• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
It's crazy we're living in a time where Crash freakin' Bandicoot feels more likely than Banjo-Kazooie. Heck, it's crazy that Banjo has a shot at all considering Microsoft owns him.

Here's hoping though! Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite game of all time. Work some magic, Phil Spencer!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
All we can do is hope.

If he did get in, I wonder what he'd sound like? Just re-use his 64 voice clips?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I want this to happen so bad... C'mon Samurai.

All we can do is hope.

If he did get in, I wonder what he'd sound like? Just re-use his 64 voice clips?
They can always get Chris Sutherland back to add some new clips if necessary!

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Aside from Master Chief being Microsoft’s homeboy and pretty much being more of a gaming icon than Banjo sadly these days, I’d say your better option is to support Yooka Laylee.... or Playtonic or Nintendo getting funds to get Banjo’s IP back.

I know YL got mixed reception upon release but at least that’s where the true members of Rare are now.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Aside from Master Chief being Microsoft’s homeboy and pretty much being more of a gaming icon than Banjo sadly these days, I’d say your better option is to support Yooka Laylee.... or Playtonic or Nintendo getting funds to get Banjo’s IP back.

I know YL got mixed reception upon release but at least that’s where the true members of Rare are now.
Not saying I think it will happen... But Microsoft are certainly all for it, as are the Smash fans... It's up to Sakurai now.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace

Banjo & Kazooie still has a pretty good chance of appearing. I'd say higher than Yooka & Laylee. Last time this was brought up was during the last Smash Bros which we learned that Microsoft saw no issue with working with Nintendo. I doubt anything has changed.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Just because Phil Spencer approves doesn't mean Nintendo is that likely to co-operate with direct competitors, let alone ones that OWN the IP. The Minecraft thing is a sketchy case considering MS, despite buying Mojang, allowed the game to still be ported to other systems.

Then again, it would seem Nintendo themselves seems to be trying to official bury the console war hatchet once and for all, but I'd still say like it or not: Master Chief would be more likely considering companies will usually use their most well-known IP as their main third party candidate first. Granted... We could have both, you may never know.

No I'm not promoting Master Chief or just coming in here to **** on Banjo, I'm just saying some people really over-exaggerate how "likely" Banjo would be.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Just because Phil Spencer approves doesn't mean Nintendo is that likely to co-operate with direct competitors, let alone ones that OWN the IP. The Minecraft thing is a sketchy case considering MS, despite buying Mojang, allowed the game to still be ported to other systems.

Then again, it would seem Nintendo themselves seems to be trying to official bury the console war hatchet once and for all, but I'd still say like it or not: Master Chief would be more likely considering companies will usually use their most well-known IP as their main third party candidate first. Granted... We could have both, you may never know.

No I'm not promoting Master Chief or just coming in here to **** on Banjo, I'm just saying some people really over-exaggerate how "likely" Banjo would be.
How does Master Chief a character who has never appeared on a Nintendo console have a greater chance than a former 3rd party Nintendo character? Especially when Banjo & Kazooie were already (for the most part) approved by the owner of the IP. Yes, Nintendo would have to agree but why would Nintendo instead change which character they request when Banjo & Kazooie have far more support by fans?

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
How does Master Chief a character who has never appeared on a Nintendo console have a greater chance than a former 3rd party Nintendo character? Especially when Banjo & Kazooie were already (for the most part) approved by the owner of the IP. Yes, Nintendo would have to agree but why would Nintendo instead change which character they request when Banjo & Kazooie have far more support by fans?
They even were 2nd party characters/games. B-K/Diddy (true Rare characters back then) were all over Nintendo promotion material alongside with Nintys own characters.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
They even were 2nd party characters/games. B-K/Diddy (true Rare characters back then) were all over Nintendo promotion material alongside with Nintys own characters.
That was still BEFORE the Microsoft buy-out. Considering Banjo isn't in the hands of Nintendo anymore, I don't even think they'd even care at this point sad to say if they can't give him a proper new entry. He's more or less fourth-party now.

Not to sound like I'm trolling but aside from being ridiculously requested since the Brawl days (yes, people were kind of dumb back then) there's also the fact that he's not just MS's baby - But pretty much a gaming icon like Mario at this point. I'm not saying he's MUCH more likely but he certainly does have a slight inch chance over ol' Banjo sad to say. Banjo Kazooie is a cult-classic 3D platformer, sure. But you'll also have to go up against the millions of fanboys who praise Super Mario 64 and chances are, people are more likely going to see that game as more important.

EDIT: Before you flame me, I updated this to be a little more clear.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
"4th party"... That's not a thing.

Banjo and Mario... They must meet again!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I want this to happen so bad... C'mon Samurai.

They can always get Chris Sutherland back to add some new clips if necessary!
I don't think it would be that hard to find a new Voice Over artist. Banjo didnt actually speak all that much.

But then again, they'd probably just give him ****ing bear noises.

That was still BEFORE the Microsoft buy-out. Considering Banjo isn't in the hands of Nintendo anymore, I don't even think they'd even care at this point sad to say if they can't give him a proper new entry. He's more or less fourth-party now.
Fourth party is not a thing. Fittingly, maybe you are saying Banjo is not a thing.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Fourth party is not a thing. Fittingly, maybe you are saying Banjo is not a thing.
Yeah, Not to sound rude but this is where I draw the line and drop it.

Also I never was saying Banjo is not a thing. But saying he ISN’T 4th party at this point is rediculous. He’s about on the same level of 4th party as Master Chief now... Or any animation character for that matter. Endorsements and liscensing deals will have to be made regaurdless.

Asking for IPs from direct competitors have very slim chances, sadly as opposed to free 3rd parties who aren’t exclusive.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Also I never was saying Banjo is not a thing. But saying he ISN’T 4th party at this point is rediculous. He’s about on the same level of 4th party as Master Chief now... Or any animation character for that matter. Endorsements and liscensing deals will have to be made regaurdless.

Asking for IPs from direct competitors have very slim chances, sadly as opposed to free 3rd parties who aren’t exclusive.
4th party literally doesn't exist. Unless you're talking about the obscure british political group.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace

How is Banjo & Kazooie in the same vain as "any animation character"? As far as we know being competitors isn't affecting Banjo & Kazooie's chances. As of right now we do need confirmation that Microsoft still is willing but, I do doubt they have changed their stance since last asked. If their stance is the same as it was before; the ball is in Nintendo's court so to speak.

We need to let Nintendo know that we want Nintendo to work out a deal with Microsoft on getting Banjo & Kazooie in.Let's hope that they can come to a fair and reasonable agreement.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If Banjo & Kazooie did make it into Smash, do you think they would look their original design or their current incarnation? I would prefer their original design but Microsoft may only allow use of the character if Nintendo uses the design most associated with them.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Banjo & Kazooie did make it into Smash, do you think they would look their original design or their current incarnation? I would prefer their original design but Microsoft may only allow use of the character if Nintendo uses the design most associated with them.
I doubt it, I believe they understand what would be expected from a Banjo and Smash. I honestly do not understand the stigma that Microsoft is somehow protective of Banjo. They just own him and hardly use him. He is not their golden goose. They just redesigned him because they redesigned the game. That is typically what you would do. It is not as though they are super in love with it and would force NIntendo to use it, ha ha.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I still have my doubts Nintendo will sign a contract with a competitor regaurdless... Also I was pointing out how Microsoft doesn’t even use Banjo but if Nintendo can’t use the IP for something like a new game I really don’t a deal see it working out at all either considering he’s the property of a direct competitor. Phil Spencer approving means nothing when Nintendo is usually that strict and I doubt they will allow someone like Ratchet and Clank in Smash for that same reason...

Granted, at this point ANYTHING has a slim chance of happening. The MS Minecraft skins especially were surprising.

Again, not trying to troll or be an ass. But unless we see a new Banjo game on Switch (or AT ALL for that matter), I don’t see this going through sadly.

domriver

Smash Lord
I would love Banjo-Kazooie but its just so up in the air especially if Microsoft has their stamp all over Banjo-Kazooie . im all for Banjo Kazooie though.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I doubt it, I believe they understand what would be expected from a Banjo and Smash. I honestly do not understand the stigma that Microsoft is somehow protective of Banjo. They just own him and hardly use him. He is not their golden goose. They just redesigned him because they redesigned the game. That is typically what you would do. It is not as though they are super in love with it and would force NIntendo to use it, ha ha.
Well, I wasn't trying to suggest they are protective of Banjo or they even like Banjo over there. As far as I can see they don't really care about the franchise in the slightest. I just meant from a business position, it makes more sense to put Banjo in the form most associated with the company that currently controls him.

Morbi

Scavenger
I still have my doubts Nintendo will sign a contract with a competitor regaurdless... Also I was pointing out how Microsoft doesn’t even use Banjo but if Nintendo can’t use the IP for something like a new game I really don’t a deal see it working out at all either considering he’s the property of a direct competitor. Phil Spencer approving means nothing when Nintendo is usually that strict and I doubt they will allow someone like Ratchet and Clank in Smash for that same reason...

Granted, at this point ANYTHING has a slim chance of happening. The MS Minecraft skins especially were surprising.

Again, not trying to troll or be an ***. But unless we see a new Banjo game on Switch (or AT ALL for that matter), I don’t see this going through sadly.
I feel as though Cloud more or less dispels that notion. I understand that Microsoft also sells consoles, but their "direct" competitor would be Sony and that has not stopped anyone from suspecting Crash. Beyond that, I believe Microsoft and Nintendo have cross-play, correct? Probably Minecraft and Rocket League? I do not play either, but Sony is the company that does not want to play ball. Microsoft is more into creating powerful hardware while having the weakest line-up of IP and Nintendo is, well, the opposite.

The only reason I doubt it is because it did not happen during the ballot. He supposedly got less votes than Bayonetta... Or, more realistically, he topped her easily and Nintendo decided it was not feasible. So I guess I agree, but I disagree about the reasoning. Sure, perhaps that is what Nintendo believes, but they are wrong. Similar to how Marvel was treating Fox by killing off... comic-books? Yeah. They just do it because they can.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Only issue is Crash and Cloud aren’y directly owned by Sony or a direct first-party directly related to them. Ratchet and Clank and Banjo though ARE. ((Rare is basically a subsidiary company to MS now since the buyout much like 343 Industries.))

Morbi

Scavenger
Only issue is Crash and Cloud aren’y directly owned by Sony or a direct first-party directly related to them. Ratchet and Clank and Banjo though ARE. ((Rare is basically a subsidiary company to MS now since the buyout much like 343 Industries.))
I understand that; however, I thought the issue was association. I suppose not, because most people would probably associate Banjo with Nintendo as is, and yet, here we are.

Regardless, it is petty. The only hope is that Sakurai himself pushes for it, but I somewhat doubt that he would if he had other dream characters to pursue first.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I would say that if Microsoft is for Banjo & Kazooie being in Smash and Nintendo isn't; then we have to blame Nintendo (so long as they were being unreasonable). I don't see why Ninendo and Microsoft would have to make a deal based off creating a new game to get Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. As far as I'm aware that was never a stipulation on getting into Super Smash Bro for 3rd party characters.

Megaman didn't have a new game coming to Wii U nor did Pacman. If Microsoft and Nintendo can make Minecraft happen on Switch who is to say they can't work together to get Banjo & Kazooie into Smash Bros?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If Banjo was given realistic bear noises in Smash, I would cry.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
As far as I'm aware that was never a stipulation on getting into Super Smash Bro for 3rd party characters.
Megaman didn't have a new game coming to Wii U nor did Pacman. If Microsoft and Nintendo can make Minecraft happen on Switch who is to say they can't work together to get Banjo & Kazooie into Smash Bros?
That's not entirely true. All 3rd parties do have one stipulation, they have to be famous enough to warrant an invitation. Well, that and the parent company has to be willing but I don't feel that's a big issue. Who's honestly going to say no to having a character in Smash? Think about it, Megaman, Pacman, Sonic, Snake, Ryu, and Cloud are all major gaming icons. They don't need to be current their status alone makes them relevant. Bayonetta is a bit of an outlier but she "won" the ballot so her circumstances are unique. Banjo & Kazooie are famous but they don't come close to the recognition of the other 3rd party characters and so that could actually be a preventing factor. Still, there is a lot of fan demand and Xbox is willing so this could be his best chance.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Sakurai was prepared to abandon Pac-Man if Namco wouldn't let him use the classic design, so I don't think he'd be bullied into using a specific design for Banjo.

It's kinda hard to say either way which design they'd use. His classic design would fit way better, and it's more Nintendo-relevant. But I thought the same thing about Ryu and his SF2 design and Sakurai went for the more current SF4 one instead.

That's not entirely true. All 3rd parties do have one stipulation, they have to be famous enough to warrant an invitation. Well, that and the parent company has to be willing but I don't feel that's a big issue. Who's honestly going to say no to having a character in Smash? Think about it, Megaman, Pacman, Sonic, Snake, Ryu, and Cloud are all major gaming icons. They don't need to be current their status alone makes them relevant. Bayonetta is a bit of an outlier but she "won" the ballot so her circumstances are unique. Banjo & Kazooie are famous but they don't come close to the recognition of the other 3rd party characters and so that could actually be a preventing factor. Still, there is a lot of fan demand and Xbox is willing so this could be his best chance.
You seem to be forgetting that:
-Sakurai twice considered Geno
-He considered Heihachi
-He also considered Banjo-Kazooie (and James Bond) for Melee.

There is a finite number of characters that are as iconic as Sonic, Ryu and Pac-Man. Eventually the bar will be lowered (and already was, we've got Bayonetta).

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't know about the others but Mr. Bond was a result in a fan poll like the ballot. He was not a genuine consideration.
SG translated it:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/syukeiken/return526.html

James Bond: “Showing realistic guns = no good! Character uses an actor’s likeness = no good! Since the original game is based on a movie, getting those rights = no good! He’s Rare’s property = no good! Blocked on all fronts.”

