• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Giant Breadbug's Roster of Controversy and Humility

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
FULL ROSTER IN SHINY HIGH(ish) RES(50/54)

NOTEWORTHY FEATURES

-I would expect new third parties (Layton and Pac Man) to be announced beforehand despite being unlockable, like with Brawl, bringing the number of pre-revealed newcomers to 10.

-Furthermore, I would also not be surprised to see any previously cut returning characters (Mewtwo and Roy) to be announced before the games' release despite being unlockable, bringing the number of pre-revealed newcomers to 12 (just like Brawl).

-All Brawl veterans return. How idealistic of me.

-Fifteen total newcomers including returning cut veterans (Mewtwo and Roy).

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
awesome and entirely plausible - what's to disagree with? (maybe i'm just biased because you've got all six of my most wanted and a handful of others i'm interested in. who knows. :awesome:)

the only thing i will question is, why toadsworth? something about fighting a passive little toad doesn't sit well with me to begin with, but on top of that toadsworth is, like, a hundred.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I like this list, all except for Mii's and toadsworth. I mean, Mii's would work as long as they don't have custom stats. But toadsworth? He's a little mushroom who's like super old. I dont know maybeI need to think about this.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
There's some silly business going on with my connection and BB code. You aren't the first one to mention a problem, Zzuxon. I'll have to look into it.

As to Toadsworth, he's really interchangeable with Toad for me. I would be fine with one or the other, but I honestly prefer Toadsworth (thus why he appeared on the picture rather than regular ol' Toad). Lemme see if I can dust off this old discussion. *blows off dust*

For me, specific characters are just more fun than "regular" characters. Again, I have no gripe with regular Toad, but Toadsworth is just more fun to me. I often compare it to the difference between Bowser Jr. and the old Koopa Kids (the Baby Bowser-looking ones that typically appeared in spinoffs, not the Koopalings). Bowser Jr. has begun to take a larger supporting role as a Koopa, just as Toadsworth has as a Toad (admittedly, Toadsworth's appearances in titles is waning). Again, the counterpoint would be that Toadsworth doesn't appear as playable in any Mario games aside from the Baseball games. That's a good point. Another would be that Boshi appeared in Super Mario RPG, so he should be the playable Yoshi. This is a bad point. He appeared in a Square-developed spinoff. Once. Whereas Toad has appeared in a major Mario 3D platformer and several sports titles (mostly cameos and background appearances, admittedly), Aaaanywaaaays...

Really, I just like him more because he's basically the head of the Toads. He's regal, charming, funny, and he could work just like regular Toad would. Do I think he'll get in before a plain Toad? Probably not. But that's okay. Either way is fine with me, but Toadsworth is certainly more fine with me.

EDIIIIIIIIIIIT: Fix'd. I don't know why, but this post had been split into two separate pages. But now they've been merged into a single, glorious blog entry!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Needs moar Geno and Paper Mario, in place of the two shi weird characters in the bottom row.

But in all seriousness, save for those two missing dream chars, this roster would please me.

Edit: Maybe Magnus replacing the girl up top (Lip?) I don't know, not many people care for Magnus for some reason.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Decent roster save for Mona, Toadsworth, N, Lucario, Ghiraham, the extra Kirby character, the extra Fire Emblem character I didn't recognize, and Jill Dozer. That is my personal opinion but, overall, it's not a bad roster. I have seen much worse (Master Chief or Cloud always make my eyes bleed).

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I didn't read the post, looked at the pic and thought, mkay, I think we got a dreamer. Who the hell is next to Ganondorf? Is that like Riku or what? All I know is I liked Kingdom Hearts and that looks like RIku. Have a good timr and good night.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Riku = ... Ghirahim? @___@

Not even close! XDDD

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
They have silver hair. That means that that they are both anime and probably both have a sword. So tell me the difference mother ****er. :cool:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Neither are anime. XP

And one of them is faaaaar more fabulous~

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Decent roster save for Mona, Toadsworth, N, Lucario, Ghiraham, the extra Kirby character, the extra Fire Emblem character I didn't recognize, and Jill Dozer. That is my personal opinion but, overall, it's not a bad roster. I have seen much worse (Master Chief or Cloud always make my eyes bleed).
This loser didn't play Melee.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This loser didn't play Melee.
I am glad you gathered all that from my post......

If it's Roy, he looks a hell lot different then from Melee. Personally, if they included a third Fire Emblem character, I would prefer either Krom or Lyn.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
i don't like the miis, but it's not a deal-breaker. since i've already mentioned toadsworth, my only other argument would just be me being picky on the arrangement. i'd put some characters in different spots (i won't go into it unless you give the green light), but i'm entirely on-board with the roster itself.

would N be like a 5th generation version of Trainer? if so, what pokemon would he use?

i don't know anything about professor layton other than that he's the gentleman and that it's a puzzle game. how would he play?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Sage of Ice Please do give me any suggestions about arrangement. Really, I only arranged them like so because I either had to have 10 rows of 5 or 5 rows of 10 (unless I add a Random slot). Go ahead and suggest away.

As to N, he would work like a 5th gen Pokemon Trainer. However, I don't quite know what Pokemon he would use. I'm really trying to decide between the three popular flavor of the month Pokemon that people are talking about for him (Victini = Small, Zoroark = Medium, Genesect = Large), or just three generally popular Pokemon from the middle of the Dex. I would really like to see some more variety in the Pokemon choices (i.e. not legendaries or flavors of the month), so I tend to lean toward the latter. Of course, I don't at all expect it, but my personal picks would be Cubchoo, Scrafty, and Golurk (he'd have to be sized down, obviously). I pick these because they're all reasonably well-liked, they bring types that are completely new to the playable Pokemon scene (sans Scrafty's Fighting type), and they are indicative of the design style of 5th gen (this is perhaps a bit subjective).

As to Layton, he's a bit of a guilty pleasure when it comes to my roster. That's not to say that I think he won't make an appearance (actually, I think he's got decent chances). He oozes personality, and he'd be a really fun character. I would imagine his main moveset would be built around fencing (his go-to solution for when he's in a tough situation), which is one of the only ways I can think to design him without making him super gimmicky. He would be a tricky character that would be tough to read. I would imagine his specials would be the gimmicky parts of his moveset, using things from puzzles and such. I'd have to sit and think about a really specific moveset.

@Metal Yeah, I get that a lot. That's okay, though, because Toadsworth will hit you over the head with his cane.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

I think I'll just do Dojo-style updates on each of the characters, including movesets and my personal bit on each. For now, I'll just let you fester over how much you disagree with me. Yaaaay for opinions!
Let's see here...
I saw what you said about Toadsworth. I see that you'd be fine with Toad, so OK.
Mona... Sorry but Wario does not need another character. If you want that slot to be occupied by a mario spin-off, I reccomend Paper Mario.
One trainer is good enough. A second would take away from the cool factor of a playable PKMN Trainer. You should represent gen 5 with a Pokemon, preferably Victini.
Why does Zelda have 5 characters while Mario and PKMN don't? Also, Tingle takes priority over Ghirahim.
Star Fox absolutely should not get another new character. It does not deserve it. You should represent a new series. I'll list some reccommendations later.
Saki is an OK choice, but he should not get in over Isaac, Ray or Starfy.
Kirby should probably not get a new character, and if it does, it should be Bandanna Dee, Dark Matter or Whispy Woods.
Roy... not my favorite choice, but understandable.
Kid Icarus should not get a new character. 3 games does not make it sufficiently large to get multiple characters.
Jill... WHY? There are so many better choices for a misc. If you want to represent the handhelds, starfy and Isaac are many times better than Jill. Tom Nooks good.
In short, I think you should remove Mona, N, Krystal, Palutena, Jill, and Ghirahim if you won't add a 6th Zelda Character. Consider adding Paper Mario, Tingle, Victini, Dark Samus, Starfy, Isaac, Ray, Duck Hunt Dog, and Sheriff.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
ok, let's see...

i'd put roy between marth and ike, he was here first. toon link ought to be put after zelda, to keep zelda's good characters together. i'd also put the kirby characters after yoshi, samus and ridley after wolf, then ness, lucas, captain falcon, and saki where the kirby characters were. little mac is from a "retro" series that was recently revived, so i'd have him near pit and palutena (who also got the same treatment).

i really can't figure out any logical order to put the single characters like shulk or jill into. when i was sorting this out earlier, i tried placing them in chronological order by when their games came out, but that didn't really fit either. your guess is as good as mine, honestly.

and now for VISUAL AID

victini/zoroark/genesect would be BADASS for N. you don't fully comprehend how fast he'd become one of my main picks.

layton's cool. no issues here. but isn't he third-party?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Also, Tingle takes priority over Ghirahim.

On a more serious note, I'm not so sure we can verify our "Smash Brother Roster" sense, it's basically just comparing it to what we personally feel is best.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh dang, I didn't even read that part. You're right, that is way more hilarious. XD

Still think Tingle is not much better though.. we need major, likable characters, and preferably fight-y. Tinkle isn't any of those three! D: Though whether Sakura would do it... I don't know. He works in mysterious ways.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Let's see here...
I saw what you said about Toadsworth. I see that you'd be fine with Toad, so OK.

Mona... Sorry but Wario does not need another character. If you want that slot to be occupied by a mario spin-off, I reccomend Paper Mario.

I added Mona because I feel that Wario does need another (the best candidates are females). Be that Captain Syrup or a WarioWare character, Wario's various series have quite a following. As to Paper Mario, I must say I disagree. I absolutely love the Paper Mario series to death, but one thing I don't love is multiple versions of characters (the Link situation is different for obvious reasons). I'd love to see someone represent the Paper spinoffs, but not Mario. Give it to an original character that originated in the spinoffs rather than just having a million different versions of Mario. For me personally, the Wario universe should get someone before Paper Mario.

One trainer is good enough. A second would take away from the cool factor of a playable PKMN Trainer. You should represent gen 5 with a Pokemon, preferably Victini.

I chose N rather than a standalone 5th gen Pokemon because there are too many options for one. It is very possible that N is going to feature heavily in Black and White 2, so I chose him to represent 5th gen with whatever Pokemon he has. I've always said Pokemon reps in SSB need to be balanced between legendaries (Mewtwo, Victini, Genesect), flavor-of-the-months (Lucario, Zoroark), and popular middle-of-the-Dex Pokemon (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Charizard, Ivysaur), with the focus on the latter, since that's where the charm of the series comes from. I don't think N would detract from Red in any way, because the Pokemon would be different. Plus, it's a way to fit in as many 5th gen reps as possible. If you take a look at my post a bit before this, I outline which Pokemon I think would work for N.

Why does Zelda have 5 characters while Mario and PKMN don't? Also, Tingle takes priority over Ghirahim.

Honestly, the matter of Zelda only getting one newcomer is a combination of personal choice and what I've seen around the internet. Most think that we might not even get one, and even the folks who think we will aren't sure who. I disagree that Tingle takes priority over Ghirahim. Tingle's been in more games, but his role was never as well-liked as Ghirahim's in his one game. Again, Ghirahim > Tingle is a matter of personal preference.

Star Fox absolutely should not get another new character. It does not deserve it. You should represent a new series. I'll list some reccommendations later.

The more I think about this, the more I agree. I mainly included her to please the masses (I'd like to see Slippy, but that's apparently out of the question). I could see myself removing her for any number of characters that were close for me (Samurai Goroh comes to mine). Stay tuned for updates.

Saki is an OK choice, but he should not get in over Isaac, Ray or Starfy.

This is a matter of personal preference. I like Sin & Punishment more than Custom Robo or Starfy. It's close between Saki and Isaac for me, though.

Kirby should probably not get a new character, and if it does, it should be Bandanna Dee, Dark Matter or Whispy Woods.

Boop beep bop personal preference. I have to admit that the race between Bandanna Dee and Prince Fluff was close for me, but I just think Fluff can bring a really unique presence to Smash Bros. However, I flat out disagree that Dark Matter or Whispy Woods > Bandanna Dee or Prince Fluff.

Roy... not my favorite choice, but understandable.

I am not the most avid Fire Emblem fan, but I do like the games. I have to say that I don't know enough about the games to assert an opinion on who "should" get in, but I do know that Krom will be topical soon. Honestly I would take either, but I prefer Roy to get the veterans back in.

Kid Icarus should not get a new character. 3 games does not make it sufficiently large to get multiple characters.

This, I flat out disagree with. Nintendo is making huuuge efforts to market this game, and lots of resources have been poured into its development. Uprising is a huge presence, and the franchise deserves one (and only one, in my opinion). It isn't the size of the franchise, it's the way you use it. *winky face*

Jill... WHY? There are so many better choices for a misc. If you want to represent the handhelds, starfy and Isaac are many times better than Jill.

This is another personal preference thing, but I don't understand why you take such offence at my choice of Jill. It's a fantastic game, and she'd make an incredibly fun and unique character. I'm not trying to rep the handhelds, I'm trying to rep really good series that aren't necessarily in the limelight. For me personally, Jill > Isaac (not drastically less than, mind you) > Starfy.

Tom Nook's good.

Thank you muchly. The idea of an AC rep meets lots of resistance, surprisingly. Sakurai said AC characters aren't suited for fighting, but he's said stuff about characters before, and what he says and what he does aren't always consistent.

Replies in bold. Everything basically comes down to personal preference, as you'll see by the way I used the phrase a million times.

@Sage of Ice I very much like that arrangement. The placement of Jill and Saki and Nook is probably fine where you have it; there's just nowhere else to place them. Layton games are published by Nintendo in most regions except Japan, so he's a first party character here, but since Nintendo isn't directly involved with the development of Layton games (as far as I know), he'd likely be considered third party. He could be considered a weird in-betweener. Either way, his rights and whatnot won't be terribly difficult to negotiate, so I'm not sure how to classify him.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Layton is a third-party character. Who publishes a game doesn't necessarily mean they have any ownership of it. Nintendo used to have publishing rights to Ken Griffey Jr. games. Nintendo does not own Ken Griffey Jr.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Layton is a third-party character. Who publishes a game doesn't necessarily mean they have any ownership of it. Nintendo used to have publishing rights to Ken Griffey Jr. games. Nintendo does not own Ken Griffey Jr.
I know Layton is technically third party, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is trying to buy the property from Level 5, or at least get some sort of collaboration thing going on. That series is a huuuge cash cow.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Needs moar Impa. And some Anthony Higgs. And Dixie and Isaac. Then I'd be fine with it. Except for Toadsworth lol

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Needs moar Impa. And some Anthony Higgs. And Dixie and Isaac. Then I'd be fine with it. Except for Toadsworth lol
Impa --> Eh. I'm one of those who wants Sheik back. On the other hand, I wouldn't pitch a fit if Impa showed up instead. But Sheik first for me.

Manthony Higgs --> I do like Anthony. Really I do. To me, he doesn't have priority over anyone you see here though. He's certainly in the Runners Up list for this roster, but even then he might be kinda far down.

Dixie --> I just don't care for her. And that being the case, I recognize her (kinda) importance to the DKC franchise, so she's on the Runner's Up list as well. If I were to expand this list by 5 characters, I think she's one I'd put in. But still, she's just bleh to me.

Isaac --> This one was veeeery close. He would easily be one of the next three I add if I made this roster bigger. I may actually remove Krystal and add him. Probably.

Toadsworth --> Is awesome. Don't be jelly that he has a cane and other Toads don't.

fuyguy

Smash Rookie
For the most part awesome :)
BUT WHAT ABOUT WALUIGI!
but then again, thats just personal preference.
and i (personally) would replace mona with captain syrup
(also personal preference)
and the n idea seems really cool. he could use a zoroark to keep zoroark fans happy, and two other pokemon and him fs could involve the legendaries
anyway cool list :D

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think we ran into an immediate problem; you are representing things that aren't characters. For example, Mona Lisa doesn't represent anything but herself as a prospect playable character.

As for your roster, here is where I disagree on the characters you put in your roster (from left to right, top to bottom):
  • Toadworth: I don't mind Toad, but this choice is out of the blue.
  • Captain Syrup: Not many people know who she is, she doesn't seem to be that important to Wario, Sakurai isn't big on Wario Land, and there are much better choices IMHO.
  • N: I doubt N will appear in B&W2 or 3, and the 1 trainer is fine as is. We don't really want another.'
  • Ghirahim: He's basically Midna with a lesser role or Zant with the same role and no Midna. His chances are minimal.
  • Krystal: I think she's dead in the series. Her last "appearance" was literally Brawl, and her games haven't sold well by Star Fox standards before her existence. She also has a huge hate base. Add on to the fact there seem to be too many Space Animals, and the 3 we have are more important and well-liked/known. I think on the internet we tend to overrate Krystal compared to those not on the internet. Because quite frankly, not many Star Fox fans have even played any game Krystal is in.
  • Saki: I like Saki, but I'm low balling his chances. While he fits in, his games haven't sold well, and his series isn't big at all. It's sold maybe a few hundred thousand copies at best. Plus he doesn't seem as liked as other Brawl Assist Trophy characters like Issac and Little Mac, who by the way come from much bigger (and I'd argue better) franchise that are much more well-known.
  • The character next to Kirby: I think the 3 current Kirby characters are fine, and so does the rest of us, probably including Sakurai. NEXT!
  • Shulk: I don't think he's too likely at all. His game barely made it stateside. If we're talking a decade down the road maybe, but at this point in time unless Sakurai wants to go out of his way to promote a newer-ish franchise, I think he's got next to no shot.
  • Jill Dozer: I doubt this, but at least it's an original choice you made, it makes sense, and it truly is "WTF!?!?!?"
  • Tom Nook: I think we tend to overrate his chances. He's really a fun character, but he doesn't "feel" like a smash bros character to me... if you catch my drift.
  • Layton: Meah, not happening. 3rd party, not popular, and not random enough.

Here's where I disagree with the characters you didn't add:
  • Dixie Kong: How you added Captain Syrup over her is a mystery to me. Dixie Kong stared a game that sold very well, was almost in Brawl, and Sakurai seems to like her... a lot to almost add her alongside Diddy Kong in Brawl.
  • Zoroark/Victini (I'm leaning towards Victini): I think they'll get in over N. It's a lot easier to add one playable character than 3 or more. I doubt Game Freak would allow Sakurai to continue the smash bros franchise without a new Pokémon, either! :laugh:
  • Krom: I'm not going to argue he should get in over Roy or Ike. I'm just saying let's wait and see before throwing him in there. However, he is the only other true option for a Fire Emblem character that hasn't already been playable in a smash bros. game. Just keep him on your radar if he isn't already.
  • Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow: While I don't see either as a lock, both have decent chances in my estimation. Sakurai so far has show quite a bit of love for Samurai Goroh and he seems to be popular amongst F-Zero fans in the West, whereas Black Shadow is very popular in Japan.
  • Issac: Quite frankly, most of us will take him over Shulk (a character we know little or nothing about) or Saki (a character who most of us know nothing about outside of Brawl) any day. Plus, Golden Sun is awesome, and in the latest game, he grew an all-time great RPG beard!
  • Pac-Man would be a great 3rd party replacement for Layton. Plus, everybody knows Pac-Man, and he's been in Nintendo games before!

Here's some other stuff I'd like to add:
  • I don't think we'll get that many Mario characters. While characters don't represent anything truly except themselves (representation is done through trophies and stickers), I don't we will see 6 Mario franchise characters. I think we may get either Bower Jr. or Toad, but probably not both. IMO there is only a slim chance we get both.
  • As for Donkey Kong, if we got only 3 characters we'd probably get a ton of Donkey Kong-related stuff to "make up" for a lack of new stuff like Sakurai did for Metroid in Brawl. Extra music, stages (from the DKC games), trophies, stickers, assist trophy characters, etc. would probably be required.
  • Your assessment of characters in Fire Emblem characters seems perfect, even if the series isn't that big. That is because the series has many "main characters" because of different timelines/universes in the series, and games taking place in different eras. That is why I think Fire Emblem gets "extra" characters over the likes of Kid Icarus.

Also according to my math, your roster had 61 characters including transformations (assuming Zelda/Sheik, ZSS/Samus, & the PT is the same, and N has 3 Pokémon).

I doubt we'll even get 55 to be completely honest. I think 48-53 is the most accurate and "healthy" range of character roster size expectations... unless, of course, we get a crap ton of DLC characters or the game is in development for an absurdly long period of time; say 6 to like 8 years, which would be mind-blowing (and possibly skip a generation).

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Saki: I like Saki, but I'm low balling his chances. While he fits in, his games haven't sold well, and his series isn't big at all. It's sold maybe a few hundred thousand copies at best. Plus he doesn't seem as liked as other Brawl Assist Trophy characters like Issac and Little Mac, who by the way come from much bigger (and I'd argue better) franchise that are much more well-known.
He might not be as popular as Isaac and Little Mac (or iconic enough). However, I feel that Saki has a fairly strong fanbase, both in the West and Japan, and has the nostalgic value. As well, Sakurai seemed to like the character enough to add him into SSBB and noted how many fans wanted him included in the game. I would say Saki has a good enough chance to get into SSB4 as some of the ones you listed. As well, he could have a very unique and interesting move set that focuses on both long and short distance attacks.

Shulk: I don't think he's too likely at all. His game barely made it stateside. If we're talking a decade down the road maybe, but at this point in time unless Sakurai wants to go out of his way to promote a newer-ish franchise, I think he's got next to no shot.
Shulk may not be popular enough but, in my opinion, Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the best up and coming games that is produced by a Nintendo 1st party developer studio. I think it would actually be ridiculous not to promote the Xenoblade series in SSB due to the potential it has to become a flagship series as well as high quality Nintendo RPG (which Nintendo lacks). As for bringing it state side, some extremely well made games such as "Xenoblade" and "Last Story" never made it state side but I expect that to be due to licensing issues and such. But that never diminished the value of the games. IMHO, if Shulk does not make it, it would be a major dissapointment in not only Sakurai and his Team and in Nintendo in general for not including such a great new series.

Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow: While I don't see either as a lock, both have decent chances in my estimation. Sakurai so far has show quite a bit of love for Samurai Goroh and he seems to be popular amongst F-Zero fans in the West, whereas Black Shadow is very popular in Japan.
If Krystal is a dead character, I would say F-Zero is a bad franchise (sadly). While I would love to see a F-Zero rep, particularly a villain, I honestly don't think we will see one.

Those are just my two cents. Plus, I am a Saki and Shulk fan so I gotta defend my guys

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I think we ran into an immediate problem; you are representing things that aren't characters. For example, Mona Lisa doesn't represent anything but herself as a prospect playable character.

As for your roster, here is where I disagree on the characters you put in your roster (from left to right, top to bottom):
  • Toadworth: I don't mind Toad, but this choice is out of the blue.
  • Captain Syrup: Not many people know who she is, she doesn't seem to be that important to Wario, Sakurai isn't big on Wario Land, and there are much better choices IMHO.
  • N: I doubt N will appear in B&W2 or 3, and the 1 trainer is fine as is. We don't really want another.'
  • Ghirahim: He's basically Midna with a lesser role or Zant with the same role and no Midna. His chances are minimal.
  • Krystal: I think she's dead in the series. Her last "appearance" was literally Brawl, and her games haven't sold well by Star Fox standards before her existence. She also has a huge hate base. Add on to the fact there seem to be too many Space Animals, and the 3 we have are more important and well-liked/known. I think on the internet we tend to overrate Krystal compared to those not on the internet. Because quite frankly, not many Star Fox fans have even played any game Krystal is in.
  • Saki: I like Saki, but I'm low balling his chances. While he fits in, his games haven't sold well, and his series isn't big at all. It's sold maybe a few hundred thousand copies at best. Plus he doesn't seem as liked as other Brawl Assist Trophy characters like Issac and Little Mac, who by the way come from much bigger (and I'd argue better) franchise that are much more well-known.
  • The character next to Kirby: I think the 3 current Kirby characters are fine, and so does the rest of us, probably including Sakurai. NEXT!
  • Shulk: I don't think he's too likely at all. His game barely made it stateside. If we're talking a decade down the road maybe, but at this point in time unless Sakurai wants to go out of his way to promote a newer-ish franchise, I think he's got next to no shot.
  • Jill Dozer: I doubt this, but at least it's an original choice you made, it makes sense, and it truly is "WTF!?!?!?"
  • Tom Nook: I think we tend to overrate his chances. He's really a fun character, but he doesn't "feel" like a smash bros character to me... if you catch my drift.
  • Layton: Meah, not happening. 3rd party, not popular, and not random enough.

Here's where I disagree with the characters you didn't add:
  • Dixie Kong: How you added Captain Syrup over her is a mystery to me. Dixie Kong stared a game that sold very well, was almost in Brawl, and Sakurai seems to like her... a lot to almost add her alongside Diddy Kong in Brawl.
  • Zoroark/Victini (I'm leaning towards Victini): I think they'll get in over N. It's a lot easier to add one playable character than 3 or more. I doubt Game Freak would allow Sakurai to continue the smash bros franchise without a new Pokémon, either! :laugh:
  • Krom: I'm not going to argue he should get in over Roy or Ike. I'm just saying let's wait and see before throwing him in there. However, he is the only other true option for a Fire Emblem character that hasn't already been playable in a smash bros. game. Just keep him on your radar if he isn't already.
  • Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow: While I don't see either as a lock, both have decent chances in my estimation. Sakurai so far has show quite a bit of love for Samurai Goroh and he seems to be popular amongst F-Zero fans in the West, whereas Black Shadow is very popular in Japan.
  • Issac: Quite frankly, most of us will take him over Shulk (a character we know little or nothing about) or Saki (a character who most of us know nothing about outside of Brawl) any day. Plus, Golden Sun is awesome, and in the latest game, he grew an all-time great RPG beard!
  • Pac-Man would be a great 3rd party replacement for Layton. Plus, everybody knows Pac-Man, and he's been in Nintendo games before!

Here's some other stuff I'd like to add:
  • I don't think we'll get that many Mario characters. While characters don't represent anything truly except themselves (representation is done through trophies and stickers), I don't we will see 6 Mario franchise characters. I think we may get either Bower Jr. or Toad, but probably not both. IMO there is only a slim chance we get both.
  • As for Donkey Kong, if we got only 3 characters we'd probably get a ton of Donkey Kong-related stuff to "make up" for a lack of new stuff like Sakurai did for Metroid in Brawl. Extra music, stages (from the DKC games), trophies, stickers, assist trophy characters, etc. would probably be required.
  • Your assessment of characters in Fire Emblem characters seems perfect, even if the series isn't that big. That is because the series has many "main characters" because of different timelines/universes in the series, and games taking place in different eras. That is why I think Fire Emblem gets "extra" characters over the likes of Kid Icarus.

Also according to my math, your roster had 61 characters including transformations (assuming Zelda/Sheik, ZSS/Samus, & the PT is the same, and N has 3 Pokémon).

I doubt we'll even get 55 to be completely honest. I think 48-53 is the most accurate and "healthy" range of character roster size expectations... unless, of course, we get a crap ton of DLC characters or the game is in development for an absurdly long period of time; say 6 to like 8 years, which would be mind-blowing (and possibly skip a generation).
I'm a lazy replier, so I'll do do this really short and sweet:

My Stuff

Toadsworth - A fun alternative to Toad. Could do everything a Toad could, while standing out from the generic Toad crowd. I would also be fine with a regular ol' Toad, but I'd prefer Toadsworth.

Captain Syrup - That's Mona, silly. I like Syrup, too, though. But Mona is Wario's right hand gal in WarioWare, and I think there's a certain atmosphere of WarioWare that Wario didn't quite capture that could be personified by Mona. She's one of the ones I could most easily cut, though.

N - On the contrary, I think N will play a major super huge role in B&W 2. None of the Pokemon games before have had in-generation direct sequels, and this presents a neat opportunity for them to do some fun things with the plot. After you find all the Seven Sages in B&W (Ghetsis notwithstanding), Looker tells you that people have sighted N in a "far of region." That may just be dialogue, but it sounds to me like they're setting up N for future roles. Also, N is more than just another trainer. He's got a really touching backstory, and he is very representative of 5th gen. Plus, it's another way to feature as many Pokemon as possible.

Ghirahim - One-offs in the Zelda franchise admittedly haven't always stood the best chances, but hey, Sheik is still around. Ghirahim's popular and full of personality. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it in, though.

Krystal - You'll be happy to know that I've removed her and replaced her with Isaac (I just haven't got around to uploading the image yet). I don't really know why I included her in the first place; I think I just got used to hearing her name.

Saki - I mostly agree with what you've said, but I kept him in because he's not terribly far fetched, and I'd like to see more new series represented. Also, what Venus said up there.

Prince Fluff - This is a sore subject for me. I don't know if you've played Kirby's Epic Yarn, but the game oozes personality and it was well-received. I don't include Prince Fluff to rep the Kirby series, I add him because he's one of Nintendo's most original creations ever. He was actually supposed to star in his own game, but Nintendo shoved Kirby in the game thinking that it would sell better. I'm really hoping that Fluff will eventually get his own series.

Shulk - Perhaps not likely, but an interesting character if you ask me.

Jill - Game Freak made her game, and she was an AT in Brawl, so I'd put her chances a little lower than 50/50. She would be one of the most fun characters in the game, I think. Brilliant game, brilliant character.

Tom Nook - From what I've seen here, everyone detests the idea of an AC playable character. I don't quite understand why they don't "fit in with Smash," because Smash takes elements from all of its types of franchises (even with playable characters). I would say that an AC character is one of my most wanted.

Layton - The Professor Layton series has been one of the most successful franchises on the DS. It had sold 10 million worldwide as of October 2010. Professor Layton is insanely popular all over the world. Also, Level 5 and Nintendo are very close. Layton's creator has expressed interest in Layton being in Smash. Layton is so closely connected with Nintendo, many identify him with the DS. I don't know about his chances, but he does make sense.

Your Stuff

Dixie - I don't want to make you angry, but I just don't like her all that much (don't hit me). She's the best choice for a DKC character after K. Rool, but honestly she just doesn't seem to be terribly necessary. I mean, I've played DKC all my life, and I think she's a fine character and all, she doesn't top anyone I've listed (including Mona) in terms of my personal opinion. DKC is a great franchise; fantastic actually. It isn't, however, so big that it absolutely needs Dixie right now, if you ask me. That's only why I like Mona more, though. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Dixie showed up instead of Mona (not that I think Mona is terribly likely). I mean, I really like Mona more, but Dixie is naturally higher on the likelyometer. This roster was more of a lovechild of realism and a wishlist, hence Mona.

5th Gen Pokemon - I'm gonna sound like a butthole here, but I effing dislike Zoroark. Unfortunately for me, it's wildly popular in Japan. None of the legendary or flavor-of-the-month Pokemon really excite me in 5th gen. My idea for N was to have him control either 3 middle of the Dex Pokemon for some variety, or Victini, Zoroark, and Genesect. Either way, I'll just be a bit disappointed if we get a boring Pokemon like Zoroark or Victini for the 5th gen rep (boring to me, at least).

Krom - He is certainly on my radar. I mean, I leaned toward Roy because of his veteran status, but I do recognize that Krom is a factor.

F-Zero Newcomer This is one that's borderline for me. I agree that Goroh and Black Shadow are very close to being in. Again, this is a personal opinion deal. However the series has been long dormant, and it just feels to me like Sakurai doesn't want to add an F-Zero rep very badly.

Isaac - Replaced Krystal with him. Although I disagree that his franchise is bigger than S&P. When the original came out on the Virtual Console, the thing sold like hotcakes in the US. Anyways, he'll be on the updated roster. :D

Pac-Man - 3rd parties are a tossup. I won't comment on his chances since trying to predict 3rd party characters is almost impossible, but I'll just say that I like Layton more. I would be cool with Pac-Man, though.

New Mario Characters - I don't know that we will get six total Mario characters, but I certainly know that we should. One cannot understate how big Mario is. I mean, the series singlehandedly carried the 3DS through a very troubling time. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much interest in adding two more reps.

DKC Stuff - Like I said above, I don't think DKC is carrying so much weight that it necessitates Dixie right now, but I would agree that there should be a lot of content. At least 2 stages, I would think.

Total Characters - I think it's totes possible. I posted some reasoning behind it forever ago, but it's long lost now. Big team, plenty of time to develop, powerful system. I'd say between 50 and 55 would be the magic number.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He might not be as popular as Isaac and Little Mac (or iconic enough). However, I feel that Saki has a fairly strong fanbase, both in the West and Japan, and has the nostalgic value. As well, Sakurai seemed to like the character enough to add him into SSBB and noted how many fans wanted him included in the game. I would say Saki has a good enough chance to get into SSB4 as some of the ones you listed. As well, he could have a very unique and interesting move set that focuses on both long and short distance attacks.
Little Mac and Issac both have much more support and are way more well-known. Saki's fan base so far seems fairly small, and most of his fans know little about him or his games (and seem to only lightly support him).

Little Mac and Issac fans tend to support Little Mac and Issac in larger number, know a lot about both characters, and a lot about both of their franchises. As someone who would be happy with any of those 3 characters as playable characters in smash, that's also the category I fall in which each of those 3 characters.

On top of that, I think Issac and Little Mach could be just as unique as Saki. Thus the more popularity, more fan support, and larger series I think gives them the edge over Saki. That and their series' have more games.
Shulk may not be popular enough but, in my opinion, Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the best up and coming games that is produced by a Nintendo 1st party developer studio. I think it would actually be ridiculous not to promote the Xenoblade series in SSB due to the potential it has to become a flagship series as well as high quality Nintendo RPG (which Nintendo lacks). As for bringing it state side, some extremely well made games such as "Xenoblade" and "Last Story" never made it state side but I expect that to be due to licensing issues and such. But that never diminished the value of the games. IMHO, if Shulk does not make it, it would be a major dissapointment in not only Sakurai and his Team and in Nintendo in general for not including such a great new series.
I am personally looking for Xenoblade Chronicles. Still, it took a huge fan movement to get it stateside. The series will likely be have representation in smash. However, I doubt Shulk would get in over the likes of Little Mac, Takamaru, or Issac without Sakurai loving the prospect of Shulk way more than all 3 of them as playable smash bros characters. Also, Nintendo has plenty of high quality RPGs. The MOTHER, Pokémon, Fire Emblem (well strategy RPG), and Golden Sun franchises say "hi!"

Still, Shulk would be a neat character. The map ideas I've seen for said franchise are insanely cool.
If Krystal is a dead character, I would say F-Zero is a bad franchise (sadly). While I would love to see a F-Zero rep, particularly a villain, I honestly don't think we will see one.
Krystal is a dead character possibly because all of her games were seen negatively and didn't sell well. F-Zero, while never a huge seller, have always been well-loved by fans of the franchise. I can't think of a game in the series with negative reaction anywhere nearly as bad as what Star Fox Adventures, Assault, and Command got.

Plus the F-Zero series is such an underrated gem, and Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow just seem like characters made for smash. They just "work," ya' know=??? That and we already got 3 Star Fox series, which hasn't exactly outsold F-Zero by a ton. Both are still pretty minor franchises (selling way under 10 digit units total for each franchise).

I think it is more likely we won't get a F-Zero character not named Captain Falcon than we will, but Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow still got a solid shot.

Also, you raised some nice points. ;) :p

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Little Mac and Issac both have much more support and are way more well-known. Saki's fan base so far seems fairly small, and most of his fans know little about him or his games (and seem to only lightly support him).

Little Mac and Issac fans tend to support Little Mac and Issac in larger number, know a lot about both characters, and a lot about both of their franchises. As someone who would be happy with any of those 3 characters as playable characters in smash, that's also the category I fall in which each of those 3 characters.
Yeah, I agree. I would love to see Little Mac, Isaac, or Saki as playable characters. Preferably all three would be choice. I just feel Saki has a fairly strong fan base and a good chance to be in SSB4. I can see Saki play like this

I am personally looking for Xenoblade Chronicles. Still, it took a huge fan movement to get it stateside. The series will likely be have representation in smash. However, I doubt Shulk would get in over the likes of Little Mac, Takamaru, or Issac without Sakurai loving the prospect of Shulk way more than all 3 of them as playable smash bros characters. Also, Nintendo has plenty of high quality RPGs. The MOTHER, Pokémon, Fire Emblem (well strategy RPG), and Golden Sun franchises say "hi!"
Yeah, but it is the newest RPG from Nintendo and a new series to boot. I feel that Sakurai and his team should try to represent the series to garner more support for it. As well, I feel Xenoblade Chronicles fills the Final Fantasy niche without it being a blatant rip off.

Tell them I said "Hi" back.

Krystal is a dead character possibly because all of her games were seen negatively and didn't sell well. F-Zero, while never a huge seller, have always been well-loved by fans of the franchise. I can't think of a game in the series with negative reaction anywhere nearly as bad as what Star Fox Adventures, Assault, and Command got.
Personally I would like to see Krystal added because she would have a fairly unique move set and fighting style. There hasn't been a Staff user (of course depending they go with her Adventures model) in SSB and I can see her playing primarily mid-to-far range yet being primarily a physical fighter. However, I feel the only reason why Krystal has a fan base because she's 1) a female fox, 2) a female fox who has boobs, and 3) she is a female fox with boobs who can fight.

I started losing support for Krystal after Brawl so I don't really think she has much of a chance in SSB4.

Plus the F-Zero series is such an underrated gem, and Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow just seem like characters made for smash. They just "work," ya' know=??? That and we already got 3 Star Fox series, which hasn't exactly outsold F-Zero by a ton. Both are still pretty minor franchises (selling way under 10 digit units total for each franchise).

I think it is more likely we won't get a F-Zero character not named Captain Falcon than we will, but Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow still got a solid shot.
Personally, I am fine with it being just the Captain. While I do like Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow, I feel the Captain is the true rep of the F-Zero series. I wish they would release a new game for the series but, who knows. As for Star Fox vs F-Zero, I feel like Star Fox 64, while it's only best selling game, was one of the best games for the Nintendo 64. Maybe nostalgia is kicking in but I spent half of my youth playing that game.

As well, thank you for the nicknames. They are appreciated.

Top Bottom