• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Out of the Corner/Off of the Ledge

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
Hey all!

It's been quite while since my last post, and I've come a long way since. I'm catching on to a lot of hinderances in my playstyle, and while they are mostly in my head/confidence, I've found one extreme problem in my play.

I really don't know how to get out of the corner or off of the ledge (ESPECIALLY IN THE MARTH DITTO [if you have specific knowledge for the marth ditto, please share :)])

I notice I always get punished for ledgedashing, so I've learned to buffer a roll in, as it's the most invincibility Marth will have when getting on stage (if that makes sense) but also becomes super obvious as to what I'm doing. I try to just no-impact land on sometimes, but they react too fast for me to gain center stage. I will sometimes take to the platforms but end up running into a nair when going for the top platform or just center stage, and if their punish game is good enough, get killed off of said nair.

If anyone at all can help me out with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated so I can start practicing asap. Thanks!

-Greasy

AirFair

Marth tho
For Marth in general, I would say that shielding should be your last resort as far as defensive option while cornered go, as you want to be able to move when you can. That being said, if an opponent is in your face, or you expect them to attack off of a movement forward, shielding is fine, as long as you can quickly wd out if they give you space/try to attack you. What you want the most however, is movement, making the most use of your dashes to see if you can get them to swing at you.

Getting out of the corner involves either moving through them or using platforms. As far as moving through them goes, wd into them is quite strong because you can get ASDI down if you are hit during the movement. If you are going to move through someone, have some idea of their responses to forward movement, and be sure of that. Using platforms doesn't mean making a mad dash for center, as both Marth's nair and fair can cover platforms easily. Using shield drops/platform drop fairs can help with this.

A neat little trick to use on platforms is to short hop, and then fall through the platform and fair. Using this, you can better control the drift as you head toward the ground, and people will often try and punish this and fail, giving you an opening.

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
For Marth in general, I would say that shielding should be your last resort as far as defensive option while cornered go, as you want to be able to move when you can. That being said, if an opponent is in your face, or you expect them to attack off of a movement forward, shielding is fine, as long as you can quickly wd out if they give you space/try to attack you. What you want the most however, is movement, making the most use of your dashes to see if you can get them to swing at you.

Getting out of the corner involves either moving through them or using platforms. As far as moving through them goes, wd into them is quite strong because you can get ASDI down if you are hit during the movement. If you are going to move through someone, have some idea of their responses to forward movement, and be sure of that. Using platforms doesn't mean making a mad dash for center, as both Marth's nair and fair can cover platforms easily. Using shield drops/platform drop fairs can help with this.

A neat little trick to use on platforms is to short hop, and then fall through the platform and fair. Using this, you can better control the drift as you head toward the ground, and people will often try and punish this and fail, giving you an opening.
Thanks a lot for this! I will definitely apply this to the next matches I play.

CarrierPig

Smash Rookie
I'm not great at this either but here's my 2 cents. As far as I can tell it's basically a mixup game.

There's a few options that can be very effective (as mixups) and I don't see used very often. I think adding these to more standard options like ledge hop fair/regular get up will probably get the best result.
1) ledge hop counter. you can usually get on the stage for free the first time you use this imo since nobody does it, but after that they'll probably catch on.
2) wave dash down -> fsmash. I see the Moon use this a lot and I think its very good.
3) faking getting off ledge aka ledge hopping high or hax dashing -> since most ppl are trying to react to you getting on stage, they'll probably whiff an attack and then you can take stage/punish.

Calais79

Smash Rookie
I know it should be super obvious, but you didn't mention it so i figured i would: try to mix in ledgehop fair and nair. That's usually my go to ledge option if I'm confidant they are anticipating a roll or ledgedash. The main thing is mixing up all your options, there is no one option that will always work. Hell, even mix in a tournament winner once or twice a set. I know its a "bad" option but as a result its rarely expected. But hey, I'm not good so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom