• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Gizmo caca!" - The Stripe Support Thread (EDIT: He's out!)

FazDude

Smash Master

Who is Stripe?
Stripe is the main antagonist of the 1984 comedy/horror film Gremlins (as well as its sequel, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, via reincarnation). Originally one of the Mogwai spawned by protagonist Gizmo, the maliciously mischevious Stripe tricked Billy Peltzer into feeding Gizmo's spawn after midnight, mutating them into hideous gremlins. Leading this newfound army, Stripe strived to cause chaos and mayhem across Kingston Falls.

Why Stripe?
While not the biggest among Warner Bros' film library, Gremlins has enjoyed a wide following despite not having a new movie in over 30 years, with merchandise featuring its characters being widely available (including appearances by Gizmo and Stripe in Lego Dimensions). In addition, a new TV adaptation of the franchise, Gremlins: Secret of the Mogwai, is set to hit HBO Max next year.

What can Stripe do?
Stripe has a plethora of weapons at his disposal - Chainsaws, guns (as pictured), saws, and his natural claws. He could also call in other gremlins to help out in battle.

However, one idea that could be applied to Stripe could make him a composite character for the gremlin species as a whole, giving him access to the mutant gremlin abilities from The New Batch (for example, Stripe can sprout the wings of the Bat Gremlin for a recovery move or use his spider legs for strong attacks).

Stripe's Alts
Stripe has a wide selection of alts, which could all be different (named) gremlins.

Mohawk...

George (sans the cigar most likely)...

Lenny...

...and the Brain Gremlin (my personal favorite)!

Stripe's Supporters

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Stripe was one of the first characters I thought about when the Multiversus leak started! I support!

AlRex

Smash Lord
I would definitely like the Gremlins to get in, they have good potential in many aspects and fit this sort of strange, mixed array of settings and tones. Count me as a supporter, as well.

FazDude

Smash Master
I find it incredibly ironic that a support thread I did mainly as a kneejerk reaction to the birth of the Multiversus section of the forums is one of the first to have their character actually added.

Can I just say that I love Stripe's model in this game? They really did a good job getting all of his features in without overdetailing him. It's probably going to be a while until we see any gameplay of him, but I'm going to stick to my belief that he could incorporate some other Gremlin abilities - Maybe sprouting the Bat Gremlin's wings for a glide like Batman's? Also, I think it woulda been hilarious if Stripe used Gizmo for one of his attacks, like strapping him to a dynamite-laced RC car or something, but the leaks suggest Gizmo will be his own character (which I'm not complaining about!)

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's supported the thread! I'm excited to give Stripe a whirl once he releases!

FazDude

Smash Master
Bringing the thread back from the dead with some exciting news!

It looks like Stripe is headed our way this Tuesday, alongside Gizmo! Nothing we can really tell about how they’ll play from this teaser, but the wait is almost over!

D

Deleted member

Bringing the thread back from the dead with some exciting news!

It looks like Stripe is headed our way this Tuesday, alongside Gizmo! Nothing we can really tell about how they’ll play from this teaser, but the wait is almost over!
They've actually confirmed (from the looks of it) it's just Gizmo on Tuesday

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for Stripe though!

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
First off, I'm ecstatic that both Stripe and Gizmo are both in as separate characters. Gremlins and Gremlins 2 are both classics in the comedy/horror genre (though 2 is definitely more a straight comedy) and I feel they go underrated nowadays. I don't think that Gizmo and Stripe would've worked as well as a transforming character, so it's nice to see both of the characters getting the love they deserve. Also Gizmo is straight-up extremely fun to play, definitely one of my new mains.

As far as Stripe's moveset, there was a detail in their trailer that makes me think that Stripe may actually have a similar, but warped version of Gizmo's kit. In the trailer, Stripe ends up rolling a few items from offscreen, a tricycle and a rotary saw blade. I'm convinced that both of those items will play a part in his moveset somehow, with the tricycle serving as a similar attack to Gizmo's Tokyo Drift car special and the saw possibly being something he flings instead of Gizmo's popcorn. Also, in the movie he ends up using a revolver near the end, so I could see that being a mirror to Gizmo's bow and arrow (plus the memes generated by Stripe just whipping out a revolver and shooting his opponent would be hilarious).

One thing I would like to see with Stripe's moveset is the ability to create/summon other gremlins to trail him and maybe do delayed normal attacks like with Ice Climbers, though I don't know how technically feasible that would be.

FazDude

Smash Master
One thing I would like to see with Stripe's moveset is the ability to create/summon other gremlins to trail him and maybe do delayed normal attacks like with Ice Climbers, though I don't know how technically feasible that would be.
Given the Watermelon Stevens, I’d say this is fairly feasible (and would be awesome to see).

FazDude

Smash Master
My current estimate in regards to Stripe is that he'll be released by the start of October, since they'll want to focus on the Black Adam movie tie-in as soon as possible.

