• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give Us Melee Weight Please

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It makes no sense that Mewtwo is a feather weight in Smash honestly. In Melee, he also had a glarring weakness with his low weight in Melee, which also felt weird. So I don't know why exactly Mewtwo was made even lighter than that in Smash 4. Yes his strenght, combos and speed make up for it, and sure a character should have certain weaknesses, but this is just taken a tad too far. I really hope Mewtwo will be around his weight in Melee yet again, because with recoveries nerfed, I think it's weird that Mewtwo would be KO'd at even lower precentages than even Squirtle.

D

Deleted member

While it doesn't make sense it's nessicary. Mewtwo would be too good of a character if it was heavier. Most if not all top players say if mewtwo had weight, it would probably be top 3, if not the best character in smash 4. I understand the concern, and I inside feel the same, however doing so, even by a little would make mewtwo a little too strong for the metagame currently how it's looking. It's already a strong enough character on it's own.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I get that point entirely, but Mewtwo was a feather weight before being actually good. And whilst Mewtwo looks quite damn solid in Ultimate at the moment with his moves that have so much power, shield pressure, speed and whatnot.. this wasn't how Mewtwo was innitially desiged when he first became playable in Smash 4. He was quite underwhelming, and his weight made things worse. Am glad he's a great character now! He really should be.. but it's just kind of an eyesore to me in a way. But as long as he's good, am game. Don't get me wrong. It's just a little pet peeve I guess.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
As long as Mewtwo makes up for it in other areas I legit don't care. Maybe a slight buff is ok but I like the "glass cannon" archetype. He seems quite fast already.

Browny

Smash Hater
Mewtwo has a top tier recovery, top tier dash speed and high tier aerial mobility in smash 4. You can't just give a heavyweight all of those traits and honestly if someone told me would I trade Mewtwos weight for say, Falcon if I also had to swap out his recovery, I'll take the low weight every time.

Don't forget, heavier weight also involves taking a lot of free damage from early combos. Whats the point in living 20% longer every stock if you get combo'd for 20% more on an early grab combo? So you end up dying in the same amount of hits, with a worse recovery on top of that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smash 4, and Smash Ultimate Mewtwo make me wanna forget that Melee Mewtwo was even a thing. So am gonna pretend he wasn't even in that game. Much like how Ganondorf wasn't in Brawl and Smash 4 either.

godogod

Smash Ace
Mewtwo has a top tier recovery, top tier dash speed and high tier aerial mobility in smash 4. You can't just give a heavyweight all of those traits and honestly if someone told me would I trade Mewtwos weight for say, Falcon if I also had to swap out his recovery, I'll take the low weight every time.

Don't forget, heavier weight also involves taking a lot of free damage from early combos. Whats the point in living 20% longer every stock if you get combo'd for 20% more on an early grab combo? So you end up dying in the same amount of hits, with a worse recovery on top of that.
His weight in SSB4 is currently *74. 85 weight(melee) is not heavy. That's still considered lightweight Mario is 100 +- 1.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
His weight in SSB4 is currently 84. 85 weight(melee) is not heavy. That's still considered lightweight Mario is 100 +- 1.
Melee Mewtwo was still heavier than the likes of Mr. Game & Watch, Fox, Falco, Pikachu and Kirby. He's now lighter than all of those characters.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For crying out loud, there's a Psychic move called Gravity that is all about weighing everything down to reduce evasion. Who's to say it can't work in reverse?

godogod

Smash Ace
I'm really curious what Mewtwo's weight is now, since he is now heavier apparently. Hope we know sooner than later by dec 7.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A Twitter post that I saw at King K. Rool's sub-forum stated that Squirtle and Mr. G&W are the 3rd lightest fighters, while Jigglypuff is 2nd lightest, and Pichu is #1. Based on that information, it appears that Mewtwo will be heavier than it was in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

It remains to be seen if Kirby is the 4th lightest though.

godogod

Smash Ace
Yeah, Kirby was heavier than Mewtwo in smash 4.gw is only one point higher than Mewtwo in smash 4 too

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Eh, Mewtwo was pretty good at the end of Smash 4 and Ultimate M2 seems to be on a same note. There is no need to further increase his weight.
Just think of him as levitating on the spot to maintain balance and you'll be golden.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
A Twitter post that I saw at King K. Rool's sub-forum stated that Squirtle and Mr. G&W are the 3rd lightest fighters, while Jigglypuff is 2nd lightest, and Pichu is #1. Based on that information, it appears that Mewtwo will be heavier than it was in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

It remains to be seen if Kirby is the 4th lightest though.
These are the 10 lightest characters in Sm4sh:

Zero Suit Samus 80
Meta Knight 80
Fox 79
Kirby 79
Olimar 79
Pikachu 79
Rosalina 77
Mr. Game & Watch 75
Mewtwo 74
Jigglypuff 68

Pichu is hopefully going to slot in even or lower than Jiggs. Honestly, I'd be OK if Mewtwo was slotted even or slightly heavier than the 200lb Zero Suit Samus:
(IMG)
MewtwoPokedex.jpg
SamusSize.jpg

That would still leave him in the bottom 20th percentile in weight, but it's better than being bottom 5% like Sm4sh for no reason.
And honestly, what's the harm? This is just psychological for a lot of us anyway. What's the end result of a buff to weight of 80, we die like 2% later in most cases? It's not going to affect balance that much.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Testing Mewtwo's weight. Mewtwo vs Mewtwo. KOes with training mode 1v1 boosted upthrow at 127%. F-smash at 67% from respawn position.

Against Mario, it takes Upthrow until 141%. Fmash til 78%.

Against ZSS, Upthrow KOes at 130%, F-smash at 69%.

Pikachu Upthrow KO at 125%,, F-smash at 69%.

So it seems Mewtwo's weight is mostly the same, possibly went up slightly, but is still below Pikachi.

godogod

Smash Ace
Nice.. How did you get access to the game...?'

I'm pretty surprised how close ZSS and Pikachu's weight is to Mewtwo in Smash 4. 80 and 79 respectively to Mewtwo's 74. Perhaps Mewtwo jumped to 77 or 78. IIRC Game & Watch is the closet to Mewtwo's weight (in smash 4 its 75 to 74). Is it possible you could try G&W, Rosalina, Olimar, and Kirby?

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
On Game and Watch: Upthrow at 122%, Fmash at 67%. Roughly the same as Mewtwo, huh...
On Rosalina: Upthrow at 129% and Fsmash at 71%, so slightly more than mewtwo on both ends.
On Kirby: Upthrow at 126% Fsmash at 70%.

Tooltop just told me Mewtwo is very "Light and easy to launch" herp.
I tested mewtwo vs mewtwo again for rigor. Upthrow actually KOs at 125%, making him Lighter than both Kirby and Pikachu. Only G&W compares.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
The worst problem with Mewtwo's light weight is that his hurtbox is as large as the heavies. Pichu might be harder to kill outright despite his much lower weight because he's smaller and more elusive.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The worst problem with Mewtwo's light weight is that his hurtbox is as large as the heavies. Pichu might be harder to kill outright despite his much lower weight because he's smaller and more elusive.
See also: Rosalina, Palutena, Bayonetta.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Rosaluma definitely, but Tena isn't a lightweight really. Smack in the middleweight range with Marth, Toon Link and Peach.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Got Ninja'd.. From 85 to 72-74 to 77. At least it's something.
So...

Melee OG: 85
Smash4 (DLC): 72
Smash4 (patch): 74
Ultimate (launch): 77
Ultimate (3.0 patch): 79

They've increased his weight by 7 since he was released as DLC in 2015, but we're still 6 units lighter than his OG iteration in Melee.

I don't know, Joker weighs what, 91? Still makes no sense why Mewtwo is such a lightweight when he isn't really as offensively threatening or elusive as heavier fighters but maybe they're planning on slowly increasing his weight by 2 every other patch?

Since playing M2 after the 3.0 patch, I think I'd rather have him be even faster than have him weigh more.
I'd rather him be more like ZSS than like Bowser.

godogod

Smash Ace
Well to be fair.. He's a lot faster. And some of his moves are stronger overall. I wish they went back to his down tilt from smash 4. That and the hurt box issue would be perfect.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So...

Melee OG: 85
Smash4 (DLC): 72
Smash4 (patch): 74
Ultimate (launch): 77
Ultimate (3.0 patch): 79

They've increased his weight by 7 since he was released as DLC in 2015, but we're still 6 units lighter than his OG iteration in Melee.

I don't know, Joker weighs what, 91? Still makes no sense why Mewtwo is such a lightweight when he isn't really as offensively threatening or elusive as heavier fighters but maybe they're planning on slowly increasing his weight by 2 every other patch?

Since playing M2 after the 3.0 patch, I think I'd rather have him be even faster than have him weigh more.
I'd rather him be more like ZSS than like Bowser.
Yeah we’re moving up! And that’s real great. I do think that the patches are gonna make him heavier in the future yes.

Also, I hope they make his grabs more rewarding. Doesn’t make sense that Marth and Lucina have a U Throw almost as strong as ours. It should be Ness B Throw levels of strong.

And yes I do think I take more speed, or overall power, over weight at this point.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I think M2 mains are complaining when it’s time to celebrate. There are many weaker characters than him who received nerfs only, (Zelda, Villager, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, Dr.Mario and more). Mewtwo on the other hand received the most buffs out of any character in the patch. He still has a few issues, but he’s a solid character now. I’d say he’s a definite high tier. Look at what you have, not what you don’t have. And Mewtwo has plenty.

godogod

Smash Ace
Yeah we’re moving up! And that’s real great. I do think that the patches are gonna make him heavier in the future yes.

Also, I hope they make his grabs more rewarding. Doesn’t make sense that Marth and Lucina have a U Throw almost as strong as ours. It should be Ness B Throw levels of strong.

And yes I do think I take more speed, or overall power, over weight at this point.
I wouldn't count on it. They will strike a balance how they see fit. He will never be like his smash 4 and melee counterpart. Just something in between.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Late, but I'm in full support of this. I was okay with Mewtwo being a featherweight in 4 due to how good he was in that game post-buffs, but as far as Ultimate's concerned, I honestly don't think it'd make him too good if he was just a tad heavier. At the very least, if he's gonna have one of the beefiest hurtboxes in the game, he shouldn't be dying as early as ****ing Kirby. His Melee weight of 85 honestly seems just right for him; still on the light side, but not so light he dies if you sneeze too close to him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom