• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glide Tossing Returns!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I don't take any credit for this. I found it in a thread by @ Opana Opana on the Megaman boards. Apparently you can jump cancel glide toss!

Can't wait to see how this turns out for Diddy, Bowser Jr, Link and other item spawning characters.

EDIT: It has been explained to me that this is technically a "Jump Canceled Throw" (which existed in Brawl) rather than a Glide toss. Regardless, it functions the same way in a character's kit.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Think this'll work for Megaman, or is the Metal Blade too functionally different for it to work?

Edit: I really should watch the video before I respond. That said, wonder if this'll work to his advantage, or if his approach options are still too weak?

Last edited:

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
Actually that's just a Jump Cancel Throw and not a Glide Toss (canceling a Roll with an Item Toss).

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Actually that's just a Jump Cancel Throw and not a Glide Toss (canceling a Roll with an Item Toss).
Actually, it's a jump canceled glide toss.

Thanks for the thread/credit btw.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Infinity also showed it was possible with MK last night on stream but his slide was like brawls glide toss. So i think its possible without JCing Nakat has a vid of megaman with a farther slide i think.

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
As far as I can tell, you're just canceling a jump into an item toss. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Glide Toss:
To perform a glide toss, the player must grab a throwable item. He/she must then perform a roll and almost immediately (about 6 frames) after, throw the item in any direction. The character will then cancel the dodge and throw the item, but seeing as the player's momentum is kept from the roll, the character will slide along the ground.
Jump Cancel Throw:
The jump cancel throw (abbreviated JCT) is an advanced technique in Super Smash Bros. Brawl that allows the player to throw an item while sliding a little bit forward, similar to a glide toss. It can be performed by any character in the game. The player must have an item in their character's hand, then dash. They must then jump and cancel the dash into a throw. There are different frame limits for each character. Basically, the technique is performed by transferring the jump momentum into the toss, which is how the character slides forward.
According to this explanations it's "just" a JCT.

Sorry to be so nitpicky but as a Brawl Diddy Kong player I have to point it out.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
As far as I can tell, you're just canceling a jump into an item toss. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Sorry to be so nitpicky but as a Brawl Diddy Kong player I have to point it out.
Well, if you're a Diddy player you're likely right.

Sorry about that.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero

Good call, added it to the OP.

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
I saw someone on tourney locators stream demonstrate metaknights glide toss. it seems to be in the game for a couple of characters. I feel once we get the wiiu version we will be able to glide toss better.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Villager can JCT too(Tested with Timber wood.), so the possibility of stealing a throwable item stored with Pocket is pretty interesting to me.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Is there any advantage to this as link vs just dashing to throw a bomb then re dashing to do an attack? I find that Link can combo very well by dashing out of a dash bomb throw.

McX

Smash Cadet
Link's bombs don't hurt him anymore if they connect with the opponent. Supposedly, it follows into a usmash combo if you use a jump cancelled toss.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Is there any advantage to this as link vs just dashing to throw a bomb then re dashing to do an attack? I find that Link can combo very well by dashing out of a dash bomb throw.
Not positive, but I believe there's less lag, same for the pivot JCT too. It's not too useful for positioning with Link though do to his extremely small slide. I did get it to combo into usmash out of a forward toss close range, a pivot toss at a bit of a distance into an arrow, and a bit closer but still at a distance JCT to dash attack.

I can't guarantee any of those will work against humans, although I'm almost positive usmash would.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Don't hype me up with the thread title but I was thinking it was probably the JCIT anyway...

Problem is you can't do it out of shield which is what made glidetossing really good to punish something OoS. (especially for Diddy)

Also this is known since like a month but I guess it's good to make a whole thread here for it so more people know about it. :)

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Been trying to figure out how to do this...So is it just:
1. Dash w/ item in hand
2. Press X to jump (demo assumption)
3. Press L immediately (item gets thrown forward)

Is that it? (excuse me for my noobness)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
1. Dash w/ item in hand

Didn't try with L, but assume that works the same. I just use my thumb over A and X to perform it easier.

That's pretty much it though.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
1. Dash w/ item in hand

Don't worry I'm a noob too XD and we both live in IL!

Malex

Smash Apprentice
In the stream, I believe that metaknight is legitimately glide tossing, and not JC item tossing. So, to training mode!

Edit:

Ok so, I believe that megaman's item toss just straight up cancels momentum from rolling. When I get the chance, I'll try to get metaknight to glide toss with a saw blade, but I'll have to wait until my brother becomes available to play.

Double Edit:

I was able to successfully glide toss with Metaknight using Megaman's saw blade. Megaman's item throw animation cancels roll momentum. (Or for some reason, Metaknight's doesn't cancel it.)

Triple Edit:

Item Spawn Characters -- (Note: I am able to consistently glide toss with metaknight at this point. I considered the test conclusive if I was able to interrupt the actual roll animation into a throw, for example, if Link were in the middle of his somersault.)

Peach -- No
Bowser Jr -- No
Diddy -- No
Link -- No
Toon Link -- No
Robot -- No
Villager -- No
Pac Man -- No

All characters that spawn items cannot glide toss with any item. (Or, at the very least their own item and the control item (beam sword))

If it is any consolation, characters can item toss directly out of shield via roll cancels or jump cancels.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Great job, interesting development.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I don't understand the utility of this. I'd like to. Help?
IMO, it's just a better way to toss out of a dash, as when you toss normally it creates more lag(Same for pivot.)

Aside from that though, I use it to distance myself, and although situational it can be used into an usmash or utilt.

Player-1

Smash Legend
For whatever reason, MK is the only character in the game, from what I can tell, with an actual useful glidetoss. I tested on the other characters (minus wario, lucina, and rob since I don't have them yet, but they also probably don't have a notable one since it's probably because of MK's unique roll).

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Thanks for that; I guess one is better than nothing so I'll take what I can get. I loved GT in Brawl so I'll miss is a bunch.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This is too hard...can someone explain how to do it again? lol.

Malex

Smash Apprentice
This is too hard...can someone explain how to do it again? lol.
Glide Toss: Metaknight only

1. Hold R -> Shield active
2. Hold towards opponent -> Roll begins
3. Push L -> Item toss

It takes a few times to learn the timing. If you do a standing item toss, it is too soon. If you just roll it was too late.

JC Item Toss: Everyone

1. Jump -> Character starts jump animation
2. Before you leave ground -> Item Toss

Barring any new information, I don't really see any usefulness as far as movement options go for it. I only use it to throw items out of shield and to standing throw items out of runs.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Glide Toss: Metaknight only

1. Hold R -> Shield active
2. Hold towards opponent -> Roll begins
3. Push L -> Item toss

It takes a few times to learn the timing. If you do a standing item toss, it is too soon. If you just roll it was too late.

JC Item Toss: Everyone

1. Jump -> Character starts jump animation
2. Before you leave ground -> Item Toss

Barring any new information, I don't really see any usefulness as far as movement options go for it. I only use it to throw items out of shield and to standing throw items out of runs.
Better explanation than I.

Servbot6

Smash Rookie
It also seems that megaman can reverse JC item toss for a mix up option ( so like to bait out an attack and then punish with a side smash).

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
It also seems that megaman can reverse JC item toss for a mix up option ( so like to bait out an attack and then punish with a side smash).
You mean pivot?

Top Bottom