• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Giovanni wants to fight! - Giovanni Support Thread!

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Giovanni

62A86CA2-5F72-4FFB-8983-3B545FB895C3.png

Who is Giovanni?

Giovanni is the leader of the criminal organization known as Team Rocket (and later Team Rainbow Rocket). Team Rocket is a powerful underground organization dedicated to capturing powerful and rare Pokémon to take over the world, by any means necessary. Besides being the boss of one of the greatest criminal empires of the Pokémon universe, he is also the Gym Leader of Viridian City’s Gym in the Kanto Region.

04BD3E42-5A83-4DEC-A5A5-CC2A9D6DAC66.png

Why Giovanni?

Giovanni could represent the evil groups that are in every Pokémon game. Team Rocket is definitely the most recognizable villain group in all of Pokémon. Giovanni even managed to recruit all of the past villain group’s bosses (all of them from different universes) to his new organization in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Giovanni would finally give the Pokémon series an official villain in Smash and increase the amount of villains in the entire roster.

Giovanni continues to be relevant and popular in the Pokémon universe. He has continued to make many appearances in the main series games, spin-offs, the anime, etc.

Giovanni would give more representation to generation one. Even though generation one has the most representation in fighters, it would actually help the dlc packs make more money. Generation one is more well known and popular than any other generation out there by many. Pokémon Red, Green, and Blue are the best selling Pokémon games in the world. These are also the games, where Giovanni is the main villain.

Giovanni has been shirtless in the anime, so we could get more shirtless alts.

CF00321D-7F80-4672-9963-6D3DB4E16A1C.gif

What is Giovanni’s moveset?

Giovanni has a variety of options to choose from. He could have three Pokémon out like the Pokémon trainer or maybe just one like his Persian, Giovanni could even just grab a pair of boxing gloves and take out everyone faster than Little Mac. Giovanni is known for using ground type Pokémon for battle. Giovanni has used many Pokémon throughout the games that good make good candidates to join him in Smash.

EB93DFEA-65DD-40DD-B461-E1A9151FBC0C.jpeg

Meme by caramelbrony

If you all want to see an actual moveset example, I recommend checking out BrawlFan1’s Giovanni video below this message.

Conclusion:

Do you support the idea of Giovanni in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Welcome to the Giovanni Super Smash Bros Ultimate Support Thread!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I remember when I got called a troll for suggesting Giovanni when I was actually being sincere. o_o Giovanni would be a sick character and refreshing. I can actually see Giovanni as a stand alone without Pokemon. I totally agree with Gio using boxing gloves as one of his gimmicks.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Instant support!

I don't really want another pokemon character in the game. Unless it was a villain trainer!

I can easily picture his render in the battle loading screen.
Giovanni would be good ol' and brilliant in Smash. He'd grow on a lot of people and would come around to them as making sense. He can work with or without Pokemon. That's how brilliant he is.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Definitely support!
If you think about it, Smash has just about all of gaming's most iconic villains. The only ones I can think of that would need to be added to truly have that title are Eggman and Giovanni.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I support on the grounds of many of the points you made. Allow me to see if your suggestion is eligible to be put up for collection by the newcomer directory if you have not already.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm not entirely sold on him using characters so similar to each other.

I like his team from BW2.

If we're going for all ground, I'd rather have:

Rhydon (due to being his staple, and paying homage to the first pokemon designed).

Golem (no real reason, but his body shape could lend for some pretty fun moves)

And Marowak (for a a more agile variation of the ground types, and the bonemerang would be really cool too).

For his Final Smash maybe... He feeds Direct Hit to his Persian, before commanding it to use Fury Swipes?

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Since Team Rocket Grunts have already been a Mii fighter costume, I have come up with four options for Mii fighter costumes:
  1. Mii costumes for Jessie and James (full outfit) and meowth (hat).
  2. Team Rainbow Rocket Grunt costumes (full outfit)
  3. Mii costumes representing past leaders or grunts (full outfit).
  4. Some kind of combination of all of them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve always wanted a summoner style Pokémon character that has a mix of actually attacking themselves and using Pokémon for support and other attacks (like Yuna in Dissidia). I think the best fit for this concept is a main antagonist or evil team leader. I made a similar moveset for Lysandre years ago but Giovani, Lusamine, Jessie and James, or Guzma could also work well. Being the original villain, Giovani would be a good choice. I support.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
I have been thinking about what stage would come in a Giovanni Challenger Pack and I came up with three options that could suit him:

1. Viridian City Gym
20531A2C-B02C-4078-8989-04F3766F6184.png

2. A Team Rocket Hideout
66536ED6-14F6-49BB-968A-74893F5E5884.png

3. Team Rainbow Rocket’s Castle
FD7D28D9-7568-4FED-B2A4-CDCE4AFB05FC.jpeg

I would say the Viridian City Gym and Team Rainbow Rocket’s Castle would be the best options in my opinion. They both have their pros and cons for a stage spot. Giovanni is the Viridian City Gym leader which would make it a perfect stage representative for him. Team Rainbow Rocket’s Castle would also represent Giovanni and finally give the Pokémon Sun and Moon era a stage. What do you all think should be Giovanni’s stage?

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
I just saw that in InkThink’s newest video about adding a new character to every franchise in Smash, he picked Giovanni for Pokémon.
All thanks to a YouTuber called Thurmanation2011s for giving him the idea.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
He's in competition with many other popular picks.
True i personaly think that Pokemon by themselves are relativly generic
my top pics would be
Giovanni (duh)
Blue (red echo)
Gold (johto Trainer)
Pokemon Ranger (not the Trainer Class)
Pokemon explorers (from Pmd i never played them but it seems like a interesting idea)

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Last edited:
Top Bottom