• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimping

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
>implying smashwiki is meant to be taken seriously

And in Brawl, it's not uncommon to have characters surviving to 150+. So depending on the matchup, yes.
But as a general term, calling everything "gimps" is just silly. I definitely understand the percentiles being higher and such for Brawl, though.

Why isn't it meant to be taken seriously? The term "gimp" has been set in stone since 2003, and ever since 2009 or so, it seems as if Brawl players have changed that completely, if not the game they play.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^I like that idea.

One other thing I like doing to cover more bases is to do SH/FH facing backwards from onstage (important for gaining height while still keeping your double jump for adjusting/recovery in case you miss), mainly because recovering mid/low is covered by aerial b-reversed needles (if b-reversed)/FF bair, and recovering high just requires adjusting w/ double jump (I usually like bair just because a lot of characters have range advantages initially, and getting closer via fair usually allows them to react in time with their aerial). Covers a lot of bases on some characters imo.

edit: @Tree

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
I was just curious. I didn't mean to disrupt discussion. Sorry =[
It's just that the thread is so young. That kind of conversation can carry on later ^.-

^I like that idea.

One other thing I like doing to cover more bases is to do SH/FH facing backwards from onstage (important for gaining height while still keeping your double jump for adjusting/recovery in case you miss), mainly because recovering mid/low is covered by aerial b-reversed needles (if b-reversed)/FF bair, and recovering high just requires adjusting w/ double jump (I usually like bair just because a lot of characters have range advantages initially, and getting closer via fair usually allows them to react in time with their aerial). Covers a lot of bases on some characters imo.

edit: @Tree
Yeah, I see like every other Sheik doing using Bair as an edgeguarding move but me. Bad habit of mine lol. I'd probably have an easier time with TL if I did that more.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
The thing is the sweetspot on bair is really deceptively strong, kills actually pretty decently if somewhat fresh. That's why I switch off between keeping nair or bair as a "killing aerial" depending on the MU, because I like the utility of nair in some MUs, and the spacing/relative safety bair does in others.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
The thing is the sweetspot on bair is really deceptively strong, kills actually pretty decently if somewhat fresh. That's why I switch off between keeping nair or bair as a "killing aerial" depending on the MU, because I like the utility of nair in some MUs, and the spacing/relative safety bair does in others.
IMO is the best Sheik tool for gimping, because its a sex kick, it semi-spikes EFFECTIVELY, has ****ing insane range.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
semi-spike is when someone is sent > direction Exactly, like ganon side tilt.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
That's because it's not an actual horizontal angle, it's 361 degrees, or the "sakurai" angle.

Far too many moves use that angle... It's pretty annoying.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
A gimp is a kill by not allowing the opponent to recover back on the stage.

Yes, it is indeed premium membership that allowed me to sport this title :3

holyv

Smash Journeyman
So, i got some info on the falco phantasm stuff, check this out

The photo i got onto the flaco boards.

So technically, you can hurt falco on the beginning of the phantasm, dsmash would do a great job!

Note - GREAT TIMING required.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
LOL what the hell is that fail above me?

Anyways. i love needle sniping ( i try to just use one so they dont have time to think) when people recover low. I also like to punish Gdubs in particular with a needle snipe, grab the ledge and fair him for a stage spike when he tries to up B. Sames goes for Marth. Sometimes I run off to bait out an action, double jump back and tether to regain my DJ then go back out and punish them. I love doing this to characters who have subpar recoveries. I think jumping towards your opponent to see their recovery option early then tethering back to stage is a very sound way to gauge what is needed for the gimp being attempted.

Another thing I love to do is use a decayed bair so i can WoP them offstage then tether back. From there i either edgehog, retether to get some invincibility and attack or if i do have time, b-reverse needle. I really think decayed bair is pretty legit when trying to gimp particular characters.

As far as MK is concerned, if they plank I go for the ISSDI OS and bair stage spike. Or i bait the release of the ledge and grab at and attempt to use the invincibility frames to stage spike or WoP them. Or i bait out SL and fair. Sometimes due to the attempted gliding they may do if they are unaware u can outright punish them before they glide away or can glide attack they may DI poorly which will send them off at a low angle (you could also attempt a Usmash OoS but thats not gimping lol). From there i use sniping, ff aerial on nado, and edgehoging in an attempt to gimp.

Sheik is just so brilliant at gimping characters. If you know what options are available to your opponent, and what are the optimal recovery options given their aerial placement then you can score some solid gimps fairly easily with her. You just need go over character recovery options.

@Aisight: Might I make a suggestion? I think itd be good if in the OP you went over the entire cast and recovery options allotted to them. From there as a group we can all converse certain scenarios we can place our opponents in. Then you can speak about what we can do to get a successful gimp off.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
That's the one thing I don't like about bair... It isn't a great gimping tool when people start getting to higher percents because of how high you can DI it.

I've been loving watching all the cool needle glide stuff all you modern sheiks are doing :D

I don't really gimp that much I don't think most characters I play can get back pretty safe and it isn't worth losing my stage advantage or gaining damage bar the obvious given gimps tether gimps and stuff...

Top Bottom