• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goals for Mario in 2011

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Mario's metagame hasn't really seen much progress for the year or so that I've been involved in the tournament scene. He's rarely represented at tournaments, and when he is, it's often by players who are inexperienced and as low tier as Mario is. That's just a fact.

Now, with that in mind, here are the goals we should strive for in 2011:

1. Improve as players:
    We must need to strive first to improve as Smashers, not as Mario mains. This is a mistake I feel like I made coming into the scene a year ago. Instead of trying to learn the game as a whole, I focused on Mario and only Mario, and it's gotten me nowhere.

First, it's important to be familiar with the entire cast. Mario is a BAD character. I came into the scene a year behind in the metagame, trying to play catch-up with one of the worst characters in the game, without picking up a secondary or even experimenting with the rest of the cast. And then I wonder why I never do better than 1-2 in bracket. Knowing how each character feels--actually playing that character--gives much greater insight into the matchup. It's a no-brainer really, but it took me a year to realize this.

Secondly, and more importantly, playing smart is imperative. Good spacing, zoning, and mix-ups are what wins matches. With Mario it's more difficult, because he doesn't really have many options, period. It's important to be creative, and condition our opponent and faking him/her out. Don't go on auto-pilot. Don't approach with bair, any player sees that coming from a mile away. Don't spam retreating nair/dair to ssfsmash. Don't throw out attacks arbitrarily. Don't even move if you don't have a reason to. Mix it up. The most successful Marios (and the most successful Smashers) are the ones who have a good understanding of the game in general and who don't fall into auto-pilot during matches. I mean really, those are the basics of the game. But, speaking for myself, I don't have a good grasp of the basics, and I don't think other Marios do either.

2. Attend more tournaments: Seriously. I think I can count on one hand the number of active offline Mario players. Wifi doesn't count, sorry. We need to commit to attending tournaments on a monthly basis. Mario's metagame is never going to evolve if it's not tested against other characters, and we as players will never improve without being tested by other players. Simple as that.

Something I'd also like to add: At this point, I don't think people need to worry about going all-Mario. Mario gets no rep as it is. Seeing his face in a results thread, even if it was beside MK, would be a lot better than him being absent entirely. Heck, go all MK and just whip Mario out of your pocket for Diddy or Fox or another even MU. One step at a time.

3. Meet up at large tournies: Now wouldn't this be cool? I've only met a fraction of you guys IRL, and it would go a long way towards improving the metagame or at least the community if we could all get together at a national tourney or something. We've got Pound and Clash of Titans coming up. Any others we should keep in mind?

That's all I've got. Sorry, a lot of this is just rambling. A lot of it too is just stuff that applies to me personally, but I figured a lot of other people here could relate so I thought I'd share.

Anything you wanna see in 2011?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Coming from the perspective of someone who has invested a lot of time in low tier characters, I don't think Mario's difficulty is a matter of him lacking options except in his worst matchups. In most of the cases where I see Mario mains doing poorly at zoning and spacing strategies, it's just a fault of the player in general for not really understanding the applications of Mario's attacks.

It's what separates the good Mario users from the bad ones. I strongly believe there is a standard consistent playstyle different from the one most players use that would improve the vast majority of Mario users if they implemented it. When I video critique most Mario players these days, I'm usually repeating the same tips over and over again on ways to just generally make better, more rewarding, and safer choices in everything.

So yeah, playing smarter is imperative, but to me it's largely an issue of proper move management that a lot of low level players don't have a good grasp of.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I still say we have to get Mario popularized before we do anything. Like push for Low-Tier Tourneys, make more combo videos or something to attract more people to his potential. Mario's Metagame isn't going to evolve with only 5 or so people playing him.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I think #1 covers so much of what we need to do as both Mario players and players in general. Anything you can do to get experience and work on spacing, etc, you should do. Talk to top/high level players that have been around in the scene. If you know a MU you're not sure about, talk to your fellow mains, opposing character mains or other people's mains. Even if it's not exactly what fits for your character, you're likely to find information that you can make fit to your playstyle.

My biggest thing is that I need to stop autopiloting. Mario can't do it, Sheik can't do it. That's what I'm working on for 2011.

Oh yeah, even if you don't plan to compete and you have some free time --- GO TO TOURNAMENTS. Play friendlies before and after, when people do MMs: Play against better players. Do a MM or two by yourself. Pull a player aside and ask questions. Every little bit helps.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
1) Get first in a local (with realistic turnout) low tier tourney.
2) Get first in a local (with realistic turnout) singles tourney.
3) Get first on Quebec rankings.
4) Get first in an MLG tournament.
5) Win MLG Dallas, become regarded as best in the world.
6) Travel to Mars and beat them at Smash Bros.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Getting better as players overall is the big one. To attract new players we need to show that when Mario's used properly he can actually place pretty well in tournies and be a decent character instead of people just thinking "Mario sucks, *insert character name here* da bess". I don't see many Mario's attending a lot of tourneys as well which thats already been pointed out.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
For 2011

I'll work on lowering my aggresiveness and try to boost my connection with spiking and... ahh all that stuff..

And yes need more Mario Players,
Awsome

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Better reading, mindgaming, and learning player habits.

That, and tourney attendance are what I need to work on in 2011...

Edit: In general though? I just think we need to improve as players. Everything else naturally comes with that.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Maybe I could go to more than like... 4 or 5 tournaments. :/ I improve pretty steadily when I actually play semi-consistently. I have no idea how much of my ability with this game still remains...

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea definately we gotta hit up more tournaments, tournament results have a huge impact in helping boost awareness of Mario.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
This thread should also be like a personal New Year's thread. My personal goals...

-Clean up my Guide
-Post some more videos
-Attend a regional/national
-Don't suck

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Winning a low tier tournament is much easier said than done. If it's a relatively small tournament then I don't see there being too much difficulty. If it's a larger tournament like a regional it can be very hard. I have two tourneys coming up on my winter break and then Pound 5. Assuming day 1 is doubles (which I really hope it is), I gotta play a lot of friendlies that day to keep me on top.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
I just need to step my game, personally. I need to log a LOT more hours into this game to understand more how it works, freeing me up to think more effectively. In tournament matches there's still to much for me to think about, and I just get bogged down. Might have to turn to wifi (ugh).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I still say we have to get Mario popularized before we do anything. Like push for Low-Tier Tourneys, make more combo videos or something to attract more people to his potential. Mario's Metagame isn't going to evolve with only 5 or so people playing him.
Heh, I actually disagree with this. Mario has a CRIPPLING flaw (IMO) that I don't think many have noticed, and I'd much rather keep it that way. (Hence why I am not saying what it is. I feel the same about it as I do about some of the stuff Ganon mains found in the last year. They find it, go "OH ****!" then try really hard not to let anyone else know about something that makes a bad character worse.)

Imma straight out say it, everybody should follow this goal:

Goal for 2011 - Don't suck.
That is my one and only goal now. I failed all 2010, but hey, maybe the new year will bring changes.

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
My first goal is to become more active on the Mario boards, instead of just lurking all the time (*looks at join date vs post count*).

Secondly, I would like to travel to an out of state tournament at least once. I have been attending tournaments regularly since the release of Brawl and mostly have only been to local tournaments here in Orlando. In fact, the farthest I've traveled for a tournament is one hour. Florida is pretty beast and I'm always the only Mario in every tourney I go to. It's very difficult to win here.

Lastly, prove Mario's worth.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Specifically, I want to go at least 3-2 in a bracket this year.
I wanna try and do this too. I thought it was in my grasp at VC8 against Dark Peach. We had very close games 1 and 2 and then he destroyed me game 3. Had no idea what to do against him of BF. I was 2-2 that day though. I've won 3 times at Apex pools if that counts.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Better reading, mindgaming, and learning player habits.

That, and tourney attendance are what I need to work on in 2011...

Edit: In general though? I just think we need to improve as players. Everything else naturally comes with that.
^ Everything matador said plus more.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I don't know if you guys have been following my low tier + lowest mid iter project, but the top 3 of each character are up.

If you want to make yourself (more) known as a top Mario main you'll want to outperform KirinBlaze, Xero and/or Rko.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I don't know if you guys have been following my low tier + lowest mid iter project, but the top 3 of each character are up.

If you want to make yourself (more) known as a top Mario main you'll want to outperform KirinBlaze, Xero and/or Rko.
Are those Mario's specific? I know Kirin goes Link and I think Xero uses MK.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Are those Mario's specific? I know Kirin goes Link and I think Xero uses MK.
Yes, Kirin's points are split bwetween Link and Mario. The points Xero has are from tournaments where he only played Mario, or so the results thread told me.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Daaang, Kirin's top for Link AND Mario :)

I decided that my goal for this year will be to take a game off of ThatGuy in a Mario Ditto, if he quits before that then I'll try to get just as good!

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Jesus guys, quit focusing on dittos, they don't mean sh*t! Focus instead on performing as well in a tournament as another Mario.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Jesus guys, quit focusing on dittos, they don't mean sh*t! Focus instead on performing as well in a tournament as another Mario.
But...me has to learn to ditto. Boss goes to every tourney I go to and he likes to play mario against other Mario's.

Top Bottom