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

Still considered, but seemingly not for long.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You seem to be forgetting that:
-Sakurai twice considered Geno
-He considered Heihachi
-He also considered Banjo-Kazooie (and James Bond) for Melee.

There is a finite number of characters that are as iconic as Sonic, Ryu and Pac-Man. Eventually the bar will be lowered (and already was, we've got Bayonetta).
I didn't forget those characters were considered it's just the fact remains they were dropped. Also, he considered Banjo and Kazooie while Rare was still apart of Nintendo. Once they were bought out it B&K were scrapped. Bond would have also been a huge name as he's an insanely well-known character so that wouldn't break the trend. And like I said, Bayonetta was due to the ballot so her circumstances are different. Though I will admit I was really just playing devil's advocate. The person I responded to said there was nothing going against B&K's inclusion but Nintendo's unwillingness to put them in. From Sakurai himself for a third party to be included "Both companies have to want the character to join the battle," and, "The character must carry game history with them," from these two criteria it would be easy to say that Nintendo doesn't want him but I was just saying based on who's actually managed to become a third party character it's also likely that he doesn't have enough gaming history behind him. To be fair everything mostly comes down to Sakurai's opinion so even though we think he's famous enough doesn't mean Sakurai does.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
Made a thread and didn’t see this one at all. Bringing my support here! It’s Time to turn the hype up for the Bear & Bird. It’s past time for them to join the ranks and we need buzz more than Mumbo needs some skulls. The Banjo support thread was on fire during the Ballot days, it’s time to be at the top of the hype list.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
How have I not posted in this thread yet?
Banjo and Kazooie are my absolute number 1 most wanted characters. I've wanted them in Smash since the days of the 64.
I loved playing their original game as a kid. and it even helped me make one of the best friends I've ever had in my life. so the series is very important to me.

Sonic may be my all time favorite gaming icon. but Banjo is definitely up there. and I got Sonic in Smash. now I just need the Bear and Bird to come home.

My question is his move set. Would he have just Banjo 1 & 2 moves? Or would they include Nuts & Bolts moves? What about his Final Smash?
Would anyone be mad if Banjo used the wrench from Nuts and Bolts?
There really wasn't anything in the way of "moves" in Nuts and Bolts was there? wasn't that like an entire THING in the game "oh hohoho, you don't need MOVES. you've got a car!" plus there's enough to draw from with Kazooie and Tooie to build a great moveset.

Personally, I'd be pretty upset if Banjo and Kazooie used that stupid wrench, the less reference to nuts and bolts, the better.
same goes for their design. if Banjo's nose looks like a brick I'm out. all the redesigns in Nuts and Bolts looked awful.
thankfully I don't see that happening. the "Nintendo Era" designs are the far more iconic ones. thinking about it. Banjo had his original design in Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge and Banjo Pilot. even the Minecraft skin seems to look more like his classic design than his new one to me.
meanwhile the Nuts and bolts design only appeared in Nuts & Bolts and Sonic and Sega - All-Stars Racing Transformed.
their old designs are the iconic ones. and the ones that have the most precedent with Nintendo.

Given how classic Megaman and Pacman were made (with Megaman not even being able to talk) I'd say they'd go for the more classic more iconic Banjo and Kazooie designs.
also I forgot to quote it. but I'd hate realistic Bear Noises or a new voice actor. either reused voice clips from the old games or bring back his original voice actor.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Rare and nintendo have also worked together after the acquistion with a lot of gameboy advance and ds games. Banjos pilot, diddy kong racing ds etc.
They also had to come to an agreement for DK64 on the virtual console as it still contains Jetpac.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I see the duo getting in as a longshot, but regardless, I will support Banjo-Kazooie and hope they get in, anyway. It would be fun to play as the fourth wall breaking duo in Smash Bros.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If his games are coming as remakes SN on the switch

That's when I will say count me in.

I will throw in a sign of hope

Relevance is not a factor

Sakurai actually wanted to do geno for smash bros brawl and Wii U/3ds that's why geno the failed attempt is probably why he got a mii costume in the first place

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I support. Let's hope that the impossible happens and Nintendo acquires Rare again, because the way Microsoft treats Rare's IP is ****ing horrendous. Pretty much the only way we could get Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, but I'm not letting my hopes down either!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I support. Let's hope that the impossible happens and Nintendo acquires Rare again, because the way Microsoft treats Rare's IP is ****ing horrendous. Pretty much the only way we could get Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, but I'm not letting my hopes down either!
I wouldn't say that, Phil Spencer is the head of gaming over at Microsoft and he's totally for their inclusion, so Nintendo doesn't need to buy Rare for it to happen. Hopefully, Sakurai takes him up on the offer this go around.

Top Bottom