• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting used to button jumping

Danwrawn

Smash Rookie
Recently I learned that button jumping is better than tap jumping and that most competitive players use button jumping rather than tap jumping for multiple reasons.

I have decided to switch to button jumping, and I am finding it rather difficult to transition because of my muscle memory. I am willing to push through it though. From others who have also gone through this transition (hopefully there are some of you), how long does it take to get used to button jumping?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The only advice I can give you is to practice with it so your old muscle memory gets replaced with new one. Maybe play single player content to get used to the controls in a low stakes setting. It'll be a little frustrating at first but eventually it will start to feel natural. I switched controls back when I was still really new early in Smash 4 so I don't remember exactly how long it took but it wasn't too awful.

Personally I'm still getting used to using tilt stick rather then smash stick but I've almost got it down.
What is button jumping?
Using X, Y or whatever button you have set to jump instead of pressing up on the control stick.

Last edited:

Vierge

#1******
Switch FC
3850 4617 0606
you're making the right choice if you're going pro-ish

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Recently made the switch too. Am currently using the Pro Controller and have mapped jump on to the L trigger - having it on x or y doesn't really work on a pro controller for me. Had to make the change as I kept messing up Utilts but it's not been too hard to relearn in the longer term

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I had your same problem, but with adjusting to tilt sticking instead of smash sticking. It wasn't that it felt unnatural to use the manual directional + A button dual command in the heat of battle, it was always having to tell myself that flicking the C stick to insta-smash would result in a tilt now. It honestly took all of December just about for me to finally break the habit (I got the game on Dec 7), and I played against AI and humans locally. Everyone isn't the same and you may get used to your changes faster, but that's how long it took me to adjust to mine.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
For me I turned it off since the first time I started playing Smash 4. It was easy to me because actually, any other game use a button to jump instead of jump with Up, and use the Up to jump is that would be hard to adapt.

I actually even changed the jump buttons to A and B because I have the B button almost as a default button for jump since Super Mario World on the SNES, where B was the normal jump and A the rotatory jump.

So... My recomendation is... Play a lot of Super Mario World :)

Last edited:

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
I recently changed my jump button too, and it took about three days for me to adjust fully. Note that I primarily play online, and for about 2-3 hours per day. (give or take)

But some of the other suggestions sound like great ways to get used to it quickly; maybe run a few characters through classic mode or WoL.

Top Bottom