• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give a huge applause for Doshin the Giant

Doshin for Smash 5?

• Total voters

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Give a huge applause for Doshin the Giant

The year was 1999, and the failed Nintendo 64 Disk Drive was on its way, and with it, the debut of Doshin the love giant. As it was a complete failure, Doshin had his redemption on the Gamecube, and the year was 2002. It was unfortunately only released in Japan and Europe. Hence the North American obscurity.
Who and What is Doshin?

Doshin the Giant was a god like simulator game, where you took control of Doshin, the reincarnation of the sun, sent to the island of Barudo to help the islanders living there. Doing their tasks of raising and lowering the island mass helped the islanders settle. This made the islanders love Doshin, which made him grow. Doshin is known as the “Love” giant. While everything seems to be good for the islanders, Doshin hid a dark secret within him. Doshin could transform into demon like figure, known as Jashin, who spawns a red skin colour, wings and claws. Jashin was refered to as the “Hate” giant, and could easily destroy islander’s lives. In contrast to Doshin, Jashin shrinks when he is fed with hate.
What could Doshin do?

Doshin is tall, but as the growth is only a gimmick in the games, this could be altered, and thus not be a problem. While that is said, he is very tall, and slim, but as the reincarnation of sun, he is very powerful, and that’s what I personally envision Doshin to be. As well as having his alter-ego, I take inspiration from Jashin into Doshin’s move-set, as an in-between, but not fully transformation.

Here is my take on some quick-thinking moves;​

B Special – Charge Slam.
Doshin charges both his hands, like Donkey’s side-smash, and release a hard-hitting blow to near opponents.​
Side B – Fire Ball Throw.

Using a Jashin move throwing a hard-hitting fire ball. Not like Mario’s light fire, this is a heavy fire blast attack.​

Up B – Devil Wings Punch.
Another one of Jashin’s moves, Doshin grows the wings and goes skyrocketing into the air. While having his hands up, so that they would hit anyone that’s being touched. As Doshin would be a heavy fighter, it will be slower, but more powerful.​
Down B – Kicks a giant rock.
As Charizard can suddenly spawn a rock for an attack, so could Doshin, and he will kick the rock or boulder that rolls forwards, or gets plunged to the air, depending on how long you hold.​

Side Smash – Smash a palm tree.

As we know, Doshin can raise land mass and lower it, creating life, and so with palm trees, I see this as he charges a swing with the palm tree.​
Up Smash – Jump Earthquake.
As Doshin charges a small jump, he lands a massive quake which will cause damage to nearby, but also stun/ground other with small range.​

Down Smash – Raise Land Charger.
Like Palutena’s staff, raising a beam to the sky, so does Doshin with the land masses, sky rocketing depending on how long it’s charged.​
Final Smash – Tsunami.

Time for Doshin to show its true power. Doshin grows incredibly big, and unleashes a drowning tsunami to the stage.​
Why should Doshin be in Smash?

First off, Doshin and Jashin both had a trophy back in Melee, but ever since then it has shortened off, unfortunately. While it’s true that Doshin might come off as quite obscure for North Americans, there is just some charm with him that really makes him sparkle with personality. The soundtrack to Doshin is good, and he has an alter-ego, a big tall lanky form, and with god-like powers. What more would you ask for? We have seen more crazier additions earlier like Game & Watch, R.O.B and now even the Duck Hunt Dog. While it might sound crazy, just think about the possibilities, and let’s go crazy together, for the love’ giant. He is basically the character you did not know that you wanted.

Become one of Doshin’s Islanders and support the love giant.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Now that a new Smash is confirmed, I will still make a shoutout for Doshin.
I still support the lovely giant. Even if it sounds so crazy. Crazier things have happened earlier in Smash.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yeah. I think Doshin could do well with a bit more love, no doubt.
I would not mind a stage at all, as anything Doshin related would be perfect to me.
If we do get a stage, there would be plenty of ways to be creative. Doshin can lower and rise the landmasses, so it could be a creative gimmick.

Hopefully, they are using assets from the 4th game to speed up the developement, and can focus on more obsucre parts of Nintendo's history, and would be the perfect oppertunity.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's awesome! Welcome aboard the island.

Added you both to the supportive list. :)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That's awesome! Welcome aboard the island.

Added you both to the supportive list. :)
I felt li ke making a thread for him like a year ago, but thought I was the only one who liked Doshin. Don't know how they'd pull it off, but it'd be a neat surprise.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I would not mind a stage at all, as anything Doshin related would be perfect to me.
If we do get a stage, there would be plenty of ways to be creative. Doshin can lower and rise the landmasses, so it could be a creative gimmick.
Yeah, Doshin in the background, altering the stage on the fly was exactly what I had in mind.
I linked to my draft in the second post, in fact.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's the thing! How? Still, the growth aspect is only part of the gimmick, he has a lot going for him. Compared to other big creatures like Bowser, Ridley, King K. Rool, Medusa, even Donkey Kong. Doshin grows on love, and shrinks on hate, so his size is not finalized.

I know Sakurai could pull it off. I just hope my theory about reused assets are true, for then they can finally look into the more obscure. Maybe we finally could get more crazy additions like Doshin, Lip from Panel De Pon, and whatnot.

ryuu seika ryuu seika . Yeah, there are plenty of creative ways of doing something about Doshin. I like it.

Last edited:

TheSeanMan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seanybobo2
3DS FC
2492-5096-7585
I was hoping someone would make this! I've barely played the game, yet I've always been oddly attached to seeing him in smash. Even back during smash 4. He DEFINITELY has my vote!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Welcome aboard. Happy to hear that you'd like to support our Love Giant.
There is just something about his charm, I understand that.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
How would he play exactly? I wouldn't mind seeing a super big, super slow, and super powerful character that takes sponge damage until really high percents. Maybe once he gets to that certain percent he starts receiving knockback his heart will break and he'll turn into Jashin? Would give him a recovery, and a little more speed.

Probably sounds ridiculous right?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
How would he play exactly? I wouldn't mind seeing a super big, super slow, and super powerful character that takes sponge damage until really high percents. Maybe once he gets to that certain percent he starts receiving knockback his heart will break and he'll turn into Jashin? Would give him a recovery, and a little more speed.

Probably sounds ridiculous right?
It's actually an interesting thought. And that's also something to imagine.

I always thought of a plain version for him, where size is not that important except for his Final Smash. As it would be easier... but, to be true to the character, I guess somehow it could be implemented with the damage ratio.

What if Doshin got a meter going like Little Mac, where when it reaches full, Doshin transform into Jashin for a moment of time, and you get to be powerful for a bit. How does that sound?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's actually an interesting thought. And that's also something to imagine.

I always thought of a plain version for him, where size is not that important except for his Final Smash. As it would be easier... but, to be true to the character, I guess somehow it could be implemented with the damage ratio.

What if Doshin got a meter going like Little Mac, where when it reaches full, Doshin transform into Jashin for a moment of time, and you get to be powerful for a bit. How does that sound?
Maybe, Jashin would make a good Final Smash too

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's true, I think it could work as well, but in my envision, I think the growth part is a better staple for his Final Smash.
And that the meter gauge goes like a "Hate Meter" and that either it's like Big Mac, or it could be that you basically play as Jashin until he is beated and fill up a "Love meter"? Haha, at least when I think of it, it's sounds really funny.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
If he's going to work like Little Mac then there's no need for a meter, he'll just gain his hate power slightly before 80% every time anyway. Plus, we could do with a few less unnecessary gimmicks this time around.

That aside, though, I would expect the two different meters to fill or drain based on whether or not Doshin is getting hit. Each hit (even if blocked) would mean more hate or less love, while time spent not taking hits would drain the hate meter and/or fill the love one.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
This is one of those really weird concepts I can actually see Sakurai taking an interest in. It's just so different

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I always thought Doshin would be a great addition, and one in which many fans of Smash Bros. would be genuinely confused and surprised, as Doshin is quite obscure.

If Sakurai could have him grow/shrink depending on the battle (ie: he shrinks with more attacks, as he's no longer being friendly), it would be such a unique dynamic.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Wonks Wonks Yes. I think that so too. He would be quite the "big" surprise, and maybe not the big surprise most would look forward too, but I know there would be some people loving this, and if Bayonetta is any indication, most newcomers will come around sooner than later for people, so, I know people would be fine with him, even the haters at some point.

Still, one could respect Doshin in the way that he is actually a Nintendo first party obscurity with unique potential. Also, it's not often that Europe gets their exclusive. As Doshin was JP and EU exclusive at the time.

Also, Wonks, added you to the supporter list, welcome aboard.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have wanted him.
Then his fully sized self and Ridley can be the same size.
And all will be well.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Haha, indeed, would not be a problem, there are plenty ways to corporate him into Smash.
Welcome aboard, DukeN.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
A while back I tried out Bomberman Kart on the PS2 and, while the game seems like a bad quality Mario Kart clone with some truly terrible design decisions (analogue accelerator), it did have one particularly novel feature. Instead of a turbo item, it simply gives the player a boost pad that they can throw infront of them and, if another player's quick enough, they can even piggyback on it.

So I got to thinking, what if that was permanent? What if you could alter racetrack elements on the fly? What if you could raise or lower the land at will to find shortcuts and mess with momentum?

And thus, the idea of "Doshin Driver", the Doshin the Giant spinoff party racer was born!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Haha, I think that would have been a wicked idea on it's own, but as Nintendo likes to do it, how about it implemented in a Doshin track for Mario Kart? The issue with it being a standalone is that there are not that many distinct characters in the Doshin series. It would have been Doshin, Jashin, the narrator and the different islanders.

As a Mario Kart track, where each time you play on it, you never know where it will be lowered and shrinked, that would make up for a chaotic, but interesting stage.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Throwing in my support! I'll admit, I've kinda wanted him since before Smash 4 but never put him on any wishlists... Hell, I toyed with the idea of making a Brawl mod moveset for him a few years ago or so

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Welcome aboard Angelglory Angelglory . Also, that's a pretty cool thing to do!
I'd love it if it was finished. I still play some Brawl Mod's and having a chance to play a modyfied moveset for Doshin would been so awesome! So, that's very much appreciated art concept you shared.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Haha, I think that would have been a wicked idea on it's own, but as Nintendo likes to do it, how about it implemented in a Doshin track for Mario Kart? The issue with it being a standalone is that there are not that many distinct characters in the Doshin series. It would have been Doshin, Jashin, the narrator and the different islanders.
As a Mario Kart track, where each time you play on it, you never know where it will be lowered and shrinked, that would make up for a chaotic, but interesting stage.
That would be cool but it would lose a lot of dynamic change potential that a standalone game where every player has access to Doshin's own abilities would present. Mario Kart doesn't really do the same level of object permanence that I'd like to see or let players control the stage.

Personally, I envisioned the cast being little more than Bomberman-esque hue shifts with shallow personalities tacked on but Jashin would probably be a big step up from generic red.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Fair enough. I could imagine it. It's a bizarre concept, but a very experimental one, no doubt. It's always fun when they actually try to go out of their comfort-zone to try out new things.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've always wanted some Doshin in Smash, but I'm not totally sold on playable, at least not just yet.
I think it'd be pretty cool to fight atop Doshin's arms and have him as a stage however. Watching him follow the action with his arms, occasionally flipping into Jashin to slam fighters between his giant hands before transforming back.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I linked my idea for a stage in the second post and that's what I'd want. Not Doshin as a platform or Jashin as a boss but the pair as an interactive stage element that alters the battlefield while you fight.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I linked my idea for a stage in the second post and that's what I'd want. Not Doshin as a platform or Jashin as a boss but the pair as an interactive stage element that alters the battlefield while you fight.
Quite interesting. Could work. Actually there are plenty of ways it could work.
I would love Doshin as an oddball inclusion, but I must say hope is more of a pipedream of course. Still, anything Doshin related will be me a pleasure.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Quick Updated:

Now that the forum has had its update, I can finally post photos without problems. So, the front page is updated with the photos right in.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, can anyone else imagine Doshin/Jashin being an Assist Trophy that helps you recover back to the stage? Like, if you get sent flying/falling down, Doshin catch you and bring you back safely, and if it's Jashin, he simply rains fire upon everyone in the match.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That could be pretty epic. Never thought of that.
Another way I could see Doshin implemented is making "Earthquakes" that might splash everyone who is not the summoner out of bounce as a "Shrink and Growth" power.

TheSeanMan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seanybobo2
3DS FC
2492-5096-7585
I come back to this thread every once in a while. Still my favorite "WTF" character, even though his chances are next to none. If we're lucky we may get an assist trophy, which would be pretty cool.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I come back to this thread every once in a while. Still my favorite "WTF" character, even though his chances are next to none. If we're lucky we may get an assist trophy, which would be pretty cool.
Glad to hear that. I think also that Doshin would be the best WTF choice. No one would expect it, but everyone would love it.
Also, with Ridley confirmed. I guess size is not an issue <3

I do agree that he is non existant as of now, but we could be surprised. Hence being eventually the best WTF choice.

Top Bottom