• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Global Gaming Tournament 2 - Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiko

Smash Champion
Global Gaming Tournament 2

Same as GGT. We're finally getting back into the swing of having regular tournamounts. Smash hasn't been confirmed at Super Vs Battle yet, so I want to make sure we have something on before Edster 2.

Tournament is confirmed! Get booking!.

Location info and Times: [LRB1]
Tournament Rules: [LRB2]
Group Stages Format: [LRB3]
Double Elimination Brackets Format: [LRB4]
General Smash Rules: [LRB5]
Events and Stages: [LRB6]
Tournament Structure: [LRB7]

Location info and Times [LRB1]

- Date: 31st Jan 2009 (Saturday)
- Time: 1pm - registration starts at 1:30pm, Events starting at 2pm
- Melee Tournament

68 - 70 Dalton St
Dale End
Birmingham,
B4 7LX
0121 693 6655

http://www.globalgaming.co.uk - Near the omega centre (where osplay was originally)

* Venue opens : 1000
* Signups Start: 1300
* Signups End: 1400

Singles - £5
Doubles - £10 per team
Venue £6

- Venue + Tourney costs will be £16 altogether (This means we stay at the venue from when we get there till 5am) lots of smash!
- Coach tickets will cost £14 (for londoners)
- Save up around £30

Pot will be split 60:30:10

Tournament Rules
[LRB2]

The Tournament will be split into 2 stages. Group Stages then a Double Elimination Bracket.

* You are expected to bring your own controller, if your gamecube pad SOMEHOW breaks in the middle of your match and you dont have a spare, then you will forfeit the match. believe me this HAS happened so check your pad
* If you aint there when its your turn, you will automatically forfeit the match. However we understand you MIGHT have a life, so we will give you 10 minutes but when you hold people up, no ones happy about it
* You forfeit the match if you press the Start button, but what you should really do is turn the option off...
* There is no stage banning

Group Stages [LRB3]

Group Stages (also known as Pools) will be the first stage, which are like qualifiers for the real tournament.

* All the players will be divided into seperate groups
* There will be a seeding system for the groups
* Each player has a set (first to 2) with each other player
* The top players in each group will progress or qualify for the Double Elimination Bracket
*If there is a Tie, a Tiebreaker game will be played. (It is not who won in the previous game)

Double Elimination Brackets Format [LRB4]

Double elimination brackets are kinda like, normal tournament brackets you see in the tournament mode in the Smash game. However this certain type of bracket has advantages over the normal one. You get 2 lives and the results are more fair due to this

* The players who win the most matches in their groups will be spread away from each other
* Matches will be First to 2 (or Best out of 3), best of 5 during the winners, losers and grand finals
* Guys, even if you lose the first match, you can still get to the finals, just that if you get straight wins you get to the finals quicker.

General Smash Rules [LRB5]

Smash is very unique game so it has its own set of rules. Please don't whine about the rules

* 'First Character Picking' will be done in a method called BLIND PICKING. You basically write your character on a piece of paper (or phone or something) and hide it till your opponent is done then REVEAL. Then pick the character that you wrote. This rule is in place to stop people from waiting for the opponent to pick just to counter.
* First Stage is ALWAYS random. Then Advanced Slob Picking. The person who loses may choose to pick another stage (probably a counter or buffstage). Then the winner picks a character then the loser picks his character. This also means that Blind picking is for the first match only.
* Items are off
* No characters are banned whatsoever
* Daves Stupid Rule: This rule will be in effect, you basically cant CHOOSE a stage you have already won on, if you get to choose. This prevents a match that looks like, FD,Yoshi,Mute City,Yoshi,Mute City

Events and Stages [LRB6]
Stage bans must be done double blind. If you both pick the same stage to ban, then only that stage is banned and you may NOT choose again.

Melee Singles

Random: FD, PS, DL64
Counterpick: FD, PS, DL64, YS, FoD, BF, Mute City (MC), Brinstar (B), Rainbow Ride (RR), Pokefloats (PF), DK64, Corneria (C).

With so many counterpicks available, Dave's stupid rule is in effect: You may not pick a stage you have won on, in the set. Note this is not the last stage you won on, but all stages you have won on within that set.

Melee Doubles

Counterpick: YS, BF, RR, PF, C, DK64.

You may not pick the last stage you won on. (Not Daves Stupid Rule)

Melee Crews Tournament

Double Elimination
1 Crew match = the entire set.
4 teams
4 stock each

Procedure:
All decisions are to be made by the captain. The captains decision is final.
Both captains will pick their Starting player double blind (write it on paper or something).
The character of the starter is also picked double blind.
First game is Random stage.

Losing team picks their player.
They may now choose a stage if they wish.
If a stage was chosen, then the winning team may change character.
If no stage was chosen then the winning team may not change cahracter, and a stage is picked at random.
Losing team now picks their character.

To summarise:

Loser picks player -> Pick stage -> Winner picks character -> Loser picks character
Loser picks player -> Random stage -> Loser picks character

Counterpick: FD, PS, DL64, YS, FoD, BF, MC, B, RR, PF, C, DK64.

Tournament Structure [LRB7]

This tournament, there is likely to be a larger turnout than GGT1, so we're gonna be a bit more organised. There will be 4 tournament runners and it's very important you listen to them. We only want the best for everyone, so the quicker we get through the events, the more time you have for friendlies, especially if you're staying all night.

Tournament runners are:

Aiko
AmcD
Hao
Kone

There is a warning system in place, and are there to stop people from playing friendlies during tournament time. We hope we won't have to use them but they are there to promote the smooth running of GGT2 and make it the most enjoyable tournament yet.

Tournament procedure

Registration will start from when I arrive there but officially it starts at 1pm.

Please register at the same time as your doubles partner. If you don't know who you want to team with, then tell us if you want to enterdoubles and we will have a list of players with no partners for you to choose from. A bit like speed dating but with less love.

There will be 8-9 set ups and they will be numbered.

When it is your time to play, you will be called with your opponent and given a TV. Play immediately, do not return to finish off a friendly or MM.

The Winner(s) is responsible for reporting the results to the runners.

For group stages and early brackets, all TV's will be used for tournament games.
Later bracket stages, 2-3 TV's will be put aside as a friendly area where you can play friendlies when you have been knocked out or whilst waiting.

Please be prepared to stop your friendly game immediately if you have been called for a game.

What will get me a warning?

For all timers: 2 minutes = 1 warning

If you are called for a game but do not play immediately, you will be put on a timer. You will be called again after each warning.

If you do not report the results of a game immediately. Timer will be put on once we see the TV is free. If all tournament runners are busy we will be flexible with the timer.

If you play a friendly on a Tournament TV during tournament time.

What are the penalties?

All warnings are cumulative (they add up). Its pretty much 3 strikes and your out. We give you 2 chances and then the punishment starts coming out

3 warnings – Loss of 1 Game
4 warnings – Loss of Set
5 warnings – Disqualification from event
6 warnings – Disqualification from all events

All tournament runners decisions are final.

Anyway, don't really want to be negative, and I'm sure everyone will follow the system perfectly fine no need to be afraid, after all, the cake is a lie

Enjoy!

Aiko

Smash Champion
Is everyone free for this or would you prefer the first weekend of feb (7th)?

I think we should seriously have commentators this time for the key matches.

That's so pringles! Where' your curly moustache at?

Scoops! Scoops Haagen Daaz!

Kone

Smash Master
The 31st is better for me, got my weekends wrong :). Alan why can u only do last weekends?

AmcD

Smash Ace
Keep it the last weekend of Jan. Otherwise the only other time I can go is the last weekend of Feb.

Hao

Smash Journeyman
That's so pringles! Where' your curly moustache at?

Scoops! Scoops Haagen Daaz!
**** THE KNICKS! **** THE KNICKS!

Just waiting for the owner to email me back with confirmation. I asked him to do the overnight thing again as I assume your gonna need it.

Kone

Smash Master
Me and Joe for commentators ^_^ ....i know i maybe whining bout the rules but am i reading them right..FoD, Poke, Yoshis story, Dreamland, Battlefield, FD ONLY? like no other stages at all??? personally thats to many, poke stad only.

AmcD

Smash Ace
It's not that I can only do last weekends lol, It's just January I know no-one would go before the last weekend due to exams etc and in February I have a lot going on.

J03

Smash Master
Ant ive been contemplating the stages on random/counter and i think we can include stage banning, how you ask, simple.

if you ban a random its only banned for the first match, where as if you ban a counter-pick it stays banned throughout the set.

With this i think we should also include Mute City and Kongo Jungle on the counter-pick list.

ps im obv there

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I should be able to make this, think my last exam is on the 26th? but ill check, need to have a few more games with blinky for aikos love xx

COEY

Smash Lord
I will be able to make this one! Sounds good. I can bring my cam for recording games, it's picks up sound really well so any commentary would come out really clear and not break speakers like some.

example http://www.vsfighting.com/play.php?vid=313

skip to the second game and you can easily hear charles and wes' convo.

Edit: Btw its a brawl match so watch at your own peril.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I will most likely come. As usual there's a chance I might not but I should be able to.

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
I think I can make this, my exams will be over by then and hopefully not had loads of worked piled on. Will probs be the next event i can go to, its good to see regular tournements happening. You'd better come to this Edwin, no johns. No 4 stocks this time Fuzzy lol.

Aiko

Smash Champion
Tournament is 100% confirmed. The results WILL be contributing to UK rankings.

Arrive at 1pm, Registration starts from 1:30pm, Events will start 2pm. No registration, no entry.

Last time people complained that brackers were too far apart from pools, so this time it'll be the classic line up of doubles, singles pools, singles brackets in that order.

Also, I had alot of fannybaws playing friendlies instead of their tournament matches which slowed alot of the process so I'm going to have a calling system. 5 minutes waiting loses you a game, 10 minutes you lose the set, 15 mins you're out of that tournament. No refunds.

Heres a reminder for everyone:
Please keep MM's to outside tournament times.
Just because you're out or waiting, don't play friendlies and hog setups.
I'm looking to get some TV's put aside for friendlies so that everyone who isn't still in the tournament aren't left bored.

My lovely assistant Hao will be helping me with running this one, so time wasters will be monitored.

Aiko

Smash Champion
just for the banter?

btw i'm thinking of having some more stages and stage banning this time? thoughts people?

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Put Kongo 64 on, Mute, Brinstar, Rainbow Ride and add Corneria solely for the banter. Thats my opinion.

Btw, Yeniths were you a Brawl player before diverting to Melee yeah?

COEY

Smash Lord
**** off Z you prick. no Brinstar or rainbow ride, corneria sounds alright though =o.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
If it is truly for the banter, Pokéfloats must be included.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
i may book for a few people max cost will be £10, im gonna book the tickets as soon as they're up on megabus.

If you want 100% definite seat on the coach then deposit me £10.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Alright alright, Pokefloats too fair enough, if its for the banter its for the banter.

In all seriousness though I think if you stick Kongo in and put stage bans on you're good to go. Other opinions?!!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
loool WIll be funny if you do **** bullet bill, you think you can take him?

I agree on the extra stages cos as long as mute is on life is great.

But still my usual response is I am not sure if I can make this, I have to see what happened closer to the date but otherwise right now it is likely I am going but I cant confirm.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
yeah he's coming to stay at my place the night before, you can stay if you want prof lol

i may book for a few people max cost will be £10, im gonna book the tickets as soon as they're up on megabus.

If you want 100% definite seat on the coach then deposit me £10.

I'm going to book in 2-3 weeks time

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Is he just down here for the ranbat lol?
I have to see if I can come cos I have to go to my aunties bday. The same one who stopped me from going to GT lol, but since you said sleeping round I have to see what time it ends.
And I cant confirm yet that I can come to this, as usual I have no idea yet.

Kone

Smash Master
kongo and brinstar on lol i lv kongo

joe/will - i got housing in brum if u wanna *** with us. The venue is really close to the carling academy, shud be a rock/indie nite on the sat nite if u wanna head to it after the tourney lol. I may come past bolton n get u guys ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom