monkey fella. I think it'd be funny and he'd actually be a cool, substantial character. Staff wielders are seldom seen, and he's one of Nintendo's antiques. It'd be cool to see some more FDS love.

The way I see it, this is how you incite rage with style.
Oh, I TOTALLY agree with you. Like, revealing THIS Goku to be playable in Smash Ultimate? Now THIS how you tastefully troll, Sakurai. Also, you're right about Smash still not having a staff fighter. Wow, that sounds a tad weird when I think about it now.

I mean, we already have Ryo Horikawa in here, so. :ultfalcon:

Now that there is more DLC approved, he could show up at any point, not necessarily this pass.

The only downside is (besides Nintendo currently being unsure whether text-based adventure games would sell well abroad in this age, and the whole "must have had their game released abroad" rule (yes, I know about Fire Emblem in Melee, but at least that has an entire series to fall back on to mitigate the risk)), didn't one need to point out the series a character is from, in the ballot?
Oh, right. The Prince of all Saiyans joined Smash Bros. before Goku (You just know he'll be lording that over Goku's head for years to come).

Still, I do hope Sakurai broadens his horizons a bit more for Smash Ultimate's upcoming post-Fighter's Pass DLC. That being said, I'd hope said decisions includes the likes of Goku (and Chao), Takamaru, Ayumi Tachibana, Donbe and Hikari, etc.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, right. The Prince of all Saiyans joined Smash Bros. before Goku (You just know he'll be lording that over Goku's head for years to come).

Still, I do hope Sakurai broadens his horizons a bit more for Smash Ultimate's upcoming post-Fighter's Pass DLC. That being said, I'd hope said decisions includes the likes of Goku (and Chao), Takamaru, Ayumi Tachibana, Donbe and Hikari, etc.
I figure that Japan-only picks won't truly be felt until the well of known worldwide characters gets drier over time. On the plus side, Famicom Detective Club is getting a remake, so the first step would be a campaign to bring that over and prompt an unexpected arrival from Ayumi Tachibana.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Top Bottom