• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goals of the Smashlab and Specific Projects. Wip

Veril

Frame Savant
Our base goal is simple: find, compile, analyze, and make available every single numerical piece of information about this game. Given the immense scope and complexity of this aim, we will need to subdivide research into individual projects and sub-projects. We will work primarily on brawl, but also (on a voluntary basis) on a stable brawl mod (B+ is stable until the end of September, BBrawl is stable iirc, B- is... lol, P:M is unreleased), melee, or SSB. For now I'm going to focus on vBrawl until that is fairly well organized and on track.

I. Character Data Repository:

The frame data currently available, at best is accurate but nowhere near complete and at worst is riddled with errors. PSA and frame advance provide us with the tools to fairly easily verify all the non-derived qualities of a move. Now complete data is not necessary for the vast majority of players, but it will be for us. For every frame of a move we need to know what is happening, what are the exact properties of the hitboxes, is there special iasa, how can it be canceled, what is the momentum effect by frame, as well as the obvious stuff like startup and First actionable frame.

There are definitely extraneous bits of information that we use. A good example would be "duration" which is just the first actionable frame +1. The old smashlab did a pretty poor job of implementing standardized terminology and actually improving research methods. Seeing as I've had to create a whole bunch of new terms, and how at times the wrong choice of term was made (boost smash never replaced DACUS, people still call it a Dacus and its annoying to have to remember both). The standardized format for frame data that people have claimed was created by the early smashlab is trash. Fortunately I've been working with data, with help from some knowledgeable people (mostly early on) but almost entirely on my own for the last year. So I'll type up a prototype for the ideal data formats (lab vs. public which doesn't have to include anywhere near as much info and should be streamlined).

A lot of data can be derived mathematically. Some things we simply are not at the stage where this is possible though. You can find advantage on block pretty easily, but the only on hit advantage that could be calculated simply would be a non-tumble inducing hit with only bkb. That's just hitstun mod * bkb value. Easy if you ignore ∂W bkb, kbg, angle, damage, character, techable frames based on DI or SDI, etc etc etc

Finding even the complete raw advantage formula for a non-tumble inducing hit is fairly time consuming, and it will only be possible to map out the character variance for these once several moves of the sort have been completely evaluated. For it to be accurate and relevant you have to manually confirm the hitstun growth points across the cast from 0-300% (ideally, I've never done that for B+ cause its not realistic for most moves, but it is useful from a research perspective). This requires a ton of tests in frame advance but there are a lot of tricks to do it faster. If any of you have seen my throw data threads, those generally only tested Adv at 0, unless it was a character I really was interested in (6.0 lucario up-throw omg what a nightmare). If I didn't find easier ways to do this than PSA and counting frames exclusively I would have had to do somewhere around 2000 tests in frame advance. Thankfully I had the formula for how throws function framewise (given to me by Magus when I was starting out, <3 Magus fo evah). So I did a ton of it with excell and only had to do a few hundred tests, which were a lot faster than the ones the rest of smashboards has been doing cause of the timer-frame conversion chart I made. Kaylo and Hotgarbage know about that as do several others I've spoken to. (gotta remember to post that here)

Whoa tangent. Anyway we need to find the adv of every move on every character between 0-300% at all degrees of staleness. Really we have to do this for a large group of moves and then produce a formula. Not some janky crap based on like launch speed. Knockback constants, damage, angle (esp something like the sakurai angle), and character physics are the variables to consider when determining hitstun. We also need the trip % at all % and this needs to actually take into account the sakurai angle. One of the mistakes I've seen is people claiming there is a 0% trip rate on Snake's f-tilt. Wrong. It has the sakurai angle, which can induce trips at sub-tumble %.

For every move, on every frame, we have to know exactly what is going on. The first phase should be collecting the player research that appears good and fact-checking it and mining PSA (easy and Blind is giving me them all converted to text so I'm gonna post them in here for easy access). Then we should work on moves that have static knockback and find the advantage on those. From there move on to throws (which work differently from other attacks and I'm DEFINITELY the expert on at this point so I'll be running that subproject) and finding the exact % all moves will induce tumble on all characters. That's important obv cause you can't DI prior to tumble.

tbc...

from the staffer shack:

Projects:

1. Collect, analyze and distribute frame data (for vBrawl, Melee, B+, BBrawl and B-, PM once its released) in a form that is complete and comprehensive as well as in an alternate player-friendly simplified format. We want an unparalleled level of detail, notably frame by frame hitbox images with corresponding hitbox information for every move, more detailed block adv and on-hit advantages.
2. Codify new formula and improve upon existing ones. This requires an overhaul of methodology but I've got a ton of support so it'll be ok.
3. Spread awareness of how to do smash research most effectively to improve the data mining ability of the community.
4. Redo the "official terminology" so that it actually reflects reality (ex. Dacus is used more often than boost smash, yet the smashlab decided to remove DACUS as the official term >.<)
5. Explore alternate means of presenting data. More on this when I've got pretty pictures ;p
6. Expand upon and fully explore what DMG started with his Planking info project. This could be huge and really significant if done right, and it absolutely requires a team.
7. Stage evaluation and testing to help inform TOs and the sbr/mlg: some of the stage hackers I've worked with (notably Frozen Popo) are just so far ahead of the curve compared to most of the community its INSANE.
8. Guides. Better guides.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
There's one thing I'd really like added as a current project, but lord knows I've got no hacking experience so I can't manage it.

Hurtbox code, similar to the hitbox code, except displays where character can be hit. Quite frankly, from my melee experience, I don't believe the character's visible body is their entire hurtbox, and it's needed for effective frame analysis.

I'd probably be able to help out lots with character specific, B+, and some 64. And I'd like to help with stuff that involves hacking, but I haven't used PSA for months now. I'm focusing on getting more familiar with BrawlBox though.

The Cape

Smash Master
Well Veril I am here as per your request and at your behest. This shall be the only smash thing I see myself doing anymore and takes a second priority to my course here in AZ (and then active duty).

Just tell me what you need and I can find out what I need (got my Wii with me).

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Here as requested!~

I'm perfectly happy to do anything related to ICs, and perhaps some MK/Marth; atm I'm in the middle of full-blown frame data for ICs. I wouldn't mind doing Melee Falco/Peach stuff if any is even needed and some 64, but I'll be significantly less bored doing ICs-Brawl haha. I also have the tools for video recording and hacking, so hopefully that's helpful. :3

Hurtbox code, similar to the hitbox code, except displays where character can be hit. Quite frankly, from my melee experience, I don't believe the character's visible body is their entire hurtbox, and it's needed for effective frame analysis.
Also, this. I, too, am very much interested in getting this solved.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hurtbox data would be ridiculously helpful.

As for the areas of testing I'll be the most focused on (since we're sharing :p), it'll mainly be Brawl Pika/Zelda. I'm supposed to be getting a Dazzle soon, so hopefully I'll be able to record within a few weeks.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I also have a dazzle on the way. Hopefully it'll be helpful for some of my research.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Me and shanus got to talking about hurtboxes code. There is nothing defined in fighter.pac (a file that controls everything related to a character on-screen) that controls what happens when a character is hurt. (Even shanus explains because of this, crouch canceling and jab resets for Project: M were difficult to code)

I wish there was a hurtbox code, but because of Brawl using the Havok engine and Melee using one that is coded from scratch, they also use different ways of recognizing hurtboxes and hitboxes (hence hitboxes in Brawl being static spherical-shaped). Simply put? There is no way to have Melee-esque hurtboxes show. None of the other coders even know where hurtbox-related information is, and with a lot of them gone, I doubt we'll see it.

It is possible it may be bone-specific based on the model... I'll use Marth's Wait1 (idle) animation as an example:

The conclusion shanus and me reached was that the bones of any character may also define the hurtbox -- but getting the size of it is another thing. (Since you can make certain bones invincible as well in PSA) Interestingly enough, and this also may be a possible answer, is a "OuchM" bone...though I can't see it in the model previewer in Brawlbox. Hmm...

Veril

Frame Savant
My assumption was that hurtboxes were grafted to the bones, as they contract and expand with various moves in a way that strongly suggests this (ZSS up-air hurtbox compression for example). There might be no easy code-based way to establish it, in which case there was an idea I had quite a while back involving the glancing blow mechanic.

Although, wouldn't it be a bit difficult to test from enough angles, directions, and elevations to get an accurate hurtbox map? And then there's the size of the hitbox that's being used. Say there's a small "chink" in a character's hurtbox, a small depression, not unlike the area between ROB's head and shoulder box, and the size of the hitbox interacts with it in a way that it only hits the areas around the opening said depression. Or would that be neglible?

Veril

Frame Savant
FLUDD might work.

That thing is a freaking godsend for testing inv frames and such. Reminds me I need to get the FLUDD frame breakdown formatted for use with input maps.

T-block

B2B TST
Is there a code out there that adjusts Training mode knockback to correspond with standard multiplayer play? That'd probably be the easiest way to test things that require percentages to be set, no?

Eh, I don't lknow of a code like that. But then again I'm far behind on the latest codes. I'd love that little hack though.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Is there a code out there that adjusts Training mode knockback to correspond with standard multiplayer play? That'd probably be the easiest way to test things that require percentages to be set, no?
You mean like stale moves in training?

T-block

B2B TST
No, although that might be useful too.

There's slightly less knockback in training mode, isn't there? That's why we don't test stuff like KO percents in training mode normally. Just wondering if there's a code to fix that.

Veril

Frame Savant
Training mode is garbage. Don't test anything but KO% in it.

Using training mode to test frame data is noobish from a research perspective. If training mode had a timer it would be infinitely better, but it doesn't, and not having a match timer = not possible to do any large scale testing. Also hacks... use them. Love them. There are so many useful things you can do with manipulating the mechanics.

I always do frame data testing with the no-tripping and no-stale moves codes active at the very least (unless I'm specifically looking at staled or fresh bonus move data or observing trip effects and momentum). Often I'll use visible hitbubbles.

No, although that might be useful too.

There's slightly less knockback in training mode, isn't there?
No "fresh" bonus in training.

Again, training mode sucks.

T-block

B2B TST
I was only talking about KO percents, and possibly chain grab percents - things where setting the dummy's percents in training mode would be useful.

So I guess I'm asking if there's a code that puts in this "fresh" bonus for Training mode. If there were, would it then be the best option to test KO percents, or are there other differences I'm unaware of?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Alternatively, how about some way of setting the percents while in VS mode?

Do we have memory addresses for player damage, so that we could at least do this with a usb gecko? (I've actually wondered about this for a while, so much I could do with that info.)

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
True, it'd be so much less tedious and more precise if we could set it during a game though. I dunno, doing it this way seemed more straightforward to me than fixing Training mode's problems.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Handicap only goes up by 10s though.

.......Unless there's a code that changes that. (Wouldn't know -- like I said, I'm way behind on hacks.)

Veril

Frame Savant
Rocketpsi is right. Don't use training mode. Use the no stale moves code or set move staling to only occur until a set point. Use infinite stamina PT code as needed. If you need to test KO% use training mode to establish the % without the fresh bonus, and then retest in a match. There are so many ways to get the exact amount of damage. I mean we are all frame data experts here, its not hard to figure out how to do x amount of damage when you know all move damage... and you can and should use handicap unless your working on a set with handicap = buffer (in which case use training mode for KO% since there's no fresh bonus in any of those sets).

You should also be using frame advance to test KO% with DI (Quarter circle SDI and optimal DI on the last frame of hitlag, perfect momentum cancelling).

Step it up!

You can even use the B- stale moves code which ONLY has the fresh bonus and doesn't have any other move staling.

Unrestricted handicap values (ie not just by 10% increments) would be really sweet.

Soooo I want to post on that google docs page but can't. Adumbrodeus really really should let me have access to that ;p

Veriloquy@gmail.com

Okay, so, after losing my previous SD card with all my codes on it, I recently remembered I had backed it all up on a micro SD. However, this summer I want to focus exclusively on vBrawl stuff for ROB, Toon Link, and Zamus. So I'm looking for all the codes that would be useful. So far I've got unrestricted control editing, frame advance, and no stale moves. Are there any others I'm missing? :V

Veril

Frame Savant
no tripping
default settings modifier
unlimited and infinite length replays
file replacement code
visible hitbubble .pacs

you should get those.

vBrawl? You make me sad.

With this and the Z-button code (*COUGHCOUGH*), I could conquer the world!
I managed to get throw data for every character in B+, across several sets without the fixed z-button. No Johns... but I wish I had this code as much or moreso than just about anyone. I'm sorry I can't make Yeroc not be completely indisposed by his girlfriend ("sarcasm on the internet"), and I can't code this myself.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Smashlab is for vBrawl stuff, go back to WBR and smashmods.com for you smash mods >:U

anyway, you should get on AIM more often too.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Errr, no. That isn't the case. The smashlab is focused primarily but not exclusively on vBrawl.
Really? I was under the impression it was. My bad.

Eat a ****.

The wbr and the B+ forums here are awful. Thus why I stopped posting in them several months ago.
:< I'd rather not eat one.
and I also listed Smashmods in there too.

Veril

Frame Savant
You were under the impression that the former leader of the B+ project would completely ignore mods in a forum devoted to smash mechanics and data? lol... seriously!? I'll definitely be posting B- and B+ data threads in here along with vBrawl data (like the jump data document I uploaded)

The "go back to" part annoyed me a lot. I want none of yo' sass!

Well, if the Great Veril god of the Frames so wishes it, I could do B+ stuff too. I have like three micro SDs onto which I could save various codesets. :V

The Cape

Smash Master
Veril and I are both Brawl+ leaders in the past and we both left.

So whats something good to test while still drunk from the night before?

Veril

Frame Savant
You now have ownership, you're welcome.

I've been wanting to talk to you and was planning on getting your email and transferring control then, but we haven't had a chance.
I tried to call you. Do you have a new number. I got static and fail.

Veril and I are both Brawl+ leaders in the past and we both left.
I didn't leave so much as stopped working 20 hours a week on it. Also I will not be the public face of that project. I'd rather stick my **** in a blender (only Cape and Blind really understand). I got sucked back in to being super active for a while when Blind lost his internet connection. The backroom on smashmods is pretty great atm, but I have bigger fish to fry now and prefer working with Cape to just about anyone else in regards to modding.

if the Great Veril god of the Frames so wishes it
;p

but also <3

The Cape

Smash Master
I have my own opinions on it. The product is fairly good, but the people you are making it for and the people you are making it with tend to be very stressful. This coming from an Army Officer too >.>

Top Bottom