• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glitch Preview: MD/VA Against the World

Over the last 4 years, the Smash at Xanadu weekly series has become one of the most popular weekly tournaments for both Smash 4 and Melee. With the help of VGBC, the series now garners the attention of thousands of viewers around the country every Tuesday and Wednesday to see top MD/VA talent on display. This Saturday (March 12th), Xanadu will be the site of a Smash 4 only tournament event named Glitch that is sure to be one a kind. Glitch is an ambitious event to say the least, with 4 different tournaments being run in the same day within the small confines of a local game store. Glitch originally was seen as just another large regional tournament, but has now managed to attract top-tier talent from around the country such as LLL|Mr. R, PG|MVD, VS|NickRiddle, 2GG|VoiD, and more. MD/VA will be hard pressed to defend its region against these top players, but they will have their own local powerhouses ready to take on the challenge.

Format

Glitch will be comprised of 4 different events, which the 269 attendees were allowed to pick 3 to compete in. Starting at 10am each event’s pools will be played throughout the day in 4 waves, with the finals of each tournament being played Saturday night. The 4 events are Singles, Doubles, Low-Tier, and Customs. Singles will of course be the main attraction, with 255 entrants as well as the honor of being the final event on the stream schedule. The 53-team doubles tournament should be highly competitive with teams like False/MR. R, Xaltis/DJ Jack, and Seibrik/MVD all looking for the top prize.

The Low-Tier Singles event is the first of its kind being played on this scale. After much deliberation and voting, Head TO Tantalus came up with this list for legal characters:

:4charizard::4littlemac::4wiifit::4miibrawl::4mewtwo::4shulk::4jigglypuff::4duckhunt::4gaw::4lucina::4ganondorf::4miigun::4miisword::4palutena::4samus::4zelda::4robinf::4drmario::4link::4dedede:

The Low-Tier Singles event is sure to bring out some match-ups that many Smashers are never likely to see again played at a high-level.

The 4th event is Custom Singles, which is a bit of a curiosity. Not only does the event have Customs completely legal but it is also running a 3-stock, 6-minute format. On top of this Halberd, Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, Pokemon Stadium 2, Umbra Clock Tower, and Wuhu Island will all be legal counter-pick stages (with 2 stage bans).

You can find the full brackets on Glitch's Smash.gg listing.

Defending the Territory

MD/VA catches a lot of flak from other regions for not producing top-level talent that can compete on a national stage. MD/VA’s recent 5-stock loss to the state of Texas during the Genesis 3 crew battles didn’t do much to help their case. Glitch will be their chance to show the other regions that they can defend their home turf against some of the best players in the country. Some of MD/VA’s top-players include:

DMG|Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2: - A long-time Lucas main who recently made the switch to Bayonetta and has been on fire ever since. He won 3 Xanadu weeklies in a row and came in second last week only to the visiting Hyuga, whom he had a close set with in Grand Finals. He is no stranger to Bayo’s 0-death combos as Anti shows here.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

EZG|Remzi :4zss:/:4corrinf: - Formerly known as VaBengal, this Zero Suit Samus main recently took the #1 PR spot away from Boss who had held the title for quite some time. Despite his new found success with ZSS, Remzi has been incorporating Corrin into his gameplay as a co-main. He was able to get 9th place at the last Xanadu weekly going all Corrin, but wasn’t happy with that result. Hopefully both of his mains will be ready because being #1 means all eyes will be on him to defeat some of the visiting players invading his region.

VexX|Seagull Joe :4sonic: – Currently #3 on the PR, Seagull has had serious success on the national stage getting 9th at The Big House 5 and 13th at Super Smash Con. But what this Sonic main is best known for is being the man who took down ZeRo at The Big House 5. Glitch could be the perfect opportunity for Seagull Joe to prove that his major upset wasn’t just a fluke.

HE|Mister Eric :4rob: – This ROB main is actually a fairly recent D.C. transplant who originally hailed from Kentucky. After moving into the area, Mister Eric quickly asserted himself as one of the best in the area by winning multiple Xanadus and managing to defeat Boss in several close Grand Finals sets. His allegiance to ROB is unshakable and has a legion of followers called the #ROBsquad. After being bumped down to #7 on the PR from #4, Mister Eric will have a lot to prove at Glitch.

Other MD/VA players to watch: VGBC|Logic :4olimar:/:4diddy: ARC|Puppeh :4sheik:, HE|SmashGOD :4kirby:/:4corrinf:, ZD :4luigi:, Dunnobro:4sheik:/:4mario:, InC|Snow :4fox:, Viceroy :rosalina:, DMG|Zage :4pacman:, DG|Zephyr :4cloud:, and DCe|Average Joe :4dk:.

Stream/Schedule

The event will be streamed on twitch.tv/vgbootcamp and twitch.tv/vgbootcamp2 starting at 4pm with the doubles top 8. Pools matches will not be streamed. The full schedule can be found in spreadsheet format here.

10:00am - Pools Wave A
12:00pm - Pools Wave B
2:00pm - Pools Wave C
4:00pm - Pools Wave D
6:00pm - Doubles Top 8
7:00pm - Low Tier Top 16
8:00pm - Custom Singles Top 16
9:00pm - Singles Top 16​

---​

Are you excited for Glitch? Let us know in the comments section! Use the twitter hashtag #GlitchSSB to spread the hype and be sure to check out the Glitch Fantasy Draft for a chance to win awesome prizes!

Last edited:

Comments

It's always nice to see top players go up against good Bayonetta players. Lets see how Pink Fresh does against other top players with Bayonetta.

Plus that side customs event looks like Pure cheese and jank lol. Just what I expect from customs.

I have a feeling that Mewtwo will win the low tier tournament but I hope it's Ganon

3 stock 6min?
Is that a boycott to 3 stock?
That custom event just looks like some troll event but whatever.
Besides that, I'm looking forward to this event.

That low tier list event is a bad idea this early. I don't like preconceived notions about skill caps at this stage in the meta. It seems harmless but it further stifles the growth potential from those fighters by losing testers and lab time to wary players. It's an understandable list but I wouldn't be surprised if we see 1-2 of these move to higher tiers in the years to come. Mew2 and Link are my guesses there and Robin/wii fit are mid tier at least. Shulk Dh could go places too. Happy to keep Ganon in low tier till the end of days though, keep those not worthy off him.

Robin is allowed in the low tier tournament, yet it doesn't include Bowser Jr, Roy, Kirby and Marth? I thought Robin was mid tier.

Well, I believe that Marth isn't in there because Lucina already is. They're very similar characters, and Lucina is the worse one.

I dunno man, he just looks like another bayo main to me. Kappa

Too bad I'm not attending. No good Ness players to showcase.

Last edited:
That low tier list is garbage. :4kirby::4bowserjr::4feroy: are totally low tier. :4wiifit::4robinf::4mewtwo: have results and tools that prove they are not low tier.

Lucina low tier, but Marth isnt.

lol ok
Marth got buffed and has gotten quick results with Pugwest and Mr. E. No Lucina player (if there is any) has acheived this. Lucina might not be low tier, but no player has proved it yet.

That low tier list event is a bad idea this early. I don't like preconceived notions about skill caps at this stage in the meta. It seems harmless but it further stifles the growth potential from those fighters by losing testers and lab time to wary players. It's an understandable list but I wouldn't be surprised if we see 1-2 of these move to higher tiers in the years to come. Mew2 and Link are my guesses there and Robin/wii fit are mid tier at least. Shulk Dh could go places too. Happy to keep Ganon in low tier till the end of days though, keep those not worthy off him.
Shulk is not going anywhere with his frame data
upload_2016-3-10_13-42-14.jpeg

Everybody remember, this is a place with a strong Kirby. Tantalus is justified in his choice by the results of his area.

Idk about the others though, they seem in the wrong spot.

Customs tourney! Woohoo!

Last edited:
The 4th event is Custom Singles, which is a bit of a curiosity. Not only does the event have Customs completely legal but it is also running a 3-stock, 6-minute format. On top of this Halberd, Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, Pokemon Stadium 2, Umbra Clock Tower, and Wuhu Island will all be legal counter-pick stages (with 2 stage bans).
This almost seems like a joke, but a great one at that. If nothing else, I watching this part of the event for sure.

I dunno man, he just looks like another bayo main to me.

Too bad I'm not attending. No good Ness players to showcase.
Implying you're a well-known Ness player who everyone wants to see?

Also Pink Fresh is, like, THE top Bayonetta right now js

Some people will probably strongly disagree with me, but IMO Shulk, Samus, Mewtwo, and Game and Watch should be banned in low tier

Everybody remember, this is a place with a strong Kirby. Tantalus is justified in his choice by the results of his area.

Idk about the others though, they seem in the wrong spot.

Customs tourney! Woohoo!
Smash God is good, but not good enough to warrant Kirby being banned. If that were the case, I would think Duck Hunt would be banned because of DunnoBro.
Speaking of which, it'll be awesome to see DunnoBro's Duck Hunt again.

The customs and low tier singles events are pretty much jokes lol. Looking forward to VoiD winning singles lets go

Implying you're a well-known Ness player who everyone wants to see?

Also Pink Fresh is, like, THE top Bayonetta right now js
I'm sorry I forgot to Kappa my post. Can't reference inside statements without offending some riled up ****poster these days.

And yeah, I sure wish that dmwn guy was down here making waves with Ness. I hear he's not fraudulent, js.

Last edited:
Mewtwo, Wii Fit, and Robin in Low tier, but no Roy, Bowser Jr, Kirby or Lucas?

Last edited:
Top Bottom