Thoughts?
Makes sense - Stripe releasing around Halloween is fitting for a horror(ish) character, after all.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
My current estimate in regards to Stripe is that he'll be released by the start of October, since they'll want to focus on the Black Adam movie tie-in as soon as possible.

Thoughts?
Yeah, I feel like they're saving Stripe for a Halloween adjacent release with Black Adam coming first. Plus since we just got Gizmo last week, I could see the devs waiting a few characters before putting in the second Gremlins rep.

In some other news, apparently a multiversus dataminer disclosed some of Stripe's attacks, which I'll spoiler below. (note: this dataminer's twitter account has a lot of MV leaks on it, if you want your experience to be leak-free, you've been warned.)

In this leak, parts of Stripe's moveset includes throwing saw blades, biting, shooting a gun, and using some sort of bomb. Also he has a dash, which may or may not be his tricycle. The details of how these moves work are still unknown. I personally am a little bummed that nothing came out about him summoning other gremlins, but not everything about Stripe's moveset has been revealed yet, so it might be a thing that just wasn't revealed yet.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I feel like they're saving Stripe for a Halloween adjacent release with Black Adam coming first. Plus since we just got Gizmo last week, I could see the devs waiting a few characters before putting in the second Gremlins rep.

In some other news, apparently a multiversus dataminer disclosed some of Stripe's attacks, which I'll spoiler below. (note: this dataminer's twitter account has a lot of MV leaks on it, if you want your experience to be leak-free, you've been warned.)

In this leak, parts of Stripe's moveset includes throwing saw blades, biting, shooting a gun, and using some sort of bomb. Also he has a dash, which may or may not be his tricycle. The details of how these moves work are still unknown. I personally am a little bummed that nothing came out about him summoning other gremlins, but not everything about Stripe's moveset has been revealed yet, so it might be a thing that just wasn't revealed yet.
It's entirely possible that there is a primary mechanic that hasn't been uncovered as of yet.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It's entirely possible that there is a primary mechanic that hasn't been uncovered as of yet.
I hope so. I'm excited for Stripe either way and him using a bunch of tools and weapons is in-character for him, but a big factor of gremlins in general is that they can multiply easily if given the chance and overwhelm victims with sheer numbers. And unlike Gizmo, Stripe actively sought out water to multiply. I feel like if they didn't feature some aspect of that part of gremlins in his moveset, they'd take away a part of his inherent danger factor.

I know it'd be unrealistic to have him spawn an army like in the movie, but it'd be cool if he drenched himself with a bottle of water (or a glass with paintbrushes in it for the extra reference) for an attack and created one or two more gremlins that'd trail him and just perform basic attacks on some kind of delayed input. That would be amazing imo and fit his character as the ringleader of the gremlin horde.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope so, I'm excited for Stripe either way and him using a bunch of tools and weapons is in-character for him, but a big factor of gremlins in general is that they can multiply easily if given the chance and overwhelm victims with sheer numbers. And unlike Gizmo, Stripe actively sought out water to multiply. I feel like if they didn't feature some aspect of that part of gremlins in his moveset, they'd take away a part of his inherent danger factor.

I know it'd be unrealistic to have him spawn an army like in the movie, but it'd be cool if he drenched himself with a bottle of water (or a glass with paintbrushes in it for the extra reference) for an attack and created one or two more gremlins that'd trail him and just perform basic attacks on some kind of delayed input. That would be amazing imo and fit his character as the ringleader of the gremlin horde.
At least one is doable, given the Watermelon Stevens, yes. If that's the case, it would justify having to release him later, to at least get him prepped up to "Experimental" status.

Which still makes me wonder if we'll get one last different character before October starts. If Arcade Mode isn't brought in, three weeks is a long time without any significant content addition.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
At least one is doable, given the Watermelon Stevens, yes. If that's the case, it would justify having to release him later, to at least get him prepped up to "Experimental" status.

Which still makes me wonder if we'll get one last different character before October starts. If Arcade Mode isn't brought in, three weeks is a long time without any significant content addition.
It will probably be Rick, Black Adam, then Stripe. Also, I think the next character after Stripe is probably going to be a late October/early November release judging by datamines on who it is. So judging by that I think the current lineup is going to be Rick with a release date of around Sept 20th, Black Adam for very late September/beginning of October, and then Stripe for mid October. That's just my theory though.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It will probably be Rick, Black Adam, then Stripe. Also, I think the next character after Stripe is probably going to be a late October/early November release judging by datamines on who it is. So judging by that I think the current lineup is going to be Rick with a release date of around Sept 20th, Black Adam for very late September/beginning of October, and then Stripe for mid October. That's just my theory though.
This theory may hold more water than you think (no pun intended).

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Some more details on Stripe have been leaked with the new patch:

Stripe is estimated to come before Black Adam and will be the next character after Rick. His first skin is the Brain Gremlin who has alternate voice clips.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Some more details on Stripe have been leaked with the new patch:

Stripe is estimated to come before Black Adam and will be the next character after Rick. His first skin is the Brain Gremlin who has alternate voice clips.
I can't tell you how much I've been looking forward to this. With any luck, chances will be looking good for the other Gremlins to get in as skins at some point down the line.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Stripe is lowkey one of the most exciting additions for me.

I love Gremlins and Gizmo was an awesome addition.
I definitely feel that, both Gremlins movies are pure nostalgia fuel for me. The fact that we're getting not just one, but two Gremlins reps is crazy, especially since they're from an often-overlooked franchise that hasn't really been active since the 90's. But I'm honestly more excited for Stripe than I am for high profile future picks like Joker.

FazDude

Smash Master
Well, Stripe Gang, the big day is finally here! Stripe has been added to the game!

We got a brief stream highlighting his moveset, alongside some general MultiVersus updates and a fun trailer:

I probably won't have the time to buy/try out Stripe for a good while, but I think his moveset is really fun; A lot of room for chaotic combos and traps, just as how a Gremlin should feel. We also have Combat Stripe as a new skin, which will be available as part of a Halloween event from today to November 15th.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Now that Stripe has been out for almost a week, what are everyone's thoughts on him?

The first thing to note is that a lot of his attacks don't work as intended. His up special is supposed to be a command grab and his aerial side special is supposed to travel along walls and floors if it hits terrain. Idk if the dev team are going to fix these attacks or just leave them in place, as he has a workable moveset without them. The only thing is that one of his signature perks, Feeding After Midnight, relies on pulling off the command grab. Though none of his perks work at the moment either.

With those points out of the way, how does he actually play? I've heard a lot of complaints that Stripe is overpowered, and as someone who's played as Stripe almost exclusively since he came out I kinda have to agree. Stripe dominates most matchups he's in and a lot of his attacks are extremely safe, with his sawblades being a strong area-of-denial tool coupled with the huge hitboxes from his aerials. His normal attacks have very good framedata as well as a large hitbox.

These attacks aren't necessarily huge problems by themselves, but unequivocally the most powerful part of Stripe's kit is his gun. His gun is an extremely safe tool that recharges fast and is hard to counter and as it stands, if Stripe launches you anywhere near the blastzone and you have a target on you, you're dead 9 times out of 10. Even if you dodge the first shot, the other two bullets can hit you and will make you burn multiple aerial options to get back to the stage at best.

Don't get me wrong, Stripe is extremely fun to play (though I'm still a little salty he doesn't have a multiplying effect). But the fact that Stripe is so good even though half his moveset is broken and his signature perks don't work is worrisome. The incoming nerfs to Stripe's gun and sawblades is a good start to discourage spammy plays with the projectiles. I would also increase endlag on Stripe's normals on whiff and maybe reduce the range of his target to make it less safe of a kill option.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Now that Stripe has been out for almost a week, what are everyone's thoughts on him?

The first thing to note is that a lot of his attacks don't work as intended. His up special is supposed to be a command grab and his aerial side special is supposed to travel along walls and floors if it hits terrain. Idk if the dev team are going to fix these attacks or just leave them in place, as he has a workable moveset without them. The only thing is that one of his signature perks, Feeding After Midnight, relies on pulling off the command grab. Though none of his perks work at the moment either.

With those points out of the way, how does he actually play? I've heard a lot of complaints that Stripe is overpowered, and as someone who's played as Stripe almost exclusively since he came out I kinda have to agree. Stripe dominates most matchups he's in and a lot of his attacks are extremely safe, with his sawblades being a strong area-of-denial tool coupled with the huge hitboxes from his aerials. His normal attacks have very good framedata as well as a large hitbox.

These attacks aren't necessarily huge problems by themselves, but unequivocally the most powerful part of Stripe's kit is his gun. His gun is an extremely safe tool that recharges fast and is hard to counter and as it stands, if Stripe launches you anywhere near the blastzone and you have a target on you, you're dead 9 times out of 10. Even if you dodge the first shot, the other two bullets can hit you and will make you burn multiple aerial options to get back to the stage at best.

Don't get me wrong, Stripe is extremely fun to play (though I'm still a little salty he doesn't have a multiplying effect). But the fact that Stripe is so good even though half his moveset is broken and his signature perks don't work is worrisome. The incoming nerfs to Stripe's gun and sawblades is a good start to discourage spammy plays with the projectiles. I would also increase endlag on Stripe's normals on whiff and maybe reduce the range of his target to make it less safe of a kill option.
He's still pretty good as is, congratulations on making it in

Edit: okay after playing more I can say this character is scary. I have a run away play style and with stripe I just can't. His chainsaw is unpredictable. I don't don't know if I should recover high or low. Also his bullets hit me when I feel safe. And the saw blades mean I have no other choice but to go in. Why don't I feel safe around this character ever?

Last edited:
Top Bottom