• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give me some high risk high reward characters.

MegaJoseph32123

Smash Cadet
Hrhr characters are really fun. I know of a few, but don't what all character classify as so. So, what are some charcters you think are high risk high reward?

Last edited:

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Ryu and Ken definitely seem to be on that scale of "high risk high reward"

Same with Roy, although he can definitely be played in a safe way with high reward. Got a good dynamic going there.
Can't think of anyone else after that

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Lucario has that going for him with aura probably the most likely to fit that archetype and little mac definitely has this because if he's off stage probably dead and every heavy cause they could get combod to oblivion with no warning

M2 Is God

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo may suit this category since he is a glass cannon. Other characters that suit this profile could include Ganondorf, Chrom, Bowser, and maybe Captain Falcon

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Could be argued for anyone with a strong stage presence but terrible recovery and not named Little Mac.

:ultroy::ultchrom::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultcloud::ultganondorf:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Honestly most of the characters in this game are super safe at doing everything. Pichu can rack up 80% on you in the blink of an eye or just die at 40 to a stray hit. But he can also be played pretty safely.

I guess basically any character who has an attack with crazy damage/KB but leaves them wide open if they miss could be considered high risk/reward. Charizard, Luigi, Ganondorf come to mind. Then you have the characters that have to take damage to raise their power level, e.g. Incineroar, Lucario. Or the RNG characters like G&W (Luigi fits here as well, I suppose). All of these guys can still be pretty safe when played optimally, though.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Ridley fits this quite well actually.

His down b, skewer, requires an excellent read on your opponent and inflicts 63 damage, coming out on frame 30. It also crumples them into a prone posture, allowing a tech chase follow-up. It’s an extremely satisfying, high risk high reward move that can easily 0 to death someone with good follow up reads on the tech chase. It zooms in on your opponent to shame them for getting hit by it as they get eviscerated by Ridley’s tail.

He also has a few other high commitment, rewarding moves that are extremely dangerous but risky to use. Side b, space pirate rush, grabs your opponent and tosses them off the stage and into the air as a command grab. It’s very punishable if you whiff, making it high risk, but if you get it off you basically just won neutral. It can also be used off stage to dunk opponents under the map if they elect to place themselves in your way.

Lastly, his off stage game is strong, allowing him to pursue and gimp other players while they’re off stage. This kind of play can easily close stocks extremely early, but is risky as you may end up dying if you mess up or if they gimp you instead.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
King Dedede fits this very well. He is slow, but his attacks are some of the most satisfying in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King Dedede fits this very well. He is slow, but his attacks are some of the most satisfying in the game.
There’s really no ‘risk’ in playing Dedede when you live up to 200%. He’s more of a troll character honestly.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
There’s really no ‘risk’ in playing Dedede when you live up to 200%. He’s more of a troll character honestly.
I disagree. There's a huge risk to playing Dedede. All of his speeds are some of the slowest in the game, and being the third heaviest fighter means he gets comboe'd easily. Because of all this he has very linear recover options that make him easily gimped (especially considering his enormous hurtbox) or otherwise killed offstage.

It also goes to mention that onstage he also suffers dearly. His fastest grounded move is frame 6 (d-tilt), and he lacks decent out of shield or spacing options that many other fighters have. Gordo, his only projectile, can be reflected when it takes a mere 2% damage (something I personally feel should be increased) and flies back at mach 5.

Unlike other heavies, Dedede has less of a holding center stage playstyle that other heavies do and more of a bait and punish/setups/mixups playstyle. This makes him probably the riskiest superheavy to play since it doesn't utilize his weight or hitbox sizes as much and leaves him even more open to attacks.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I mean most heavies can live to 200%. His side Smash and down B alone make him high risk and high reward because they are so hard to hit but they are so satisfying. He also has one of the trickiest projectiles in the game that can be reflected back to him with a jab. Dedede can potentially be riskier than Donkey Kong and Ganondorf. Yes he has better recovery than those two, but he is much harder to use effectively because he is slower and has weirder tools. I’m not saying that Ganon and DK are not high risk characters, but I think that they are kind of straight forward and easy to pick up. King Dedede takes a little more practice to get really good with in my opinion.

On a side note, I would also like to add :ultwiifittrainer:. She has some extremely weird hit boxes with her attacks and her Smash attacks have plenty of lag. She has some trouble getting combos started outside of her nair, especially on smaller opponents. Also, like Dedede, she has projectile that can be used against her easily. However, if you use her correctly, she has huge damage output and high kill power. She is capable of killing at as low as 60% with deep breathing. I don’t know if she is the best example, but she is someone that is not super easy to use but very satisfying if you know how to use her well.

Aquuds

Smash Cadet
This is irrelevant to the current discussion, but here are a few recommendations:
Pichu risk:dies VERY early. Reward: Insane combos, kill moves, recovery, mobility.
Captain Falcon risk: poor recovery, bad movement. Reward: good combos
Gannon
Warrio risk: bad recovery, little range. Reward: insane combos, waft setups

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:ultdoc: - Doc does amazing amounts of damage in small amounts of time and generally has no problem getting kills, however you have to play around his sluggishness and bad recovery or else you might find yourself getting speed-blitzed and then gimped at 40%.

:ultjigglypuff: - You can kill people at absurd percents with simple strings into Rest, but you yourself can also die at like, 60% from strong attacks, or even earlier if you whiff Rest, God forbid.

:ultroy: - Roy pretty much requires you to throw yourself at your opponent to achieve success. He has no problem racking up damage, but killing can be an issue as none of his sourspots can do this, meaning that you have to rely one of his many unsafe finishers.

:ultrichter::ultsimon: - If you’re good, you can keep your opponents at bay and pick them off with great ease, but one mistake or opening is all it takes because once you get in on Belmont, he has a tough time getting you off. Matches against this character are usually either very long or very short. A good choice for ruining friendships, too.

Last edited:

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
I can think of few that instantly came to mine but some of these could be a bit of a stretch so fill free to disagree with me or share opinions.

:ultganondorf: Ganondorf was the first character I thought of when you asked high risk and high reward. I think his gameplay essential revolves around applying mix-ups, intimidation, and if you guess right a massive reward. He is slow, combo food, can easily be pressured, and has a decent recovery, but not enough for him to go to the blast zone or recovery well vertically. What he does have however, high survivability, massive damage that scares anyone, and moves that conditions the opponents to make mistakes he wants to capitalize for big damage. But to do this, you need to establish control of the battle and opponent. this is where that high risk comes in. If the opponent guess right, Ganondorf can be punish or have to continue in the neutral, which is a bit better for him in this game, but still a bit of a challenge. If your looking for someone with that type, defiantly try him.

:ultjigglypuff: Jigglypuff can be consider a high risk character IMO. I like to think of her as glass canon in the sense that her offstage present and aerial game makes her a strong candidate, but her weight makes her at death percent's around 40 plus ( different factors ). Not to mention that breaking her shield result in instant death. Now, the main thing that ultimately makes a high risk is Rest. Rest can be hard to land but being on the receiving end is just as nerve racking. one slip up and you basically gave up a stock to the opponent. And if it doesn't kill you, you are left receive DOT damage. But, if she misses, your free to do whatever want to, which is scary because she can die by just a gust of wind alone. definitely a gamble when it come down to it. Feels like you have to play a near perfect game of control, spacing, and patience.

:ultlucario: Lucario thrives off taking risk. At low percents, he does little to no damage at all. But in a way, his combo and stringing potential is better ( Not always, I don't know a lot about Lucario ). His range is left to be desired at lower percents as well. But when he receives damage, you better watch your back. Everything about him becomes almost 2x stronger ( Aura does have a max limit from what I am aware of ). His range, his damage, his normal, his specials. Everything becomes so powerful. * most noticeably his aura sphere *. This makes him a killing machine at the cost of your own stock being in danger. You are still in tough spot even with this power. Yes, you can space better and killer harder at time but one mistake and you can be sent flying, he isn't as heavy as others. But a worthy trade if you ask me.

:ultlittlemac: I feel like you guys know where I am going with this. Little mac has the ground speed and damage to secure the stock, but he lacks good aerials and though his recovery options are better, its unfortunately not good enough to contend with others. This means he is easily one of the easiest character to gimp basically being able to kill him at almost any percent there is. If you can hang in the middle of the stage or avoid not going out of the board, I still feel like he is a decent pick. He has a great kill option in the K.O Punch and his attacks can armor through others with the right timing. His counter is also powerful so to me, it all comes down to playing a well balance of aggressiveness and defensiveness. If you really want, you can actually pick one or other but be careful not to let yourself stray too far off the stage. This could be more of a design choice for the character rather a means of making it a playstyle but I think Little Mac deserves a mention.

:ulticeclimbers: * ( Same thing can apply to Rosalina and Luma ) * I feel like this can be a bit of a stretch and maybe a bit biased from the point of view that this my main for years. But Ice Climbers rely on having both the duo with you in order to have full access to damage, desyncs ( not needed tbh ), and a good recovery. Having 2 characters can be difficult on the opponent but on the user as well. Keeping Nana or Popo alive especially against someone who knows the matchup well isn't as easy as it looks. Once your partner dies, you are left fighting alone with only half a character. Your damage is worse, your moves aren't as powerful, and your recovery is Little Mac tier. So your main objective really is to keep your teammate alive to have all the full benefits of being a dual character. Once you get it down thought, they can be very challenging to beat, especially one on one battles. It makes them challenging but soo fun to play as by many.

:ultryu::ultken: originally I didn't have these guys down but I thought I should add them because not only are they high risk characters, but they are simply also hard to use even. They are extremely short ranged and even in some situation out pace but some characters making it a bit harder on them. The new turn around animation in one on matches is brilliant and true to the characters, also having its perks, it can harm them too. trapping on ledge is easier but using Bair as a killing option or even as a way of conditioning is a bit harder. Their combos are tight and precise. They are hard to pull off but when you get them down and their movement options, these are really threatening characters. Again, a character I don't know much about, but from what I seen, they have the kit to be decent, it takes time. Mastery of their focus attack is key as it gives them landing options, a counter for series damage, and ability to absorb attacks because they can be easy to pressure, combo, and overall wall them out.

Overall those are the main examples that come to mind but I am sure there are more character in this game that can be considered high risk high reward characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom