• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting yourself out of a tournament slump

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Hi all,

Recently i've entered what seems to be a slump.

A couple of weeks ago I was doing pretty well. I'd just changed to maining Pikachu and was giving a lot of the top players a run for their money. But the following week and all consecutive weeks, I just can't seem to win any of my tournament games at all. I seem to lead by quite a large margin, and then completely lose it when trying to close out the game. I've also been having quite a few SDs with quick attack and mishaps with Rar Thunders (which usually don't occur). So currently i'm stuck in a bit of rut and am not sure what the best way to move forward is.

So my question to you is this:

How do you (personally) get yourself out of a slump? And what would you recommend for someone in my situation?

The Real Mr. M

Smash Rookie
Usually, if I feel like I'm in a slump, I just try to play more, especially with players at or over my skill level. I know that my ability is good enough to perform well in tournaments, and I just have to have the confidence to do so.

I would recommend that you don't let your losses get to you, and be confident in your ability to read others, and subsequently beat them. Try to focus as well as you can during your matches, and I think you'll get back to your winning ways.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Playing more and going to tournaments as much as possible definitely helps. Additionally, if you've got a lead that you feel like you're losing by making stupid mistakes, then slow down your play. Just play more patient and calm, and remind yourself that you've got as much time as you need to make it happen.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Thanks for the advice. I went to a tournament on Saturday and played pretty well! During friendlies I managed to beat a lot of higher placing players, but unfortunately flubbed in my last game and got eliminated :(
I think once I can overcome my bracket nerves, I can start placing higher. For now though, winning a lot of friendlies and getting complimented for my Pikachu is really helping my confidence!

Top Bottom