• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimping

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Another serious discussion time!

This time, we'll focus on the best way to make up for Sheik's limited outright kill potential (besides tipped usmash) - edgeguard gimps!

We talk a lot about it, but there's rarely much chat about how to do this effectively. So let's get into the specifics.

IDEAS TO DISCUSS:
Characters recovering low
Characters recovering high
Tether recoveries
Falco Phantasm
Meta Knight
Aerials to use
Characters not worth trying to gimp

sheikamaru

jive
If theres an mk and they up b near the ledge leaving you to guess either stage or ledge, go for the ledge. all mks dont want to get punished after up b-ing so go for the ledge.you'll be surprised at the early stock lead.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
We should discuss this a few characters at a time, because there's a different way to gimp each character

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I don't bother gimping MK, I focus on punishing him when he returns to the stage. It's just too much risk to try. Maybe I'll throw a few needles at him if he's low.

Against the spacies if they're side-Bing level with the stage I needle them, tether the ledge, and wait for the Up-B and then snap it. Sometimes I'll sour-spot BAir/NAir them to get them a little further, especially with Fox.

For Snake I switch to Zelda the moment I hit him far enough. imo Zelda is far better at gimping Snake than Sheik, especially threatening him with lightning kicks when he's forced to cypher, Dins can be pretty useful to hit him doing a C4 recovery or when he's recovering high.

I'll post more later.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Lightning kicks gimp? What?

I used to needle spacies, but lately they've been quick enough to just hit side+B immediately afterward and get back anyway.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
One of my favorite edgeguarding stuffsies I like to to on people recovering low -> mid is run off, then time your double jump -> retreating nair back onto the stage (sorta like a Melee-esque edgeguard). The weak hit while rising allows for some good position too, and it's easier to capitalize on than needles sometimes, and it still covers a lot of their options. Fully charged needles (esp. aerial) are amazing sometimes too though. And of course, bair and fair are lovable as usual, fair giving that cool angle (sometimes you can trap the opponent in needles and angle yourself to do a double jump -> fair on the opponent, I don't know if that's guaranteed though), like what Izaw was doing in some of those matches. sweetspot bair if fresh has some really nasty initial knockback (think like aerial shuttle loop), and can net kills even at relatively low percents if the opponent is set up for it (usually from bthrow, since opponents like to DI high near the edge), I've seen it kill as early as 80% with this situation.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yes they do. They prevent Snake from returning to the stage, don't they?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
The Toe usually kills Snake, not gimps Snake.

I do like rising Nair, dropping fair-> rising fair/nair (height dependent), and sweet or sourspot bair mostly. I have to think about using needles more efficiently for edgeguarding vs nonspacing. How often do you guys jab phantasms?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It puts you up a stock.

If you'd rather complain about semantics and try and gimp him as Sheik rather than transform and take the stock, by all means be my guest.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you're wanting to wait until triple digits to land a kill instead of discussing methods of finding far earlier possibilities, be my guest.

As I said, there are some characters that cannot be gimped (or at least, not if the player isn't being ********). We're not discussing how to kill those ones.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ah, because of course Snake is impossible to gimp.

I mean, 7% heavy armour. Do any moves even do that much damage?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What? That doesn't even make sense. Armor reduces knockback, and is not directly based on damage.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Uh what? lol. I don't know where you get your facts from.

There are 3 main kinds of armour in the game. They either cancel all knockback because their prerequisite is met or don't.

Percentage based heavy armour, including Snake's 7% heavy armour on cypher, block all moves that do % equal to or higher than their armour threshold. Some moves that seem to do equal amounts but break it anyways is because completely fresh moves have a 5% bonus on damage, which goes into two decimal places.

Knockback based heavy armour, most notably on Yoshi's double jump, completely blocks all knockback from moves that don't reach a certain knockback threshold.

Super Armour blocks all knockback ever.

afaik windboxes ignore all armour.

Then again what do I know, I'm only working on my own mod of the game and need to know these things.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
...I'm going to interpret that as "equal to or lower" so it makes sense.

In which case, that leaves strong hits of uair, bair, and nair; dair; and the smashes. None of those have particularly helpful knockback for gimping, unless Snake decides to DI down.

I can see an early percent KO with Zelda's lightning dair, but you'd need Snake at a decently high percent to safely transform in the first place.

Either way it all supports not relying on a gimp KO against Snake (because edgeguarding has an intersect, but not all cases of edgeguarding are gimps).

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Oh lol typo, yeah you're right.

And idgaf about semantics. If it makes Snake dead then good outcome.

Judo777

Smash Master
I'm going to go ahead right now and define gimping as KOing your opponent off the bottom blast zone when they were recovering.

I feel this includes spikes and what regularly define as gimping but removes things like them getting hit with a SL that sent them too far away to recover in the first place.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I think we should throw needles are people recovering low since they are likely recovering low for a reason. A good needle could cause them to panic and we could follow with a fair or quick ledgegrab.

:phone:

Roller

Smash Legend
I agree with Billy, that we should discuss separate characters at a time.

But some general ideas, using needles to b-boost off the ledge then cancel them and proceed to double jump fair.

When people are recovering low, face towards the stage and fair them for a stage spike.

Stage spike pretty much always combos into a footstool.

Nice to meet you all I'm an aspiring Sheik Main, After playing Tutu so much I decided that I may as well pick her up.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
So... now that's: Judo, Ripple, Tutu, Kennispam, Roller and myself (Fino too?). So many MW Sheik players, goddamn.

Judo777

Smash Master
So... now that's: Judo, Ripple, Tutu, Kennispam, Roller and myself (Fino too?). So many MW Sheik players, goddamn.
I have said it once and will say it 100 times more. EVERYONE picks up sheik at some point. It's just the cool thing to do these days.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I play Sheik because she's the other half of one of my characters.

Also imo Sheik is reeeeeeeeeeally heavily underrated.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
LOL that'd've been way cooler if I didn't die to some stupid glitch.

sheikamaru

jive
lolol yea, nice work on that oli btw. so what was it? a random hitbox after oli up b/s or was it a purple pikman?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
He had a purple pikmin and it ended up being hidden behind him and still have an active hitbox for some reason.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
The falco phantasm is easy out-priorized by a smashattack.
Sheik has a very long hitbox on dsmash, the bubble will appear and he will be knocked back off the stage.

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
Needles do well against spacies, but they tend to catch on after a little while. I like to jump off and just kind of fall near the end of my chain length and watch if I can get a hit, and, if not, chain back.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Considering Sheik's strongest KO move doesn't actually KO most characters until the 100's, yes, getting a KO within 40-80% is easily a gimp.

Top Bottom