• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to my first tournament. Things to practice and/or look out for?

JercyPackson

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I am going to Wombo Combo: 10 Year Anniversary!
I have been watching competitive Melee for about 4 years and this is the first tournament that has been anywhere close to me, so I am really excited! With that being said, I am probably going to get destroyed, since all I have been doing to practice is fight 20XX bots.
What do you guys think I should look out for while I am there? (People, activities, etc.) I just really hope that I won't be late to anything.
P.S. I am a Marth main

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I think my response might be late but ill take a crack at it anyway...

How much tech skill can you perform? You can get away with being fast, knowledgeable, and smart, but it wont get you far without tech skill.

Once you're at the tournament, make sure you play lots of friendlies with people. Dont be afraid to ask for tips. If the other person isn't helpful, just find another group to jump in with.

20GXHelios

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
FLU#991
Switch FC
SW-6062-7149-7325
play as many friendlies as possible, against as many people as possible. know how to stage strike and know other tournament etiquette. expect that you'll drown in pools, but try your best not to. have fun and make friends

ehnkr2beboh

Smash Rookie
I know i'm late but I have some tips for future tournaments.

1. Watch out for IC's. They are all over low level play and can really mess you off a punish.

2. If you have only played bots, play friendlies to get used to playing vs humans.

3. Look up Marth guides for match-ups. Get good spacing and juggles too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom