• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
When the Ballot was active. I literally voted every day religiously. Smash boards was definitely a haven for that obsession. Then when the time came for that last Direct I was so sure he would be in. It was honestly rough watching that last video. For me Banjo was my number one pick and he will remain my number one pick. I remember accepting the final picks but man did it hurt.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
When the Ballot was active. I literally voted every day religiously. Smash boards was definitely a haven for that obsession. Then when the time came for that last Direct I was so sure he would be in. It was honestly rough watching that last video. For me Banjo was my number one pick and he will remain my number one pick. I remember accepting the final picks but man did it hurt.
Dude, same! I was so stoked with that ballot idea and got so excited at the prospect of possibly having Banjo-Kazooie in the newest Smash. I think I voted for them at least five or six times, and got pretty disappointed when Bayonetta was announced as the ballot result (but no hard feelings with her, I think she's a cool addition). But hopefully they've been looking at those ballot votes and consider a lot of the popular viable characters for the Switch edition. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll see our beloved B-K finally make it in!

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
I'd rather they go meta and choose a movie character. Goldeneye was developed by Rare, so maybe James Bond?

I'm not saying I don't support Banjo and Kazooie (I believe Smash Bros. should strive for upwards of 100 characters), but back when the Smash 4 ballot was a thing, I voted for the Incredible Hulk, for goodness' sake. (Or maybe it was Tetris. One or the other.)
Pretty much every blockbuster movie series except Jason Bourne has had a Nintendo game. Vader, Iron Man, and Batman all have the same amount of possibility (almost none but still some), and who wouldn't want them battling Mario?

Okay, back to the topic at hand.
I've never played Banjo-Kazooie, but I haven't played Goldeneye and I still want James Bond. I don't watch DragonBall Z and I still un-ironically want Goku. Banjo-Kazooie seems like a fun series, and I'll play it eventually. The characters seem like a good fit for the crazy, weird, wacky world of Super Smash Bros.. Give me those characters, and Sma5h might be the game to beat Brawl as the best video game of all time.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd rather they go meta and choose a movie character. Goldeneye was developed by Rare, so maybe James Bond?

I'm not saying I don't support Banjo and Kazooie (I believe Smash Bros. should strive for upwards of 100 characters), but back when the Smash 4 ballot was a thing, I voted for the Incredible Hulk, for goodness' sake. (Or maybe it was Tetris. One or the other.)
Pretty much every blockbuster movie series except Jason Bourne has had a Nintendo game. Vader, Iron Man, and Batman all have the same amount of possibility (almost none but still some), and who wouldn't want them battling Mario?

Okay, back to the topic at hand.
I've never played Banjo-Kazooie, but I haven't played Goldeneye and I still want James Bond. I don't watch DragonBall Z and I still un-ironically want Goku. Banjo-Kazooie seems like a fun series, and I'll play it eventually. The characters seem like a good fit for the crazy, weird, wacky world of Super Smash Bros.. Give me those characters, and Sma5h might be the game to beat Brawl as the best video game of all time.
That ship has sailed long ago and part of me believes that the style he would have incorporated for James Bond was already used for Snake, at least to some extent. If they go with a Rare owned character, it could only be Banjo. The saddest part is I genuinely believe Goku is more likely than Banjo and Kazooie...

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I wouldn't want them battling Mario. I absolutely HATE the idea of movie characters.

I'm getting the feeling that this is supposed to be a troll or April Fool's post because no one can seriously be so insanely deluded to think that movie characters are at all a possibility in Smash.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Banjo has the same potential issues most 3rd parties have which would come down to contractual negotiations and Licensing agreements. Even if a company president is interested in something there is still a lot of red tape to go through with that kind of thing.

Though I would still say Microsoft and Nintendo are more likely to work together well compared to Sony just because Microsoft HAS worked with Nintendo successfully in the past with things such as portable titles and the whole thing with Minecraft, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Microsoft is simply more likely to 'play nice' with others if they think it will benefit them in the long run.

Morbi

Scavenger
Banjo has the same potential issues most 3rd parties have which would come down to contractual negotiations and Licensing agreements. Even if a company president is interested in something there is still a lot of red tape to go through with that kind of thing.

Though I would still say Microsoft and Nintendo are more likely to work together well compared to Sony just because Microsoft HAS worked with Nintendo successfully in the past with things such as portable titles and the whole thing with Minecraft, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Microsoft is simply more likely to 'play nice' with others if they think it will benefit them in the long run.
Again, they are shifting more towards software, rather than hardware when it comes to gaming, obviously, as a lot of their exclusives are on PC and the consoles they are focusing on are clearly about power. So the whole direct competition argument more or less falls flat to anyone paying attention. The inherent issue is, I doubt Nintendo is paying attention.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
Do you think Banjo will make it on the initial release for Switch or become a DLC after release?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I'd love him to be in the base game, but the way Spencer responded with "yep" makes me think no work was made toward getting Banjo into Smash Bros on Switch. Yeah, it's possible he's just under NDA, but Nintendo likely shot the idea down/never even met up with M$.

Now, demand was very high back during the Ballot days, I even saw some japanese Miiverse posts with Banjo in them, so maybe Nintendo will take a second look at the opportunity for this games DLC. I think the case here is that if Banjo was in the base game, they'd probably have to split royalties with M$ on all game sales. If Banjo were DLC, royalties would only be split on the character sales (I think? Maybe I'm wrong here). I would absolutely love to be wrong here, but I think at this point in time, the best (and only) way for Banjo to get in the game would be DLC.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Honestly there's no real way to tell whether Banjo is in the base or as DLC. If I had to guess I'd say DLC as Sakurai would probably rather focus on first party content for the base game. Still Banjo was a first party title once so that distinction might make Sakurai or him in the base but as of now the safest bet is DLC

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
As long as they are playable in some capacity, whether base or DLC, it doesn't matter to me! Just a chance to have them alongside old Nintendo icons again would be enough to make me happy eternally. Especially for a Smash Bros. you can take on the go. And speaking of third party characters, I hope if this is an enhanced port or something, that'll mean they'll bring back most if not all the third party reps like Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I feel bad for Kazooie. So often people just talk about Banjo as if Banjo & Kazooie aren't an equal team.

I don't feel Minecraft deserves to be represented just because it got ported to the Switch. There are better 1st Party and 3rd Party than Minecraft.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
It does make sense if you pretend that they are direct competitors which is what everyone here believes for whatever reason that they cannot explain without being overly ambiguous.
Let's not pretend that being console competitors is that much different from being genre competitors. Sonic is still Mario's direct rival in terms of genre. If Nintendo is willing to support Sonic why not Banjo & Kazooie?

Nintendo barely even considers Sony or Microsoft to be real competitors anyway. They don't really involve themselves in the "Console War". If Microsoft can make a deal to get Minecraft on the Switch then they aren't hardcore against each other.

Morbi

Scavenger
Let's not pretend that being console competitors is that much different from being genre competitors. Sonic is still Mario's direct rival in terms of genre. If Nintendo is willing to support Sonic why not Banjo & Kazooie?

Nintendo barely even considers Sony or Microsoft to be real competitors anyway. They don't really involve themselves in the "Console War". If Microsoft can make a deal to get Minecraft on the Switch then they aren't hardcore against each other.
I know, right? I do not have that answer. I cannot even begin to put myself in the shoes of Nintendo. They basically have no idea how to conduct business but keep striking gold because they, at the very least, understand the casual market much better than modern publishers who are too busy trying to monetize or create games as a service.

The only thing I know is that Banjo is up for grabs and there is minimal red-tape. I can only guess what Nintendo will do, which is ignore that golden opportunity.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think the fact that Sonic, Ryu, Bayonetta, and Cloud all got into Smash negates almost every rule this community has established barring anime or movie characters. Especially in Cloud's case. I actually think Banjo and Kazooie have a good shot in the DLC run if it's anything like last time. They have an established history with Nintendo, Phil Spencer has stated he's open to it, and console exclusivity has been proven to not matter if the character is iconic and popular enough. I dunno if B&K have quite the fanbase push that characters like Cloud and Bayonetta had, but they are certainly iconic enough imo and have history on Nintendo consoles.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Just letting everybody know that 2018 is the 20th anniversary of the original Banjo-Kazooie game.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Just letting everybody know that 2018 is the 20th anniversary of the original Banjo-Kazooie game.
Yep, and officially its been ten years since they've been in an official game with Nuts n' Bolts! That is criminal, lol, if they don't get in Smash for whatever dumb reason, they at least deserve a new game. That's my big thing, I don't mind if they don't get into Smash since, yeah, Microsoft owns them. I get that. What I don't get is why they aren't DOING ANYTHING with them other than make a skin for them in Minecraft and having them race with Sonic? So either put them in Smash or give them a new game, preferably a platformer sequel to Tooie. Having them fade into obscurity is blasphemous and they deserve to at least have a new game, if not a place in Smash.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think the fact that Sonic, Ryu, Bayonetta, and Cloud all got into Smash negates almost every rule this community has established barring anime or movie characters. Especially in Cloud's case. I actually think Banjo and Kazooie have a good shot in the DLC run if it's anything like last time. They have an established history with Nintendo, Phil Spencer has stated he's open to it, and console exclusivity has been proven to not matter if the character is iconic and popular enough. I dunno if B&K have quite the fanbase push that characters like Cloud and Bayonetta had, but they are certainly iconic enough imo and have history on Nintendo consoles.
If the Banjo and Kazooie fan-base does not have as much push as the pre-Smash Bayonetta community, we do not even deserve our character in, to be quite honest. That being said, I agree, if Banjo happens, it is going to be DLC. Which honestly does not make a lot of sense to me. The type of character he is implies more of a base game character. But whatever.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I've been skeptical about Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash ever since the Microsoft buyout years ago, but Phil Spencer saying he'd be up for it made me have a change of heart. Whether in the base game or as DLC, bring on the bear and bird! We've had wilder choices, after all! (namely Cloud)

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I believe that Banjo & Kazooie deserve to be in Smash Bros far more than Cloud, Crash, or Spyro.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Do you think Banjo will make it on the initial release for Switch or become a DLC after release?
Almost 100% DLC if he even makes it. I don't think Nintendo would really add a character that hasn't been on a Nintendo system for ages (much less a game to begin with), unless it is popular fan request.

However, if Microsoft a okay a Banjo collection for Switch much like what Crash did, I would say he might have a pretty good chance.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
All these Remastered games out/on the way. Makes me want Banjo back so bad.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
An HD remaster of the first 2 Banjo games would push me to buy an Xbox One. I don't think they're quite likely anytime soon though, since Rare Replay exists. It's a real shame too, Microsoft has the potential to turn Bnajo into the Mario of the Xbox, but they haven't put him to use in over a decade now.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
An HD remaster of the first 2 Banjo games would push me to buy an Xbox One. I don't think they're quite likely anytime soon though, since Rare Replay exists. It's a real shame too, Microsoft has the potential to turn Bnajo into the Mario of the Xbox, but they haven't put him to use in over a decade now.
Why make platformers when you can work with the Kinnect? Or make terrible pirate games?

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Why make platformers when you can work with the Kinnect?
Hell, I don't even think they need Rare anymore to make the game. Wasn't Killer Instinct 3 fairly successful? That wasn't made by Rare. Yooka Laylee may haven't lived up to the hype, but with the success of Mario, Crash, A Hat in Time and now the announcement of Spyro I just gotta wonder if Microsoft is kicking themselves for not investing in the 3D platformer revival yet. Surely some other studio could do a faithful job with Banjo, they just need to find people that love the games as much as the fans.

Or make terrible pirate games?
Yikes, was Sea of Thieves actually that bad? I haven't paid much attention to Xbox news since the 360 days.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Hell, I don't even think they need Rare anymore to make the game. Wasn't Killer Instinct 3 fairly successful? That wasn't made by Rare. Yooka Laylee may haven't lived up to the hype, but with the success of Mario, Crash, A Hat in Time and now the announcement of Spyro I just gotta wonder if Microsoft is kicking themselves for not investing in the 3D platformer revival yet. Surely some other studio could do a faithful job with Banjo, they just need to find people that love the games as much as the fans.

Yikes, was Sea of Thieves actually that bad? I haven't paid much attention to Xbox news since the 360 days.
Yooka Laylee was good. A lot of people wrote if off for feeling like a 90's game.... but that's exactly what they said they were making. I do hate it when companies give me exactly what I paid for. It's not flawless no but it a good successor to Banjo-Kazooie.
As for Sea of Thieves I haven't played it either but people have called it the No Man's Sky of the Sea. I'm guessing it isn't all that good from that nickname.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Angry Joe argued No Man's Sky has more content. Game has loads of lovely details and good graphics, but falls flat in term of things to do and no real incentives to play other of cosmetic.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Angry Joe argued No Man's Sky has more content. Game has loads of lovely details and good graphics, but falls flat in term of things to do and no real incentives to play other of cosmetic.
Makes me wonder why the game took years to come out

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I actually got 100% in Yooka Laylee. Thought it was mediocre. This is also coming from someone who has 100%'d BK several times and still isn't tired of it. I thought the level design and writing weren't quite up to the quality of BK or BT, but I'm not hyping it up to be the worst game ever or something. I think Playtonic can learn a lot from Mario Odyssey, a game that I feel is basically Banjo Kazooie without a Hub world. But, I'm glad that a good chunk of people did like it, and I hope the old Rare guys can get fully back into the game scene like they were in the 90s.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
-Sea of Thieves is a great game at its core, it's just VERY, VERY thin.

-Yooka Laylee is awesome.

-If Banjo is in Smash I think he makes more sense for the base game.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Excuse this potentially stupid question, but how likely or feasible is it for Nintendo to buy Banjo & Kazooie back?

Top Bottom