• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Global Smasher Compendium (STICKY PLZ)

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
UPDATE!!!!!!: This **** has been down for ages.

UPDATE!: The Global Smasher Compendium server change is complete! The GSCv002b.kml file will no longer receive auto updates! In order to continue receiving updates on your GSC please download the NEW VERSION at the links below.

PC DOWNLOADS:
--With Google Earth: http://files.filefront.com/GSCv003bpczip/;7052099;;/fileinfo.html
--Without: http://files.filefront.com/GSCv003bzip/;7051890;;/fileinfo.html

MAC DOWNLOADS:
--With Google Earth: http://files.filefront.com/GSCv003bmaczip/;7052045;;/fileinfo.html
--Without: http://files.filefront.com/GSCv003bmzip/;7051932;;/fileinfo.html

NOTE: Google Earth is REQUIRED to use the GSC. ( if u dont know what Google Earth is then u prolly dont have it)

UPDATE!: For all info on the GSC as well as download links go HERE: http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/GSC

UPDATE:

Download: Global Smasher Compendium version 0.02b+Google Earth (zip) WINDOWS XP/2000

Download: Global Smasher Compendium version 0.02b+Google Earth (zip) MAC OSX 10.3.9

NEW VERSION!

Download 1: Global Smasher Compendium version 0.02b <--IF YOU ALREADY HAVE GOOGLE EARTH

Remember to READ THE 'READ ME' FILE!

WARNING: BEFORE OPENNING THE NEW VERSION!---DELETE ALL FILES NAMED: GSCv001b, SSBMpreview, and SSBMalpha. (if you dont have these files then u cant delete them)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The Global Smasher Compendium(GSC) beta is here!

Download 1: Global Smasher Compendium version 0.01b+Google Earth

Download 2: Global Smasher Compendium version 0.01b

Download 2 Mirror: Global Smasher Compendium version 0.01b (zip)

READ THE 'READ ME!" FILE.

If you want to be added to this please refer to the 'READ ME!' file.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

W.J

Smash Ace
This map is amazing, i had seen it and it is truly incredible, using google earth to work, for those of you who dont use or are unable to use google earth there is still www.frappr.com/smash but this is the way to go, unless of course you dont want to give your exact location out for people to stalk you =O

StealthYoshi

Smash Cadet
Aim?

I checked it out, and it is awesome. I wish there was some way for members to include an AIM handle if they wish to do so in the Google Earth version, so that they may be contacted instead of someone showing up on their doorstep and being chased off by their relatives.

For now, until members get their AIMs (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, etc) in there and while the Frappr version has significantly more people, I'm going to be using both in tandem.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
AIM and MSN are features I would like to add to future versions, however it will take a lot of work to get thwe AIM and MSN names for everyone already on there, so you can expect it in the future, but not the next version.

Also, I'm putting up a mirror link to the DL without Google Earth.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I don't understand why it is intimidating to people, EdreesesPieces, but I do realize that it is in fact. That is why I bundled the files together here for download as opposed to forcing everyone to go to another website to DL the program. I am trying to make it easy for everyone. I get no profit out of doing this, it is for smash and for smashers. My only aim is to please.

StealthYoshi

Smash Cadet
Start now...

I think its worth the download, and the control and the smoothness of the whole navigation just FEELS cool lol.

The good thing about Frappr is there's so many people on it. The bad thing about Frappr is also, that there's so many people on it. Its getting laggy. With over 400 people now it takes my computer a while (while at MAX CPU mind you) to load the basic set of 100 markers that it shows by default. If you try to click anything during that loading time, you're gonna end up zoomed in on a missile bunker in Russia.

ALSO, another big problem; people might be instantly turned off when they look from the default zoom view of the USA (or their respective country) and see absolutely noone on their area. The fact is, there most likely are lots of people in your area, BUT Frappr, to save most people with less than 3.6Ghz EE CPUs from waiting forever for loading, ONLY shows 100 random markers out of the total, which is now approaching 500. Eahc person needs to zoom well in to their area to get a good look at their local competition.

As for Google Earth, to make adding messanger contact info easier in the future, you should start now by making it optional to include such info when someone sends new data to you anyway. That way you only have to get info from the old people, but the new ones who join will already have it in there. Less people to "go back and fix" when you actually get around to it.

When I join, I'll send you my messanger contact info by default.

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
downloading now.

I hope there are a few smashers around me. I found one just a town over on frappr! I havent played him yet, but I hope I will soon.

Ontopic: I hope this will make some people who cannot go to tournaments often to get some fresh competition!

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Hey, dont worry, you're doing a good job and we all appreciate it (for those who use it it will help a great deal) - I was only offering what I think was (a little too blunt) of the situation :D

StealthYoshi

Smash Cadet
I'm In

OK, I sent in my info, along with contact info and some misc details. Hopefully enough people will post here (until it is stickied) to keep this high on the thread list so people will actually know about it and join!

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I just recounted. I have 170 ppl on this thing...ill put up the next update once i get 10 more ppl.....europe is filling out a bit...where are all u canadians and asians tho? and who is mexican?

does africa play smash?

Spread the word plz^_^

chinesahh

Smash Lord
woooooow. this owns. only one question; will there be patches to renew the map?

KiraYamato

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else have problems with google earth freezing their computer? It seems that randomly when I use it my entire comp just freezes.

StealthYoshi

Smash Cadet
bornfidelity.com said:
im not adding because im afraid of hatemail.

LOL xD
When Simna incorporates comtact info into this, I'm pretty sure it will still be OPTIONAL (it should be, anyway). You can sign up with no contact info if you want, although it will almost not matter because noone can contact you to smash anyway :dizzy: at least post an AIM.

One other idea. Simna, does Google earth have the ability to open KMZ folders from a http or other online location? If so, you could host one central file that all clients can connect to. Updates will be easier, since you dont have to announce each one and have everyone DL to be up to date; each time Google Earth starts it would check for a newer version of the GSC KMZ. The bandwidth usage wouldnt be too horrible, seeing as we dont have millions of people connecting like most major websites, and the client would only download if the current KMZ file has a more recent time stamp than the one last downloaded.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
StealthYoshi said:
One other idea. Simna, does Google earth have the ability to open KMZ folders from a http or other online location? If so, you could host one central file that all clients can connect to. Updates will be easier, since you dont have to announce each one and have everyone DL to be up to date; each time Google Earth starts it would check for a newer version of the GSC KMZ. The bandwidth usage wouldnt be too horrible, seeing as we dont have millions of people connecting like most major websites, and the client would only download if the current KMZ file has a more recent time stamp than the one last downloaded.
I did some playing around with this, and YES, Google Earth can open KMZ files from an http connection. All you need to do is type the HTTP address into the Open File dialog (for an example, try typing http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~nterrell/GSCv001b.kmz into the dialog). The program is smart enough to connect an HTTP stream to the target server and download the file automagically. With proper web host configuration, you can even have users click a link to a KMZ file and Google Earth will automatically open it. I wonder if there's a commandline switch to specify a KMZ file to open immediately... that would be an ideal solution.

EDIT: now we're getting somewhere. Using Network Links, we can set up Google Earth to download a remote file over an HTTP connection at certain intervals. Example:

1. Open Google Earth. First clear out your existing Smash data by right-clicking My Places and deletings its content. Then go to the Add menu and select Network Link.
2. Name the link SSBM, and type "http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~nterrell/GSC/GSCmaster.kmz" as the Location.
3. Check Refresh Parameters, change the Time-Based list to Periodically, and set the Hours ticker to 24.
4. Hit OK. You should now have the SSBM data.
5. Your client will automatically update your local data every 24 hours.

Now, that's a bit of work for non-technical people to do, but fortunately we can just provide a (much smaller) .KMZ file that sets up the Network Link for anyone who opens it. To see this in action, delete the Network Link we just made and then download and open this file: http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~nterrell/GSC/SSBM.kml. Your network link will be automatically set up to download from the GSCmaster.kmz file!

This, IMO, would be the best way to handle this new compendium:
  • Simna continues to update his master GE file with data sent from forum users.
  • Every X days, Simna uploads his master file to a certain web server (I can volunteer to host the file).
  • Instruct all current users of the GE compendium to download and open a new compendium file that simply contains a network link to the master file.
  • Update the original install links on the first post of this thread to include the network link file, not the master file.
  • Voila! Everyone who uses the network link file will automagically receive an updated copy of the compendium every X days!
Thoughts? I've set up an example system on my university web space and would be happy to host things there if people think this is a good idea.

Steel Kangaroo

Smash Ace
This is totally cool Simna, too bad the only people around are people I already knew lived kinda near me (and they live like an hour away... :-( Hopefully everyone will add themselves to this.

StealthYoshi

Smash Cadet
NOW We're cookin

Excellent, nealdt!

Glad to see someone of good technical knowledge and ability here to help. I think this will take off perfectly if we can just follow the intrsuctions and make it as user-friendly as possible.

Just because someone thinks the instructions are too hard to follow doesnt mean they shouldnt add themselves either. They can always get a walkthru from this thread or ask someone they know to help.

Lets do this!

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Simna perhaps you should provide a link to Winrar I got some complaints from my friends around me that they couldn't open the main file.

Also Sending you my info now.

this should probably be stickied after at least the third page huh?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
New version available in first post. Special thanks to StealthYoshi for the auto-update suggestion and to nealdt for helping me make.

oh and Varuna....i have decided to go all zip from now on

EDIT: oh yeah and about that sticky...^_^ My settings show more posts per page so for me we are still on page 1. I hope this thing gets sticky soon...maybe I should ask Mike Nasty for help...lol

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
This is totally too cool. For Europe it doesn't accept street addresses, but it somehow still managed to place me like 2 blocks away from my house!

I'll ask people to give their info.

StealthYoshi

Smash Cadet
Add?

Everyone who has been added has e-mailed their details to Simna. His e-mail and a list of the details he needs from you are contained in the readme file for the Google Earth download linked to from this thread.

I'm also thinking it might be smart for Simna to take add requests via PM here and just post the required info on the first post of the thread as well.

Top Bottom